July 24th, 2017 - Has to work...

Discuss the comic here!
Random_Short_Guy
Remains Silent

Re: July 24th, 2017 - Has to work...

Post by Random_Short_Guy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:41 am

Thank you all for giving me some hope he lives. ..

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:50 am

Augustavian wrote:The Staff of Notangle:
This staff will destroy any magical bindings, THEREBY FREEING THE WIELDER.

This sounds to me like its ability to sever magical bindings is dependent on the wielder being entangled by the bindings to be severed. That would logically follow why it cut through when Fumbles got snared that second time. Thaco and Big Ears freed themselves and BE cut down Names, Minmax and Fumbles the first snare. It should also make sense why it did nothing when he tried severing the tails of the imprints, they hadn't bound him yet.
This would also mean that it was not the staff breaking prissan, because Fumbles wasn't bound by it.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:00 am

Morgaln wrote:
Tofu wrote:Fumbles is a paladin, the axe would have passed through him and the staff harmlessly.
Um, this isn't true. He gets hit by Saral Caine on this page by the Axe. Not sure if it's because his Paladin levels are too low for the Axe to recognize his status as a Paladin or if the contact was too brief for Fumbles to get the info on the Axe like Ears. It could be because he's taking ALL the classes, the Paladin in him has stopped progressing. IIRC, you cannot take levels in anything else BUT Paladin or you have to atone (3rd Edition rules...not sure about 2nd).
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Pyrotrap
Remains Silent

Post by Pyrotrap » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 am

Sinik17 wrote:Remember the 1 on the crit window, waaay back on January 9th?

Here it comes.
I think the crit fail already happened. The LOL Pearl that caused them to get into this mess in the first place already seems like one.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 am

The LOL pearl is a plain trap, IMHO. And all of them are alive, so the saving throws have not been critical failures.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 am

Wolfie wrote:
Morgaln wrote:
Tofu wrote:Fumbles is a paladin, the axe would have passed through him and the staff harmlessly.
Um, this isn't true. He gets hit by Saral Caine on this page by the Axe. Not sure if it's because his Paladin levels are too low for the Axe to recognize his status as a Paladin or if the contact was too brief for Fumbles to get the info on the Axe like Ears. It could be because he's taking ALL the classes, the Paladin in him has stopped progressing. IIRC, you cannot take levels in anything else BUT Paladin or you have to atone (3rd Edition rules...not sure about 2nd).
Paladins are allowed to multi-calls and will retain all their paladin abilities if they do. They only thing they cannot do is increase their paladin level once they multi-class, but they still are paladins afterwards. Multiclass paladins are affected by magic items the same way a single-class paladin would (e.g. a Holy Avenger would still be +5 in their hands).
It's clear that the axe does not pass through Fumbles. There are two possible explanations that are consistent with D&D rules: 1. paladin is not one of Fumbles' 11 classes, which means at least one of his classes is not a core class. Or 2. Fumbles doesn't have 11 classes.

Matney X
Whispers Softly

Post by Matney X » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 am

Morgaln wrote:
Wolfie wrote:Um, this isn't true. He gets hit by Saral Caine on this page by the Axe. Not sure if it's because his Paladin levels are too low for the Axe to recognize his status as a Paladin or if the contact was too brief for Fumbles to get the info on the Axe like Ears. It could be because he's taking ALL the classes, the Paladin in him has stopped progressing. IIRC, you cannot take levels in anything else BUT Paladin or you have to atone (3rd Edition rules...not sure about 2nd).
Paladins are allowed to multi-calls and will retain all their paladin abilities if they do. They only thing they cannot do is increase their paladin level once they multi-class, but they still are paladins afterwards. Multiclass paladins are affected by magic items the same way a single-class paladin would (e.g. a Holy Avenger would still be +5 in their hands).
It's clear that the axe does not pass through Fumbles. There are two possible explanations that are consistent with D&D rules: 1. paladin is not one of Fumbles' 11 classes, which means at least one of his classes is not a core class. Or 2. Fumbles doesn't have 11 classes.
Or that Saral wished for the axe to harm Vorpal... Then again, he would have wished for it to harm Big Ears and that didn't go well for him at all.

My guess is 1/11th of a class isn't enough to count, as far as the axe is concerned.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:46 pm

It says "thereby freeing the wielder", but it's an unusually-phrased part of an otherwise very specific description. I'd expect it to say "It can only free the wielder, and only from magical bindings", if that were the case. As it is, the phrase only says that it can free the wielder, but whether it can free others is left open.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Everyone seems pretty fixed on the axe and the staff. I'm more interested in the pain cloak. I had forgotten about it so I went back a few pages and was reminded that it shields the wearer from taking damage although it causes them pain. I think if any magic item is going to keep him alive it's going to be that cloak!

Otherwise, another poster made a good point that 3 souls is a lot for a normal, 1/3 cr teller-candidate to take, but that Fumbles is now an adventurer. I'd wager by this point Fumbles is actually a lvl 3 adventurer after that encounter with Kore and the Flea demons. Even if he's not, I believe 1 adventure lvl = 1 cr. If that's accurate, he is at least 6 times the cr of a normal goblin teller-candidate. That should mean that 12-15 souls is actually reasonably survivable, and not at all past the potential lethal limit (with only 2-3 souls per 1/3 cr).

The party also joked not that long ago about Fumbles secretly hiding a high wisdom score. They brushed it off, but I'm pretty sure that was accurate. He has consistently been able to spot or figure out things that go right past the rest of the party, throughout the comic. Here are a few pieces of evidence that he has a higher wisdom than the rest of the group, and yet simultaneously has a low enough intelligence to handle Oblivious:
Item #1: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/02172006 / Item #2: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01162014 / Item #3: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04292015 (perception is wisdom-based). / Item #4: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04172017-2

So yeah, he definitely shows signs of a high wisdom. I think he's more like Minimax than we all realize, due to his imbalanced stats. If he doesn't survive the situation however, no one will be left to heal those who still aren't stabilized. Kore would catch up with them and finish them off, and then what -- the demon breaks free of the axe and the world will come to an end? If Fumbles doesn't make it then everyone is basically screwed. If he makes it they all actually have a "chance in Hell" at saving the world. Characters have died in this comic, but it generally helps to progress the plot-line in some way. Fumbles dying would make the story fall apart on the other hand. So ... I have faith he's going to make it through! Go team Vorpal!

(Other implications: the ability to heal Complains' arm, and heal his forehead so it no longer says "monster" on it)
Last edited by Derkins on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Derkins, very good points, even if I'm not that sure about 2-3 imprints/cr. But I think Fumbles is at least level 3, much likely even level 4.
Oh and I don't know if his intelligence is low, at least it has to be higher than that of Minmax and I think it's also higher than the one of Complains. He hasn't handled Oblivious yet, that was just a small role-play with Minmax getting outta control based on the things about hell layers and how hard it will be for Ears which Complains explained. If Fumbles would have taken Oblivious, Minmax should also have a Crown of plus a scwillion Charisma.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Good work. I think your suggestion on wisdom is right on the money.

The mechanics of what the teller spirits being incorporated into the Teller actually give, is less clear. Who knows what is developed. I think ti's going to be a perplexing but brilliant outcome though.

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:14 pm

Oh yes. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Even with weekend in sight, I can't wait for monday, or in my european based case, tuesday. God, hopefully Thunt will stay on schedule.

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Mec wrote:
redfeather wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:This however poses a problem: if Fumbles survives he will be extremely powerful compared to his companions.
Do *you* want to have a character 10 levels higher than you, with a history of catastrophically screwing up everything he does, in your party?
Probably not.

I would, however, pay money to read about *someone else's* party with a character 10 levels higher than everyone else with a history of catastrophically screwing up everything he does. That's entertainment!
I'm sure I've said this here before, but: "Your jib. I like the cut of it."

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm fully expecting a scene switch next page. Too much of a cliffhanger to not.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:34 am

Shardstorm wrote:I'm fully expecting a scene switch next page. Too much of a cliffhanger to not.
Maybe it'll cut to Forgath and crew, who hear the screams of Fumbles as the teller process goes on, and show up just in time to heal Fumbles and stabilize his spot as the best teller ever!

Or maybe Fumbles will die, but his screams brought Forgath close enough to heal everyone, so he still technically served a purpose.
But please, please no.
The point is to have fun.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:06 am

Shardstorm wrote:I'm fully expecting a scene switch next page. Too much of a cliffhanger to not.
Well, the preview is up for Patreons.

It wasn't the next page.

Could be the page after next...

Dies and Fox anyone?
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Segdae
Remains Silent

Post by Segdae » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:17 am

With the info on the staff, I'm now wondering if whatever is driving Kore in his quest to destroy all evil would be considered a magical binding.

Belzera
Mutters to Themself

Post by Belzera » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Segdae wrote:With the info on the staff, I'm now wondering if whatever is driving Kore in his quest to destroy all evil would be considered a magical binding.
Or maybe at least the Souls of the innocent bound to him?

