Accel World - setup and discussion

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Accel World - setup and discussion

Post by Mereneth » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:25 pm

This forum game is based off the anime, Accel World. The show sported an interesting Virtual Reality [VR] setup that had a certain level of exclusivity, specifically to youth who had been equipped with a special neck-ring computer since birth.

While the plot of the anime itself won't be continued here, the purpose of this game is to take advantage of the combat system{s}and character generation.

Initially, only a few people will be allowed to join. After reaching level two, each of these people will be allowed to invite a single person to the game. This is the only person you will be allowed to bring into the game, ever.

I'm still working out a lot of details, but I'll keep updating the following list with information as I sort things out:

• Setting is in the year 2215, though given the game itself will mostly take place in the VR setting the main influence this has is setting the stage and allowing for character development options for outside fights.
  • This will be a semi open RP, as you have to receive an invitation from a current player to join; coaxing them out of their sole invite might not be easy!
  • You start out with 100 points.
  • If you reach zero [0] points, you are no longer allowed to participate and have no way of getting back in.
    1. Level 1-4
    2. Losing a fight costs you 10 points, and the victor receives 10 points.
    3. Normal battles last a maximum of 150 turns [one post per participant, making battles last a total of 300 posts.]
    4. Leveling up from 1 to 2 costs 300 points. They are removed from your points total permanently when you decide to level up. 2 -> 3 Costs 900 3 -> 4 Costs 2700.
    5. At level four and up you can spend 10 points to enter Unlimited Burst, a hunting ground where you can join with other players, at your own risk, to seek out stronger monsters, aka The Enemy, to gain more points per kill, split between the team of players.
    6. While in Unlimited Burst, you can be freely targeted, and vice versa, by any other player also in unlimited burst. Defeating another player in this mode earns the victor 25 points, and the loser loses 25 points.
    7. There is no turn limit in Unlimited Burst
  • Each time you level up, you can increase a stat [TBD] and gain one new move.
  • Leveling currently goes to 10, but the higher level you go, the higher the cost; this cost eventually takes more than just points.
  • Your color, stated in your name, determines your strengths/weaknesses and type. A lot of that is TBD
  • Since our player count won't completely support the leveling system, there will be ways to gain points besides just fighting other players via NPCs, however you can still lose your points which are then added to the NPCs pool.
  • You may not challenge anyone 3 levels above or below your current level.
  • Besides avoidance stats, no stat may cause an attack to do less than one damage if it hits. ***update 7/9/13
  • More to come
  1. Stats - exact numbers not set in stone yet and are present primarily to give a feel for how stats will work.
  2. Strength - Affects all direct contact damage you do. Swords, fists, feet and such. Limits weapons held without equipment augmentation. High or low strength affect the use of some equipment. For every 1 point of strength over 10, you gain a 1% chance for your attacks to knock your opponent down/aside, giving you an extra attack to be added to your next regular attack.
  3. Speed - With enough Speed stat investment, you gain additional attacks in a turn. Also determines who has first strike. For every 3 points above 7, receive a 1% chance to avoid an attacks. This particular bonus cannot exceed 25%.
  4. Defense - Affects how much damage you take from physical attacks.
  5. Resistance - Affects how much damage you take from elemental attacks.
  6. Dexterity - Affects accuracy and damage with ranged weapons. Affects chance to dodge attacks.
  7. Intelligence - Affects damage with elemental attacks. Low intelligence prevents use of some equipment.
  8. Density - Affects how much other players and monsters can move your character against your will. Impacts your speed, requiring more speed points to receive bonus attacks by lowering your speed stat during calculations by 1 for every 3 points of Density over 7. In turn, for every point of density over 10, you receive a bonus of 1 defense. [If you normally have a speed stat of 8, and your density is or becomes 10 {at minimum] your speed would = 7 when calculated for extra attacks or avoidance.

I gladly welcome discussion, comments, questions and interest as I work on this.
Last edited by Mereneth on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Accel World - setup and discussion

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:26 am

Dibs! So much dibs on a slot :p

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:48 pm

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:27 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:
► Show Spoiler
xD Glad you like it. Honestly, it will be a big project. There is a whole ton to work out involving stats and alternate means of players earning points to compensate for the lower player cap and equipment [though i think largely equipment will be descriptive with some stat changing effects.]

Nikohl is helping me with the name generation type stuff, which is awesome since I can focus more on crunching numbers.

To top it off, since your player is represented as an avatar you will be able to have it rather customized, visually, once receiving your name that is.

