D&D 5e - The Wandering Archipelago

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e (1 space left) - Set-up phase

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:13 am

Hi Nioca! Don't think I've seen you around since the last time we were in a D&D game here together. Welcome!

@Thinks: If you're limiting each character combo to one use, striking through the ones that have been claimed might make it easier for Nioca.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 am

Okay, how's this sound...?

Kal grew up in a small wood elf village out in the forest. His mother, a human ranger, had moved there after marrying his father, a wood elf cleric of *good-aligned elven god, probably associated with nature, light, and/or healing*. All he's ever known has been a simple life - living off the land, tending his father's shrine, and helping his mother hunt any dangerous creatures that get too close to the village or what passes for roads in the area.

Young and naive, Kal has decided he'd like to experience a little more of the world. He's respectful of other faiths and traditions (as long as they're not evil) and understands that sometimes hard things must be done to survive. Still, he's idealistic and charitable. He has little use for more than he can carry, and was raised to watch out for and protect others. He believes that to be a noble calling.

Kal has studied the religions of the realm, but his father is the only cleric he knows. It's almost unthinkable to him that anyone like his father could be untrustworthy.

With the blessing of his parents (in the case of his father, literally so), Kal has set course for a small piece of the wider world - a trading post on the edge of the forest. His mother told him to seek out a noble dragonborn she heard might be in the area. Once, long ago, she did a service for that family which she hopes will be remembered. A noble patron might help ease Kal into civilization.
► Show Spoiler
What have you brought with you?

Fairly basic adventuring equipment. (Battle axe, armor, bow & arrows, belt knife, flint and steel, etc.) And a small amount of coin.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:46 am

WearsHats wrote:For being a Half-Wood Elf, I'll take the extra +5 speed.
I may have missed it, but don't think half-woods get the +5 speed of their parent in 5e.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:53 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
WearsHats wrote:For being a Half-Wood Elf, I'll take the extra +5 speed.
I may have missed it, but don't think half-woods get the +5 speed of their parent in 5e.
I think I know what it is:

The Half Elf Variant (listed on p. 116 of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) allows a Half Elf to trade in the two skill bonuses for:

A Half Wood Elf can get Elf Weapon Training(p. 23 PHB, high elf feature), Fleet of Foot(p. 24 PHB wood elf feature), or Mask of the Wild(p. 24 PHB, wood elf feature).
A Half Sun or Moon Elf (SCAG p. 106) can get Elf Weapon Training (see above) or a free Cantrip.
A Half Drow elf can choose Drow Magic(p. 24 PHB)
A Half Aquatic elf can choose a swimming speed of 30 feet.
-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:59 am

From the wiki:
The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide includes rules for half-elf racial variants, allowing them to have sub-races like several other races. Basically, they can trade out their bonus skill proficiencies for the other elf races' bonuses.

Any kind of half-elf can trade for an upgrade to darkvision and proficiency in perception, half-high elves can gain a wizard cantrip, half-wood elves can gain a five foot speed boost or an improved ability to hide in the wild, and both of the above can gain elf weapon training. Meanwhile, half-drow gain drow magic, while half-Aquatic Elves have a 30-ft swim speed. (Whew!)
Looks like I misread. If it means trading in my skill bonuses, that's probably not worth it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:07 am

Are the variants in the PHB or sword coast only? I'd prefer to stick to the PHB for the most part cos that's a) simpler and b) I have it :)

Saying that, this seems like a fairly innocuous, one-off skills trade and I'm OK allowing it if you don't want the extra 2 skill proficiencies from skill versatility.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 am

Ah, I keep forgetting that they've been releasing other variants. I've also only got the PHB.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:07 am

Sorry, I'm just working from the wiki (and the free Android app), and too tired to read straight.

I'll keep the skill proficiencies. They're more in line with the character. But thanks.

(Can I get that extra 5 foot speed if I trade in my ability to rhyme on purpose?)

► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:18 am

I was lucky enough to get a release deal on 5e from a local shop. 3 starter books and one extra later release for the price of two books...
So I got PhB, DmG, MM and SoAG
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:24 am

Don't worry about it wears, it's inevitable with the amount of stuff online! That's fine though if you want to keep your skills.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:27 pm

LAYF wrote:I was lucky enough to get a release deal on 5e from a local shop. 3 starter books and one extra later release for the price of two books...
So I got PhB, DmG, MM and SoAG
Nice! I only got the PHB and DMG, but got them used for ~1/2 price. Somehow a pack of wild pdfs for the starter 3 found their way onto my computer though... At some point I'll pick up a hard copy of the MM.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Hi Nioca! Don't think I've seen you around since the last time we were in a D&D game here together. Welcome!
I was around in the PTU games, but with the exception of Mortimer's, those slowly died off. Anyway, thanks!

I was looking into the Half-Elf Paladin, but it looks like Wears already snagged that. Seeing as we seem to have a pretty balanced party at this point I'm looking into the Wood Elf Druid Urchin, seeing as we seem to be set for most roles. Although that's one heck of a combo in and of itself, seeing as you usually don't see the concepts of "Druid" and "Street Urchin" in the same breath, so I'm still poking at making that work at the moment. Should have some more info up shortly.

EDIT: Stat Rolls: 14, 13, 10, 9, 9, 8

:grumble: Wow. That's actually kinda horrible. Standard array it is!
Last edited by Nioca on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: D&D 5e (full?) - Set-up phase

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Wait, I've gone through the character creator app again, and it says I get two bonus skill proficiencies for being a half elf and two starting skills that everyone gets? Going to have to look over the material again.

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:24 pm

Nioca wrote:EDIT: Stat Rolls: 14, 13, 10, 9, 9, 8

:grumble: Wow. That's actually kinda horrible. Standard array it is!
Welcome to the realm of mediocrity! It's just you and me in here, so let's get along. :P
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 am

Okay, so looking things up and attempting to cross-reference because the free "basic rules" doesn't really do that good a job at walking you through this stuff and doesn't include paladins and half-elves:

Half-elf:
Stat bonuses (already accounted for)
Skills: Choose 2 (Nature and Survival)
Darkvision
Resistance to charm, immunity to sleep spells.
Languages: Common, Elvish, and one more. Let's go with Draconic, since there are Lizardfolk in the woods and that's what they speak.

Acolyte:
Skills: Insight and Religion.
Equipment: Holy symbol (amulet). Prayer book, 5 sticks of incense, priestly vestments, common clothes, pouch with 15gp.
Feature: Free healing at most temples for me and the party (must provide spell components), free room & board for me at temples and shrines of my religion. Support from clerics of my god.

Paladin:
Proficiencies in all armor, shields, simple and martial weapons.
Saving throw proficiencies: Widsom & Charisma.
Divine sense: As an action, can detect strong good or evil in the area. Can use it 3 times (1+CHA mod) per day.
Lay on Hands: Can heal 5xlevel HP/day. Can use 5HP from that pool to cure disease or poison.
Starting gold: 5d4*10. I rolled a 10. I don't know if we're doing starting gold that way, but it gives me a ballpark.
Skills: Choice of 2 from a limited list. I'll go with Medicine and Athletics.
Equipment: Martial weapon (battleaxe), shield, five javelins, explorer's pack, chain mail, holy symbol (already covered)

So I've got 115 gp to spend.

Equipment:
Already have:
Chain mail (AC 16)
Battleaxe 1d8 slashing damage. 1d10 if wielded two-handed.
Shield (+2 AC)
5 javelins
Explorer's pack: Backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days rations, waterskin, 50 feet of hempen rope.
Acolyte kit: Holy symbol (amulet). Prayer book, 5 sticks of incense, priestly vestments, common clothes.

Buying:
Longbow (50gp) 1d8 piercing damage. Range 150/600.
20 Arrows (1gp)
Quiver (1gp)
Healer's kit (5gp)
Hunting trap (5gp)
Leather worker's tools (5gp)
Wood carving tools (1gp)
Cook's utensils (1gp)
Deck of cards (5gp)
Herbalism kit (5gp)
Sewing kit (1gp) - not listed, but I'm assuming roughly equivalent to weaver's tools
Total: 80 gp. Leaving me 35gp in my coin pouch.

Physical description: Young (22) half-elf. Brown skin, dark brown hair, green eyes. Stocky build for an elf, but somewhat slender by human standards. Height 5'10" (just under 1.8 meters). Weight 155lbs (around 70kg).
Alignment: LG

I took the tools because I like the idea of him having them. They seem fitting. But his class and background don't give him proficiencies with them, and I don't see the rules for gaining those proficiencies other than expending a feat. But I don't think I get a feat? Unless I take that feat at level 4 instead of ability score improvement? But I can still use the tools and just making the requisite dex check or whatever, right?

