Interest Check: Freeform un-DMed Matrix RP

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Interest Check: Freeform un-DMed Matrix RP

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:57 am

Ok, so - I can't commit to actively "running" a game, consolidating posts and creating daily replies, but I used to manage a forum based RPG in the good old days, the year the original Matrix film came out. I set the scene, occasionally moved an NPC or created an objective, and aside from that the players managed themselves. It's a big futuristic sandbox.

It was set before we knew what Zion was like, before the general weirdness of the second and third films, and so on. I had a rudimentary stats/skills system, both in-Matrix and Real World. There were different classes of Agent (before the film did it - heh) and Program, a whole fleet of independently captained ships, an outpost nearer the surface called Babylon...I lost these details along the way - it was several laptops ago and backups lived on Geocities. But I can recreate them.

Would anyone be interested in this? There's no limit on player numbers, anyone could join, you could be whatever you wanted - hell, you could have several characters. It can be huge or tiny. But I'd love to see my little world inhabited again. I'll throw all my old PCs and NPCs, and some other characters whose players I know wouldnt mind being used in homage, in as NPCs. I just need some players to get it started, and then we can grow it from there together.

If I get some interest, I'll start padding out details. I really hope some of you want to join me.

(edit to add: in our game, Neo was just sort of glossed over, since the end of the film made him kind of godly and game breaking. We pretended he did exist, but he was just another freedom fighter, symbolic rather than Uberpowered. I might make this version pre-Neo, so somewhere in the background, Morpheus still seeks The One, but hasn't found him.)

ThroughTheWell

Re: Interest Check: Freeform un-DMed Matrix RP

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 am

Looks cool. Sorry, I can't play. Oh, sounds a bit like the Matrix knock-off game somwhere in the 623 page archive of http://agc.deskslave.org/ . If I get real motivated I might narrow down where. Wow, found the start of the arc realatively quickly. http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=62 Enjoy.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Sounds interesting. Really cool, actually. But I hated The Matrix, so I don't think I'd be a good player.

Do you happen to know/remember the Geocities URL? Archive.org probably has it. I think some dedicated soul might even have created an archive just of Geocities. At least, I have a vague memory to that effect. ... Actually, let me see. Yeah, there it is. oocities.org is a Geocities mirror. Google says archiveteam.org also has something that may be of use.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:10 am

I actually ended up semi-stalking someone yesterday to try and locate old players - I hosted some of it, he hosted another part. And the main redirect (matrixrpg.tk) run through archive.org sadly goes to a failpage. The Geocities urls were AcidHydrolysis and FSF_Hammerwell. It turns out Hammerwell uses the same email address now for his facebook as he did back then for MSN, so I've added him despite us not having any contact for yeeeears. I doubt he has any of the files though.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 am

Double post to say: TTW, I read through the story arc with the Index in that comic and found it really enjoyable, thanks for showing me :)

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:32 am

You are welcome. I thought it had a good matrix feel, while still being original.

I hope that author continues his webcomic. It seems like it has been on hold for at least a month.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.