I think the biggest thing will be the actual rolling of attacks and such. With no forum-side dice system, things will be interesting to figure out.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm

The stated number of posts to level seem rather high, even compared to our top posters so far, and you may have a more average and less frequent poster. Other than that, a lot would seem tpo depend on the details of how so many post help win a fight. Good luck.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:10 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:The stated number of posts to level seem rather high, even compared to our top posters so far, and you may have a more average and less frequent poster. Other than that, a lot would seem tpo depend on the details of how so many post help win a fight. Good luck.
Points, not posts. leveling has to do with points. Nothing is connected to the number of posts a person has. The duration of a battle has a time limit that is measured by the number of posts made to 'fight', but that is about the only correlation to posts.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:18 am

I think its this he talks about:
"maximum of 150 turns [one post per participant, making battles last a total of 300 posts.]"
and
"and the victor receives 10 points"
and
"Leveling up from 1 to 2 costs 300 points"

making, going from level 1 to 2 cost up to 4500 posts (If all is won and the battle goes to max rounds) and 60 on the odd chance that everything is resolved in 2 rounds.

unless we count the 100 beginner points, then its a cost of 40 to 3000 posts..

that's.... steep....
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:24 am

I was assuming that most battles weren't going to take 150 turns though O_o

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:27 am

Sure... but... even 2 rounds its 40-60 posts to get to level 2.
-Best regards LAYF

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 am

I'm working on it. That was only a rough idea that i've got to iron everything out on. I don't want it to take absurdly long until the far later levels.

I'm also debating on setting up a prize for level 10 as it will be the hardest to obtain.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 am

So, erm, I have been wondering how it works out with the points (total) over a longer period of time.

Each new player brings in 100 points. But each fight deduces 2 points from the total sum of points available. So, after 50 fights (overall) the points a new player has brought in, are ... destroyed.

Or, another POV: In order to reach level 2 (307 points - to be able to play after leveling up) and therefore being able to invite another player, one needs to win 23 fights, or in other words destroy 46 points from the total available sum, and that is in the ideal case of never losing ONE battle. O.o
Therefore, the total sum could go up by 64 points per new player added, at the most (again IDEAL conditions of never losing a single fight), while it goes down constantly (2 for each starting fight, and BIG time for leveling up 300 - about 5 new player's worth; then 900 - a bit more than 14 new players worth; then 2700 points - more than 42 new players worth). Since the number of additional players is extremely limited (namely the number of initial players that manage to reach level 2, then the number of new players, that manage to reach level 2, and so on), I don't see how this could possibly work out. (Other than an incredibly large number of initial players; but that didn't seem to be the case in the anime, either...)

In the anime, there are ways to earn points (out of "thin air") from fighting enemies, but I think you need to be at least level 4 to be able to go to the "lands without borders" or whatever the translation was.

So, how can it work out in the long run? I just don't understand. I have been asking myself the same question over and over again while watching the series, so it's nothing you are to be criticized for, Mereneth, mind you. ;)
I simply can't wrap my brains around this.

Sorry for disturbing the thread, even though I don't plan to play. :oops: But it HAS been bugging me for quite a while now. ;)
(Especially since the people in the series "waste" lots of points on other stuff, additionally to starting fights, like accelerating "just for fun" - when cheating at school tests, trying to ambush the new link brain buster, cheating at Kendo... you get the gist; ending challenges as ties, physical burst, full physical burst, and others that I just may have forgotten or never heard about.)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:41 am

Maybe there will be NPCs among us who also have points available to take? I'm sure there's a way to make the "total points" value usable, without making it too easy to get them. But I see the dilemma in having a fixed number of points & the need to spend them for progress with no new points coming in.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:45 am

In the anime, the population of players who started was way far above what we will be encountering on the forum, for starters. Also, in the anime it is suggested that early on and even up to the starting point of the show, no one was immune from losing their ability to play. People lost their points and were gone, completely forgetting the game and all of the connections to it. The points pool was large enough early on, even expecting some perma-deaths, to enable players to reach high enough to start earning points without fighting players.

We're talking about a population in the thousands that was able to grow. I don't know, honestly, when you're actually allowed to bring a new player into the game in the anime. I can't say I remember it being mentioned, even. It might have been possible from level one, but for a point of balance i'm planning on keeping that limit in place so that, while perhaps others might want to join, things aren't so thick early on. I still have to see what will work best.

@Nikohl I do plan for something like that. I have to keep it all sorted and balance, though!

Perhaps I won't bring point cost into play until later levels. I'm not sure yet. But, part of what will give the game its intensity will be that fact that you can lose your ability to play and that your points, even when trying to earn more, are still going to go down. This will make you think about what battles you under go vs just clash head on over and over.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:55 am

GathersIngredients wrote: Each new player brings in 100 points. But each fight deduces 2 points from the total sum of points available. So, after 50 fights (overall) the points a new player has brought in, are ... destroyed.
Actually there is a way around this. Starting a battle costs X points from both opponents. After the battle ends, 2X points are awarded to the winner. So it isn't significantly different from existing system, as players must have points to fight with others, winners gain points, losers lose points. But in this case there is no wasted points overall.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 am

Except for the points you spend to level up. Those are removed still and that's where the sudden deficit comes from.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Well
Yea

Hmm My suggestion:
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:52 pm

150 rounds is maximum, not average number of rounds. Though I would've cut it to 15-30 rounds and possibly added something to discourage players from hampering battles. Also geometric progression for levelups seems too harsh, especially with ratio of 3.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Nothing is set yet as far as the level up system goes. There is a lot of placeholder material. I do want the higher levels, though, to be more difficult to obtain.

Just like the anime, I intend for the level 9 to 10 transition to require you defeat 5 other level 9 players; in doing so they are removed from the game. As to reaching 6-9, gotta work that out.

Update: I've added some stat numbers and how they impact other stats and your actions. These aren't complete, mind, so i welcome feedback.