A Song of Ice And Fire/Game of Thrones

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

A Song of Ice And Fire/Game of Thrones

Post by TinSoldier » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 pm

I haven't read "A Dance With Dragons" yet. I was disappointed with "A Feast For Crows" when I read it (several years ago, after several years of waiting). I love the TV series and have seasons 1 and 2 on Blu-Ray, and I plan on watching season three when it starts up in a month.

So, whither Westeros?

Edit: If anyone can kill more beloved characters than Thunt, it is George R. R. Martin (and Joss Whedon, of course).

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: A Song of Ice And Fire/Game of Thrones

Post by Wolfie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm anxiously awaiting the date when the next book comes out so I can spend the previous 6 weeks catching up with the series... again.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 am

I started reading the first book only today and I am really hooked on it. It was a drastic change for me, as I've just finished reading Le Guin's second tome of the Earthsea Trilogy, but Martin's heroic fantasy is, I can see that already, one of the best the genre has to offer! The only thing that needs some getting used to is a crap-load of characters to remember. In the first four chapters I was acquainted with about 15 people, the amount I've found in two first books (sic!) of the Earthsea Trilogy.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 am

WastesTime wrote:I started reading the first book only today and I am really hooked on it. It was a drastic change for me, as I've just finished reading Le Guin's second tome of the Earthsea Trilogy, but Martin's heroic fantasy is, I can see that already, one of the best the genre has to offer! The only thing that needs some getting used to is a crap-load of characters to remember. In the first four chapters I was acquainted with about 15 people, the amount I've found in two first books (sic!) of the Earthsea Trilogy.
It's not the characters you have to worry about... it's the plot lines. They're more tangled and convoluted than a yarn factory overrun with kittens. There are about 10 characters you really need to pay attention to... but you'll figure that out on your own. :)

Good luck, it's a well written series that makes you think and might make you root for characters you initially hate.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Wolfie wrote:
It's not the characters you have to worry about... it's the plot lines. They're more tangled and convoluted than a yarn factory overrun with kittens. There are about 10 characters you really need to pay attention to... but you'll figure that out on your own. :)

Good luck, it's a well written series that makes you think and might make you root for characters you initially hate.

Initially, the only characters I truly hate are the loveable twins of the House Lannister. The rest is pretty cool and some of them classify as overly manly men (taken to the extreme).
I like how Martin presents his characters and how each chapter is from a different perspective, that is really well done. As for the plot lines: I already can see that by the 5th book it's gonna be one hell of a ride.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:37 pm

WastesTime wrote:Initially, the only characters I truly hate are the loveable twins of the House Lannister. The rest is pretty cool and some of them classify as overly manly men (taken to the extreme).
I like how Martin presents his characters and how each chapter is from a different perspective, that is really well done. As for the plot lines: I already can see that by the 5th book it's gonna be one hell of a ride.
Lovable twins? Pun intended? :lol:

Oh it is one hell of a ride. I've ended up rooting for characters I can't stand, hoping and waiting for other things to happen.. then have to wait for the next book because stuff hasn't happened yet. Martin is good at making you invest yourself in his books.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Wolfie wrote:
WastesTime wrote:Initially, the only characters I truly hate are the loveable twins of the House Lannister. The rest is pretty cool and some of them classify as overly manly men (taken to the extreme).

Oh it is one hell of a ride. I've ended up rooting for characters I can't stand, hoping and waiting for other things to happen.. then have to wait for the next book because stuff hasn't happened yet. Martin is good at making you invest yourself in his books.
I didn't see that pun about the twins coming.

As for his books: I bought them for a fairly cheap price, a book set of 6, UK edition. The pace I am reading them at makes me realize I'll be dying to get my hands on the 6th installment of the series. He planned two more books which will wrap up the saga, did he not?

EDIT: The pun about the twins "coming" was not intended either! Gosh, I need to take my mind out of the gutter!

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm

WastesTime wrote:
Wolfie wrote:
WastesTime wrote:Initially, the only characters I truly hate are the loveable twins of the House Lannister.
I didn't see that pun about the twins coming.

