Feb 8th - A Mustache fit for a goblin

Discuss the comic here!
Patdragon
Game Master

Feb 8th - A Mustache fit for a goblin

Post by Patdragon » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:55 am

A new comic, and the first time ever to see and post it first.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02072015/
Last edited by lingrem on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added in link :)
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: Feb 8th - A Mustache fit for a goblin

Post by Glemp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:09 am

MinMax's head looks bigger than his torso in the mini panels :D. Wait...what? NO, THUNT, YOU DON'T NEED TO DO IT AGAIN, COME BACK!

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:17 am

Awesome!

It's not often Ears has to be held back, but I'm glad he was. Good on ya, MM.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

onsokumaru
Remains Silent

Post by onsokumaru » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:32 am

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:53 am

I find the drawings a bit too tiny. Perhaps Thunt should have sliced this update in two parts, and provided bigger drawings.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:13 am

Patdragon wrote:A new comic, and the first time ever to see and post it first.
And you forgot your permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02072015/

Oh, and "shut up!"
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:16 am

My avatar approves.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:22 am

awww! I called it last update that I thought Fumbles was going to help calm things down. I'm so proud of MM!

Thac0's and Ear's facial expressions after he talks are very touching!

But I do have one question:

How the hell did BALD Minmax, who gave away all his non-combat skills really, ever learn how to manage a moustache?!?!? Our boy's got some hidden talents!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:34 am

lingrem wrote:How the hell did BALD Minmax, who gave away all his non-combat skills really, ever learn how to manage a moustache?!?!? Our boy's got some hidden talents!
His best friend was a dwarf. (Yes, I use past tense since he considers him lost.) Dwarves have an awful lot of facial hair. I expect MM to learn one or two things just by watching or talking to him.

Also, his baldness might not be a natural result, he could be shaving from time to time. It might be a detail never actually shown on screen (like pooping or sleeping, unless it is for comedic/plot purposes).

I may aswell be totally wrong, though. :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:41 am

I'm surprised he didn't trade his ability to tie fake mustaches for a +1 to dodge. Dude can't even dress himself because he put everything into combat skills and abilities.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

wutzibu
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by wutzibu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:01 am

Im so awaiting the Patreon hd images so i can see the page in all his oversized glory!

wutzibu
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by wutzibu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:02 am

also did the light switch thing stopped now that they all calmed down?

MandalorTeSiit
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MandalorTeSiit » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:12 am

wutzibu wrote:also did the light switch thing stopped now that they all calmed down?
The entire room seems suddenly well-lit. Without the... I'll call it a voicelight, I guess... there shouldn't be any light at all. What do you think? Significant, or just so we're not looking at a page of blackness?

Hadza
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Hadza

Post by Hadza » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:27 am

Tarol didn't shade the page yet, that is the reason :P
And the expression Minmax made is very similar to Rubys when he and Kin were hugging. Interesting

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:35 am

Remember how I said the last update didn't affect me emotionally? This one did better in that regard.

But I do have two problems with it: it seems weird for Thaco to say "the adventurer" rather than "Kore", given that he totally knows Minmax is like right there; and the last three panels seem really off and wrong to me, not so much that Minmax would childishly tell Fumbles to stop thanking him (Minmax being surly about "feelings and crap" makes perfect sense here), but rather that he'd sit in silence for two panels and THEN say it. That makes it seem like a non sequitur instead of a response.

Those two issues aside, I thought this was a great update.
WearsHats wrote:I'm surprised he didn't trade his ability to tie fake mustaches for a +1 to dodge. Dude can't even dress himself because he put everything into combat skills and abilities.
Herbert probably never thought that would come up. He didn't look at the chart where 79 means that the goblin decides to disguise himself as a dwarf or something, until suddenly he found himself rolling on it. Then Minmax's player was all like "Ha! In your face! Told you I didn't trade away ALL my skills!"
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:18 am

I bet Complains is going to be -really- conflicted now.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

hidesinshadows
Remains Silent

Post by hidesinshadows » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:21 am

