That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight.. (May 27, 2019)

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight.. (May 27, 2019)

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Bapuvitttssf wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:09 amMaybe they are slightly annoyed after they felt all the way down due to him fumbling on the crystal stairs?
Not an out-of-nowhere line of thinking, but it's completely out-of-character for this group and wildly impractical given they're all used to his frequent fumbles. If it were so, we'd get vindictive side-eye looks from the others while they pretend to ignore him. This is a fine time to presume foolishness over malicious intent; they're so dead-set on the expectation of Fumbles not being worth their notice that they're a far cry from giving him the respectful attention that he now commands as teller.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:33 am Hopefully there is a way the golem can be commanded beyond just mirroring Fumbles movements, otherwise walking through doorways is going to be problematic...
Walking at all is going to be a problem. The golem's stride is much larger than Fumble's stride. If they are standing side by side, and both take a step, the golem will be a good deal in front of Fumbles.

I can't imagine any easy solution, given the current "copy what the helmet wearer does" mode.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:51 pm

Just a thought - it seems likely that Kore was in fact NOT killed. Unless he drowned. Doubt it, he no doubt has "breath under water equipment or spell.".

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:20 pm

rwstyles wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:51 pm Just a thought - it seems likely that Kore was in fact NOT killed. Unless he drowned. Doubt it, he no doubt has "breath under water equipment or spell.".
Re: Kore
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:12 am

rwstyles wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:51 pm Just a thought - it seems likely that Kore was in fact NOT killed. Unless he drowned. Doubt it, he no doubt has "breath under water equipment or spell.".
Yeah. He'll return as Kore the White soon.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:59 pm
Bapuvitttssf wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:09 amMaybe they are slightly annoyed after they felt all the way down due to him fumbling on the crystal stairs?
Not an out-of-nowhere line of thinking, but it's completely out-of-character for this group and wildly impractical given they're all used to his frequent fumbles. If it were so, we'd get vindictive side-eye looks from the others while they pretend to ignore him. This is a fine time to presume foolishness over malicious intent; they're so dead-set on the expectation of Fumbles not being worth their notice that they're a far cry from giving him the respectful attention that he now commands as teller.
I think they are just a bit out of character to serve the plot. I think Thunt wanted to show the process of Fumbles putting the helmet on, and added some banter from the others to lively up the scene.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:28 am

(I'm just wondering nobody on the forums mentioned this, I stole the image from Duke Garland's twitter, image linked)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 am

Krulle wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:28 am
► Show Spoiler
(I'm just wondering nobody on the forums mentioned this, I stole the image from Duke Garland's twitter, image linked)
[Edit to quote from Generic: I spoiler-tagged the image.]

Golem has Golem sign on forehead. This is kind of what I expect of Golems. ;)

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Generic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 am
BuildsLegos wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:59 pm
I think they are just a bit out of character to serve the plot. I think Thunt wanted to show the process of Fumbles putting the helmet on, and added some banter from the others to lively up the scene.
They're providing background noise because they are background characters; and not just to this page but to the whole plot ever since they escaped from Brassmoon City. Since then, the story has revolved around Minmax as our prime protagonist. Other characters only matter in how they relate to him.

Thaco's story arc ended with his victory over GoblinSlayer. After that, he just tagged along with no purpose. He's not even interacting with anyone in a meaningful way. From a narrative point of view, it should have been him who died on the bridge, not Chief.
Big Ears purpose is the carrier of the McGuffin. Only that McGuffin has nothing to do with Minmax' story and so it has been dropped like a hot coal, even though the danger and urgency behind it should supercede everything else.
Complains never had a story to begin with. He was, and is, just there to be contrary, about everyone and everything. He's supposed to be a foil to Minmax, but he's so one-dimensional, it doesn't really do anything.

Fumbles, on the other hand, has taken over the position as "monster Minmax builds a relationship with" from Kin. Thus, he has been moved to the forefront of the story, with much of it revolving around him and his relation to Minmax.

If you look at what has happened ever since the bridge, Fumbles and Minmax are the only ones ever driving the story forward:
It's Fumbles who decides to go back to help Chief and attack Kore.
It's Fumbles who solves the riddle of the door.
It's Fumbles who triggers the rope trap.
It's Minmax who chooses the golem's door.
It's Minmax who triggers the fight that destroys the axe.
It's Fumbles who has the idea to turn someone into the teller.
It's Fumbles who becomes the teller.
It's Minmax who saves Fumbles during the ritual.
It's Minmax who wants to save Kin and Fumbles is the only one who supports him.
It's Fumbles who triggers the glass stair trap.
It's Fumbles who tries on the golem helmet.

