Nexus recruitment.

Mytical
Mutters to Themself

Nexus recruitment.

Post by Mytical » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Here is where you will sign up to have a character for the nexus. There really will be no dice, stats, etc involved. This is to have fun, go a little crazy (A LITTLE, not a lot) and let your imagination run wild. You want to be like Batman? Be like batman. You want to be a futuristic bounty hunter..go ahead. Cyberpunk, superheroes, fantasy characters..the sky is the limit (well technically I set the limit, but meh..chances are unless they are seriously broken I won't say no.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Re: Nexus recruitment.

Post by BeanDip » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Looks cool. Would like to reserve a spot for when my questions here and in the OOC thread are answered.

How many spots are there, when will RP begin and when will sign-ups close?
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:30 pm

In the Paratime novels, the police proctected the secret of time travel (dimension hopping). Why does your setting need police?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Mytical
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mytical » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Ok I am hoping to get a minimum of 4 players, a maximum of 8. It would be very difficult to have many more..though if we reach 8 and things are slow still, I would extend the maximum. Most of the forums I've ran this on had no minimum, and I didn't really have to worry about a maximum. I've ran it quite well with 2 people (very active posters).

I will give two weeks for signup before starting the game, then since time is relative in the game, and the nexus is HUGE there will be ongoing recruitment. I can fit just about anybody in at any time. Even if I have only two people I can keep things interesting for them.

As for why a police force is needed. Hold on to your hats, this is going to be a bit lengthy.

Ok the IDP does not have jurisdiction in cases that do not cross dimensions. If somebody from dimension 183 does something illegal in 183, the IDP could care less. So..why are they needed?

One of the best examples I could give is the series of books called Thomas Covenant (spelling) the Unbeliever (with such titles as White Gold Wielder, Illearth Stone, The One tree). He has something that is not native to that world a white gold wedding ring (white gold never existed in the dimension he traveled to). Now imagine if instead of giving him powers it was poisonous. Or if he had brought plain sugar and it had acted like a powerful drug. The locals couldn't stop him, because he could just 'pop' back home, and they could not follow him. The IDP stops the crimes that crosses dimensional boundaries. Now not everybody who crosses dimensions is a criminal, but the multiverse is huge with population that would boggle the mind. We might not even yet have a large enough number. There are even permits for crossing that makes crossing legal. IDP takes care of the whole multiverse and tries to prevent bad things from crossing from one dimension to another. That is why IDP is needed.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:28 pm

This reminds me of the myth series.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Why do the police care, other than altruism? Sure I could see somone protecting thier dimension, but why bother to protect someone else's dimension?

Anything else aside from drugs and poisions? Any explanation why 4D border security is not much much harder than plain old border security, which is already impossible? Say someone bad is doing something bad, how the hell are you going to find them even if you know where the last bad thing was done?

The idea sounds cool, but ATM it has some holes.

Mytical
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mytical » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:39 pm

I believe I already explained it, but here it is in a nutshell. No matter who they are (some beings such as gods or death would be somewhat immune) when they cross the boarder of a dimension into another dimension pick up something like 'background radiation'. While it won't pinpoint them exactly, it will give a general idea of where they are, as the IDP has devices that pick up that radiation. It will require work to find them, but that is part of the fun. Just showing up/fighting the bad guy/leaving is all well and good, but there has to be some challenge after all.

As for why they care, why do police care about their city/town/village/whatever ? Not to mention that careless crossing can weaken the dimensional walls, and wreck havoc on the whole multiverse (the Nexus included) and cause spill over from one dimension to another. Which can destroy both dimensions, and start a chain reaction that would lead to possibly the whole multiverse to collapse. For the most part they can patch the breeches, but stopping the ones who cross without taking certain precautions is in their best interests.

As for risks that are not destroying the multiverse (or just two dimensions), drugs, or poisons..there is many more dangers. Imagine if something like a Intergalactic warship (spaceship) would go to a dimension where technology is equivalent to ancient rome? Or a Dragon would come rampaging into our world? A corporation who finds a dimensional hole and starts pumping their toxins into it? Heck some crazy person porting through dimensions on a killing spree. What if Jack the Ripper was just a dimensional traveler? :P

Now the average person on the street do not 'see' anything out of the ordinary..mostly because they don't want to see it. If you have ever watched Dr. Who or Torchwood they have a 'perception filter'..which pretty much means that people will only see what they are meant to and nothing else. So they won't even be aware that there is a humanoid talking dog, as they would see the person as one of their own. Those that can cross dimensions (even if they have not yet) would see what was really going on.

I know I am not explaining it great, which is a lacking on my part and not anybody elses. Although I have almost 25 years as a gm, and have ran multiple games on a couple of forums, sometimes it is hard for me to explain things. All suggestions are welcome.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Not destroying the multiverse is a fair selfish reason. Although that could mean crime is fine so long as you use the approved portals.

Mytical
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mytical » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Then what would stop the criminals from coming to their dimension and doing the same? Remember, once they are able to hop dimensions..there is little to stop them from hoping to any dimension..including the Nexus, the dimensions that the IDP personnel come from, etc. They wouldn't want such in their own dimension, so best to stop it before it does get to their own dimension.