The Heist - 5e D&D Game

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:20 pm

I'm considering a dual-wielding Ranger, being either an Aarakocra, a Kobold, or maayyyyybe a Halfling (probably not). No multiclassing since they get an extra attack at level 5.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Yay! The Luckstone is free :D Well, I'd like that if no-one minds?

As for Jax's false identity, I'm not sure yet. I don't want anything too grand that would be easily falsifiable, but yes, something appropriately upper-class would probably be the most useful way to shmooze into high society. I think I'll swap his coloured inks for a false signet ring though (and maybe use the 300GP for inks and such instead). I'll have a look at what's available and let you know.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:50 pm

SuperVaderMan wrote:I'm considering a dual-wielding Ranger, being either an Aarakocra, a Kobold, or maayyyyybe a Halfling (probably not). No multiclassing since they get an extra attack at level 5.
All those are fine with me, though keep in mind that the Aarakocra will be super noticeable in a crowd, what with all the feathers and the wings. The Kobold would have an easier time hiding his nature, but might raise more alarm if people realised what he was, especially in the richer areas. Just something for you to keep in mind ;)
thinkslogically wrote: As for Jax's false identity, I'm not sure yet. I don't want anything too grand that would be easily falsifiable, but yes, something appropriately upper-class would probably be the most useful way to shmooze into high society. I think I'll swap his coloured inks for a false signet ring though (and maybe use the 300GP for inks and such instead). I'll have a look at what's available and let you know.
A fake connection to some noble family from another city would be super easy to make up, sure. Is Jax a native to Farawlen, or from out of town?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Human bounty hunter, hexblade, with Slippers of Spider Climbing. A quasi tank/caster build.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:56 pm

What would be easiest to make up a cover story for do you think? Like, are the nobles of the city ok with outsiders or are they kind of insular?

I think playing the slightly-exotic-but-not-enough-to-threatening stranger is what he's going for :lol:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:17 am

I'm going for a drunken master monk, likely wood elf. Not sure if I should go for the wood elf feat (Likely pick guidance cantrip alongside the obligatory longstrider and pass without trace spells) or I could get +2 dex for +1 ac and damage.

I was also wondering if I should pick the criminal or street urchin background (could also be guild artisans if we want to go that route) I'm leaning mostly towards criminal and the only thing that is really stopping me is that it has deception rather than sleight of hand

Seems all of us should be able to stealth if needed :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:16 am

So given Spider would like to play a hexblade... What books will be allowed? And would anyone have an online reference for the other classes in question so I could browse them and see which one piques my interest? :)

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 am

thinkslogically wrote:What would be easiest to make up a cover story for do you think? Like, are the nobles of the city ok with outsiders or are they kind of insular?

I think playing the slightly-exotic-but-not-enough-to-threatening stranger is what he's going for :lol:
They're pretty open to outsiders - travelling diplomats from other cities aren't that uncommon. He should blend right in!
M0rtimer wrote:So given Spider would like to play a hexblade... What books will be allowed? And would anyone have an online reference for the other classes in question so I could browse them and see which one piques my interest? :)
Like I said, all published books are fine, and UA stuff is 50/50. I've sent you a PM.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 am

Yeah, Xanathar's Guide to Everything is still relatively new (came out this past November). Half the book is dedicated to more archetypes for all the classes, and its got some other neat things like racial feats and more spells.

Speaking of racial feats, the book only has feats for races in the PHB, so I found the expanded list that includes all the non-PHB races. Urd Wings was really tempting, but War Caster is too good for a dual-wielding Ranger :shifty:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Double post for my WIP Kobold Ranger. I blatantly stole thinks' layout because it works :shifty:
Name: Veska
Race: Kobold (+2 DEX, -2 STR)
Class: Lv5 Ranger (Gloom Stalker)

Description
Height: 2'10"
Weight: 33 lbs.
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Background: Criminal
Feature - Criminal Contact: You have a trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to them, even over long distances, via messengers, caravan masters, sailors, etc.

Personality:
Ideal:
Bond: my packmates, who live in and around the sewers
Flaw:

Backstory:

Physical Description: Is a Kobold

STR: 8 ¦ Save: +2 ¦ Athletics +2
DEX: 18 ¦ Save: +7 ¦ Acrobatics / Sleight of Hand +4, Stealth +7
CON: 15 ¦ Save +2 ¦
INT: 9 ¦ Save -1 ¦ Arcana / History / Investigation / Nature / Religion -1
WIS: 11 ¦ Save +0 ¦ Perception / Survival +3; Animal Handling / Insight / Medicine +0
CHA: 8 ¦ Save -1 ¦ Deception +2; Intimidation / Performance / Persuasion -1

HP: 44/44Hp
AC: 16 (12 studded leather + 4 DEX)
Speed: 30ft

Languages: Common, Draconic, Halfling
Armour Proficiencies: Light, Medium, Shields
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Tool Proficiencies: One type of gaming set(?), Thieves' Tools
Carrying Capacity: 120 lbs. (as a Kobold???)

Racial Abilities/Skills:
- Darkvision up to 90 feet (base 60, +30 from Umbral Sight)
- Grovel, Cower, and Beg: As an action, your allies gain advantage on attack rolls against enemies within 10 feet of you that can see you, until the end of your next turn. Once used, you can't use this until after a short/long rest.
-- The fluff on this ability sucks a lot.
- Pack Tactics: You gain ADV on attack rolls if at least one non-incapacitated ally is within 5 feet of the target creature.
- Sunlight Sensitivity: You have DISADV on attack rolls and WIS(Perception) checks that rely on sight whenever you, the target, or whatever you're trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

Ranger Stuff (Gloom Stalker)
Favored Enemy - Humans and Halflings: You have ADV on WIS(Survival) checks to track favored enemies and on INT checks to recall info about them. You learn one language known by your favored enemies.
Natural Explorer - Underdark (underground, etc.): When you make an INT or WIS check, double your proficiency bonus if you're proficient at that skill. When traveling for an hour or more in this terrain, gain a bunch of benefits (look in PHB)
Fighting Style - Two-Weapon Fighting: When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack
Primeval Awareness: You can use an action to expend a Ranger spell slot to determine whether there are aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, or undead within 1 mile of you (6 miles in your favored terrain). This doesn't reveal their location or number.
Dread Ambusher: Gain a bonus to initiative rolls equal to WIS mod. On the first turn of combat you have +10 walking speed and can make an additional attack if you take an Attack action. If this attack hits, it does an extra 1d8 damage.
Umbral Sight: Gain 60 feet of darkvision if you don't have it already, +30 feet of darkvision if you do. While in darkness you are invisible to creatures that rely on darkvision to see you in that darkness.
Extra Attack: You can attack twice whenever you take the Attack action on your turn (bonus action attacks don't count).

Level 4: FEAT - War Caster: You have ADV on concentration checks. You can cast somatic spells even when both hands are holding weapons or shields. When an enemy triggers an opportunity attack, you can target them (and only them) with a spell that takes 1 action to cast.

Equipment:
- Shortsword (2)
- Explorer's pack: backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days rations, waterskin, 50 feet hempen rope
- Shortbow and quiver w/ 20 arrows

- a Crowbar
- a Set of dark clothes + hood
- a Belt pouch with 15 gp

- Studded Leather
- 280gp idk what to spend on
- Gloves of Swimming and Climbing

---------------------------------

Spells

Level 1
Absorb Elements
Hunter's Mark
Disguise Self (free with Gloom Stalker)
Considering 1 of the following
Detect Magic
Fog Cloud
Goodberry

Level 2
Rope Trick (free with Gloom Stalker)
Considering 1 of the following
Find Traps
Locate Object
Pass without Trace
Silence
Healing Spirit

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Fog cloud could be very useful for shenanigans if we need cover.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:05 am

SuperVaderMan wrote: Physical Description: Is a Kobold
:lol:
SuperVaderMan wrote:Languages: Common, Draconic, Halfling, (Whatever I get for having Humans as a Favored Enemy)
You only get one Language from Favoured Enemy (even if you pick two humanoids), so you'll just get Halfling.
SuperVaderMan wrote:Carrying Capacity: 120 lbs. (as a Kobold???)
Yeah, carrying capacity is a bit weird. That said, you're gonna need it to carry all that gold you guys are planning on stealing :P
SuperVaderMan wrote:- Grovel, Cower, and Beg: As an action, your allies gain advantage on attack rolls against enemies within 10 feet of you that can see you, until the end of your next turn. Once used, you can't use this until after a short/long rest.
-- The fluff on this ability sucks a lot.
Yep, it does.
SuperVaderMan wrote:Natural Explorer - Coast or Swamp (not sure): When you make an INT or WIS check, double your proficiency bonus if you're proficient at that skill. When traveling for an hour or more in this terrain, gain a bunch of benefits (look in PHB)
If you pick Coast, I'd be willing to let those bonuses apply while you're in the Harbour district. Or if you want, Underdark could apply while underground (sewers, tunnels, etc). Mainly because I think the Natural Explorer bonuses are underpowered/situational as it is, and you'd probably not get any use out of them at all in this adventure otherwise.
SuperVaderMan wrote:- 255gp idk what to spend on
Any gold you guys don't spend you can keep and use later. Don't forgot, Farawlen is a merchant city. And bribes are a thing too. Chances are you'll figure out something to do with your cash :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:20 am

Dusk9 wrote:
SuperVaderMan wrote:- 255gp idk what to spend on
Any gold you guys don't spend you can keep and use later. Don't forgot, Farawlen is a merchant city. And bribes are a thing too. Chances are you'll figure out something to do with your cash :P
Expanding on this, if you don't want certain class/background starting items, you can "sell" them for half-price. For example, if you want to swap your Leather Armour (sell for 5gp) for Studded Leather (buy for 45gp). Just so you don't feel you have to immediately run to a shop and sell all your crap once we start :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Ok, could I please buy:

A disguise kit (25 gp)
A forgery kit (15 gp) ((the charlatan BG says I can just forge documents, so I'm not sure I need to roll or whatever, but if so, would I have proficiency?))
Thieves tools (25 gp) - a little crass for Jax's tastes, but needs must...

If we get trinkets:
Trinket: An empty silver snuffbox with the word "dreams" inscribed on top (#86 in the phb list).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:30 pm

I should probably get around to writing up my own character... :paranoia:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Proooooobably :D then shenanigans can happen!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:00 pm

thinkslogically wrote: A forgery kit (15 gp) ((the charlatan BG says I can just forge documents, so I'm not sure I need to roll or whatever, but if so, would I have proficiency?))
You get proficiency in forgery as part of your background.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks! I'd missed that. Still not sure if it needs a roll or not, since the feature just says I can do it but proficiency is definitely good :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Up to Dusk if any of the XGtE stuff is part of how tool proficiencies work, but that suggests that a 1 page fake can be done as part of a short rest, and a 4 page fake as part of a long rest. Your roll determines the DC to spot the fake.

My compiled list of Tool Proficiencies from XGtE.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:28 pm

So what skill do you roll do make a forgery tho? Adding prof to a straight d20 only gives +3, which is pretty rough considering you need a 20 to forge a wax seal...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Just above that is the "Quick Fake"

Quick Fake. As part of a short rest, you can produce a forged document no more than one page in length. As part of a long rest, you can produce a document that is up to four pages long. Your Intelligence check using a forgery kit determines the DC for someone else's Intelligence (Investigation) check to spot the fake.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Oh aye, it's right there... My brain is fried today!

Still, that's kind of annoying it forces INT. I mean, it makes sense, but it forces you to have a lot of points in a lot of attributes if you want to be effective and not a wizard / arcane trickster.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:25 pm

I'm going to say forgery is an INT check most of the time, but you can use DEX instead for delicate work (i.e. copying someone else's handwriting).

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll have access to NPCs with forgery capabilities, so you should be able to get someone else to do it....for a bit of coin, of course :roll:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:27 pm

That is true :lol: it's probably for the best tho - he's going to be useless in combat haha!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:28 am

Ok, so so far we have:

-bard 4/rogue 1
-ranger 5
-hexblade warlock?

With this kind of layout, I'm thinking I might either go for "muscle", or full rogue... Maybe a bit of a mix of both? Their stats don't mix though, sadly, which I guess is something you ideally wanna do. :P

I think I'm gonna take either rogue 3, ranger 2 at the moment... Question: if someone were to go wizard, how much would you charge in gold for an extra spell they'd want to scribe into their book? I'm guessing it'd probably be too expensive to really get anything "worthwhile"?