How's that? Look good? Am I missing anything?
Last edited by WearsHats on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updating

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:10 am

From what I understood of the Starting Gold, it's an alternative to the starting equipment, rather than an addition. So if you're not happy with what your class starts out with you can try buying equipment instead and hope you roll well enough to get a better set of equipment.

Yep, found it. From the Player's Handbook:
When you create your character, you receive equipment based on a combination of your class and background. Alternatively, you can start with a number of gold pieces based on your class and spend them on items from the lists in this chapter.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:08 am

Nioca wrote: I'm looking into the Wood Elf Druid Urchin, seeing as we seem to be set for most roles. Although that's one heck of a combo in and of itself, seeing as you usually don't see the concepts of "Druid" and "Street Urchin" in the same breath, so I'm still poking at making that work at the moment.
It is a bit unusual, but keep in mind that the background only has to be what you were, while the class is what you are becoming. So while a character may have been solely defined as an urchin or noble, etc., with the addition of class levels, they are becoming something more. So you could have ended up an urchin at a young age before fleeing to the wilds once you were old enough to make it on your own... or been drawn to parks and natural places within the city and come up as some sort of urban druid?
WearsHats wrote:I took the tools because I like the idea of him having them. They seem fitting. But his class and background don't give him proficiencies with them, and I don't see the rules for gaining those proficiencies other than expending a feat. But I don't think I get a feat? Unless I take that feat at level 4 instead of ability score improvement? But I can still use the tools and just making the requisite dex check or whatever, right?

How's that? Look good? Am I missing anything?
Dlover is correct in that you either get the starting equipment OR can take the gold and build out your own kit.

There are ways to gain proficiency, but it takes a while...
Training
You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools. Your DM might
allow additional training options.
First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one
or more ability checks are required.
The training lasts for 250 days and costs 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount o f time and money,
you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.

Generally speaking, you can use the tools w/o proficiency to attempt do something unless proficiency is required or only possible with proficiency (eg, proficiency with a herbalism kit is required to be able to make a potion of healing with it). You just don't get to add your proficiency bonus.

You are correct that you can take a feat in place of the ASI at 4th level.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 am

Guess I'll go with the gp then, if that's okay. I do still get the acolyte stuff (including the extra 15gp), right?

Equipment:
Hide armor (10gp): AC 13 (12+DEX)
Explorer's pack (10gp): Backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days rations, waterskin, 50 feet of hempen rope.
Acolyte kit: Holy symbol (amulet). Prayer book, 5 sticks of incense, priestly vestments, common clothes, coin pouch.
Battleaxe (1ogp) 1d8 slashing damage. 1d10 if wielded two-handed.
Longbow (50gp) 1d8 piercing damage. Range 150/600.
20 Arrows (1gp)
Quiver (1gp)
Healer's kit (5gp)
Hunting trap (5gp)
Leather worker's tools (5gp)
Wood carving tools (1gp)
Cook's utensils (1gp)
Deck of cards (5gp)
Herbalism kit (5gp)
Sewing kit (1gp) - not listed, but I'm assuming roughly equivalent to weaver's tools

That comes to 110gp, leaving me 5gp in my pouch. It does lower my AC a bit, but hide armor feels more right for the character anyway. I was even considering try to see if I could trade in the chain mail. It just doesn't seem like something you'd find out in a remote village in the woods.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 am

Yup, thats fine - starting with either money or the starting gear is fine by me, especially if you have ic reasons for it. You'll certainly have a chance to buy your gear in game when we get started if you prefer, and the standard phb equipment will all be available.

Thanks for helping each other out with the rules etc too - I think we've got a bunch of different time zones / work schedules going on so it's great that you're not completely stuck waiting for me :) that also means I'll aim for a once a day update while we settle in, to make sure you're all getting a chance to act more or less as much as each other(with the exclusion of fluffy activities (e.g. ic chatting), and combat which is ordered) but it'll be based partly on you guys too - if you all update super fast I'll try and keep up :)

Thanks for those links etc wears, I'll add all that to the player post on page 1 when I get to a computer.

