Practiced Orator

Re: The keystone Chronicles

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:54 am

So, winged boots?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 am

Rodgeir wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:54 am So, winged boots?
That does seem to be one of the more powerful options, huh? I'll think about it, but I'm a generous God and am leaning towards "why not" for now. :roll:

Also next week might fall through as well, I have something big that takes priority before I can focus on the session. Two weeks from now seems like a good goal though... :p

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

What's your roll20 link?

Honestly I think the boots are over the top, I was just testing. The cloak of protection seems more reasonable.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:38 am

Here you go:

https://app.roll20.net/join/4293047/Rb_gzA

But, yeah, an item like that could break things well before it's intended. :P I should look up that list of "reasonable magic item prices" again...

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Mort, you need to select the character sheet we will be using in the game on roll20 and then add us so we can add our character information.

You can do it by clicking on the third icon from the left in game (looks like a newspaper to me) and then you will see the +Add button and you can add a character along with who can see the character (In Player's Journals) and who can edit and control the player.

Edit: If you want some help getting started you can promote me to Co-GM initially (info here:https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Management ... ng_Players)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm

I... Think I did that? :P

And I think I promoted you to GM for now so you can help/check things out, definitely will need to look into all that myself :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Logged in on my phone and you have added a character sheet for me and I tried to put stuff in but it was just too hard. Couldn't tell if I was a GM or not. I'll look tomorrow.

What would you like help with?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:54 pm

I don't think I need help per say, just gotta figure out what's what. You can add your own sheets just fine, I just have to do the thing to add them "into" the game, then?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:38 am

Exactly, you need to create a character for the PC to modify and it will provide them with a sheet. Once they have an assigned sheet they can update their stats, spell list, background and so on. I dropped in a sheet for everyone that had logged into the game to mess about with.

There are some more control decisions (i.e. who controls which tokens, everything by the GM or do you allow PCs to control their token) that come later as well as using the layers to ease game play for yourself and to hide things from the players. Fog of war is fun but without dynamic lighting I found that manually revealing areas was a hassle.

To the players I would let you know that you can drag items, for instance a long sword, from Roll20's search list in game and drop them into your character sheet during character creation. This saves tons of time manually typing everything in!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:20 am

Yeah I saw, figured some of it out already too I think. Maybe I'll drop 5 dollars on it for the dynamic lighting and such..? Does look neat.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 am

It is more work to setup but it really makes the games funner for the PCs. There is more work with setting up the sight distances for each PC but I think it is worth it...but I also didn't pay for it. My PCs got it for me for my birthday so I could spend more time making their games :P.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Oh, and you can also drop spells into your spell list from the search! Big time saver!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 am

So, again, this friday isn't going to be happening, because I got a job interview and I've been preparing for that mostly in my free time. Please forgive me for this transgression. :P

Still, there shouldn't be anything stopping me from looking into everything I need to know for roll20 over the weekend, and I'd be sure to have stuff prepared by time we actually play. So who would be up still for a session next weekend, or Friday evening (or what passes for evening for me)? When would everyone be available, or am I best off making another doodle?

And has everyone else been faring out well with figuring out roll20 so far and getting their sheets on there, or will they need help/time to figure that out as well?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:39 am

Next Saturday (the 9th) probably works better for me at this point. The following weekend I won't be able to play at all.

Edit: And good luck with your interview!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Yeah, good luck with the interview!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Interview went fine, thanks for the well wishes :)

In each case, I've had a look over the roll20 site, and I think I get all the important bits I need to now! Going to do some prep work, and I see two of you peeps have their sheets ready as well..? That's good!

Now, the only thing that could still spoil this is if we can't actually find time to meet... :P Made another doodle all of you that are interested should fill in!

https://doodle.com/poll/sh9wuhya4hahae24

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:26 pm

Filled in the doodle. Sunday is somewhat aspirational but I can probably make it work.

Yep. Got my core stuff up on Roll20. I went with a Vengeance oath paladin. What is everyone else doing?

Mort, what kind of (non-magic) starting gear do we have? Guessing plate is too much but splint? Standard starting weapons for the class?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:42 pm

If you got the stats, I think splint should be affordable if you got the stats.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:18 pm

You still considering other timezones or sticking to your evenings?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Well, I've basically put down all the options that are still reasonable for me and not dead in the night. Evenings would still run out best for me probably, but I've no issue doing it at another point through the day if it seems that's when more people are available... Just take a look at the doodle and see if any of the timezones overlap?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Alright, I think I got the table prepped for first session! Just a quick question to any of you who have used roll20 before, are there any premium assets or such that are "worth it"? I'm personally thinking of maybe taking one of the modular dungeon premium assets so I can use those to make dungeons.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:39 am

The dynamic light is nice to have at the mid-level paying, if you like effects then the high-level paying is maybe worth it. I haven't bought any assets directly but I did buy a few one-shot modules that I could just drop in pre-built. They can be a real time saver.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 am

Modules would hold things like prebuilt dungeons and monsters and stuff I suppose? Yeah, those could maybe prove useful when one of you guys inevitably goes completely off the rails, and suddenly I have to prepare for a cave adventure :P

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:35 am

Yep, that is exactly what they are. They pretty cheap considering the amount of work people must have put into them but I guess it is a work of love. And if they already made them for their own campaigns why not try and make a buck!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:35 am

I see. Since you're co-gm, you could probably just drag those in as needed..?

...Oh I suppose I should also warn you to be careful for mild spoilers I set up already on the other pages :P