Fantasy Comic game - STEP 3 turn 1 of recruitment

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Fantasy Comic game - STEP 3 turn 1 of recruitment

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:13 am

Okay, the text below is an edited copy of what I posted in random some time ago.

In the future I am going to set up a game, meant to help me practice my drawing skills and have a bit of fun. Would anyone be interested in that?

It will be a story as much as a game, and it would be made into a comic as we play. This comic would be viewable on the forum as the things progress, and at the end compiled into one and then posted here on the forum as a whole without all the "action posts" in-between each page.

My goal is to be confident enough in my drawing skills that I can draw a specific story that I've been working on for some time. A story that I wish to draw from start till finish before I publish it. So basically this game will be practice and building up a rutine.

Here is how I would play it:
2-5 players.
Each "round" would consist of 1-6 "actions", amount declared before each round from me.
Each action would give the players (at least*) 24 hours to respond. I'll respond during this time as often as I can with written responses.
► Show Spoiler

Then at the last action, players still has At Least 24 hours to respond, then when I have time I'll say an update is incoming. At this point, all actions are locked and I'll try and to make the rounds actions into a single or two comic pages in a style like the one above.

Then a new round begins.

It would run on a classic role-playing system, either dnd 5e or nwod for simplicity. But the rules would not be used as anything else than guidelines as to what you can and cannot do, for this reason, players must play well together and be able to both stand up when needed and take the back seat when it's others time to shine. They mus also be able to accept that their characters suffers injury and setbacks, flawless characters make for dull stories.
Setting would be a medieval fantasy, low magic setting. (think original Conan the barbarian set in 800 England)
Players would come from the working class but haven taken up arms to fight a common thread to the people.
For this reason classes would be restricted to warrior types vs magic types... Paladins would be the high limit to magic or very down played mage classes (no flashy magic.. Subtile is key) maybe a druide... Not sure, would really depend on the player and how compelling the character they write is.

Players would be locked to the same location mostly, only be able to "split up" on special occasions... During these occasions the players not present would be inactive, or at least not able to take action, bit of course, they can still guide their friends. The. We would take a later round to figure out what their characters were doing, or if they should just make a gandalf and appear out of the blue...

So sample play. This is just one suggestion, final solution may loon different.
► Show Spoiler
It is the same style as the one I use in "Our Town" but more evolved/better action poses and some background...

The whole point is for me to practice drawing action and bigger scenes. As well as practicing story telling. So feedback will be valued highly :)

What do you guys say, would that be interesting?

The game would not fully start (at least not with pages) before I have the players and we have played some pre game to get the hang of the characters type and the players style, I'll also use this to figure out how to draw the characters.
The pre game would also be the "story hook" so that when the real game starts, we can make a "thrown into action" start scene :)

As promised, style sheets: (Spoiler for mobile users)

Drawing process sheet:
► Show Spoiler
Character type sheet:
► Show Spoiler
Misc sheet:
► Show Spoiler
Action scene sample sheet:
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Fantasy Comic game - interest, Q/A and recruitment

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 am

colour me highly interested. :thumbsup:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:50 am

I'm in, but will read later as I'm in class
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:04 am

As always, I am here to support you in your career as an artist.

And I hope one day, if possible, the pixel story of yours might continue. No russians... ;)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 am

I'm interested!
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 am

This sounds like a ton of fun, but I don't know that I could commit to posting every day for an extended period of time since I have a bunch of field work and meetings coming up. If that's ok, I'm totes in; if it wouldn't work, then I'll just watch how these guys play things out :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:35 am

You can watch us boff it all up.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am

I'm glad to see there is interest :)

@Thinks. Well, the timing is not set in stone at all, that is a thing I'll work out with the players. It just have to be something giving a kind of reliable phase...

