Minecraft Realms?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Minecraft Realms?

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm considering picking up a Minecraft Realm once the month clicks over. How many of you would be interested in playing on it?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Minecraft Realms?

Post by Jacon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Matters what kind of minecraft server it is. I prefer survival/clans/anarchy to building servers.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Depending on what people want, vanilla survival with PVP most likely. I plan on building villages 250K out in the eight possible directions, then leave people to have at it (biome size = 1, so very few if any villages, or maybe nothing but desert biome and start off everyone with enough trees and dirt to make an oasis somewhere, I dunno)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 am

Hmm, well, I won't have much time... But I'm fresh for the one I have...
I like pvp, but I do prefer that the following 2 guidelines are heald.
1: each player have a "do not raid" chest at spawn.
2: no deliberate destruction of buildings. (doors aside)

I also like the idea that each player has a "safe zone" where only he and mods can build/destroy... But that's a mod as far as I remember, so that's up to the Administration....

That's just my 2cents.
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:05 am

I miss the old free-for-all PVP games which made the area immediately outside of the "safe-area" look like a giant bomb went off.

As for the whole safe-zone thing, you could kind of do what LAYF did in his only slightly different.

Create a central "town" area and then have say 20x20 or 10x10 (up/down height?), land plots that each player could build their own house of sorts, and then everything outside of safe-zone is a free-for-all kill or be killed.

I would totally be in for that.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:51 am

I'm that annoying bugger that runs out exploring everywhere. I love huge building projects, but I don't like creative because I like having to earn what I use to build.
I enjoy PvP, but I'm admittedly more a fan of having seperated PvP and building/general survival areas.

[edit]
I also take personal delight in getting to construct arenas for spleef, general combat, etc.
Last edited by Amara on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 am

I'm not really much of a minecraft player, but might pop in once in a while
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Layf: Realms isn't moddable, it'd be classic vanilla with just agreed upon rules and such. 10 people online max, whitelist 20 max... so if I built one "town" at a huge distance in all eight directions, that's more than enough for people to get started and maybe who knows, there will be 100K length rails or something. I'll decide after the first of the month.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I like the LEGO-part of the game, so I mostly played creative or asked the admins to be given builder rights, which is using creative even if it was a non creative world, as long as I did not take part in the currency system. I can send a view screenshots and schematics if you want to get your world started. I once was a top architect...not sure if that is still up to date in the current versions which include much more blocks.
I once build a nice little Kontor on LAYFs old server. We did build a little goblin town there. :)
:zzz:

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Y'know, now that I think about it. What if we started a Realm specifically for exploring, trying to go as far as we can, with some self imposed rules? I've been wanting to record and youtube that stuff for a while now, and we could all get together on Skype or something about it. I'd call it Journey On A Pixelated Road.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 am

hm. depends on your server. some have fix limits for the map, so after that limit it will not allow us to advance any further so no more chunks outside the limited world get generated. I did something like that on public servers, often they block worlds after several 1000 blocks in each direction. Largest world so far was 80.000x80.000 blocks I think, I hit a wall at around 40.000 from the center.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:38 am

That is an option made by the admin of the server not the server itself. Both Aegis and I were in a server about a year ago that extended into the millions...but then when the current owner decided to quit and another guy took it up, he made a 20,000 limit.

It's an option as the server admin so that the game doesn't slow down due to so many chunks needing to be loaded constantly.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:13 am

If we do not place items that keep an chunk active, it should be no problem.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:36 am

It's not just about items, its also about people. When you spread out in all directions to claim a small bit of land as your own.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 am

The server would take tremendous load from constantly generating new chunks, active chunks are not the problem of explorative gameplay.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Alright. Here's what I'm going to do. If people are willing to pitch in for a Minecraft Realm, I'll get it and either jumpstart Journey On A Pixelated Road with a group of people we can then upload to Youtube once a week, or set up small towns 100K from spawn that each person can claim (and enable raiding/PVP) --- the distance between towns will give people a chance to build up resources first.

Minecraft Realms for 6 months is $62 (go big or go home). If you're interested in pitching in, send me a PM and I will give you my paypal address (I'll send back the money if we don't get enough by the end of the week). Wonder what the main forum might want; if people pitch in for a more powerful server elsewhere, that will bypass the 10 player limit of a Minecraft Realm. Think I should post in the main forum (possibly the Community forum)?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:34 pm

As I'm not a paypal person, I shall be willing to pay you in person...

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Well, let's see if I get any other responses before I begin to empty your wallet, bank account, will to live, and soul :P

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:45 pm

mmhm....you still owe me 5 bucks...so, perhaps that can be my payment. :P

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Sorry, but so far I only payed for Minecraft to get my account. There are so many good free servers. I can see why you want an own server, but it is also a looot of work. On the other hand, 10$ per month is not that much if shared. But I fear I might almost never hit the timezone you play, so I guess I will not take part in this. USA-afternoon till night is deep in the night, almost morning here. :/