I think the reason for the long pause before MM said anything was to illustrate a form of thought in his mind, and also the fact that he even responded means he actually took what was said and thought about it rather than just being a douche. As well as the fact that it shows that he's perhaps showing some affection and empathy for them, which he himself is trying to understand. So basically, it's just a lot of thoughts that the pause is trying to convey.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:47 am

Yay, leaning towards light hearted!
Now let's kick some dungeon boss butt and have some fun!
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:08 am

wutzibu wrote:Im so awaiting the Patreon hd images so i can see the page in all his oversized glory!
I had the same thought.
willpell wrote: it seems weird for Thaco to say "the adventurer" rather than "Kore", given that he totally knows Minmax is like right there
Maybe he said it like that precisely because Minmax was there. Minmax needed to realize that in this party, he's the monster, and unlike Kin, who had only ever helped him and Foregath, he's a monster who was trying to kill them minutes before.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

jakesdad
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: jakesdad

Post by jakesdad » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:54 am

When Thaco says "NONO", that is not a word. You either have "NO-NO" which is something that is forbidden or unsafe, or "NO. NO." which matches what Thaco is saying here.

Now that the Patreon announcement has scrolled off the bottom of the Blog and Twitter feeds, Thunt, will you be putting a graphic link on the main page? I'd imagine near the TWC link.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 am

jakesdad wrote:When Thaco says "NONO", that is not a word. You either have "NO-NO" which is something that is forbidden or unsafe, or "NO. NO." which matches what Thaco is saying here.
It's more like "Nono" with no space to emphasise it's being said quickly.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:18 am

My summary of how this looks from MM's point of view:

Panel 4: Minmax hears Kore, who (he thinks) has just killed Forgath, being described as an 'adventurer.' It's true. He himself is an adventurer. Also true. Wait, wasn't that total asshole Goblinslayer also an adventurer? These goblins are people. They grieve. They comfort each other. Shock.

Panels 5-9: The goblins start talking about Fumbles. Minmax is paying attention. He totally remembers Fumbles, there's no way he wouldn't -- "A purple worm! Have at thee, foul beast!" Back then, Senor Vorpal Kickass'o did not have MONSTER carved into his forehead, and was not the withdrawn, traumatized creature he is now. Very bad stuff has clearly befallen him. Also -- the goblins' talk makes it clear the one time he'd ever said anything was fighting Kore.

Minmax is no good at all at putting moral dilemmas into words. When he finds himself in one, he tends to cut through it with actions.

Panels 10, 12-14, 16-18: Minmax goes to sit beside Fumbles, notices something wrong that's actually fixable, fixes it. Ungraciously. The moustache is now smooth, not every-which-way. It looks better.

Panel 19: Beat. Both thinking. Fumbles symmetrically echoes MM's posture.

Panel 20: Fumbles responds. "Thank you."

Panels 22-23: Beat. Beat. Both thinking. There's a lot to think about. Their postures are still mirror images.

Panel 24: Minmax doesn't want to be thanked. "Shut up."
Last edited by Sessine on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:21 am

lingrem wrote:How the hell did BALD Minmax, who gave away all his non-combat skills really, ever learn how to manage a moustache?!?!? Our boy's got some hidden talents!
It may be part of "disguise skills", and MinMax's player may have chosen that those are too valuable to exchange for more pure combat skills. Disguise skills are really elementary in many close-to-combat situations, and may influence the "roll for initiative"...

At least, as DM, I would make it very clear to the player that I may create a situation in which he'd wish for simple disguise skills.
Not being able to dress is unhandy, but during combat not needed.
But putting over a cape or similar can still be considered disguise skills, so no dressing skills necessary for simple disguise skills.

Also, MM likely can craft weapons out of nothing, so crafting/improving Boar-hair fake moustaches can be explained that way.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Sessine wrote:Panel 19: Beat. Both thinking. Fumbles symmetrically echoes MM's posture.
Good catch. I hadn't noticed the shift in Fumbles's posture.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Sessine wrote:Panels 22-23: Beat. Beat. Both thinking. There's a lot to think about. Their postures are still mirror images.

Panel 24: Minmax doesn't want to be thanked. "Shut up."
Maybe the "shut up" was about the posture mimicking. I for one would probably find that annoying, if I managed to notice someone doing it.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.