D&D 5e--Lost Mines of Phandelver

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: D&D 5e--Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Do you want us to write our response here or when you start the game thread?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:21 pm

I'm thinking when we start the game thread.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:43 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:59 pm I have added the basic stats for Thinks, Lurks and my characters. Lurks you will need to update the inventory, same for you Thinks. Kryz also needs some more details as well as some information on armor weapons. Aimee should be a go...ish.

I will add Gathers character when I get confirmation on her character stats, no need to do double work!
Thank you!!

In my inventory I have:
Rapier
Leather armour
dagger
diplomat's pouch
lute
belaying pin (club)
50 feet of silk rope
lucky charm
set of common clothes
belt pouch

I have no real idea what a belaying pin is, but I'll look it up.

Edit: its basically a cudgel, but you can use it on a boat to secure ropes. I have no idea why I have one, but I do.

A belaying pin is a solid metal or wooden device used on traditionally rigged sailing vessels to secure lines of running rigging. Largely replaced on most modern vessels by cleats, they are still used, particularly on square rigged ships. A belaying pin is composed of a round handle and cylindrical shaft.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:37 pm

My guess would be because of your background?

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Is there a list of all character backgrounds somewhere to look up for me, please?

Also, TL, this is why you have a belaying pin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHMdr9J ... u.be&t=155 ;)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:24 am

Okay, I will drop in the cleric's stats straight from the sheet, less the background (which is Soldier).

You can find the backgrounds here. Sort by Source and look at PHB. PHB is the Player's Handbook (which is what Sam is allowing).

What is your cleric's name and divine domain Gathers? Lurks is life domain so probably something else?

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 am

FYI It will be sometime this evening most likely before I get a chance to do anything. Walked into a FUBAR situation coming back this AM at work.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 am

GathersIngredients wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:10 pm Is there a list of all character backgrounds somewhere to look up for me, please?
Also, the available domains from the PHB are: Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:17 am

GathersIngredients wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:10 pm Is there a list of all character backgrounds somewhere to look up for me, please?

Also, TL, this is why you have a belaying pin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHMdr9J ... u.be&t=155 ;)
Good to know! I'll keep that in mind :lol:

My BG stuff:

Trait: I enjoy sailing into new ports and making new friends over a flagon of ale.

Ideal: Freedom. The sea is freedom-the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. (Chaotic)

Bond: I'll always remember my first ship.

Flaw: Once I start drinking, it's hard for me to stop.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:29 pm

@Thinks, did you have preference for Kryz's gender, age, height, weight, eye color :D? How does Kryz look (other than drunk and friendly)?

@Gathers, your character is good to go. I just dropped in the soldier background stats for now, it is easy to fix. Your Divine Domain can be added later when you decide (so you get your Domain spells). What is your character's name going to be (and gender, age, height, weight, eye color :D)?

Otherwise I think it is just Quarg that needs to do up a character.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:57 pm

It looks like Quarg hasn't been on in a few days. We'll give him some time to log back on and see what he has come up with.

Also, thank you Rodgeir for taking the initiative on collecting everybody's character information. It's been very helpful

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Let's say, male, blue, green eyes and fairly small and lithe for a typical dragonborn. A scampery sort of kid. Wide-eyed, bushy-tailed (figuratively speaking), naive about the world, but excited to see it and be a proper adventurer.

He will probably die very quickly 😂

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:28 pm

@Gathers, I'll give you a general rundown of each of the Cleric domains so you can gen an idea of what you want. Different domains allow you to use different spells as you level up, and sometimes give you different abilities.

Knowledge Domain: Gives you abilities that let you improve your skills and eventually gives you mind powers and things.
Life Domain: Pretty classic Cleric healer build. What you said you wanted to do in the beginning. Lurks is already using Life Domain, but if that's what you want, I'm not opposed to two healers in the party. (That just means I can really ramp up the difficulty >:-D >:-D :bonk: )
Light Domain: Light domain deal with, well, light. Some light and fire based spells, and some cool light-based effects.
Nature Domain: For when you want a little Druid in your cleric. Gives you some nature based spells and lets you use a druid cantrip.
Tempest Domain: Gives you some cool weather-based spells and things. More combat focused.
Trickery Domain: Spells and abilities to trick people and mess with their minds. Pretty much what you would expect.
War Domain: Seems to mostly focus on defensive spells/abilities with a little offence thrown in. Lets you last longer on the battlefield and do more damage in the long run.

