Doors and Shadows 5e game OOC (Open for one more.)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Doors and Shadows 5e game recruitment

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:14 pm

((yup, that's an alternative, but seems more plant/land based than I'd like for a walking maelstrom :D

I've got plenty else to rely on in terms of spells and stuff though, so I don't mind if it's a no. Everyone getting a free feat might be an (overpowered?) option though o:)

I know, I'm pushing my luck. Please don't murder my guy!))

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:31 pm

I'd actually been considering getting everyone a free feat at the beginning, so I'm considering it. :lol:

You've already got some excellent stats though, thinks. So I'm not sure you should be worried too much about whether you can have shillelagh or not. ;) You're a pretty solid spellcaster as is.

EDIT: You know what? Leaning more towards starting at level 1 if I do this, but go ahead. Everyone starts with a free bonus feat. I've been wanting to experiment with how it affects balance, so this is as good a time as any. :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 pm

I know, that's why I feel like I'm pushing my luck :lol: Not being able to melee at all would certainly be interesting, so I'm genuinely ok with either way :)

If you're sure though, I'll most likely pick up Magic Initiate (druid) now, and take War Caster at level 4 (sorc) after a couple of levels of tempest cleric.

Most of my other characters are utility based, so making a straight-up combat character is going to be fun :)

Edit: my choices would be-

Cantrips:
Shillelagh
Magic stones

L1:
Entangle

I'll let you decide if that's too cheesy :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 pm

_: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 5, 3, 3] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 6, 2, 1] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 2, 2, 6] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 3, 5, 2] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 4, 3, 3] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 6, 4, 1] = 15

"Trill", a Kenku ((Volo's Guide)), Bard, Sailor

STR: 11
DEX: 16
CON: 12
INT: 12
WIS: 12
CHA: 15

Expert Forgery. You can duplicate other creatures' handwriting and craftwork. You have advantage on all checks made to produce forgeries or duplicates of existing objects.

Mimicry. You can mimic sounds you have heard, including voices. A creature that hears the sounds you make can tell they are imitations with a successful Wisdom (Insight) check opposed by your Charisma (Deception) check.

Languages. You can read and write Common and Auran, but you can speak only by using your Mimicry trait.

Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Perception, Performance, Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Tool Proficiencies: Navigator's Tools, vehicles (water), Lute, Lyre, Drums
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Saving Throws: DEX, CHA

Equipment: Light Crossbow and bolts, entertainer's pack, a lyre, leather armor, dagger, club, 50ft silk rope, common clothes, 10 gp, an old key on a bit of string that she wears around her neck as a lucky charm.

Personality Traits: I never pass up a friendly wager. My language is as foul as an otyugh nest.

Ideal: The sea is freedom - the freedom to go anywhere and do anything.

Bond: Ruthless pirates murdered my captain and crewmates, plundered our ship, and left me to die. Vengeance will be mine.

Flaw: I can't help but pocket loose coins and other trinkets I come across.

Cantrips: Minor Illusion and Vicious Mockery
1st Level: Bane, Healing Word, Sleep, Thunderwave

Free Feat: Lucky
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 pm

thinkslogically wrote:I know, that's why I feel like I'm pushing my luck :lol: Not being able to melee at all would certainly be interesting, so I'm genuinely ok with either way :)

If you're sure though, I'll most likely pick up Magic Initiate (druid) now, and take War Caster at level 4 (sorc) after a couple of levels of tempest cleric.

Most of my other characters are utility based, so making a straight-up combat character is going to be fun :)

Edit: my choices would be-

Cantrips:
Shillelagh
Magic stones

L1:
Entangle

I'll let you decide if that's too cheesy :)
It's a LITTLE Cheesy. I'd prefer it if you did come up with some more story related or flavour inspired spells for your feat, especially considering you're already pretty powerful.

Coming up with a good spin for it works too though, just convince me with persuasion instead of pleading. :)

Anyways, looking really good guys. I'd like to get just one more person, so I might wait a day or two to get started.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:56 pm

After some thinking, I decided to go with peacock aarakocra to be a much more flashy fighter, and the fast fly speed helps.

This is what I got so far.
► Show Spoiler
Aarakocra:
Str: 15
Dex: 16
Con: 13
Int: 7
Wis: 16
Cha: 12

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:35 am

Looks good guys, I'll start putting some charactersheets for you together this weekend.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:39 am

It's a LITTLE Cheesy. I'd prefer it if you did come up with some more story related or flavour inspired spells for your feat, especially considering you're already pretty powerful.

Coming up with a good spin for it works too though, just convince me with persuasion instead of pleading. :)
Well, the idea is largely that he's been created out of this storm (somehow), so the magic that infuses this guy and springs out of him is inherently chaotic and destructive. As useful as it may be, his magic has little utility and no restorative aspects. This may well change as he develops as a character through the game, but his nature is almost entirely magical, and certainly not gentle. So he's going to be pretty damn good in combat, but since he knows nothing about the local cultures, poisonous plants, personal property, systems of money etc. etc. he is going to be really reliant on the rest of the party (or some kindly NPCs) to keep him alive otherwise.

Saying that, I missed that "Gust" was on the druid cantrips list, so I've taken that instead of Magic Stone because it definitely makes more sense. Entangle was the best-themed spell on the L1 druid list that I could see that would be in line with the concept (themed perhaps as slimy seaweeds/kelp) for the storm / ocean motif, but I've got no particularly strong feelings about it. Create / Destroy Water is the only other one that would work, but it's already on the cleric list and will be a race trait at L3 anyway.

Anyway, see what you think. I've updated my original post with the rest of the character information, just let me know if there's anything I've missed.

Couple of questions:
Out of combat, could I use create water (without a container) and then use shape water before the created water hit the ground as rain? Or would I need to create the water into a container first and then shape it to make that work?

Also, how do you interpret the use of Magic Initiate L1 spell? Is it a "free" once-per-long-rest spell, or does it require a spell slot. My interpretation is the former since the feat could be taken by non-casting classes, but you're the DM :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:16 am

That's how I read Initiate too.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:25 am

((Burns, I am loving the idea of a stealth peacock by the way :lol:))

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Okay...well considering I'm not playing any games at the moment, beyond getting scragged by my ancestors, this sounds interesting if you need any more characters...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:04 pm

((I'll go out on a limb and suggest that you may well be the 4th player Draco's been waiting for Quarg :) ))

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Well do I read things right and so far there is a monk, a bard, and a cleric?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm going to multiclass at l3 into sorcerer to basically just be a walking tempest with a focus primarily on (aggressive) casting, but yeah I think that's right :) Not sure how the others are planning on progressing later right enough.

The races are also all unusual, with a water genasi (me), a kenku (spider) and a peacock aaracockra (burns).

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:54 pm

I am thinking of just porting poor Thedor over or seeing if I can...maybe with one or two changes...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Haha! Controversial! I'm still living in hope that we'll get to pick that campaign back up again one day :) Elara the Bard is going to wait a little longer I think!

Was thedor a paladin? I forget now...

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:09 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Haha! Controversial! I'm still living in hope that we'll get to pick that campaign back up again one day :) Elara the Bard is going to wait a little longer I think!

Was thedor a paladin? I forget now...
Yup, and I'm not sure why it would be Conterversial...he was a 1st level character when created...yeah, the background sort of works considering how open this world is...the most problematic is the rather good rolls I got when creating him in the first place.

Unless of course I'm missing some ediquite thing of the DnD world I never got taught in the first place...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Oh no, I mean "controversial" in the sense that it sounds like you're giving up on layf's game coming back, that's all!

I have no issue with thedor at all :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:28 pm

I plan on dipping into rouge a bit, possibly. As thinks pointed put, a stealthy peacock is amusing.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:58 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Oh no, I mean "controversial" in the sense that it sounds like you're giving up on layf's game coming back, that's all!

I have no issue with thedor at all :)
I'm not giving up...I'd be creating the alternative reality Thedor...like the version of Worf who married Deanna versus Dax...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:07 pm

:lol: awesome :D

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Well, here is the idea:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:23 am

Welcome, Quarg. Looks good. :) Pleasure to have you with us.

Remember, I told these guys they could all have a free feat. I wont make you take it, if you don't want it.

Aaaand, I rolled up a set of numbers that you could use if you wanted. Not going to lie, it's the best set of numbers I've rolled for this game.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:35 am

*Laughs*

Yeah, I will be taking the free feat and those damn numbers.

Are you setting a maximum total score for Attributes 1st level? (This might be a rule in 5e, I really don't spend much time playing DnD anymore...)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:20 am

Max for a stat in 5e is 20, except a lv 20 barbarian.