So it is okay. And I'll consider you in the "selection pool" :)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:42 am

ok, sweet :) thanks!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:59 am

No problem, one note. The time frame will be at least 24 hours, as I need all to be able to answer, at leat with even opportunity regardless of timezones.
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 am

Thats' cool. Literally the only time I think I might not have internet access in that timeframe is when I'm at sea at the end of April / start of May for 2 weeks (there's access on the boat, but it is apparently flaky). Other than that, I should be able to get online most days.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:29 pm

I'll certainly be following, but don't think I can commit to playing.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Hmmm....
Since I have to be on the computer most of the time anyway, I probably could do it. I would have to cap it at the 3 games, but if we're talking about one round per 24 hrs, I can probably sneak that in over lunch or right after work.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:25 am

I'm really glad to see that this has interest around the board :)

I'n not locking signups just yet, as I want more to have a chance.
But i will start the next step, the selection phase.

As I mentioned in the OP, I need the players to be able to play well together and be able to both take spot light and step back.
For this reason I'll run a small selection/screening process, that will allow me to see how you play together and how your "style of play/writing" will fit with each others and my own style/sense of story.

The process will be 4-5 steps, depending on how much info I feel I need.
Now, this is not anything you can be "good" or "bad" at... I mainly want to see if/how it may work and fit together. it may just end in random rolls. lets see.

So.. the 4-5 steps (The 4th may be excluded)
Step 1-4 is a sort of "game rounds" each a bit more complicated than the first, with the 4th looking a lot like i imagine the game will run, with exception to the time frames of course :)

Step 1: Personalty and a situation.
-all who wish to join the game must choose one advantage and one disadvantage from the list in the box below (This is NOT for your real character, this is just for the signups)
► Show Spoiler
-And must then write a reaction to a situation i describe. everyone will experience the same situation in this step.
-The reaction can be a elaborate or simple as you want, and it may include what happens outside of your characters "control" sample in box below:
► Show Spoiler
-The reaction must of course fit with the "advantage/disadvantage)
-The advantage and disadvantage will define your character in the following steps.
-Anything in the list can be taken as either an advantage or a disadvantage, so if "Strong" is a disadvantage and "Shy" an advantage, You may be a scary big character that people tend to stay away from, but your shyness may win over other people, who find you to be a warm and careful giant.

Step 2: Cooperative actions, simple.
-I describe a new situation, but using each players former reaction to fir in here.
-Paired two and two (randomly), you must then react to each other.
-And then again, react to that, BUT you may change the former outcome. Sample, using the Step one Reactions in the box:
► Show Spoiler
Step 3 and 4 is a lot like Step 2, but with 3 and 4 players, each getting 2 actions in different randomly selected groups.
-I describe a new situation, but using each players "last" situation/action" as a way to initiate it.
-Paired 3 or 4 (randomly), you must then react to each other, this time in a random "initiative order"
-And then again, react to that, BUT you may change the former outcome.

Step 5: I'll look it all over and pain myself with how to figure out who to mix to make the best story I think possible.

Now... I know this may seem a bit complicated. But I'll try and do it as simple as possible. so for this reason, Reactions should be held back until I say to make them.
This process may take some time, especially since i don't want people to miss out just because they cannot post at the time of "their turn"
but that just gives more time for a perfect setup :)

So... With that said... everyone who would like to join, please pick an advantage and disadvantage:
► Show Spoiler
And after that, you may react to the following station for Step 1. I'll allow a good amount of time before i go on to step 2.:
You find yourself at the center of a marketplace, Empty for people, but a lot of wares, both food and trinkets. All of it just laying around.
You know for a fact that no is around, and you are quiet hungry....
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am

Advantage: Competitive
Disadvantage: Absentminded

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 am

I'd also like a reaction to the situation :)
You find yourself at the center of a marketplace, Empty for people, but a lot of wares, both food and trinkets. All of it just laying around.
You know for a fact that no is around, and you are quiet hungry....
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:40 am

When he arrived in the marketplace, he looked around in surprise at the lack of people there. He had been so lost in thought that he somehow missed the typical sounds that such a marketplace would have. His stomach rumbled in response to his thoughts being interrupted, it had been trying to get his attention all morning. Seeing no one around as well as seeing so much food, he approached a cart full of bread and reached out and took a fine looking loaf. His other hand reached into his pocket to extract a few coins to leave to pay for his breakfast but before he could extract his hand a flock of birds dive-bombed him, whilst screeching war cries. Clutching his bread in one hand and protecting his face with the other he ran from the marketplace seeking cover from the nearby buildings. After waiting a few minutes, he exited and went along his way, completing forgetting about the fact that he had never paid for his bread.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:14 am

