05 November 2018: Whew

Discuss the comic here!
Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Re: 05 November 2018: Whew

Post by Shardstorm » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Go read the part with the pit monster again. The direct story reason was to set up threat, establish how bad things are getting with the hellscape, and show Bowst feeling like no one cares for him. For what it's establishing in the future, we'll see as the comic is revealed. My tip though, nothing. The thing they are fighting now is a Klik. It says "Klik". There's no rug to be pulled here.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:22 am

Was it to set up threat and how bad things are getting with the hellscape? Goblins and Minmax just fought flea demons and had Fumbles explode with premonition. The world is falling apart and team Sidetrack even commented on this. We, the readers, know what the big problem is. The world is falling apart and Bigears is going to go down and take a shit on the devils couch. Even Forgath seems to know this and expresses how he wants to go back.

Regarding the pit monster: Imagine you just cut the part with the badger and the pitmonster out completely. Would you know a difference? The story goes from "Oh Maxo. I'm so sorry" to "Senior HealMaxo!" without stopping for mud and pitmonster. Would you notice something amiss? Forgath still knows he needs to go back. Bowst and Ward are argumentative. We know the world is falling apart and monsters appearing. The B-team is still going for the same objective.
Alright. It does builds a tension with Bowst and Ward. At least I ask myself if something is going to clash between those. This I like. I like to see what makes Ward tick. On the other hand it also urges Forgath back to the story that actually matters. It urges me to go back to the story that matters. Even the panels are bleeding telling me what story matters. It makes me wonder why we're reading this arc.

I guess I want the Klik to be demonic just to tie things together. If it's not demonic, then what is this all about? We are watching someone who went out to fight a warped Klik fight a warped Klik while Forgath is sitting around and watching it.

Regarding this side story overall: I don't really care about Bowst. He even told us he is a standin for MinMax. Him living or dying does not matter to me. He appeared wanting to fight a Klik and now he is fighting a Klik. Good for him.
We can have Forgath come to terms with his own death this way. Idle will die (because, seriously. If she does not die after all this then what would have been the point to her curse?) and Forgath will be wiser and ready to face his death. In particular after the nice little scene with him and Idle chatting about death. That was nice.

Oh... Wait... Forgath threw himself off a bridge... I guess he is on terms with dying.

So. What do I think? Do I want him to become infected and twisted? We... Kinda already have that character. We have Junior and Kore. We have Complains. But it is a way forward. Forgath should have died fighting Kore. Everything about that scene told us this is it: "He is dying". He did not. Here is a monster that can infect him and twist him, fighting two characters who are not tied to anything or impact anything besides fighting this monster.
What I think would be the best outcome: Idle dies. Permanently. Bowst goes with an infected Forgath back to the Goblins and MinMax and him can compare character sheets with one another.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Generic wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:43 amTL;DR: Conflict resolved.
For all my intolerance for miscommunication, I definitely appreciate your apology and a promise for more careful wording is exactly what I needed to hear. Sorry for all the accusatory behavior, when I should have at least considered that you were just being really sloppy and even confessed as much prior to my previous post. And although I stand by my inferring of it, I also might need to flex my definition of "does this thing". Our only disagreement now seems to be that you think Forgath was "talking philosophy" to Y&B when all he did was reject the burden of having to do so; I guess that falls into "sure, whatever" territory.

Also thanks for digging up the klik species description, which had informed my understanding even though I forgot it was posted.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:55 pm

I am not overly confident in english. For various reasons, I don't have much time to posts in these forums, and I often do other things simultaneously. Because that is when I have time. It'll get sloppy from time to time. It's sad to think that I am to rambling for people to care to read my posts though. I'll manage that by being more focused per post hence-twoth.

That being said. This is a forum. If you don't tolerate miscommunication, asking goes a long way. It sure beats extrapolating things on ones own. Communication is after all a process of message, coding, transmission, decoding, and interpretation made more solid by feedback. If you think that the decoding and interpretation on your side yields wierd results, try feedback. It's not an article or a formal mail, so people will spend less effort on it. But the advantage is that the authors are right here. They can be asked what they mean. Straight from the horses mouth and all that. (Seriously, what is with that expression? Horse? Alright, cut rambling, stay on topic.)

I am fine with accusatory behavior if you think I am wrong. If I behave badly, tell me what I did wrong. Just try not-miscommunication for a bit to make sure that I not more sloppy than I am an ass. In particular if it's a sentence or two with loose wording you react to.

On topic: I don't remember that definition of the Klik coming anywhere in story though. I don't think anyone mentions it. It might have been in a splash-screen or in a blog posts. While looking for it I found that Ward told the adventurers that Buzz would not be considered "dead" before turning to dust. I forgot about that. I wonder if Forgath forgot about it to before waltzing up to the creature. It was surely messed up, but in no way looked like a "dust or fine powder" (I am quoting from memory since the comic is not responding to my browser at this moment). Forgath is usually quite reliable in these kinds of things.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Here you go. So the victory-state is to damage Buzz until it turns to dust, and Ward or Salt can then restore the dust into a non-infected klik -provided Ward is telling the truth.

As for the significance of the pit-monster, around when that encounter was finished, I suggested it should have been combined with the "sick rocks" scene. Not only is it possible to include all story-contributions from both moments in a single scene, but it would be excellent monster design to have all those green tendrils both weapon-ise the rocks and be source of their illness.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:55 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 pm As for the significance of the pit-monster, around when that encounter was finished, I suggested it should have been combined with the "sick rocks" scene. Not only is it possible to include all story-contributions from both moments in a single scene, but it would be excellent monster design to have all those green tendrils both weapon-ise the rocks and be source of their illness.
That would have been a nice thing to do, yeah. I thought the pit monster could very well have replaced the second flea demon battle the goblins and minmax was having.