As far as handling gameplay goes, I'm hoping that you guys will mostly handle your own character stats, equipment etc. I'm obviously happy to help, but it'll vastly speed us up if I don't have to track your spell-uses / HP / skills etc. I'll check the final character sheets before we go, but I'm pretty much going to trust that you guys are looking after your own PCs.

Other than that, well be good to start as soon as you guys give me the OK and nioca has a PC built :)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 am

WearsHats wrote:Guess I'll go with the gp then, if that's okay. I do still get the acolyte stuff (including the extra 15gp), right?
From the Player's Handbook:
When you create your character, you receive equipment based on a combination of your class and background. Alternatively, you can start with a number of gold pieces based on your class and spend them on items from the lists in this chapter.
So no, the acolyte stuff would be overwritten by the starting funds, too, unfortunately.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 am

Hmm. For the heck of it, I rerolled, since 10 on 5d4 is a little low. I got 12 on the reroll. But that was just curiosity.

I'll rejigger things tomorrow (used up my verticality for the day) so it comes in under 100. Downgrading to a short bow should do it. Don't think I need everything in the acolyte kit, anyway.

Thanks for the help.

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:12 am

100 gp is nothing to scoff at. Anyways I am not sure if i can keep my warlock stuff if I went for the money so I am going to keep my kit for now. Question: can the trap in question be a net trap or something that doesnt cause damage/harm? And can we buy things with our starting moneys? I need to grab me some cowbell :p

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:22 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:100 gp is nothing to scoff at. Anyways I am not sure if i can keep my warlock stuff if I went for the money so I am going to keep my kit for now. Question: can the trap in question be a net trap or something that doesnt cause damage/harm? And can we buy things with our starting moneys? I need to grab me some cowbell :p
True 100gp is a decent amount, but the retail value of his 'take the equipment gear' would have exceeded 100gp, just not the items he wanted.

No, if you went for the money too, you'd not be able to keep warlock stuff, and have to start naked.

I think the "Cowbell Emporium" is right next to "Quarterstaffs 'R' Us"... ;)

***Not sure if you have access to the book, but here is the RAW description of the hunting trap.
Hunting Trap. When you use your action to set it, this trap forms a saw-toothed steel ring that snaps shut when a creature steps on a pressure plate in the center. The trap is affixed by a heavy chain to an immobile object, such as a tree or a spike driven into the ground. A creature that steps on the plate must succeed on a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or take 1d4 piercing damage and stop moving. Thereafter, until the creature breaks free of the trap, its movement is limited by the length of the chain (typically 3 feet long). A creature can use
its action to make a DC 13 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Each failed check deals 1 piercing damage to the trapped creature.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:30 am

Yeaaa stuff from warlock exceeds most of starting money, espessially scholar's pack. And while running around naked might be fine for the pally, I quite like my stuff.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:55 am

thinkslogically wrote:Yup, thats fine - starting with either money or the starting gear is fine by me, especially if you have ic reasons for it. You'll certainly have a chance to buy your gear in game when we get started if you prefer, and the standard phb equipment will all be available.
I'll hold off on sourcing a quarterstaff until we've started. Wears, rather than taking a shortbow if you're wanting the long, you could possibly hold off on some of the tools and we can pick them up in town (unless they have character implications, of course). I'd be willing to chip in on woodcarving tools after you help me find a good not-snake to make a quarterstaff from!
thinkslogically wrote: Thanks for helping each other out with the rules etc too - I think we've got a bunch of different time zones / work schedules going on so it's great that you're not completely stuck waiting for me :) that also means I'll aim for a once a day update while we settle in, to make sure you're all getting a chance to act more or less as much as each other(with the exclusion of fluffy activities (e.g. ic chatting), and combat which is ordered) but it'll be based partly on you guys too - if you all update super fast I'll try and keep up :)
You bet. I know a bunch of us are on US-Eastern (well... Wears is kind of in a timezone unto himself...), where are other folks at?
thinkslogically wrote: Other than that, well be good to start as soon as you guys give me the OK and nioca has a PC built :)
Ready when you all are!
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Yeaaa stuff from warlock exceeds most of starting money, espessially scholar's pack. And while running around naked might be fine for the pally, I quite like my stuff.
I think running around naked would not be good for the paladin... I on the other hand, would be just fine naked. Same AC as in clothes, and I can still punch, kick, headbutt and elbow. :P
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler