UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: D&D 5e (full) - Set-up phase

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:55 pm

I am fine with whatever.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:21 pm

All right, that gives us 3 votes for a trade venture to Hightown; 1 for swashbuckling piracy and 1 abstain. Wears still has a say, but I think we'll assume that we're probably going to start with "Spider's plan" and a mixed group of PCs.

For those of you not familiar with 5e, the "background" is really the new part of character creation and is a proxy for your PC's life experiences to date. It provides some extra skills and starting equipment for your PC, and offers options for your "personality trait"; "ideal"; and "bond" (to another (N)PC) and "flaw". Sometimes it'll mesh readily with your PC's class; other times there'll be a bit of a clash that you need to reconcile into your background somehow.

Ok, so without further ado, here's your starting set of mixed PC options. If you change your minds and would rather play an single race / single class group or something that's completely fine. I can make new lists very easily :)
► Show Spoiler
We'll be rolling for stats etc in due course, but hopefully this gives you guys some food for thought in terms of creating the idea of your PCs and why the hell you're setting out to live on the edge of the biggest, wildest jungle in the world :)

Some questions to consider when building your characters:
► Show Spoiler
Also (obviously) have a think about your PC's personality. If you google personality traits / flaws / ideals and bonds for 5e you should find a bunch that correspond to the different backgrounds, but I'm more than happy to go with your own ideas if you come up with something workable. When it comes to your flaw, try and make it an actual flaw, but one you can actually play. If you play to your flaws in 5e, you can earn "inspiration" which is basically a free dice roll that you can use whenever you like. They are pretty good for saving your ass in tricky predicaments, and are designed to encourage role-playing.

I'm happy for you guys to build the party as a group, but similarly, if you want to have secrets or keep your flaw / true motivations secret from the group you're welcome to PM me and we can discuss your plans. I'm not going to explicitly ban PvP in-game, but the assumption is that you guys are working together to achieve something, so keep that in mind too.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or anything and I'll do my best to help out.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Aw no warlocks? I guess i will make due with sorc and then get into warlock.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Hmmm... Actually, there's no wizards either. 2 secs, I might need to make a new list... I am making a new list (the last one excluded wizards and a couple of backgrounds by mistake).Give me 10 mins!

Done. I've deliberately excluded High Elves, but the rest should all be there now.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Question: is human var avaliable?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Sure, why not :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:51 pm

Yey! Dibs on the human warlock!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:55 pm

As long as you can make it work with the group :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Light foot halfling monk criminal or half orc wizard criminal are my top two.

My RL character is a caster, want to avoid too much of the same.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Well, I'm leaning toward the dragonborn, but damn is magic complicated in D&D. >.> ... I think I can handle it. The handbook describes it pretty well, really.

Should I link a pdf of the handbook for anyone who needs it?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Dlover wrote:Well, I'm leaning toward the dragonborn, but damn is magic complicated in D&D. >.> ... I think I can handle it. The handbook describes it pretty well, really.

Should I link a pdf of the handbook for anyone who needs it?
Sorcerer is pretty easy, you just gotta pick what you're gonna roll with. If people want to pdf, it's out there, but I've avoided sharing links to it as there is not a legally obtainable version of it. Not that I think that is necessarily going to bring heat down on the forum or anything, but... :shrug:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Hmm...
Then I'll go with Half-Elf Paladin Acolyte as my first option.
Or
Mountain Dwarf Cleric Folk Hero
As we seem to lack both healing and meat shield cababillities...
I'm fine with both and will base my final choise on you guys
-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks for including me in the vote, but I'm cool to roll with whatever. I haven't played D&D in ages.

Usually, I've played something like a half-elf ranger or fighter/cleric. I was leaning towards half-elf paladin acolyte off your list just because I've never played one but have been encouraged to try. Could also go for druid, though. I could see being a NG wood elf druid. Then again, Human ranger/bard sounds interesting, and I've never done anything like dragonborn sorcerer. So I'm flexible there. I'm willing to wait and see the party take shape and then try to fill in the gap. Or I can just claim the paladin and the rest of you can do what you want and we can go from there. IDK.

I suppose I should go get and read a copy of the 5E players handbook? Or is my limited experience with 3e and 4e good enough to wing it?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Then I'll stay with Mountain Dwarf Cleric Folk Hero.
So we have a stable healer...
I'll look more into the character as the band is formed and I have good time.. Got the books, so should be a lite read in my pauses..
-Best regards LAYF

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:03 pm

I am tempted for the musical insteument my char is prof in to be cow bell, but I am afraid there won't be enough cow bell.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:21 pm

Cow bell should be used to cure disease.

And beholder eyes should be used to make charisma/charm potions.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:24 pm

Okay, so Sorcerers get four cantrips and two level 1 spells to start with. What do we think of the cantrips Dancing Lights, Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, and Mending? As for the spells, I'm considering between Feather Fall, Magic Missile, Thunderwave, and Witch Bolt.