Feel free to look them over and decide. Don't plan too far ahead. I doubt we'll get to above level 5 in this campaign.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:31 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:29 pm @Gathers, your character is good to go. I just dropped in the soldier background stats for now, it is easy to fix. Your Divine Domain can be added later when you decide (so you get your Domain spells). What is your character's name going to be (and gender, age, height, weight, eye color :D)?
Name: Saca Brako
Height & Weight are there some sort of tables for that kind of thing? I dunno what would be suitable for a hill dwarf...
Eyes: green
Hair: light ginger/red-ish blonde (so not a vividly red as a true ginger, but slightly lighter/more yellow)
Background: folk hero (somewhere else preferably)
Domain: trickery

(I have no idea what I'm doing here game/mechanics wise, but I had a really nifty idea who this char might be so I'm going to pick choices that would match that well. ;) )
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:18 am

You're doing it right Gathers! Trickery seems like a fun domain! I will make the changes. Got a pair of red-headed dwarves in the group now.

I also moved some of your stats around (dext and int) because as a Trickery Domain you no longer have access to heavy armor and the -1 dext reduced your AC, which was bad!

You and Sam can work out where you're a folk hero.

@Thinks, I just put in around the bottom the height/weight curve for Kryz and made him 18. He has had a solid 3 years of 'adulthood' under his belt ;)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 pm

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 am I can throw up a Google sheet based on what is used in my, Thinks and Spider's games if you'd like?

Here is a direct copy of what I use in Tests and Trials.

I changed the name of the tabs so people can just update the content and it will automatically update the first page, which is a time saver as it shows all the saves etc.

Lurks and Thinks are familiar with it and I can help put things in, but it is really pretty easy!
FINALLY I found where you are keeping all the information/the char sheets you talked about. And... I really love that we already have loot. XD
► Show Spoiler
But joking aside, thank you kindly for all your effort, much appreciated. Also all the advice (from all sides), also much appreciated. :)
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Ha! I need to purge the loot page.

No worries! Now you only need to pick 3 cantrips and four spells Gathers :P. No rest for the wicked!

((Already got you domain spells on your page))

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:37 pm

So I can do cantrips unlimited and spells only the ones I got prepared, right?
Do I pick the ones to be prepared now, and I can pick again each time I rest (and prepare new spells), or is it a more permanent choice?

Also, what/how high is my spellcasting ability modifier?
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Ok, so cantrips are at-will spells that you learn permanently. Your choices now will stick for the entire game (unless you hate one of your choices and Sam feels like being merciful :) ). You'll add to the cantrip list as you level up, but you won't change out what you've previously picked.

For clerics, you choose a set number (4 for you) of spells from your domain / spell list each day (after a long rest) so it's a lot more flexible.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:53 pm

I'm assuming level 1 spells for now?
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Sorry about not explaining Gathers! It wasn't that long ago I was in your seat and Thinks (and Spider) were explaining it to me!

Yep, only Level 1 spells for now.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Cantrips:
Mending, Guidance, Thaumaturgy

Spells:
Shield of Faith, command, cure wounds, guiding bolt

Questions to spells:
create water - do I have to pick when preparing, or can I pick only when I cast whether to create or destroy?
command - what happens, if the caster picks the word "die"?
as far as I see, the difference between cure wounds and healing word is that one is a touch spell and gives (potentially) more HP back, the other has a range of 60 feet and gives back (potentially) less HP. Anything else I missed?
Can I/Do I have to pick the same spell multiple times (like cure wounds*3) if I want to cast it more than once, or can I cast it as often as I want, after preparing it?
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:06 am

GathersIngredients wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:04 pm Questions to spells:
create water - do I have to pick when preparing, or can I pick only when I cast whether to create or destroy?
command - what happens, if the caster picks the word "die"?
as far as I see, the difference between cure wounds and healing word is that one is a touch spell and gives (potentially) more HP back, the other has a range of 60 feet and gives back (potentially) less HP. Anything else I missed?
Can I/Do I have to pick the same spell multiple times (like cure wounds*3) if I want to cast it more than once, or can I cast it as often as I want, after preparing it?
Create water - You choose spells each morning but deciding whether to create/destroy water is when you cast.
Command - "The spell has no effect if the target is Undead, if it doesn't understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it." - Nothing will happen.
Healing spells - Nope, that's the difference

You only need to pick a spell once and can cast it as many times as you have spell slots for it. You don't need to take spells for each casting. In your case you have 2 level 1 spell slots so you can cast any level 1 spell twice (same spell or different)!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:23 am

The balance between spell slots and the number of sores you can prepare is where 5e gets a bunch of it's mechanical balance from I think. You can have pimped out stats or shitty ones, but that just affects the number of spells you can hold in your head each day and you'll always be able to prepare at least one. The number of spells you can cast is determined by spell slots which varies with your level.

They are replenished after a rest, but I don't remember if it's a long or short one for clerics.