Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

willpell
Banned

Re: D&D 3.5

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:14 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Humans? ;)
Er, right, them too. :sulk:
Ayeaka wrote:Fair enough! I can easily tone it down, make a different character, or just not play a bard. I just like bardic knowledge...a lot.
Hm. I have mixed feelings on Bardic Knowledge. On the one hand it can be an excuse to feed the players plot, which I always like doing. But conversely, if I don't have a satisfactory answer to some question, I don't want to have to make up something inadequate just because the player made a roll - whereas, if I do have a really great explanation for something written, I don't like having to keep it to myself because the player failed the roll. I'd rather just give information away anytime it's appropriate.
Willpell wrote:I'm not huge on the HD, so it'd probably be easier just to start you off at level 7. It's a weence higher than I'm used to, but shouldn't be too hard to adapt.
Er, what I meant to say there is "I'm not huge on the Monster Classes".
Feytala wrote:If you just want bardic Knowledge, play a cloistered Cleric ?^^
I wouldn't mind someone doing exactly that, although Celine's character will have some cleric casting so you'd want to be careful not to get too redundant.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Dang, I was going to open recruitment for a DnD 3.5 game on Wednesday for lvl 6s. Looks like you beat me too a 3.5 game though.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Do that, I like the posibility to choose... :D

I just wonder why nobody ever I played with starts @Level one. It's always at least level 5... ^^

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:14 pm

I have been playing DnD for 7 years. I have gotten a little tired of always starting with lvl 1. Also being lvl 1 limits some of the stuff you can do with your characters.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:40 pm

Feytala wrote:Do that, I like the posibility to choose... :D

I just wonder why nobody ever I played with starts @Level one. It's always at least level 5... ^^
It's really hard to make a game interesting with Level 1. If I were running Wotco, I'd put out an entire book specifically to overcome the inherent boringness of having to fight nothing but goblins and rats and brigands, because an orc with a greataxe can one-hit your tank fighter on a lucky roll, and your wizard has three daily castings of magic missile before he's left with nothing but poor crossbowmanship. There are some classes that are worth trying to play from level 1, but that doesn't make up for the severe deficit of meaningful-but-not-too-lethal challenges, or the fact that even the least interesting of treasures is going to be level-inappropriate.
Arydra wrote:Dang, I was going to open recruitment for a DnD 3.5 game on Wednesday for lvl 6s. Looks like you beat me too a 3.5 game though.
Hey, don't let me stop you - I might even like to play, something I have gotten to do for perhaps three sessions grand total my entire life, and this is just sad considering how much I love making characters.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:27 am

In case anyone wonders, I am still here.

I just have nothing to add currently :p

Oh, except for still needed a good Lv1 Feat. Or two, if he gets the penalty thingy that makes him easier to hit.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 am

I would say that since so much of the future of your build is structured, you should take a more personal feat or two at level 1, just something to round out your identity rather than being mechanically necessary.

Also I haven't seen any character sheets or anything. Perhaps I should make a new thread for that?
My long-neglected blog.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Re: Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

Post by Arydra » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

If anyone here needs/wants an online 3.5 players hand book just follow this link. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 I have no idea if this page has character sheets or not.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:44 pm

By the way, we'll be doing 32-point buy for Attributes, I should probably have mentioned that sooner. This makes it possible to get one 18 or two 16s and still have a few points to spend patching a few of those 8s. I also allow the use of Flaws as long as they're not too obviously minmaxy; if having one of your Attributes below 8 (for humans; nonhumans can often penalize one particular stat lower than that) is important to your concept, the "Pathetic" flaw will let you drop it to 6, and you'll get a free Feat out of the deal. This may require you to spend your PB somewhat sloppily in order to meet Pathetic's "total Attribute modifiers must be 7 or less" prerequisite - taking 17 instead of 16 eats up three PBs with no immediate benefit, apart from qualifying for a few feats, but making your character suck up-front like this means they'll have a lot of room to grow with their +1s at every fourth level, and character development is always good RP.

Anyway when I say "character sheets" I don't mean an actual sheet, but something readable in a PBP format. Here's something to get you started:

Name : World's Dumbest Wizard
Race : Tiefling
Class : Wizard 2
ECL : 3
Align : True Neutral
Affiliation: None
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:19 pm

willpell wrote:By the way, we'll be doing 32-point buy for Attributes, I should probably have mentioned that sooner.
I know the 4e point buy... is it the same costs?