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:28 pm

Derkins wrote: Here are a few pieces of evidence that he has a higher wisdom than the rest of the group, and yet simultaneously has a low enough intelligence to handle Oblivious
TheSedated wrote: He hasn't handled Oblivious yet

Sorry I didn't back up that statement. Here you go -- in this scene Fumbles briefly handles a copy of Oblivious: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/11242016-2

I assumed that it's a decent confirmation Fumbles as low Int. His terrible/adorable mustache disguise, and total lack of a plan for breaking into brassmoon city and returning the doll to the elf girl are a couple other things that suggest he has a low Int., as well. We know his companions think he's kinda "not all there," anyway. As I said before though, he seems to have an incredibly high wisdom to balance it out. I am just guessing about all of this though. Or reading into what might be hints that Thunt has left for us. :)

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Derkins wrote:
Derkins wrote: Here are a few pieces of evidence that he has a higher wisdom than the rest of the group, and yet simultaneously has a low enough intelligence to handle Oblivious

Sorry I didn't back up that statement. Here you go -- in this scene Fumbles briefly handles a copy of Oblivious: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/11242016-2

I assumed that it's a decent confirmation Fumbles as low Int. His terrible/adorable mustache disguise, and total lack of a plan for breaking into brassmoon city and returning the doll to the elf girl are a couple other things that suggest he has a low Int., as well. We know his companions think he's kinda "not all there," anyway. As I said before though, he seems to have an incredibly high wisdom to balance it out. I am just guessing about all of this though. Or reading into what might be hints that Thunt has left for us. :)

He isn't actually handling Oblivious or a copy of it. That is just the two of them role playing because they were bored with the discussion. So it was two role players role playing that their characters were role playing.

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Derkins wrote:

Derkins, what Hjerne said. That's what I mean with role-play getting outta control. That page took me also a moment to realise what's going on. If you look at it, Minmax and Fumbles are about to go further and both draw Oblivious. But right after the argument that Fumbles can't draw Oblivious and Minmax has no Crown of a Scwillion Charisma, they sit on the floor, playing with that stone and the other thing with the fake moustache on it.

For Fumbles I'd say he's got very low dexterity, sub-par strength, a mediocre constitution, high wisdom, low charisma (hence the children of Brassmoon running away from him when he asks them for that elven girl which lost her doll. Children are easier to scare, but are a bit more open for new things/people in their surroundings, especially when that thing comes to them with a doll and without some aggressive gestures) and at least mediocre intelligence. Yes, he's quite a bit childish (I guess young age, the youngest of the group), but he's got good ideas, can think out-of-the-box. His alter ego Vorpal fits in this scheme. He tries to overcome his low dexterity (the reason why he's fumbling so hard) with his DnD-character Vorpal. While it's a childish attempt, it's not that stupid to try something like that, when the concept of character sheets is known to them. Keep in mind that they already have something like a character sheet, which they don't know about (beside some basic information, like their challenge rating). Also I don't think that solving the riddle at the entrace to the dungeon they're in was a wisdom-based check. His kind-of camouflage in Brassmoon and the way he went into it (hidden under a wagon) also speaks for his intelligence. And, another big thing... to make a viable character with so many classes and therefore so many skills, you need high intelligence. He may be very a veeeery special character, but he's far from stupid.

Afraidofdarkness
Remains Silent

Post by Afraidofdarkness » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Fumbles is a Geniuss

Afraidofdarkness
Remains Silent

Post by Afraidofdarkness » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:52 pm

my guess is wis 18 maybe even 20+, int like 16

Augustavian
Remains Silent

Post by Augustavian » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:50 am

Derkins wrote:Everyone seems pretty fixed on the axe and the staff. I'm more interested in the pain cloak. I had forgotten about it so I went back a few pages and was reminded that it shields the wearer from taking damage although it causes them pain.
I thought this too, but someone already mentioned it, and reminded us that it only makes the wearer immune to physical damage, what those imprints are doing is magical for sure, so we moved on to why the staff didn't sever the imprints bindings.

Addressing the idea that Forgath might make his way through this dungeon upon somehow hearing Fumbles screams...remember Kore is in his way, so the temperamental klik whose name I've forgotten Idle Bowst and he would have to put Kore down before Forgath could do any healing of downed goblins, or a currently frying Fumbles.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:34 am

Derkins wrote:I'm more interested in the pain cloak.
I had the same thought, but Thunt posted an Alternate Realities card that listed this as the "Shadowfire Cloak", so it's apparently not the pain cloak.