Take aim... 20/3/18

Discuss the comic here!
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:50 am

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to correct you, I hope I didn't come across anal or patronizing. I just wanted to help, add to your your "collection" of spells cast by Kore. :)
(I don't remember any other times he cast magic, either, so I don't know if it is complete now, or if I just forgot about some other occasion(s)...)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:20 am

Setting facts straight should never be something to apologize for, especially since it was Glemp who pointless said the same a second time.

The complete list thus far:

Lay on Hands (on Chief)
Holy Sword (against Complains)
Lay on Hands (on self)
Remove Paralysis (on self, against Forgath)
Cure Heavy Wounds probably (after the bridge fight, while we weren't looking)
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:22 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to correct you, I hope I didn't come across anal or patronizing. I just wanted help, add to your your "collection" of spells cast by Kore. :)
(I don't remember any other times he cast magic, either, so I don't know if it is complete now, or if I just forgot about some other occasion(s)...)
I thank You for correcting me.
My memory failed me, and it's good someone could add to the collection..
I also did not mean o come over sarcastic or similar, I meant what I wrote literally.
I was corrected.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Setting facts straight should never be something to apologize for, especially since it was Glemp who pointless said the same a second time.
Why do you have to throw pointless attacks at other Goblins fans out there? Do you seriously think I posted the exact same criticism of Krulle just to spite them, or is it more likely that it took a while to find the correct page and I didn't notice someone else had pointed it out already?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:46 am

What attack? You either ignored Gathers having already posted, or ignored the intercepting notification that he posted while you were typing. I meant to assure Gathers that by no sane metric did he do anything wrong. The context of Gathers' nonsense apology suggests wrongdoing on your part as well, but to imply as much myself was not my intention.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Both meant well, and I thank both for correcting me.
I often load all new threads (in different tabs), and it takes me a while to read them all.
So sometimes someone answers before I even start posting....
The SMF forum software warns me if that happens, but phpBB does not. Goblinsforum uses phpBB.

I think this topic has been exhausted and can be drapped. Thank you.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Psst, children. :meh:

No harm was meant by the post of Glemp and Gathers meant no disrespect when pointing out the error Krulle made. He has, several times IIRC, that he has horrible memory.

(And, case in point, I was beat to the punch by Krulle....)

And now.. back to our regular discussions...
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Krulle wrote:That was fast.
I stand corrected.
Kore did cast magic on the bridge.
That one was like the second last update before Thunt had his breakdown if I remember right

I dunno about anyone else, but I looked at those last few pages a lot over that hiatus, the remove paralysis one really sticks in the mind

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 pm

:shock:
Rofl. You're absolutely right. When I started writing it, I was thinking "Back when she had her wing, she would have probably blahblah......but now she doesn't"
And then I completely forgot that when it came to thinking the wing was there and therefore would be an insult to Kore.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:34 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Setting facts straight should never be something to apologize for, especially since it was Glemp who pointless said the same a second time.

Lay on Hands (on Chief)
Lay on Hands (on self)
I'm being pedantic here but Lay on Hands is actually an innate ability not a spell. I know it doesn't really matter but like I said... pedantic.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 am

I would surely be unwelcome to not embrace the pedantry of others. Do tell, what are the advantages and limitations of an innate ability compared to a spell?

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 pm

Spells are available to those classes that are able to cast them; How many spells a character can cast depends on their class level and the requisite attribute: wisdom for divine casters (clerics, paladins, druids, rangers) intelligence for wizards and charisma for bards and sorcerers. What spells a character is able to cast depends on the spell list for their class, which can be quite extensive. Divine casters automatically have access to all spells on their spell list; arcane casters need to learn them, so they only have a selection (mostly of their own choice) available. However, just because a character has access to spell doesn't mean they can just cast it. Spells need to be prepared, i. e. every day a caster needs to decide ahead of time what spells he wants to have available. Spells have levels and a character can only prepare a certain number of spells of a specific level (the higher the level, they less spells of that level). They can prepare the same spell several times if they so choose, but each of them takes up a slot, making them less flexible in the choices they have available for that day. Spells also need components, i. e. words, gestures and/or physical items that are required to channel the power used to create the spell effect. Without those components, a spell cannot be cast even if the character has it prepared. In addition, spells require concentration, which can be broken if they get wounded while casting.
For example, Kin's Lightning Bolt is a 3rd level spell; she needs to be at least 5th level to be able to cast it. If she is fifth level, she only has one spell of that level available (two if her intelligence is high enough). She'll also have 2(3) and 3(4) spells of level 2 and level 1, respectively. Whether those spells are actually useful depends on what she decided to prepare this morning. For example, Cause Fear would be useless against Kore, so it would be a dead slot in the current situation. Conversely, Protection from Arrows would be useful, but even if she knows the spell, it wouldn't help her any unless she also decided to prepare it for this day.

Special abilities are tied to a specific class and automatically unlocked once a character reaches a certain level in that class. They have a clearly defined limit on how often they can be used a day, which may or may not change with class levels. Many special abilities are magical in nature, but they never require prerequisites like spells do (i. e. you don't have to chant words or use material components to use them). That includes spell-like abilities that have the same name and effect as regular spells, like a paladin's Detect Evil ability. Although it works exactly like the Detect Evil spell available to casters, it doesn't need any components, doesn't need to be prepared and can be used unlimited times. There is no choice involved in gaining special abilities; you either have them or don't have them, and they automatically refresh after you rest. Almost every class has special abilities available; one example we've seen is the barbarian's rage, which isn't magical at all.

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:26 pm

To carry on in this line of thinking, 3x compounds this a little further still. Special abilities belong to one of three different classifications. Not-super-relevant-but-maybe-interesting here is that Lay on Hands is Supernatural. Unlike normal spellcasting, supernatural abilities don't provoke opportunity attacks when used in melee range, and they are not interrupted by taking damage. So from a meta/tactical level, in D&D, a good technique for an archer (especially at low levels) can be to ready an action to shoot a caster when they begin a spell. This allows the archer to still make their attack for the turn and do damage, but also have a decent chance of stopping the spell from happening. You can't do that against Kore's Lay on Hands.

qTzal
Mutters to Themself

Re: Take aim... 20 March '18

Post by qTzal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Krulle wrote:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:To those of you who are emotionally exhausted from worrying that the creatures I draw might be killed off, I offer you this adorable puppy. I promise that I will never, ever kill off this puppy. You may safely put all your faith in this puppy without fear of heartbreak.
Why, why, oh why does this not console my fears?
Ok, I guess that it is time for another bout of Insane Prophecy Speculation.

So we all remember this from the prophetic wall:
"When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate."

Between this and this recent unspecified character death tease from Thunt it got me thinking:
What IF Kore died here, either in the pit or from an attack by Kin?
Would his demonic "task" or curse or whatever latch on to Kin?

If Kin dies the serpent cannot become the prey; if Kore dies the demonic threat continues to exist even if his curse dies with him.
If that curse (or whatever) passes on to Kin AND she meets up with Minmax a problem occurs.

Minmax and the GAP have nominally become friends, at least in a temporary tactical sense. When they all see Kin their reactions will be different.
If Kin had somehow been "taken over" by that demonic presence she would become the enemy very quickly. Who knows who would be attacking who but allegiances would be changing quickly; probably every round; especially if other characters show up every round in a comedic "WTF is this all now!?!?" manner.

Kinda like a bloody Benny Hill chase scene by Quentin Tarantino.

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:58 am

qTzal wrote: Would his demonic "task" or curse or whatever latch on to Kin?
I'm thinking that's probably not what's going to happen, if I'm being honest. You'd think for one, there would be stories about that, right? And Kore has always been a dwarf, hasn't he? Unless it would turn Kin into a dwarf, but that's kinda... weird.

And second, how would that work for the rest of the story? I think that would actually push more toward a happy ending, in fact, because then they can't kill Kin without just spreading the curse to the next person, and so the only way to solve that would be to remove the curse somehow, which would--hopefully--heal Kin.
So that seems like too happy of an ending for the prophecy, even though it sort of seems to fit.
The point is to have fun.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:51 pm

BookWyrm17 wrote:
qTzal wrote: Would his demonic "task" or curse or whatever latch on to Kin?
I'm thinking that's probably not what's going to happen, if I'm being honest. You'd think for one, there would be stories about that, right? And Kore has always been a dwarf, hasn't he? Unless it would turn Kin into a dwarf, but that's kinda... weird.

And second, how would that work for the rest of the story? I think that would actually push more toward a happy ending, in fact, because then they can't kill Kin without just spreading the curse to the next person, and so the only way to solve that would be to remove the curse somehow, which would--hopefully--heal Kin.
So that seems like too happy of an ending for the prophecy, even though it sort of seems to fit.
I doesn't necessarily have to push towards a happy ending. If the curse latches onto whoever killed Kin, the easy solution is for Kin to kill herself. Probably by trying to take off the leash and have it explode.
That said, I don't expect the curse to pass to someone else, either.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 am

Hjerne wrote:

Lay on Hands (on Chief)
Lay on Hands (on self)
I'm being pedantic here but Lay on Hands is actually an innate ability not a spell. I know it doesn't really matter but like I said... pedantic.
I'm actually glad you pointed it out, because I couldn't remember if that was the case, and I was going to ask.