For the character itself, I'm thinking a Brass Dragonborn of the Wild Magic origin who was sent away from the clan because of the chaotic results of his magic, but is still involved in merchant work (Thus the group) to provide something for the clan.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:38 am

@Wears You can think of 5e as a streamlined 3.5e. The prestige classes have kinda been merged into the regular classes as an archetype and a lot of the +/-2 bonuses are converted to advantage/disadvantage which means you have to roll two dice and pick the best/worst result. Feats have been combined with the ability score increase so you choose between one of those every 4th level in a class (and not character level). Base attack and skill ranks are also gone in favour of proficiency. You are either proficient or not in skills, tools, weapons and magic and get a proficiency bonus from your character level. I think that's all you really need to know about the differences to wing it properly.

I think there's a free and legal test pdf with limited class options that at least show what some of the skills and archetypes does
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:18 am

Theis2 wrote:-SNIP-
I think there's a free and legal test pdf with limited class options that at least show what some of the skills and archetypes does
Indeed there is:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

There are also a "starter" set y out can buy either hard copy or for roll20 that allows you to play a basic adventure from lvl 1 to 5 to get the hang of it (if you don't feel like investing in 3+ books...
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:59 am

Dlover wrote:Okay, so Sorcerers get four cantrips and two level 1 spells to start with. What do we think of the cantrips Dancing Lights, Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, and Mending? As for the spells, I'm considering between Feather Fall, Magic Missile, Thunderwave, and Witch Bolt.

For the character itself, I'm thinking a Brass Dragonborn of the Wild Magic origin who was sent away from the clan because of the chaotic results of his magic, but is still involved in merchant work (Thus the group) to provide something for the clan.
Dancing Light helps you in the dark, since dragonborn don't get darkvision, but only lasts a minute and is Concentration based. Any of the spells with a Concentration duration can only be held one at a time. So if you have Dancing Lights up, and cast a second Concentration spell, you lose Dancing Lights. Any time you take damage, you need to make a Constitution Saving Throw, or lose Concentration on that spell as well. Doesn't mean it's a deal breaker, but something to be aware of. The spell Light would also help you get around at night, has longer duration and isn't concentration, but it is cast on an object and just emits light (can't move it around, etc.).

RoF is decent cantrip damage that scales with level, and can slow down enemies rushing you.

Mage Hand and Mending are both useful under the right circumstances.

Feather Fall might be a bit too on the situational side (but good if we need it!). Might depend on how likely we are to all fall from great heights.

MM is a classic, guaranteed hit (barring target having Shield spell).

Thunderwave is a good option if surrounded, gives a chance to knock them back enough for you to get out without taking as many opportunity attacks.

Witch Bolt I'm not personally a fan of. It will often be that you're spending a 1st level spell slot to make a ranged attack roll to deal 1d12 just once. Using that same spell slot to cast MM will do a nearly guaranteed 3d4+3. If you miss with witchbolt (at least as I read it), it's done, and you don't get to deal the ongoing damage. Even if you hit, it's Concentration, which means you can't be keeping up any other Concentration spells, and takes up you action to do the ongoing damage. The range is fairly short, so any enemy that is trying to get away from the person arcing lightning at them is going to be able to do so fairly easily.

The Wild Magic bit is interesting, I'd figure majority of other dragonborn sorcerers would be of the Draconic origin sort, so might be another layer of "hey, this guy's trouble, send him away"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:06 am

I'm going to back out, the pipeline at work suddenly filled with about 15 new projects and I would rather not be forced to make this decision later. My apologies.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:32 am

Sure thing badge, thanks for letting me know :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 am

ok so here is what I got for spells: Minor illusion, eldrich blast, Hellish rebuke, hex, dissonant whispers, tasha's hideous laughter

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e (1 space left) - Set-up phase

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:47 am

Keep in mind you'll have to pare down your 1st level spells to just 2. The patron adds those to the list you can choose from, not adds them directly into the spells you know.

I'd say Eldritch Blast is the must have warlock cantrip, minor illusion is hella handy for someone who gets as creative as you do. Hex is a good 1st level spell that lets you do additional damage with each EB. Rebuke is good, but may not come up much if you're hanging back and blasting vs taking more attacks up front. The two Great Old One spells are interesting and can be put to good use, but be aware that Laughter is also a Concentration spell, so you won't be able to run both that and Hex at the same time.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: D&D 5e (1 space left) - Set-up phase

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:00 am

Haven't had concentration to go rule diving yet, but collecting resources:

Basic rules (official site): http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Roll d20 5e compendium: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/BookIndex

5e SRDs:
https://www.5thsrd.org/
http://www.5esrd.com/

Fan Wiki: http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/D% ... ition_Wiki

So that's a good amount of material readily available online. I'll come back to it hopefully in the next couple of days. Too tired now. But let's just assume I'm going with the half-elf paladin acolyte. What gods are we using?

Background: Son of a human ranger and a wood elf cleric. Brought up to revere the (good) gods, be kind and charitable, look out for others, and slay monsters.

► Show Spoiler