Discuss the comic here!
Cerezoss
Remains Silent

26 Sept 2019: Speak with them

Post by Cerezoss » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:55 pm

New comic is up:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-22-2019

Did I do okay? It's my first time posting. :lol:

I was expecting quite a scene, but I didn't quite so much expect this! Very satisfying to see Kore with his back against the wall like this (for now), so to speak.

I'm really excited to see Chief again after all this time!

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: 26-09-2019: Speak with them

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:19 pm

I wonder what he will tell them. If he is alienated by the changes they have gone through (complains being part demon is certainly something that would stagger me a bit, in Chief's place) and reacts to that in some way, or if he can give them some useful pointers about Kore, of if he simply tells them to not feel bad about his death.

And I think you did pretty great. Perma-link is there and a fitting title, too. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

26-Sep-2019: Speak with them

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:25 pm

indeed, all rules fullfilled, except the month-by-letters (to avoid US confusion who do mm-dd-yy, while many others do dd-mm-yy...). But it's not as if 26 is unclear regarding being a day or a month. :)

I want walls of text with the next update(s)!
I want Chief to tell them all!About Kore! About the reality breakdown! About afterlife! About their choice of teller! About Kore's path to their village and him killing Y&B, Taps, ...!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:36 pm

Kore's head got ripped in half and he's still talking. I don't think it was hyperbole when he said a couple of pages ago that he can't be killed.

Thing is, the golem timer is going to run out while they're still boggling.

Still, it's really good to see Chief, even as a ghost. It's been a while, even if it's been less than a day for the GAP.

I wonder how long before we switch scenes...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 pm

:shock: I didn't see that coming. Poor Chief. He looks pained. I really can't wait to find out how Kore isn't evil.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Dang, too slow to make the thread. I would have given the title "A total rip-off" because I like puns, but meh.

This turn of events is... interesting, none the less. We saw him using those nuggets when he spoke to Y&B, but then I thought it is good for the "other" spirits to talk with. But these last panels show Kore is fully aware of the spirits he "collects", and that he can summon them at will? Not only fancy visual effects of IME and disfigurations on the head... (Yeah, likely an "all you can eat" buffet for the demon upon arrival.)

In any case, Ears' control over the golem will wear off soon, I guess in the middle of the conversation. Which means no more powerful dwarf-smashing, and I'll be really unsure who would come out on top.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm

So what happens if Chief tells them that Kore is actually good and they shouldn't fight him?

Gazirra
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 26 Sept 2019: Speak with them

Post by Gazirra » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Maybe Kore's keeping them out of Hell by imprisoning them in magic jars. Plus, could Kore be a divine-derived lich of some kind?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:53 pm

How the hell is Kore still alive?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:48 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:53 pm How the hell is Kore still alive?
Elli wrote:My good people. Do you not remember when Kore got a rope literally fused through his spine/throat? It's still there. That's why he keeps saying "kk... k.. kk...". That's him choking on it. Also, he had a fiery chasm going through his head. The fact that he's alive is no biggie :)
Kore has been "alive" since the Axe of Prissan was forged. He seems to be made up entirely of the screaming faces/souls of his victims. We know he's still a paladin because he can cast "lay on hands" but at this point he seems to be more magical construct than dwarf.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Cerezoss
Remains Silent

Post by Cerezoss » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Gazirra wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:26 pm Maybe Kore's keeping them out of Hell by imprisoning them in magic jars. Plus, could Kore be a divine-derived lich of some kind?
I remember there being a Necropolitan Template in 3.5. I could imagine Kore having underwent the process of becoming one unwillingly. But now that I think about it, I don't think Kore would be able to channel Lay on Hands to heal himself anymore, since he'd be vulnerable to positive energy. A long shot, but it's out there. :lol:
Is that a pun on the literal portal to hell connected to his face? If so, bravo! If not, also bravo!

In all seriousness, it's probably got something to do with the inside of his head being replased with said portal to hell. His brain is probably... elsewhere, if it still even exists at this point. Also, he still has 1 or more hitpoints, so he's as fighting fit as ever! :D

Phlegmy
Remains Silent

Post by Phlegmy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:02 pm

I'm sure it has been discussed many a time, but that does make a lovely axe of prissan sized gateway to hell.

Plus sort of verifies hp are moot re: Kore

wordelo
Mutters to Themself

Post by wordelo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:59 am

Inspired wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:13 pm Dang, too slow to make the thread. I would have given the title "A total rip-off" because I like puns, but meh.

This turn of events is... interesting, none the less. We saw him using those nuggets when he spoke to Y&B, but then I thought it is good for the "other" spirits to talk with. But these last panels show Kore is fully aware of the spirits he "collects", and that he can summon them at will? Not only fancy visual effects of IME and disfigurations on the head... (Yeah, likely an "all you can eat" buffet for the demon upon arrival.)

In any case, Ears' control over the golem will wear off soon, I guess in the middle of the conversation. Which means no more powerful dwarf-smashing, and I'll be really unsure who would come out on top.
I was thinking of "a splitting headache"

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Splitting Hell; ripping headache..... Ouch

Post by Krulle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:42 am

You know that in your reply you can set it to whatever you like?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:59 am

What would happen if Fumbles tossed his staff to Chief? Would it free him from Kore?

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:02 am

Quick! Someone gouge Kore’s remaining eye out!

SirButcher
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by SirButcher » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:05 am

Holy goblins, I thought Kore couldn't be more horrific. And yet, here we are. :'(

Argh Blargle
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Argh Blargle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:32 am

brnforce wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm So what happens if Chief tells them that Kore is actually good and they shouldn't fight him?
Doesn't matter - he's still trying to kill them.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:07 am

So is Kore actually beaten for the moment, or is he just stalling?

Since Kore crushes the little object which corresponds to Chief's soul, does this liberate Chief from his control? Or are these just "potions" of Speak with Dead? (Houseruled to involve the victim's sole rather than just their corpse.)

I wonder if Chief's ghost could operate the golem.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:33 am

Chief's most likely first few sentences:

"I'm naked! Don't look at my... Wait, where is my...?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: 26-Sep-2019: Speak with them

Post by Generic » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:56 am

I really like the movement of Chiefs spirit across the panels. Good layout!

And I am incredibly glad Kore got pistachioed. Different things are happening!

Krulle wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:25 pm [...]
I want walls of text with the next update(s)!
I want Chief to tell them all!About Kore! About the reality breakdown! About afterlife! About their choice of teller! About Kore's path to their village and him killing Y&B, Taps, ...!
Oh. Please, no. I am totally fine with a cutaway and actual comic showing this. But wall of text? Talking heads? Brr...
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 am

Kore, as the name already suggests, may have - or consist of - a core. A magical one. We always thought about it being a reference to hardcore if at all, but, as always here, things have deeper meaning. It was already clear that the outer visible hull is not Kore's real body.

Also, this loops back to a comic from more than 13 years ago: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/03262006

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:27 pm

wordelo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:59 am I was thinking of "a splitting headache"
Ooo, that's a good one! Maybe "Conversation with an open mind" ?
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Re: 26-Sep-2019: Speak with them

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:05 pm

Generic wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:56 am And I am incredibly glad Kore got pistachioed. Different things are happening!
Haven't been around for a while, only lurk infrequently, but had to comment that pistachio as a verb is AWESOME.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:16 am

Gazirra wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:26 pm Maybe Kore's keeping them out of Hell by imprisoning them in magic jars.
Maybe the souls are the ones imprisoning Hell. As in, the souls create a barrier for his hell-portal. Maybe he needs a high content of souls to do this, so he kills every sort-of-evil thing he comes across rather than killing good beings.