Character Joe:
(I'm not sure any on the list are really strengths or weaknesses.)
Strength: Charming
Weakness: Skeptical

Joe walked into the market place a slight grin on his face and slowed as he noted the fact that the market was...well empty. "Hello..." He called out as he stood there looking around..."Er...if this is supposed to be a surprise birthday party...that's not till next Month..." He shouts out. Then he looks around a bit more...reviewing the scene and the buildings bounding the market place. Walking up and staring into windows and knocking on doors calling, "Hello, is anyone there?..I need someone to sign for this thousand gold coins...".

Finally Joe strode over and found himself a stick, carefully knocking a loaf of bread, some cured meat and some cheese away from their stands. Picking up the goods up, he stands out in the center of the marketplace there and begins to talk loudly. "Alright folks we are auctioning off these bits of food...we have a loaf of bread, meat and cheese...how much folks?..do I hear one silver piece?..no, how about eight copper pieces?..no, still not enough of a discount?...Come on people they just fell on the ground for a moment, I mean yea I knocked them off, but hell service around here is slow...like glacial slow..No, still not enough of a discount folks?..Do I hear four copper pieces?..No, people I am trying to earn these barely working, invisible merchants honest coin....Are you going to force me to bankrupt them?...Fine how about one copper piece?...Ah, yes to the man standing with the bread and meat in the street...Going once, going twice, sold to the man right there...please pay before you start eating sir..." Joe then holds out the bread for a moment before saying and saying "thank you" to himself. He then holds out a copper coin and hands it over to himself before tossing it at the meat and cheese stall.

Joe puts his 'purchases' in his bag before strolling out of the market place looking over his shoulder. He then began to hunt down a dog or cat. Finally finding a dog tied up in a yard barking his head off at Joe. Joe stood on the fence breaks off a bit of each and tosses it to the dog, waiting to see if the poor creature succumbs to poison.

But the dog keeps on barking, though now his tail is waging and Joe just shakes his head. "Sorry boy, I know you want a permanent position as my food tester but I afraid the position was only temporary." Off he goes down the road, eating as he walks.
Last edited by Quarg on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:42 pm

High spirited and guileless. (Which is the advantage and which is the disadvantage will depend on context...)

Now let's look at the situation.

"No one around? How odd! I wonder why. Maybe they're off celebrating something. And here they left everything out. So many pretty things to see!" Jake darts around, examining all the various wares. Playing with some, but always putting them neatly back when he's done. His excitement and cheer help stave off the hunger. At least for a while. But time passes and no one arrives. Hunger grows. "Well, it would be a shame to let those beautiful pies go to waste. I'll have one. Maybe two. I'll come back later. I'm sure we'll be able to work something out for payment. Surely they wouldn't begrudge me a pie or two when I'm so hungry and they're not here to ask." He settles down near the pie stand, eats a couple of pies. "Delicious indeed! I'll have to give my compliments to the chef when I find everyone. Speaking of which, I should probably go looking. They can't be far..."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Advantage: Buisinesslike

Disadvantage: Folksy (and not the least bit curious).

Thomas drives his wagonfull of wood up to the edge of the square as per his norm. He's casually holding the reins of his two mules. They know the route as well as he does and don't really need much guidance anymore. Thomas is busy thinking of what he needs to get at market and wondering what kind of price he can get for his load of wood. The mules stop at the edge of the market without his direction and stand shivering, ears twitching this way and that. Thomas looks up finally and frowns at the lack of noise and activity.
"Sumpin' ain't right here." he drawls. He leans over and spits out his chewing tobaco and looks around. Not seeing anyone he clambers down from the wagon, pats the mules to help calm them, then saunters into the middle of the market.
He frowns to see the wares out in the open like this with no one in attendance. "Where in tarnation is everyone?" He walks around the square calling out to see if anyone answers. Getting no response, he scowls and stomps back to his wagon and gets out his coin purse. He goes around to the various vendors stalls, leaving the correct payment for the supplies he collects and buying a meat pie to sate his apetite, the whole time grumbling under his breath. He was really counting on selling his wood today. "Dagnabit! Now I'll have to make another trip! Everyone sure picked a fine time to go on a jog!"
His supplies collected, he turns his wagon around and heads back to home.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Traits: Impressionable (=naive/gullible), Ambitious.

Jo sprints up the road and into the market square.

"Boss! Boss! I couldn't find - oh!"

He stops short and stares at the strange scene in front of him.

"Oh crap... boss!? Ted?! ... Shit!"

Jo puts his hands on his head and jogs around the deserted marketplace, cursing loudly as he goes.

"Shit, I thought you were joking..."

He turns and runs back the way he came, shouting over his shoulder as he goes:

"I'll find it I swear! I'll be back as soon as I can!"

After a few moments, there's a snort of laughter from under one of the stalls followed by another and another as folk begin to emerge from their hiding spots.

One lad sneaks over to the gate to keep watch, with a massive grin on his face.

"Oh honestly Teddy, how long are you going to have us keep this up? The poor lad's gullible as a baby!"

Ted hauls himself onto his old feet, wiping tears of laughter from his eyes,

"As long as he keeps believing it, Mae! He's giving me the best laugh I've had in years!"

"But he's not catching on, poor thing! You've made him wait hours at the stores looking for a "long weight", waste half a day looking for chequered paint, and now he's believing the whole towns vanished cos he made you spill "invisible ink" in the well! You've got to tell him!"

Ted is, by all accounts, completely beside himself with laughter as Mae admonishes him.

"Hoooo... Oh, stop! Stop! I can't breathe!"

Gathering himself together he chuckles at the woman, and grins back. "OK, ok! I'll tell him when he gets back. But you know, I think the water in my kettle might be needing some more bubbles!" He bursts out laughing again as Mae punches him in the arm.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:15 am

Not much is know about the ramblefrunk, a most curious creature. It isn't strong, but it is very, very cute. It looks like a fluffy, fuzzy tuft of cloud, not much bigger than a human hand. It has bat like wings in the place where most beings have their ears and four tiny pink naked paws, like those of a mouse, maybe, each at the end of what looks like elephant's trunks for limbs. These trunk limbs are retractable into the body, until only the pink feet protrude. As a creature of the sky, its downside is of a light, pastel-y blue, whereas the rest of its body is an undefined greenish-brown. If it sits somewhere completely motionless, it is easy to mistake it for a dirty shrub or a small pile of decomposing bio-garbage.

The ramblefrunk of this story didn't trust the peace and quiet. Usually human cities were bustling with activity. And humans tended to get very loud and very angry if you took something that they deemed theirs. After a few scouting rounds above the market, scanning the perimeters with its eyes, the ramblefunk felt safe enough to swoop down and grab a whole apple by extending its trunk limbs and holding onto the fruit with all its might. Instead of the majestic ascend it had intended, it struggled to gain more altitude with the heavy load, but eventually made it as far as the edge of a nearby roof. It set down its prize very carefully and settled down next to it. Ear-wings perked, straining for any noise, watchful for any changes, it started to nibble at its glorious, delicious loot, juice dribbling down the corners of its mouth.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:19 am

That is absolutely okay, the only real "limitation" in the selection process is that the character must have one advantage and one disadvantage. And that it is the same character for all steps.
I think that is the best way to see how you guys write.
That is also the reason I have not (and will not) comment on the content of the replies. I want it to be as much "your words" as it can be :)
-Best regards LAYF

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:09 am

cool, thanks for clearing that up. :)
► Show Spoiler

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 am

askstoomuch wrote:I'm in, but will read later as I'm in class

EDIT dropping out as I enjoy ur entries to much and don't want to take away anybody's change to play
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink