Currently Reading?

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

firefly
Mumbles Incoherently

Currently Reading?

Post by firefly » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 am

Was just wondering what are you currently reading. I recently started the first book of a Song of Ice and Fire and was quite happy with it (I had never watched the Game of Thrones TV series) but the my mum let out some spoilers and the book is currently on hold.

Before that I read the Secret History series by Simon Green, which I am still on the fence about, despite having read them all. I have trouble with suspension of disbelief when I read them, lol

So what are you currently reading or have you read recently?

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Re: Currently Reading?

Post by WastesTime » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:01 am

firefly wrote:Was just wondering what are you currently reading. I recently started the first book of a Song of Ice and Fire and was quite happy with it (I had never watched the Game of Thrones TV series) but the my mum let out some spoilers and the book is currently on hold.

Before that I read the Secret History series by Simon Green, which I am still on the fence about, despite having read them all. I have trouble with suspension of disbelief when I read them, lol

I'm currently reading A Dance With Dragons (so book number 5 from A Song of Ice and Fire) and I'll tell you this: some spoilers from the TV series are nothing because there is much and more going on and the series does not follow the books that strictly, so you might still be in for a bit of surprise. The biggest spoiler I can give you is: everybody dies (or everybody can die - even main characters. It's a lot like Goblins, come to think of it)
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Banewreaker and Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey. Followed by the rest of her Kushiel' Legacy series.
Last edited by Arydra on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm

After burning through a bunch of books that I didn't like well enough to finish, I've just started True Knight by Susan Dexter. So far it's not making me want to recycle it.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:18 am

I'm reading the second book in the Mysterious Benedict Society series. It's a YA mystery/spy type stories. They're fun.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 am

Just finished reading Cold Days, book like 1 billion in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Games:
► Show Spoiler

firefly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by firefly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 am

WastesTime wrote:
firefly wrote:Was just wondering what are you currently reading. I recently started the first book of a Song of Ice and Fire and was quite happy with it (I had never watched the Game of Thrones TV series) but the my mum let out some spoilers and the book is currently on hold.

I'm currently reading A Dance With Dragons (so book number 5 from A Song of Ice and Fire) and I'll tell you this: some spoilers from the TV series are nothing because there is much and more going on and the series does not follow the books that strictly, so you might still be in for a bit of surprise. The biggest spoiler I can give you is: everybody dies (or everybody can die - even main characters. It's a lot like Goblins, come to think of it)
Oh dear, I'll get addicted, sad and worried. Looks like it will be a good series of books.
John wrote:Just finished reading Cold Days, book like 1 billion in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
I read the Dresden Files, I quite liked them. Looking forward for the next one.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Wed May 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Just bought the first Codex of Alera series and ordered Kushiel's Chosen and Avatar. So I hope to finish it before the other two get here.

Anyone ever notice that when you head to a bookstore for a specific book, they never seem to have it? Or is it just me.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Sun May 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Not sure if it counts, but I'm reading Twilight Saga ( :paranoia: let me finish before you draw torches&pitchforks) through sporkings of das_mervin.
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun May 05, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm reading "Castle in the Air" by Dianna Wynne Jones

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun May 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Just finished Kushiel's Legacy series by Carry, now to find something new to read. Possibly this Discworld thing.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Tue May 14, 2013 12:35 am

I recently finished by bajillionth re-reading of The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss...but I think I've shamelessly plugged that series enough around here that everyone is probably tired of hearing about it. Le sigh.

I also just finished (as in, earlier today) Neuromancer, since it received such a glowing recommendation from Julia Stiles. I felt obliged to like it because it was the deadbeat dad of the cyberpunk genre...but it was honestly very hard to follow with all the future-slang.

I just started Cryptonomicon, because it's another "If you're a nerd, you must read this" kind of book. At this point, it's anything to distract me until the next Dresden Files, or until The Doors of Stone.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 am

Lamentation, by Ken Scholes. This book felt odd for quite some time while I was reading it, and I think I've figured out why. There are virtually no scenes where you see long-acquainted characters interacting. Everyone is a stranger or an enemy of everyone else. It produces an unusual tone in the story.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sun May 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Decided to give R.A Salvatore a try and picked up The Highwayman at a small booksale
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 pm

The Highwayman, The Ancient, and The Dame were all great books, but I could never get into The Bear. It is a good choice for an introduction into R.A Salvatore, although most people start with Drizzt.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Mon May 20, 2013 8:49 am

There was one Drizzt book there, the second in the Icewind Dale Trilogy but I avoided it because I fear that the character of Drizzt has been ruined for me by endless parodies and badly done expies. I couldn't take the concept of Drizzt seriously. Plus it's annoying when they have the middle books of a series but not the beginning ones.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Fri May 31, 2013 5:25 am

I've recently read

"The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson, and thought it was great!
and
"Peeps" by Scott Westerfeld. I think it was good, but it could have actually been a trilogy or something instead of a stand alone.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Fri May 31, 2013 7:21 am

I'm currently finished with Martin's epic and waiting for the upcoming volume. For something more light-hearted I started reading Terry Pratchett's "The Last Continent" - so far, his brilliance and sense of humor is as astonishing as ever. :D
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Fri May 31, 2013 7:26 am

I had to stop the Drizzt saga after Gauntlgrym. It just didn't do anything for me anymore. Haven't ventured into other novels of his yet. Actually started trying some Ed Greenwood (I think that's his name), the man who really started the Forgotten Realms novel universe.
Games:
► Show Spoiler

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:50 pm

I've recently read a couple of free books on Amazon that I liked a lot:

Captain James Hook And the Curse of Peter Pan and My Sparkling Misfortune

Well, they're not free now, but they were when either Bookbub or Pixel of Ink advertised them to me.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:23 pm

I just finished Charles Sheffield's Cold As Ice. Pretty good characters, ok plot, but if unrealistic biology bothers you, skip it. I liked it anyway.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:43 pm

What do you mean by unrealistic biology? Is it biology of fictional organisms, or did they just mess with real biology?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:43 am

My current read is unworthy of mention, but I'll want in on this thread when I'm done with it and move on to something decent. Last several novels I did were Steve Brust's "Athyra", Spider Robinson's "Callahan's Lady" (I read the sequel first), and Jim Butcher's "Storm Front" (I watched the rather lacking Dresden TV show first). Plus I just finished off two collections of Robert Sheckley short stories, and have been wading my way through an episode guide to the Outer Limits since I just got around to watching two videotaped episodes I had (one of which I still have). Next on the docket: "The Barbie Murders" by John Varley.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:44 am

Currently I am looking for a book to read. I think I might run over to Barnes and Noble later and try and find something. I did just finish Sanderson's Way of Kings (again), The first 2 Dragonlance trilogies (always a good read), and a small collection of Tennyson. I had started Ann Rand's The Fountainhead, but I was unable to finish it.
Anyone have a few suggestions of what to look for when I head into the bookstore?

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Arydra wrote:Currently I am looking for a book to read. I think I might run over to Barnes and Noble later and try and find something. I did just finish Sanderson's Way of Kings (again), The first 2 Dragonlance trilogies (always a good read), and a small collection of Tennyson. I had started Ann Rand's The Fountainhead, but I was unable to finish it.
Anyone have a few suggestions of what to look for when I head into the bookstore?
I suggest The Name of the Wind, but I always suggest that.

EDIT: And Neil Gaiman has a new novel coming out on June 18th: The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I already have it queued up on my Kindle, and I'm pretty excited about it. It also has the Path Rothfuss Seal of Approval, so that's cool.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler