Vaguely seeking recommendations

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

willpell
Banned

Vaguely seeking recommendations

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:46 am

I thought the "find a book" thread was this, but it's not, so since I don't see a thread of this type, I'm creating one. Basically, I feel an impulse to track down some of the must-read books that I don't own and have never gotten around to borrowing from the library. I'm a low-volume reader, so suggestions should be made only of those books that people regard as the absolute best and most important, and may be disregarded even then for spurious reasons; this is just a brainstorming session. I feel like there are specific titles in mind which I can't recall, based on having heard them alluded to; I'm just kind of collecting ideas. So throw out whatever ideas come to mind, but be very mindful of TLDR syndrome.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Synch
Game Master

Re: Vaguely seeking recommendations

Post by Synch » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:30 pm

My go-to best fantasy books to read are: LOTR; Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series; R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy; the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:42 am

My must-reads are:

1. His Dark Materials trilogy (Philip Pullman)
2. The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:56 am

Synch wrote:My go-to best fantasy books to read are: LOTR; Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series; R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy; the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.
I really am beginning to think we were separated at birth. If you add in McCaffrey's Tower and the Hive and her PERN series, you have my go-to list.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:59 am

LeGuin's "Earthsea" (without Tehanu, only the first three), LotR of course, Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" (I was blown away) and the compilation of fanfics from that universe... made by Gaimna, Martin, Williams and many others! It' called "Songs of the Dying Earth". Gaiman's "American Gods" is a must-read. Anything from Pratchett. John Gardner's "Grendel" is simply an astonishing piece of work. Last but not least "King Rat" by James Clavell.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:01 am

Grendel was awesome. Wrote my senior paper on it. :D
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 am

I want to go back and read Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" stuff. The tone and language were enjoyable, but heavy... many of the words the characters use for things in their world and society are not explained, as it is presented as a translation of a found history, if I recall. The reader figures out a sense of what the words mean in time, but I feel like it'll be possible to get a lot more out of it on a second read.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:20 pm

Wolfie wrote:
Synch wrote:My go-to best fantasy books to read are: LOTR; Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series; R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy; the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.
I really am beginning to think we were separated at birth. If you add in McCaffrey's Tower and the Hive and her PERN series, you have my go-to list.
I am a big fan of the Dragonriders of Pern series! Although I haven't read her other stuff. I also like Pier Anthony's Xanth series, but I've sadly outgrown those.
► Show Spoiler

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:31 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I want to go back and read Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" stuff. The tone and language were enjoyable, but heavy... many of the words the characters use for things in their world and society are not explained, as it is presented as a translation of a found history, if I recall. The reader figures out a sense of what the words mean in time, but I feel like it'll be possible to get a lot more out of it on a second read.
I've recently read the four volumes of this saga and I do agree - it was quite possibly one of the finest pieces of fantasy I've read. Ever. I'm currently enjoying Abercrombie's "The First Law" trilogy. Martinesque in its narration and the "grey and gray morality" thing goin' on there. An immensely enjoyable page-turner.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"