EDIT: The pun about the twins "coming" was not intended either! Gosh, I need to take my mind out of the gutter!
I'm dying over here... seriously. :lol:

Rogbull
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Rogbull

Post by Rogbull » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Everyone roots for Stannis, right?

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:20 am

Rogbull wrote:Everyone roots for Stannis, right?
I'm watching you Rogbull :glare:

Our last fantasy football league was Game Of Thrones themed. It provoked some pretty clever team names :lol:

EDIT: American Football (Tackle Football)
Games:
► Show Spoiler

Rogbull
Of Few Words

Post by Rogbull » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:08 am

You mean American hand egg?

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:21 am

I can't remember which book I last finished - I'm going to assume it was the most current unless one has came out within the last year?

My favourites currently, as of the last reading...

John Snow. Tyrion.. and surprisingly, I find myself rooting for Sansa.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Rogbull
Of Few Words

Post by Rogbull » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:27 am

On the topic of Stannis though:
► Show Spoiler

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 am

lingrem wrote:I can't remember which book I last finished - I'm going to assume it was the most current unless one has came out within the last year?

My favourites currently, as of the last reading...

John Snow. Tyrion.. and surprisingly, I find myself rooting for Sansa.
I too like John Snow and Tyrion. As of right now, I loathe Sansa (I'm up to date on all the books), but I expect a major turn for her eventually. I find that Sir Davos is up there as well as Bronn for characters I like.

Dance with Dragons spoilers below
► Show Spoiler
Games:
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm

My prediction:
► Show Spoiler

Rogbull
Of Few Words

Post by Rogbull » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:22 pm

Lingrim, are you just saying that because you think they'd make a cute couple? I don't think your prediction will come true, I'm sorry to say.

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:46 am

I think:
► Show Spoiler
Games:
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:09 am

Rogbull wrote:Lingrim, are you just saying that because you think they'd make a cute couple? I don't think your prediction will come true, I'm sorry to say.
► Show Spoiler
I know that I hadn't explained my thoughts before, but I sort of find your assumption about my reasoning rather insulting.
John wrote:I think:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Rogbull
Of Few Words

Post by Rogbull » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:47 pm

My apoligies for stereotyping you Lingrem, it won't happen again or more realisticly speaking, I'll try not to. Shouldn't add that last part but I seem to have a knack for it.

On topic though, with added spoilers of latest book:
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:55 pm

No worries, you're forgiven!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:59 am

I love this series - book 4 was slow, but book 5 is building up again and I'm hoping that book 6 will be an epic one (much like book three was!).

Anyway, just dropped in to say: TinSoldier - keep reading! Book 5 (Dance with Dragons) is totally worth it! I'm going to disappear now before I get drawn into a massive conversation about all this and accidentally spoil it all for someone.

Though none of you mention Reek! I very much like where his story's going...

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 am

thinkslogically wrote:Though none of you mention Reek! I very much like where his story's going...
Reek is .... not my favorite character, although his *is* a redemption story.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:59 pm

thinkslogically wrote:I love this series - book 4 was slow, but book 5 is building up again and I'm hoping that book 6 will be an epic one (much like book three was!).

Anyway, just dropped in to say: TinSoldier - keep reading! Book 5 (Dance with Dragons) is totally worth it! I'm going to disappear now before I get drawn into a massive conversation about all this and accidentally spoil it all for someone.

Though none of you mention Reek! I very much like where his story's going...
Thanks, I really need to.

I'm torn between re-reading from the beginning or just starting in on Dance.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm at the end of book one and I must say that it is an AMAZING experience. It is not as hard to keep with the plot lines as I had imagined. Thankfully, the names of the chapters are the names of the characters and I've grown so attached to most of them, either through love or hate, that I know where am I the second I glance at the title.

I didn't watch the Game of Thrones on HBO but
► Show Spoiler

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:59 pm

And more spoiler predictions
► Show Spoiler
Games:
► Show Spoiler