I also believe that CHA and WIS are the two most important stats for Adofaer, right? And you said we're starting at Lv7?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 pm

A quick helpful hint here
Sheets can be found and created on www.myth-weavers.com and you can generate a simpel statistic in the bottom which you can copy to the forum, or just give willpell the link to the sheet.
for the point buy system all ability scores starts at 8 and upgrading from 8 to 14 cost 1 point for each time you raise it by one. 15 and 16 cost 2 points each time you raise it to that stat, and 17 and 18 cost 3 points each. So getting 18 in one stat would cost 16 all together.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Theis2 wrote:for the point buy system all ability scores starts at 8 and upgrading from 8 to 14 cost 1 point for each time you raise it by one. 15 and 16 cost 2 points each time you raise it to that stat, and 17 and 18 cost 3 points each. So getting 18 in one stat would cost 16 all together.
Ah, thanks for the information. Seems like the same as 4e, in that case.

As for the sheets. I have an account on that site if the GM is okay with that format.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:37 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:Ah, thanks for the information. Seems like the same as 4e, in that case.
Not quite the same from what I'm told; 4E starts you at 10 except for one attribute, and I think the costs start going up at 13 rather than 14, and possibly are up to 4 points for an 18. So the 3E version lets you make a character excel in one or two areas more easily, but makes it harder to be well-rounded in the areas you don't excel in.

Comparison of the two systems (assuming I'm remembering 4E's rules right; it was secondhand info in the first place so I take no responsibility if it's incorrect); with a 32-point buy, you could get this:

3E: 18 (16), 18 (16), 08 (00), 08 (00), 08 (00), 08 (00) - only 3E can give you two 18s.
4E: 18 (17), 17 (13), 12 (02), 10 (00), 10 (00), 08 (00) or
4E: 18 (17), 17 (13), 10 (00), 10 (00), 10 (00), 10 (02)

3E: 18 (16), 16 (10), 14 (06), 08 (00), 08 (00), 08 (00)
4E: 18 (17), 16 (10), 14 (05), 10 (00), 10 (00), 08 (00) - 4E clearly does better here.

3E: 18 (16), 14 (06), 14 (06), 12 (04), 08 (00), 08 (00)
4E: 18 (17), 14 (05), 14 (05), 14 (05), 10 (00), 08 (00) - again, advantage to 4E.

3E: 16 (10), 16 (10), 16 (10), 10 (02), 08 (00), 08 (00)
4E: 16 (10), 16 (10), 16 (10), 12 (02), 10 (00), 08 (00) or
4E: 16 (10), 16 (10), 16 (10), 10 (00), 10 (00), 10 (02) - 4E looks really good these days.

3E: 14 (06), 14 (06), 14 (06), 14 (06), 14 (06), 10 (02)
4E: 14 (05), 14 (05), 14 (05), 14 (05), 14 (05), 12 (05) - Yet again, advantage to 4E.

So it's clear that unless you want to make a very narrowly focused character, and/or view the possession of shortcomings in your character as an advantage (which I do, as I think it makes them more interesting), 4E's method produces much stronger results. However I will nonetheless stick with 3E's system.
As for the sheets. I have an account on that site if the GM is okay with that format.
If you must, I suppose. I'm not too fond of MW but I'll learn to live with whatever you guys are comfortable with.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 pm

I'll try to get something up here soon.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:56 am

willpell wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:As for the sheets. I have an account on that site if the GM is okay with that format.
If you must, I suppose. I'm not too fond of MW but I'll learn to live with whatever you guys are comfortable with.
As I said, I'll work with what you'd like. If you want the series of spoilers, I can do that as well.

I'd just likely have a proper sheet somewhere so that the stat block can line up in a grid. :lol:

I already have submitted my backstory, and most of the build is implied. So I will officially submit things after I can check the two classes and PrC to ensure the stat requirements and am at a point where I am not dodging assignments to do it...

Also, if memory serves the main issue with my build was not the time it takes go get both to Lv2 spells, but rather the fact that neither class has Knowledge Religion as a class still. Both have Knowledge Arcana, if I remember correctly. Though that may have been an issue with that Pathfinder versions?

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:41 am

Good question... 3.5 or Pathfinder, actually ? While I have not much ideas of PF, what I saw in their SRD seemed almost always BETTER to my liking.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:54 am

CelineSSauve wrote:Also, if memory serves the main issue with my build was not the time it takes go get both to Lv2 spells, but rather the fact that neither class has Knowledge Religion as a class still. Both have Knowledge Arcana, if I remember correctly.
I houseruled that; FS should definitely have K:Religion instead.
Feytala wrote:Good question... 3.5 or Pathfinder, actually ? While I have not much ideas of PF, what I saw in their SRD seemed almost always BETTER to my liking.
3.5 definitely. I have a rather strong dislike of Pathfinder, though I may occasionally import things from it.
My long-neglected blog.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 pm

willpell wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:Also, if memory serves the main issue with my build was not the time it takes go get both to Lv2 spells, but rather the fact that neither class has Knowledge Religion as a class still. Both have Knowledge Arcana, if I remember correctly.
I houseruled that; FS should definitely have K:Religion instead.
Okay, cool.
willpell wrote:
Feytala wrote:Good question... 3.5 or Pathfinder, actually ? While I have not much ideas of PF, what I saw in their SRD seemed almost always BETTER to my liking.
3.5 definitely. I have a rather strong dislike of Pathfinder, though I may occasionally import things from it.
I am also iffy about Pathfinder. But that's mainly because they're trying so hard to make all characters unique that it feels like micromanaging an the epic level.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 pm

I don't have as deep a knowledge of hte source material for some of these things, and have not played an ACTUAL game of D&D before, though I've played NWN on the computer. Was all set up to do a campaign once, but the DM was a flake and spent all his time making a map that we never played on. Would my relative newness be an issue for you Pell? I'm not dumb, just less experienced, so as long as that isn't a detraction for the rest of you, I promise to learn quick! :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Was all set up to do a campaign once, but the DM was a flake and spent all his time making a map that we never played on.
This is tragically not an unusual event.
Would my relative newness be an issue for you Pell? I'm not dumb, just less experienced, so as long as that isn't a detraction for the rest of you, I promise to learn quick! :)
I'm totally down to help you out with some learning as best I can manage, absolutely. Any and all questions you got, send 'em my way and I'll see what I can do.
My long-neglected blog.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 am

If it's not too late, I'd like to throw my hat (if I wore one) into the ring for consideration. Haven't fully hammered out the character concept yet, but when a previous 3.5 game had started, I had expressed interest in playing a Battle Sorcerer, and I'd still like to give that a spin if at all possible.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:05 pm

A bit redundant with our Favored Soul, but with careful spell selection that's fixable. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, although I have yet to actually see any completed sheets I think, and only a couple people have discussed their plans in much depth. Soon as someone gets a finalized sheet I can start talking about initial plots.
My long-neglected blog.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:41 pm

willpell wrote:A bit redundant with our Favored Soul, but with careful spell selection that's fixable. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, although I have yet to actually see any completed sheets I think, and only a couple people have discussed their plans in much depth. Soon as someone gets a finalized sheet I can start talking about initial plots.
I likely won't be able to complete my sheet until Monday at the earliest. I have things due the next two days, then will be heading out of town for three days.

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:55 pm

I am sure I'll regret it, but... I am thinking, if I shouldn't retreat my interest and I am sorry for any work I may have made up. Considering my lacking experience, I don't want to start as high as level 7, in a world which I don't know to an extend that I could play my character as smooth as I'd like to. 3-5 wouldve been in tolerance, but like that... Also, I had more hoped to become a hero and cool figure, not just another just-slightly-better-than-average-joe (I am not feeling well with the information, that nearly everybody in your world has 3-5 Levels in adventuring classes. That makes the PCs much less unique, I think...). At last I think, maybe your game is to open for me. I need more borders on which I can hold myself in an RPG as heavy-ruled as D&D and considering a world that at least holds that many different races and cultures. Also I am considering me kind of boring when I hear of Werebear-Paladins, Spider-worshipping scientific Druids and so on, while I just think of a) Someone who is hiding and searching a place for herself or b) A somewhat wild and tomboyish Human or Elven Wizardress... Also I tried to build a character and to tell the truth, while I read many books in the last few days, I am just overwhelmed by the mass. PHB (3.5 anf PF), MM, Complete Series, Unearthed Arcana, a few Dragon Magazines at which I was pointed when asked for help and thats only the top of the mountain...

