The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:13 am

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:21 am

Dusk9 wrote:
M0rtimer wrote: Would Uragh have any inside connections too, or is that a mechanical thing?
It's part of their Criminal/Bounty Hunter backgrounds. Uragh has the Bad Reputation one instead. We can say he has some minor connections to a couple of gangs, since he no doubt spent the last couple of years living around the south Harbour/Slums. But only to explain why he got an invite for this job.

If you want you can swap out Bad Reputation for Passage (the sailor background). But to be honest, I don't really see travel between cities coming up at all this game. Unless you come up with a creative use for it, I suppose? :shrug:
Oh no, if it's their background it's perfectly ok- That's what I was trying to ask with the whole "mechanical" thing, I wasn't sure if you were saying they had connections because they were already from the city or got called into the city, or if it was something akin to an actual feat- Since it's the latter, it wouldn't be fair if it was anything else, really.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:40 am

Dusk9 wrote:
So being a Hexblade, I guess this spirit is bound to your Pact weapon? Or communicates with you through it somehow.
I'm willing to leave that up to you. I don't have a physical weapon other than a dagger, I summon what I want or need for that purpose.

"You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage. Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die."

Whether my weapon is an aspect of my patron manifesting, or creating it gives them a conduit to me, I'm down for however you think is most interesting to spin that, or how it looks when I create my pact weapon. I can also do bows and crossbows.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 am

Oh, also, what would the questions for rogue be, exactly? I think I wouldn't mind filling those in.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:44 am

Yeah, I was picturing it as your connection to the spirit manifesting as the Pact Weapon (whatever form it takes), and you communicating with them through it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Rogue: Guilty Pleasure, Adversary, Benefactor
I won't have the book in front of me until this evening, but they are all basically d6 tables (so you could roll if you want, or I can transcribe the whole thing), relating to the above... IIRC, guilty pleasures has a bunch of things that may have gotten you into trouble in the past, inform your reasons for turning to roguery, things that are likely to catch your eye in game, etc. An adversary could be any number of things, but essentially establishes an NPC or group that you have an antagonistic relationship with. Benefactor I think would be some past or current person in a higher position that likes you being around.

@dusk; Sure, I'll otherwise leave my patron in your hands, but am willing to listen if you want to bounce ideas off me first.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:56 am

M0rtimer wrote:Oh, also, what would the questions for rogue be, exactly? I think I wouldn't mind filling those in.
What's the form of temptation that your rogue character can't resist when the opportunity presents itself, even if giving into it might mean trouble for you and your companions?
1- Large Gems
2- A smile from a pretty face
3- A new ring for your finger
4- The chance to deflate someone's ego
5- The finest food and drink
6- Adding to your collection of exotic coins

Does your rogue have an adversary who also happens to be a criminal? If so, how is this relationship affecting your life?
1- The pirate captain on whose ship you once served, what you call moving on, the captain calls mutiny
2- A master spy to whom you unwittingly fed bad information, which led to the assassination of the wrong target
3- The master of the local theives' guild who wants you to join the organization or leave town
4- An art collector who uses illegal means to acquire masterpieces
5- A fence who uses you as a messenger to set up illicit meetings
6- The proprietor of an illegal pit fighting arena where you once took bets.

Who helped you in the past, whether or not you knew it at the time, and what do you owe that person as recompense?
1- A smuggler kept you from getting caught, but lost a valuable shipment in doing so. Now you owe that person an equally valuable favor.
2- The Beggar King has hidden you from your pursuers many times, in return for future considerations.
3- A magistrate once kept you out of jail in return for information on a powerful crime lord.
4- Your parents used their savings to bail you out of trouble in your younger days and are now destitute.
5 - A dragon didn't eat you when it had a chance, and in return, you promised to set aside choice pieces of treasure for it.
6- A druid once helped you out in a tight spot, now any random creature you see could be that benefactor, perhaps come to claim a return favor.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Alright, let's see...

A: 5, or at least a variant of 5. While he'd no doubt like to add to his purse and collect trinkets and baublets, he's also the kind of guy who's most likely to get rid of everything the fastest- Spending it on food, booze, and probably some gambling will be involved too.

B: 1 would have been perfect, assuming I hadn't already said the captain was dead... So I think to fit in with a "minor" gambling problem, 6 could be a good choice. He'd probably have been a bit less... "Friendly" after a particular streak of losses.

C: I'm not sure if any would realistically fit in the scope of the game, but I think that 2 would be the most "correct" one. He wouldn't spill the beans on someone unless he had barely no choice. Not because of loyalty, of course- It's just that snitches get stitches.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:44 pm

M0rtimer wrote:
B: 1 would have been perfect, assuming I hadn't already said the captain was dead... .
Could be that the captain died as a result or shortly after, and former first mate blames you?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler