Take aim... 20/3/18

Discuss the comic here!
Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Jon Snow » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:44 pm

http://goblinscomic.com/comics/1521515508-Page6.jpg

Looks like she's slithering around to maybe get the bridge to turn all green before Kore notices?

Gurkenglas
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Gurkenglas » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Where are the corresponding white FWAOKs as Kore becomes closest to the opposite shapes?

Scoshan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Scoshan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:50 pm

So I figure Kore's about to go down the hole... and Parchment is helping.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:54 pm

I was hoping she was slithering around in the mist escaping, and the end result being his IME mist propagating through the room and making the floor drop. I do find perspective hard to follow in this comic sometimes, but I think you're right. The first FWAOK (side note, expected that to be the name of the thread) looks to happen to the right in panel 5, the head turn and body angle giving it away, and hence can't have been caused by Parchment leaving it's symbol, as you can see it on the left in that panel. The IME colour showing on the FWAOK noises also indicate that it's Kin changing the colours.

Is it possible she's using gusts of wind to move the fog around to create distractions for either an escape or advantageous engage?
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Is Kore is doing his bullshit turtle flip thing from the Forgath fight in the top three panels?

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Yeah, I assumed so. I didn't really follow how that physically worked the first time though, but I just take it as his 'thing' and don't worry about it.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:35 pm

This was visually confusing to me. Thanks for the explanations, guys.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:25 am

Is that paper dragon thing hopping from symbol to symbol? He's in panel 5. Would it touching them even matter?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Take aim... 20 March '18

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 am

Gurkenglas wrote:Where are the corresponding white FWAOKs as Kore becomes closest to the opposite shapes?
The first one is Parchment moving, and his coloured tile became Kins.
Shardstorm wrote:Is it possible she's using gusts of wind to move the fog around to create distractions for either an escape or advantageous engage?
Yes, I do think so. With her tail she should be able to do quite a bit of that hidden within the fogs.
Xavier78 wrote:Is that paper dragon thing hopping from symbol to symbol? He's in panel 5. Would it touching them even matter?
I think Parchment just left his hiding spot. He does not seem to be hopping to a new symbol, just moving somewhere else, undisclosed as of now.
And yes, Parchment touching the tiles did matter.
In this tile we see the colour draining away from the tile he hid on, and two pages before (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-4-2018) he hid in panel one on the left side, colouring the tile in his colour.

So, Kin is starting to flee, and leaving the colouring for Kore.
But she seems to be fleeing forward (or it are just gusts of wind).
Which may mean that not all her tiles turn white in time for the floor to disappear below Kore.
Because Kore has acquired a target, and he never stops before having killed his current target.
So he'll follow her, leaving her first tiles green.

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:To those of you who are emotionally exhausted from worrying that the creatures I draw might be killed off, I offer you this adorable puppy. I promise that I will never, ever kill off this puppy. You may safely put all your faith in this puppy without fear of heartbreak.
Why, why, oh why does this not console my fears?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

prophecynine
Remains Silent

Post by prophecynine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:00 am

Things are really heating up :) Can someone remind me of the first appearance of parchment? I've done some searching around but haven't gotten anywhere.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:27 am

http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.p ... nt#p246448
was the first post using the name on this forum.

First appearance of Parchment: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/whynot
edit: discussion of the "whynot" page: http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1796

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:45 am

The puppy is kind of cute, but unless there is more than a mere pic of it, I don't think I'll get emotionally invested. :P :roll:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 am

Shardstorm wrote:Yeah, I assumed so. I didn't really follow how that physically worked the first time though, but I just take it as his 'thing' and don't worry about it.
I kinda recall Thunt talking about it--I think it was the live feed--and the upshot of it was that it wasn't realistic physics.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 am

BTW, this tweet came before the current page, but I held it back from the previous discussion thread, as I did not know if there are spoiler-relevant material inside:
Well, it wasn't that relevant to todays page, but still. Shows how much effort is put into the chains.

But drawing this many detailed chain elements seems to be meditative for Thunt.

blueeyeddragon
Remains Silent

Post by blueeyeddragon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:19 am

I have a more worrying interpretation. Kin went invisible while Kore was on his back and is trying to get past him, but her IME is not covered by the invisibility and is still triggering the wall panels. Kore is working this out and next page will see him shooting where he knows she is.

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:10 am

If kinÔÇÖs Smart... and we know she is... sheÔÇÖll probably be stretching herself out under the fog to give a false impression of where she is. When Kore takes the bait, heÔÇÖll likely get zapped again and sheÔÇÖll make her escape. Maybe sheÔÇÖll pull parchment on her way. Kore wouldnÔÇÖt be capable of keeping up and heÔÇÖll fall into the pit. Tho, thereÔÇÖs no guarantee that heÔÇÖll die.

Then maybe Kin will be his new target just as minmax became the new target before her.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am

This is the type of update that makes me want to take a break from the comic for a few updates. Not that I'm wary of the comic, but because I'm eager to see what happens next and I'd rather binge read it all at once than slow crawl. This is exciting! ... where's the rest of it?
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 am

I think it's about time we switch back to Dies and Fox, don't you?
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

MinesData
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MinesData » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am

blueeyeddragon wrote:I have a more worrying interpretation. Kin went invisible while Kore was on his back and is trying to get past him, but her IME is not covered by the invisibility and is still triggering the wall panels. Kore is working this out and next page will see him shooting where he knows she is.
As long as he can't see her due to the fog, that should count as total concealment (50% miss chance IF he guesses the correct square he attacks). That's likely good enough for her to escape with her HP (minimum of 12 HD and a good Con boost). Every round he's standing trying to work out where she is, she should be getting further away.

Kin might be trying to take advantage of the environment to try and whittle him down by playing out hit and run tactics. I think this would likely be a mistake as I suspect she doesn't have enough damage spells to take his HP down to 0 (especially as he has access to healing) although it would set up a chance to put her in peril if she makes a mistake from a writing point of view. It's the sort of mistake she could make. Taking a few chances to beat his save with things like "Suggestion: This room is dangerous and you should retrace your steps back to the beginning of the dungeon and rest there" might work (and take him hours to complete).

I still think her best course of action is to get away as quickly as possible, leaving Kore to fall into the pit. The fall is unlikely to be fatal to him but certainly inconvenient (barring retractable spikes in his boots which allow him to walk up walls).

The whole knockdown and standing back up thing was more for drama that playing out the rules and was a hand-wavy way of allowing Kin to retreat into the fog.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:28 am

Kore is bound to have some way of climbing out of a pit. As slow as he is, he has surely fallen before.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:35 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:I think it's about time we switch back to Dies and Fox, don't you?
I'm not sure if I should :lol: or :stab:

:P
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 am

blueeyeddragon wrote:I have a more worrying interpretation. Kin went invisible while Kore was on his back and is trying to get past him, but her IME is not covered by the invisibility and is still triggering the wall panels. Kore is working this out and next page will see him shooting where he knows she is.
Why would she be trying to get past him? The only reason she ventured out over the pit was that she still thought Minmax might have come this way. After the conversation with Kore, she should be able to work out that this is very unlikely: Kore said he was specifically hunting for Minmax, and he had not met him. She needs to get back to the doors, and she knows she can't do that by herself... she can't move fast enough. Her only chance is to lure Kore to follow her back across the pit.

Maybe he'll fall in, maybe he won't. But this is a pit she can't traverse alone. She needs him to follow.
► Show Spoiler

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:44 am

Sessine wrote:
Why would she be trying to get past him? The only reason she ventured out over the pit was that she still thought Minmax might have come this way. After the conversation with Kore, she should be able to work out that this is very unlikely: Kore said he was specifically hunting for Minmax, and he had not met him. She needs to get back to the doors, and she knows she can't do that by herself... she can't move fast enough. Her only chance is to lure Kore to follow her back across the pit.

Maybe he'll fall in, maybe he won't. But this is a pit she can't traverse alone. She needs him to follow.

I agree. Hide under the fog, go to first door, pop up, say bye, leave. Kore will follow and fall.

He likely knows feather fall though, since falling is one of his biggest weaknesses.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:04 pm

I don't fallow your logic. The symbols between her and the exit are already green and the opposite half should remain white no matter what. Then of course there's Parchment to ensure one symbol remains beige until the time is right. The stated rule is that there must be at least 2 colors in the room, and there's no way that'll fail as long as both Kore and Kin are there. As she slithers away, Kore's IME will chase her, but there's nothing to suggest that it'll be faster. Kore will no doubt pursue, but the only advantage to do so will be the slim chance at giving her a bolt to the back and hearing her taunt as he inevitably falls.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Krulle wrote:BTW, this tweet came before the current page, but I held it back from the previous discussion thread, as I did not know if there are spoiler-relevant material inside:
It looks to me like a view from the top, perhaps meaning Kore will indeed be falling into the pit soon.
But that's just my opinion.