I have the feeling, that my lack of competence in this matters could cut the fun of others... And the last thing I want is to steal someones fun. :(

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:I likely won't be able to complete my sheet until Monday at the earliest.
Okay, not a problem.
I have things due the next two days, then will be heading out of town for three days.
You aren't by any chance going to a sci-fi convention in Minnesota, are you? :|
Feytala wrote:I am sure I'll regret it, but... I am thinking, if I shouldn't retreat my interest and I am sorry for any work I may have made up. Considering my lacking experience, I don't want to start as high as level 7, in a world which I don't know to an extend that I could play my character as smooth as I'd like to.
If you want the newbie experience, one option is to play a character with ECL 7 but no class levels; I can help you figure out some such creatures (offhand, black and copper dragon hatchlings, araneas, half-dragon bugbears and half-celestial or half-fiend lizardfolk come to mind; all have no class levels, and a centaur or phrenic bugbear with one class level also work). This way, you could be brand-new to the world but potent enough to hold your own. Alternatively if you just want a lower power level, I could try to set up two games running in parallel where you'd fight the minions of the big boss while other characters fight the boss himself, or just make you the sidekick of the stronger character who earns XP much faster from the dangers they face together and eventually catches up.
Also, I had more hoped to become a hero and cool figure, not just another just-slightly-better-than-average-joe (I am not feeling well with the information, that nearly everybody in your world has 3-5 Levels in adventuring classes. That makes the PCs much less unique, I think...).
The PCs are always unique, because they're the PCs; that's how that works. They don't have inherently better capabilities; they just lead a bit more of a charmed life and have interesting things tend to happen to them with unusual regularity. Kind of like celebrities and politicians and so forth in our world; there isn't that dramatic a difference between Cameron Diaz and any random reasonably-attractive woman off the street, it's just that Cam has had opportunities to enhance her natural talents and seize the limelight so that she can be celebrated for her uniqueness, while other women that are just as pretty, just as talented, and just as unique are lucky to get a small part in an off-Broadway play, just because they haven't had quite the luck or made the right connections or for a thousand other reasons.
At last I think, maybe your game is to open for me. I need more borders on which I can hold myself in an RPG as heavy-ruled as D&D and considering a world that at least holds that many different races and cultures.
Okay, that part sort of makes sense to me, but can you elaborate on what you mean? If you need a bit more structure I might be able to provide it, but I'm not clear on whether that is in fact what you're asking for here.
Also I am considering me kind of boring when I hear of Werebear-Paladins, Spider-worshipping scientific Druids and so on, while I just think of a) Someone who is hiding and searching a place for herself or b) A somewhat wild and tomboyish Human or Elven Wizardress..
You don't have to be too unusual; I can help you pick out a few small tricks that can help you stand out while still feeling somewhat "normal". A Devotion Feat, say, or a few Skill Tricks, or a decent standing in some Affiliation...there's lots of bells and whistles that you can use to punch up a character without changing them too much.
Also I tried to build a character and to tell the truth, while I read many books in the last few days, I am just overwhelmed by the mass. PHB (3.5 anf PF), MM, Complete Series, Unearthed Arcana, a few Dragon Magazines at which I was pointed when asked for help and thats only the top of the mountain...
Hey, you can let me do some of that work for you; I actually really get off on it. Give me a vague idea of what sort of character you want to play, and I can use my moderate "system mastery" to help you build it. Going off what you said before, a Transmuter with the Animal Companion ACF from Unearthed Arcana, possibly going into a PrC such as Daggerspell Mage, sounds like it might get at some of the flavor you're after - and that's completely just off the top of my head, i swear it. I know things, seriously; save yourself the exhaustion of doing all that legwork when I'll be happy to tackle much of it, just as a cure for my own boredom. :cheer:
I have the feeling, that my lack of competence in this matters could cut the fun of others... And the last thing I want is to steal someones fun. :(
Don't sell yourself short. We as conscientious "geeks" may fear the limelight, but if we can overcome our shyness and work together, we can bring ourselves to whole new heights of fun. (Not for the first time, I wish this forum had a "hug" function so I could give out encouragement more succinctly.) o:)
My long-neglected blog.