Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

Nerre
Game Master

Re: Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

Post by Nerre » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi

you know so much about d&d and I not. XD

The traits were limited to 3 in the generator, thought it was okay and regular, not path or homebrew. damn. You got any link for a proper D&D-generator according to your ruleset? I really got nothing at hand and are not experienced enough to do it manually. :/
I just don't want to put all to work to create a char step by step with me on your shoulder.
:zzz:

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Nerre wrote:Hi

you know so much about d&d and I not. XD

The traits were limited to 3 in the generator, thought it was okay and regular, not path or homebrew. damn. You got any link for a proper D&D-generator according to your ruleset? I really got nothing at hand and are not experienced enough to do it manually. :/
I just don't want to put all to work to create a char step by step with me on your shoulder.
Frankly I don't mind the extra work, as it gives me something amusing to do with my time. I wouldn't mind having a character generator built to my exact specifications, but I haven't found one so far that I consider good enough, so I'd just as soon walk you through the process.

Do you get how ability point-buy works? If so, then you should be able to do most of the chargen process easily enough. If not, just let me know about where you'd like your stats to end up (something like "Strength highest, then Dexterity and Constitution in no particular order, decent Intelligence, minimally adequate Wisdom, dump Charisma entirely"), and I'll crunch the numbers and give you several possible arrays (so the sequence I just described could produce "18 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 11 INT, 09 WIS, 8 CHA" or "16 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 14 INT, 12 WIS, 8 CHA").
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:33 am

Stat Point Cost
8 0
9 1
10 2
11 3
12 4
13 5
14 6
15 8
16 10
17 13
18 16

That is what I used so far: 9-14 1 buy-point per additional attribute point. 15-16 2 buy-points per additional attribute point. 17-18 3 buy-points per additional attribute point.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:51 am

http://tools.digitalightbulb.com/pbcalc.html

Decent PB calc, lets you put in racial mods too.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:38 am

You've got it right, Nerre, so just plug those numbers into this and you should be fine.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:06 pm

willpell wrote:Backstory looks good, Amara; I already know who your archenemy really is
I'm really beginning to hate my habit of failing to write things like this down.....
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:27 pm

willpell wrote:
willpell wrote:Backstory looks good, Amara; I already know who your archenemy really is
I'm really beginning to hate my habit of failing to write things like this down.....
Looking at when this is from, that would have been for Rian, yes? Matters slightly less than if it were for Cass, unless you are trying to tie storylines together?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:35 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Looking at when this is from
Wait, how do you know? This forum doesn't timestamp the quotes (others that I've used do).
that would have been for Rian, yes?
Indeed; I'm processing through the early archive to find the houserules I've sprinkled randomly throughout and collect them into a new thread, and in the process I get to re-read the backstories for all these former characters, and see cryptic hints of all the fun storylines I had planned for them, which never actually occurred. Tragic.
Matters slightly less than if it were for Cass, unless you are trying to tie storylines together?
More like recycling old storylines to save work, but since I didn't write anything down, I probably can't even do that. All I can do is swipe the proper names from people's backstories to use in fleshing out the setting, given that there's not really a limit to the amount of that kind of lore that I can use. Hopefully nobody minds.
My long-neglected blog.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:Either way, I'm probably sticking with Barbarian.
That sounds like a good match for my Tiefling mage/sorcerer.

Willpell, if you are fine with that, can we try to build a level 6-7 char?

Just to get it right cause of different sources:

Sorcerer: No book, limited amount of spells known, but no preparation, so he can choose which spell he wants to use the daily slots for in a given situation can be decided at the given time. He is based on Wisdome, right?

Mage: Spellbook, unlimited amount of spells known, but preparation requiered, so he has only the prepared spells to use in a given situation. He surely is based on Inteligence, right?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Damn you, D&D rules; why do you hurt me so? shakes fist

(This had nothing to do with any of you guys. I'm just mad at Wotco's writers.)
Nerre wrote:Willpell, if you are fine with that, can we try to build a level 6-7 char?
I thought you and Aegis wanted to stick with lower levels; if that's no longer true, I have no objections. At level 7 you might even be able to cross over with the level 9 party without getting utterly destroyed.
Sorcerer: No book, limited amount of spells known, but no preparation, so he can choose which spell he wants to use the daily slots for in a given situation can be decided at the given time. He is based on Wisdome, right?

Mage: Spellbook, unlimited amount of spells known, but preparation requiered, so he has only the prepared spells to use in a given situation. He surely is based on Inteligence, right?
Sorcerer is based on Charisma, actually, but otherwise you've got this right. The other marginally-noteworthy differences are that a sorcerer gets proficiency with simple weapons, such as a morningstar, while the wizard can only use a very short list of weapons that aren't quite that good, and that the Wizard gets all Knowledges in-class instead of just Arcana, but the Sorcerer gets access to Bluff, which is among the best skills in the game. Also the wizard gets bonus feats, but the sorcerer can choose from a larger list of feats created specifically for that class, and I think there are more magic items that work especially for sorcerers, though I might be wrong on that. (Basically Wotco wanted to make the sorcerer work really well, and tried everything other than giving them a wizard's spell progression, with the result that wizards are still just better across the board, given that nothing matters as much as having more high-level spells sooner.)
My long-neglected blog.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Then sorcerer it is. I think I mixed it up with priest, who is based on Wisdome. I will try to give him a good set of attributes then.
With -2 Char on the race, he cannot have more than 16 to start, right? To get more I need special items?

Aegis wrote "at least 6", but that he "prefers 7". :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:30 pm

willpell wrote:
Wait, how do you know? This forum doesn't timestamp the quotes (others that I've used do).
Searched thread for 'archenemy'. :D

Was wondering if it was Rian, and if archenemy was a d20. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:00 pm

I think I found a Chargen which might fit to your ruleset. I tried to attach a htm file for the char I made, but I am not allowed to add such a file to the forum. Can I mail it to you maybe?

I made a level 7 Tiefling Sorcereress name Goratta.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:33 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
willpell wrote:
Searched thread for 'archenemy'. :D

Was wondering if it was Rian, and if archenemy was a d20. :lol:
ohhh do stop mocking the poor werebear's failure to succeed on control shape. xD

He's worked out much better in my own D&D game as an NPC anyway haha (I could show you how he got re-statted, if you're ever curious. :b )

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Nerre wrote:With -2 Char on the race, he cannot have more than 16 to start, right? To get more I need special items?
This is correct per the written rules on Tieflings, which are questionable in terms of flavor - a "vamp" archetype for the devil-descended ought to work extremely well, instead of poorly. But for the moment I have not come up with a satisfactory alternative, so we'll go with RAW.
The difference between 6 and 7 would be extremely significant to a Wizard, but as a Sorcerer it matters little. I'll be glad you won't be starting at 8, though. It spares me from having to deal with 4th-level spells for a little while, and they're the ones that famously break the game in half.
Nerre wrote:I think I found a Chargen which might fit to your ruleset. I tried to attach a htm file for the char I made, but I am not allowed to add such a file to the forum. Can I mail it to you maybe?
Just give it to me in plain text, or in the sheet I linked you to. I'm not willing to monkey around with file formats.
Amara wrote:ohhh do stop mocking the poor werebear's failure to succeed on control shape. xD
Just remember, I offered you something to help with that whole issue, and you turned it down because you didn't think you deserved any more extras....
He's worked out much better in my own D&D game as an NPC anyway haha (I could show you how he got re-statted, if you're ever curious. :b )
I am, in fact. I'd been wondering if you'd mind my using him as an NPC myself (probably not in this game, but just in the campaign setting in general). He fits very well with the themes.
My long-neglected blog.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:28 am

Willpell: Will you at any point attempt to move to D&D NEXT (aka 5.0)?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:44 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Willpell: Will you at any point attempt to move to D&D NEXT (aka 5.0)?
No time soon; can't afford the books. It does look neat, but it'll be a long time before they convert most of the cool non-core stuff (psionics, skill tricks, reserve and devotion feats, races like Goliath and Illumian), assuming they ever do (Incarnum, binder, shadowcaster, dragon shaman). Maybe in a few years I'll pick it up, but not soon enough to be relevant to us.
My long-neglected blog.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:26 pm

willpell wrote:
The difference between 6 and 7 would be extremely significant to a Wizard, but as a Sorcerer it matters little. I'll be glad you won't be starting at 8, though. It spares me from having to deal with 4th-level spells for a little while, and they're the ones that famously break the game in half.
If you think some spells are overpowered, just tell me which and I won't chose them. I want to play, not break the game. ;)

Hope that is a good format:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Nerre wrote:If you think some spells are overpowered, just tell me which and I won't chose them. I want to play, not break the game. ;)
The worst offenders all come online at sorcerer level 8 - the ones I have a particular beef with are Polymorph, Minor Creation, Bestow Curse, and Leomund's Secure Shelter. The entire Summon Monster line is a source of headaches, which get exponentially worse as the spell grade increases. Other than SM3, there probably isn't much at grade 3 which is overpowered, but Arcane Sight is a nuisance because it forces me to come up with information that I usually haven't thought about. Come to think of it, Divinations in general have that effect a lot; Detect Magic is a grade-1 spell which players have every reason to want to use, but most of the time if they choose to use it, I won't have anything in particular to tell them about the results. Other than that, while several spells can be abused to make them overly strong, I can easily put the kibosh on those abuses with a DM ruling, so there shouldn't be any problems for the moment.
Hope that is a good format:
Seems mostly adequate, but there were a few issues.
STR 8 (-1)
DEX 10 (+0)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 17 (+3)
I assume that this started as 16 Charisma, purchased as 18 before racial mods, with a +1 at level 4. But if I'm counting right, you've missed about 4 PB - you paid 6 for CON, 4 for INT, 2 for WIS and 16 for CHA, totaling 28, out of the 32 you were allowed. So you could buff CON to 16, INT to 17, Wis or DEX to 14, STR to 12, or some other combination.
Appraise 2 0.0 2 0
Er, yeah, gonna need you to fix these. I'm guessing that this is meant to be "total check 2, from 0 ranks and +2 INT mod, with no special modifier", but that leaves me with no idea what the second 0, or the decimal point, are about. I'd prefer if you'd turn it into something more like:
Appraise +2 = 0 ranks + 2 INT + 0 special
(The "special" modifiers can include racial bonuses, feats, armor check penalties, penalty for lack of necessary tools, size modifier to Hide checks, and so forth. I'd prefer these were shown separately, since we're not trying to keep to a column structure as you would on an actual sheet.)
Quicken Spell
This feat is useless to sorcerers unless they take an alternate class feature, which requires them to give up their familiar or something. (There are probably other ways but I'm not sure what they are.)
Saves:
DC:
Casting:
Duration:
Range:
Components:
SR:
Effect:
Target:
() - per day
Saves:
DC:
Casting:
Duration:
Range:
Components:
SR:
Effect:
Target:
() - per day
This part also did not work. Unless they're just spells you were going to come back and fill in later.
Detect Magic (Divination)
Ghost Sound (Illusion)
Light (Evocation)
Mage Hand (Transmutation)
Message (Transmutation)
Prestidigitation (Universal)
Read Magic (Divination)

Charm Person (Enchantment)
Comprehend Languages (Divination)
Disguise Self (Illusion)
Identify (Divination)
Silent Image (Illusion)

Invisibility (Illusion)
Spider Climb (Transmutation)
Summon Monster II (Conjuration)

Dispel Magic (Abjuration)
Fly (Transmutation)
This looks okay - the only caveat is on Summon Monster. You'll be expected to provide easily-readable-by-me(-and-making-them-that-way-is-your-problem-not-mine) statblocks for every creature which you summon this way, unless you'd rather I just provide the creatures which the spell calls instead of you choosing them, and possibly even then. In general, this spell is good at making the game slow to a crawl by giving the player and/or the GM too much to juggle; it certainly is useful and flavorful, so I don't want to say you can't have it, but be aware it causes issues that you'll have to deal with.
------------------------ Description -----------------------
Height: 0' 0" Weight: 0 lbs.
Ah, so you're A Square, got it. :lol:
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:24 pm

I shouldn't say this but starting reading Pell thread a little and it got me interested in playing, I'm not sure how much free time i have currently and whilst I've played pathfinder, I've not played 3.5 since it was still 3.0 and only the three core books were out. As such I'm tempted to join if you want another player but my time to think up and create something is small currently.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 pm

willpell wrote: Just remember, I offered you something to help with that whole issue, and you turned it down because you didn't think you deserved any more extras....
I didn't anticipate never being able to even hit a 10 on control shape. xD
willpell wrote: I am, in fact. I'd been wondering if you'd mind my using him as an NPC myself (probably not in this game, but just in the campaign setting in general). He fits very well with the themes.
Sure thing. I'll see about getting his character sheets typed up. There's two versions of him technically; a 3.5 version and a Pathfinder one, but both are fully statted. (We're doing a continuous world, and switched from 3.5 to Pathfinder toward the end of the first campaign, though our rules are kind of halfway between with random homebrew taken from AD&D. I think we have homebrewed enough at this point that the game is practically our own edition.)
Arguably the Pathfinder version of him works better (due to the nature of the Hospitaler alt Paladin class existing,) but in 3.5 he was set up to eventually prestige in to Sacred Fist.

Right now I'm sort of at the crunch time where tons of papers are due and I have lots of tests all at once, (semester coming to an end and all,) so I'll be slow.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:50 am

Patdragon wrote:I shouldn't say this but starting reading Pell thread a little and it got me interested in playing, I'm not sure how much free time i have currently and whilst I've played pathfinder, I've not played 3.5 since it was still 3.0 and only the three core books were out. As such I'm tempted to join if you want another player but my time to think up and create something is small currently.
Sounds okay; if you'd like I can create a character to your specifications, thereby saving you time.
My long-neglected blog.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Will correct it soon. And yes, the broken looking part was empty. maybe ment for a log of which spells were already used during a day.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:08 am

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:05 am

I like things not quite in the common as I have played most at one point or another

races that sound of interest so far after reading some bits.

Karsite, changeling, whisper gnome, cat folk, human with aberrant feats... a friend mentioned an old dragon kobold, but not found info that one.

Classes that sound interesting given that a arcane and fighter type have already been taken..... and I'm not a fan of cleric types as they always get stuck with healing.

Scout, Variant rogue (not sure which), binder seems interesting but maybe to complex to read up on, but a friend has the book i can borrow so will read a little on that, factotum seems interesting mid ground.

That's all I've had time to think of but also trying to think what would fit with a tiefling and lizardman and my brain says monstrous party.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem