Feb 5th, 2020 - Hardware Bugs

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Feb 5th, 2020 - Hardware Bugs

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:37 pm

Well, Kin seems to be holding her own for now. I hadn't thought of just cutting through the dungeon wall like a Gordion Knit, but Minmax is pretty oblivious to the way things are supposed to work.

https://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-2-2020
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: Feb 5th, 2020 - Hardware Bugs

Post by Generic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 am

WearsHats wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:37 pm Well, Kin seems to be holding her own for now. I hadn't thought of just cutting through the dungeon wall like a Gordion Knit, but Minmax is pretty oblivious to the way things are supposed to work.

https://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-2-2020
He is not cutting through the wall. He seems to insert the sword between the door and the frame.
I don't know what hinges and bolts are made of in Ellipsised Realms, but unless he can slice through the metal, Oblivious should at least be a decent lever now.

I don't get how you get holding her own from what is portrayed. To me it look like she is swamped by them. Or, that she is squeezing them like the Hulk... Dunno really what is going on in those last frames.
Last edited by Generic on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 am

Hi Everyone,
Generic, you are right! That is Oblivious, in the last panel, and the door seems to be cracking. Looks like Minmax may get thru!

Hugs, Nina.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:37 am

Awww, we didn't get to see the glimpse of the future, where he pulled oblivious from.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Starling
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Starling » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:49 am

Kin is cut but she isn't bleeding despite cuts being pretty deep. Even small cuts start to bleed profusely. It's either an artistic mistake or Kin became undead at some point.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 am

Nina wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 am Hi Everyone,
Generic, you are right! That is Oblivious, in the last panel, and the door seems to be cracking. Looks like Minmax may get thru!

Hugs, Nina.
I don't know. It might also just be that little damage that occur when you wedge something in a tight gap. I've seen many doors IRL with damage from crowbars where the door quite obviously held the intruder out.

I've given up on materials in this universe by now though. The door could hold or just as well shatter into a million pieces. I lack the reference, apart from things generally being more brittle than expected.

It seems to be rather thick. And well engineered enough not to release the balls when the door swung shut. It's also flush with the wall. I would imagine whoever made it would be able to have it hold for a few rounds against a fighter with levels countable on one hand. (forgot what level he is, 5th or in that ball plank).

An undead Kin would be a fun twist. "Well, half of my body is a construct, so the influence kinda spread. I am now more machine than a yan-ti, twisted and evil."

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

5 Feb 2020 - A Silent Fight

Post by Krulle » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:28 am

GathersIngredients wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:37 am Awww, we didn't get to see the glimpse of the future, where he pulled oblivious from.
Minmax pulled Oblivious from the past. If he lets go, it'll go to the future...

sketch of panel 2:
► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Jarednc
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Jarednc » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:54 am

Jarednc wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:35 am I think Min max is going to use oblivious to cut open the door
Called it.

Elli said her oblivious was her favorite item in the universe.

Silfar
Remains Silent

Post by Silfar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Can we just stop for a moment and appreciate that awesome artwork? Both Drawing and the colouring?! Holy crap guys / ladies!

Typhlosaurus
Remains Silent

Post by Typhlosaurus » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Silfar wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:04 pm Can we just stop for a moment and appreciate that awesome artwork? Both Drawing and the colouring?! Holy crap guys / ladies!
Absolutely. I don't normally notice how good the art is, but the main panel got through my normal "what's going on"/"how does this affect the plot" filter and made me take notice for a moment. Absolutely splendid!

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 pm

Never underestimate Minimax's ability to simultaneously make a situation worse and better through the use of brute force

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:23 pm

Generic wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 am I've given up on materials in this universe by now though. The door could hold or just as well shatter into a million pieces. I lack the reference, apart from things generally being more brittle than expected.

It seems to be rather thick. And well engineered enough not to release the balls when the door swung shut. It's also flush with the wall. I would imagine whoever made it would be able to have it hold for a few rounds against a fighter with levels countable on one hand. (forgot what level he is, 5th or in that ball plank).
It's D&D, so it will be a strength contest. The door versus Minimax's strength rating - which we know is absurdly high for a human. Also, in D&D 1 foot of stone is not THAT hard. There is a spell that creates a stone wall and it has it's own armor class, so if enemies attack it enough, it will break. So, yes, a strong creature can break it with enough force and good rolls. Minimax is good at good rolls when it comes to physical feats. I wouldn't at all count out his ability to smash through, especially with powerful magic items in hand.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Starling wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:49 am Kin is cut but she isn't bleeding despite cuts being pretty deep. Even small cuts start to bleed profusely. It's either an artistic mistake or Kin became undead at some point.

They're just scratches. She has leveled up so her armor class is higher, and she may easily have magic armor (like stone skin).

Jarednc
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Jarednc » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Derkins wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:23 pm
Generic wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 am I've given up on materials in this universe by now though. The door could hold or just as well shatter into a million pieces. I lack the reference, apart from things generally being more brittle than expected.

It's D&D, so it will be a strength contest. The door versus Minimax's strength rating - which we know is absurdly high for a human. Also, in D&D 1 foot of stone is not THAT hard. There is a spell that creates a stone wall and it has it's own armor class, so if enemies attack it enough, it will break. So, yes, a strong creature can break it with enough force and good rolls. Minimax is good at good rolls when it comes to physical feats. I wouldn't at all count out his ability to smash through, especially with powerful magic items in hand.
As I remember, oblivious can cut through anything without any physics causing resistance.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:59 am

Jarednc wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:51 pm As I remember, oblivious can cut through anything without any physics causing resistance.
Oh dear. Ill defined magic. Well, in that case I guess this scene don't have much tension anymore. Surprised they bothered with the puzzle door to enter the dungeon. I just remember that nothing could affect or move the sword, aside from MinMax. I must have forgotten the "cut through anything" part. It'll come down to MinMax remembering he can do that, I guess.

Did not Complains cross blades with oblivious at one point? How did his weapon survive that?

As for the art. The first two frames has a nice movement to it. Her wounds confuses me, and she has obvious problems with her ribcage in panel 2. I have no idea where the light in the scene is coming from in panel 1, or why it has gotten lighter. I have no idea how much urgency the hellbleed frame is portraying. I think the last frames display her crusing some bugs in a feat of strenght? If it's her getting swamped by them, I think a pullaway would have established that better.

I think art is as it usually is. Elli usually pays a lot of attention to the combat I think.

Never Finishes Anyth
Mutters to Themself

Post by Never Finishes Anyth » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:11 am

Silfar wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:04 pm Can we just stop for a moment and appreciate that awesome artwork? Both Drawing and the colouring?! Holy crap guys / ladies!
Is there anything earlier in this comic that compares to today's panel two?

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:25 am

Starling wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:49 am Kin is cut but she isn't bleeding despite cuts being pretty deep. Even small cuts start to bleed profusely. It's either an artistic mistake or Kin became undead at some point.
Does anyone remember Kin's blood's color? Psionic MinMax squished her tail, and it was green, but that may have been psionics.

Hugs, Nina

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:20 am

Derkins wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:25 pm

They're just scratches. She has leveled up so her armor class is higher, and she may easily have magic armor (like stone skin).
Armor class in D&D 3.0 is completely independent from level, unless your class provides a level-based bonus (wizard doesn't). Also, if you get a scratch, you're already beyond the point where armor class helps; that is where hit points come into play.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Morgaln wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:20 am

Armor class in D&D 3.0 is completely independent from level, unless your class provides a level-based bonus (wizard doesn't). Also, if you get a scratch, you're already beyond the point where armor class helps; that is where hit points come into play.
You forgot to factor in the damage resistance from mage armour.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Generic wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:25 pm

I'll let Big Ears answer that one:

https://goblinscomic.com/comic/11212005

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Morgaln wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:50 pm
Generic wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:25 pm

I'll let Big Ears answer that one:

https://goblinscomic.com/comic/11212005
:Eyebrows:
Nina wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:25 am
Does anyone remember Kin's blood's color? Psionic MinMax squished her tail, and it was green, but that may have been psionics.

Hugs, Nina
It's red.
https://goblinscomic.com/comics/20090928.jpg

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm

I know they're not the samesies. but her cut looks like his. Similar positioning. Hers is more angled, and i think starts closer to the corner of the eye. But it still seems like a neat visual cue.

GazC
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GazC » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Jarednc wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:54 am
Jarednc wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:35 am I think Min max is going to use oblivious to cut open the door
Called it.

Elli said her oblivious was her favorite item in the universe.
The only thing is, will Minmax end up cutting through Kin at the same time?

Jarednc
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Jarednc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:38 am

Generic wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:59 am
Jarednc wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:51 pm As I remember, oblivious can cut through anything without any physics causing resistance.
Oh dear. Ill defined magic. Well, in that case I guess this scene don't have much tension anymore. Surprised they bothered with the puzzle door to enter the dungeon. I just remember that nothing could affect or move the sword, aside from MinMax. I must have forgotten the "cut through anything" part. It'll come down to MinMax remembering he can do that, I guess.

Did not Complains cross blades with oblivious at one point? How did his weapon survive that?

As for the art. The first two frames has a nice movement to it. Her wounds confuses me, and she has obvious problems with her ribcage in panel 2. I have no idea where the light in the scene is coming from in panel 1, or why it has gotten lighter. I have no idea how much urgency the hellbleed frame is portraying. I think the last frames display her crusing some bugs in a feat of strenght? If it's her getting swamped by them, I think a pullaway would have established that better.

I think art is as it usually is. Elli usually pays a lot of attention to the combat I think.
What I remember for sure is that oblivious is more powerful the less minmax understands it. If he knew he could just use it to cut through the puzzle then it would lose its power.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:33 am

speakslittle wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm I know they're not the samesies. but her cut looks like his. Similar positioning. Hers is more angled, and i think starts closer to the corner of the eye. But it still seems like a neat visual cue.
Thac0 and No Ears also has the samesies scar.