Surviving Castle Heterodyne - Recruitment Closed

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - Closed for now

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:28 am

Nerre wrote:I did read it, but I thought it was just flavour text, not actually telling us "just make up what you want". ;D
That's fine. I amused myself by making your Innate Skill under the spoilers in the first post "Reading Comprehension" ;)

To some degree it is 'just make up what you want', but the way leveling will work, it will benefit you more to achieve smaller more manageable tasks than to all out right from the start. If your character's goal is to build an extremely complicated device to escape the castle and I set a CP level of 30000 for that task and you're rolling a single d3 each turn, that is going to take you forever to complete it. However, if you level up a bunch of related skills through the course of play, to attempt that same task and you're rolling 2d4, 1d6, 3d8, 2d12... it's still gonna take a long time, but you might be able to accomplish it. If you work with other sparks (if you can get over the paranoia and distrust that most hold dear), they might be experts in particular disciplines you lack and can complete them more easily than you can.

Also, since the rewards only come upon completion of a task, you may be able to approach things in a series of steps, and further modifications will be separate tasks. For example, if Alaen's character wants to make an clockwork weapon, he may wish to start by crafting an weapon, then crafting other components (while being able to use the weapon), then combining them. Completion of each task will result in the gain of SP, which may be enough to level one of his skills, making completion of the final task quicker.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:34 am

Player colors? With # code too, please.

Does anyone know how to do the tabbed thing to keep track of player inventories and stats? Do I need permissions?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 am

You need to be a game master to use tabs.

My color = #008000

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:52 am

You need to be a in a Game Master group.
usergroups wrote:You must be running an active game1 in forum games in order to join this group, and its ranks will periodically be cleared of those who are no longer running games. This group provides certain additional features to make running games easier and to encourage more users to run games. Send a pm to Wolfie or SeeAMoose explaining why you should be allowed to join this group.

1. Active Games must be past sign ups if this is the first round of the game.
Last edited by gamecreator on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 am

I'll take purple #400080 as yellow is a bitch to work with.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 am

Nerre wrote:I will go with "heavy current and generator engineering" then.
Electricity?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 am

Brown then for me.

spiderwrangler wrote:
Electricity?
I thought we had to focus it more, so I did. Electricity does not really cover, as it also requires knowledge about magnetism and metal. And generators generate mostly electricity, but run on a wide spectrum of things. :D
Last edited by Nerre on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
:zzz:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:01 am

gamecreator wrote:You need to be a in a Game Master group.
usergroups wrote:You must be running an active game1 in forum games in order to join this group, and its ranks will periodically be cleared of those who are no longer running games. This group provides certain additional features to make running games easier and to encourage more users to run games. Send a pm to Wolfie or SeeAMoose explaining why you should be allowed to join this group.

1. Active Games must be past sign ups if this is the first round of the game.
Thanks!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:03 am

A pro po game master, was the glow effect gone for a day or two? Was missing it when I wanted to use it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:09 am

Nerre wrote:Brown then for me.

spiderwrangler wrote:
Electricity?
I thought we had to focus it more, so I did. Electricity does not really cover, as it also requires knowledge about magnetism and metal. And generators generate mostly electricity, but run on a wide spectrum of things. :D
Generator Engineering has the same problem of not being applicable in the short term... I'll have to think some more on this.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 am

The game thread will be over HERE. Please check your entry in the character entry there and post back in THIS THREAD if there are any additions or changes you wish to make.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 am

@spiderwrangler
Since you jumped straight to the metallurgy, I'll guess my initial proposal was also too OP? Anyway I'll take Weaponcraft then.

My color is gray #404040.

Also I was looking for a picture for Augusts clothing and found this, which is almost exactly how I pictured him so that's now his official look.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 am

Alaen wrote:@spiderwrangler
Since you jumped straight to the metallurgy, I'll guess my initial proposal was also too OP? Anyway I'll take Weaponcraft then.

My color is gray #404040.

Also I was looking for a picture for Augusts clothing and found this, which is almost exactly how I pictured him so that's now his official look.
Nice! I'll link that pic in his description. I like the the flavor of your original suggestion, but it felt a bit like "This and This" where I was trying to keep things to something that can be summed up in a word or two. I definitely support you playing him as a non-battle clank kind of spark, and as I told LAYF earlier, if this were a completely solid crafting system, I may be willing to offer bonuses in subdisciplines for taking restrictions in others, but I'm not prepared for that at this point.

I'm gonna leave out any melee/ranged restrictions on Weaponcraft... instead you may be able to gain skill as we go in your understanding of Blades, Projectiles, etc that will make August better at creating weapons of those types.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - Recruitment closed for now

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:08 am

Any comments on my character info?

As for color: Am I blue? #0000FF
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:36 am

spiderwrangler wrote: I definitely support you playing him as a non-battle clank kind of spark.
Clanks are for wimps, power armor and death rays is the way to go. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 am

WearsHats wrote:Any comments on my character info?

As for color: Am I blue? #0000FF
Blue works.
Backstory sounds good to me, Propellers may be a bit limiting early on... but with a the beanie in your starting equipment, it will be easier than if not... and it fits for you. :)

@Alaen & @nerre - your colors were to similar both to each other and to black text, so I've changed August's to #808080 and Hieronymus's to #804000. Let me know if that is acceptable to you.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Definitely yes. I was thinking that it was a bit too similar to nikohls anyway.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:38 pm

I can go to a lighter purple for convenience too, if mine's also a bit dark. I don't mind :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:19 pm

nikohl wrote:I can go to a lighter purple for convenience too, if mine's also a bit dark. I don't mind :)
Your purple should be ok, but I may change it if need be.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:41 pm

@Nerre - Any further thoughts to flesh out your character? Description, backstory, suggestions for skill, small number of items you'd like to start with?

@Alaen - Do you have any items you want to start with?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 pm

-coat and other clothing (obviously)
-goggles with additional lenses
-multitool
-some clockwork fiddly bits
-pocket watch

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 am

I'd like to start with clothes too... Just in case I end up nakie for not stating I had clothes, lol

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:36 am

nikohl wrote:I'd like to start with clothes too... Just in case I end up nakie for not stating I had clothes, lol
hehe... that.. That is cool, it gave me an idea.

okay... in all my posts is going to be a spoiler in the bottom like this one:
► Show Spoiler
is this okay Oh wise GM?
-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:20 am

Can we just assume that everyone, unless specifically stated otherwise, has clothing, basic tools, goggles, some kind of pouch or backpack, rope, food, etc.? Standard equipment. Or, better yet, that if it seems like you plausibly* should have it on hand odds are you have it?

*Per GM's determination

Also, since this is the Girl Genius world, should we assume that a single large wrench functions as a multitool? ;)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:44 am

This is my item list I did send him:

voltage tester
rubber gloves and boots
a large capacitor on his back
booster cables
electrician tape
a bunch of spare wires to connect things
a set of isolated pliers

I assumed we had basic clothing and only wrote down the special things. What are "basic tools"? You can get a 40 kg tool box filled with only basic tools if you want one for every screw or nut size. And rope (I climb a lot in real live) is not something you simply put in your pocket, it has some weight, like 1.5-2.5 kg per 10 m, and it also is not small. In a normal school backpack (20-30 liters) you can fit around 40-60 meters of rope, but then it is crammed full. Far less if you use old-style ropes with more than a centimeter width.
Also I don't know how common food is inside the castle, as it is damaged. I would assume it is brought to the entrance every now and then.

Don't get me wrong:
I don't want to be overly realistic and actually would be glad if we had "basic tools", I just wanted to point that out. :D
I also agree, having a multitool for some things would make the game a lot easier.