The other goblins help dealing with the effects, but they're never doing anything out of their own volition. They're just kinda there and talking a lot.
If I thought Hunt capable of that kind of sophistication, I'd take this as meta-commentary on players who try to plan ahead as opposed to those who just charge head-on into everything without thinking of what might happen.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Morgaln wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:17 pm
Generic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 am
BuildsLegos wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:59 pm Not an out-of-nowhere line of thinking, but it's completely out-of-character for this group and wildly impractical given they're all used to his frequent fumbles. If it were so, we'd get vindictive side-eye looks from the others while they pretend to ignore him. This is a fine time to presume foolishness over malicious intent; they're so dead-set on the expectation of Fumbles not being worth their notice that they're a far cry from giving him the respectful attention that he now commands as teller.
They're providing background noise because they are background characters; and not just to this page but to the whole plot ever since they escaped from Brassmoon City. Since then, the story has revolved around Minmax as our prime protagonist. Other characters only matter in how they relate to him.

Thaco's story arc ended with his victory over GoblinSlayer. After that, he just tagged along with no purpose. He's not even interacting with anyone in a meaningful way. From a narrative point of view, it should have been him who died on the bridge, not Chief.
Big Ears purpose is the carrier of the McGuffin. Only that McGuffin has nothing to do with Minmax' story and so it has been dropped like a hot coal, even though the danger and urgency behind it should supercede everything else.
Complains never had a story to begin with. He was, and is, just there to be contrary, about everyone and everything. He's supposed to be a foil to Minmax, but he's so one-dimensional, it doesn't really do anything.

Fumbles, on the other hand, has taken over the position as "monster Minmax builds a relationship with" from Kin. Thus, he has been moved to the forefront of the story, with much of it revolving around him and his relation to Minmax.

If you look at what has happened ever since the bridge, Fumbles and Minmax are the only ones ever driving the story forward:
It's Fumbles who decides to go back to help Chief and attack Kore.
It's Fumbles who solves the riddle of the door.
It's Fumbles who triggers the rope trap.
It's Minmax who chooses the golem's door.
It's Minmax who triggers the fight that destroys the axe.
It's Fumbles who has the idea to turn someone into the teller.
It's Fumbles who becomes the teller.
It's Minmax who saves Fumbles during the ritual.
It's Minmax who wants to save Kin and Fumbles is the only one who supports him.
It's Fumbles who triggers the glass stair trap.
It's Fumbles who tries on the golem helmet.

The other goblins help dealing with the effects, but they're never doing anything out of their own volition. They're just kinda there and talking a lot.
If I thought Hunt capable of that kind of sophistication, I'd take this as meta-commentary on players who try to plan ahead as opposed to those who just charge head-on into everything without thinking of what might happen.
I agree fully with you. I think the sad part about Chiefs death is that we never got a proper substitute for him. We got Fumbles moved to the forefront, but he is not very interesting compared to Chief.

Minmax is the focus and protagonist so much that he even got a replacement during Forgath's... Whatever happened after Forgaths death at the hands of Kore. When complains of names turned into a Klick and there was an elven bunnygirl who turned out to be a dwarf? And they wandered around a hellish dreamscape looking for a giant Klick to fight? Then.

My wife,who I think left the comic around the maze of many, looked over my shoulder.
"Oh. Has MinMax grown hair now?"

Granted. MinMax did not do very much in that chapter, more than to moan over how nobody paid any attention to him (and to silently suffer soul crushing pain of death sexual abuse).

Once we even cut away from a frantic chase with the eponymous goblins to spend a few years on a story arc with MinMax.

I don't care much about the GAP. Fumbles is dorky and injected into most everything of importance that is happening. And the rest don't really do anything and are boring. I liked Forgath, but once he was no longer a straightman to MinMax he kinda became-... I dunno. Something else. And his plotline is not related to MinMax or the McGuffin anymore, even though he himself commented on that it should be.
I wish to see more of Kin. Kin and Chief had a thing going on there that I wish would have been explored. But now Chief is dead and Kins love for MinMax "even transcends oblivion itself".

Good thing the GAP and MinMax got separated so Kin and Fumbles don't need to duke it about about who gets to be monster buddy to MinMax.