30 sep. 2020 - A drop

Discuss the comic here!
Generic
Converses Frequently

30 sep. 2020 - A drop

Post by Generic » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Well. That proceeded as expected. Will we see Complains round next?

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-16-2020
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 30 Sep. 2020 - Good for him.

Post by Krulle » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:59 pm

I think so, yes.
And this time it seems like the Goblin Angel will try to interfere with someone cheating her.

Also, did she get nutritious satisfaction from Fumbles escaping?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

elkhantar
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 30 sep. 2020 - A drop

Post by elkhantar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:54 am

Hopefully yes, it would be awesome.

You know? I almost never post, but I liked this update so much that I just had to. Well done!

And I love the facial expressions of the Goblin Angel, they really convey emotion, despite it being an alien monster/angel humanoid.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: 30 Sep. 2020 - Good for him.

Post by Generic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:59 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:59 pm I think so, yes.
And this time it seems like the Goblin Angel will try to interfere with someone cheating her.

Also, did she get nutritious satisfaction from Fumbles escaping?
He did not look very happy when he returned... when he would ret... when he'll retu-... Whatever. He did not look happy when he got back.

And she already said she was full.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:07 am

Isn't it always flying/levitating/somesuch that breaks the best traps? Or teleportation. XD
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:16 am

Velgar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:07 am Isn't it always flying/levitating/somesuch that breaks the best traps? Or teleportation. XD
Telekinesis is a naughty one as well.

AnonySimon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by AnonySimon » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:37 am

I am fairly certain that if Trolls Mortals wanted to, she could have intervened on Kick'asso's ascent to the portal above.

Crimson
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Crimsonak

Post by Crimson » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:53 am

Generic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:16 am
Velgar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:07 am Isn't it always flying/levitating/somesuch that breaks the best traps? Or teleportation. XD
I have heard stories of Gnome/Halfling players characters casting miniaturize on themselves, and then using mage hand to carry themselves since they weigh less than 10lbs.

That one being allowed very much depends on your DM though, the spell description clearly states it can be used to manipulate objects, not creatures. The distinction is, are the clothes the hand is picking up your character by classed as the object or the creature? Ultimately your DM will decide which.

elkhantar
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by elkhantar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Or the old 10 feet pole

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:37 pm

elkhantar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:00 pm
Or the old 10 feet pole
Or rope. Or lamp oil.

Or in the case with my players, romance.

DrinksTea
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksTea » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:04 pm

Hmmm. Well that was not expected.

Falling is what an object does when acted on by gravity. Levitation of an object is counteracting gravity with an external force to maintain a stationary position of the object. Hovering/floating is counteracting gravity with a force provided by the object to maintain a stationary position of the object. Gliding is moving through the air while generating passive lift (i.e. lift generated by the object moving through the air) with only initial thrust on the object. Flying is movement through the air with constant thrust from the object.

Vorpal looks like he is flying: but maybe putting the ring on gave him a little initial thrust (to throw him to the correct height for "levitation"): but because the gravity in the pocket dimension is broken, he just sails up through the portal. I guess the assumption the gravity in the pocket dimension is broken is valid: none of the objects are falling... except the strange vines on the rocks do hang down... and Vorpal "stands" on a platform under the escape portal (i.e. doesn't make an attempt to jump into the portal above: because if you were standing there and felt no gravity, wouldn't you give it a go?).

Honestly: I dislike objects that grant "levitation" to the holder: they don't make sense: if the object is causing my character to levitate, then the object is generating the force to counteract gravity: if I am holding the object, then "I" am providing the force to counteract gravity, so I must be hovering! If the object were a "stone of levitation" which causes the user to levitate above the stone... then yes: that would be levitation of the user!

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:27 am

I love this page so much. :cheer:

Iirc, Angels are lawful beings, so while she was clearly rooting for Fumbles/Vorpal (she did say she was so proud or him on the previous page), she couldn't NOT do, what she was supposed to (namely pull the according lever), when the answer he gave was not matching the writing on the character sheet.
However, she also wasn't -required/obligated- to do anything additionally to pulling the lever that would make him fall. And thus, she was free to choose not to hinder his escape and did so. (Or maybe she was just too flabbergasted by him being able to ... float upwards to react before he reached the portal. :shrug: )

I dunno if she got any nutrition out of that (though I would agree with another user's assessment that Vorpal didn't seem happy when he returned to the group), but I as a reader most certainly got satisfaction out of it. :D

Especially since players of lawful characters (like paladins for example) are often faced with similar conundrums and (have to) find work-arounds to certain situations they experience, too.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:32 am

Well, she might eat her own satisfaction and happiness of Vorpal escaping.

Also, Vorpal might be happy and satisfied that he can escape, and is levitating towards the exit.

Plenty of satisfying stuff in there for Vorpal.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 am

DrinksTea wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:04 pm Hmmm. Well that was not expected.

Falling is what an object does when acted on by gravity. Levitation of an object is counteracting gravity with an external force to maintain a stationary position of the object. Hovering/floating is counteracting gravity with a force provided by the object to maintain a stationary position of the object. Gliding is moving through the air while generating passive lift (i.e. lift generated by the object moving through the air) with only initial thrust on the object. Flying is movement through the air with constant thrust from the object.

Vorpal looks like he is flying: but maybe putting the ring on gave him a little initial thrust (to throw him to the correct height for "levitation"): but because the gravity in the pocket dimension is broken, he just sails up through the portal. I guess the assumption the gravity in the pocket dimension is broken is valid: none of the objects are falling... except the strange vines on the rocks do hang down... and Vorpal "stands" on a platform under the escape portal (i.e. doesn't make an attempt to jump into the portal above: because if you were standing there and felt no gravity, wouldn't you give it a go?).

Honestly: I dislike objects that grant "levitation" to the holder: they don't make sense: if the object is causing my character to levitate, then the object is generating the force to counteract gravity: if I am holding the object, then "I" am providing the force to counteract gravity, so I must be hovering! If the object were a "stone of levitation" which causes the user to levitate above the stone... then yes: that would be levitation of the user!
It's magic. It's allowed to set new rules.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:49 am

kudos to all those who saw it coming.

I personally don't like this solution to the drop-to-your-death problem, because

1. I understood levitation as hovering somewhat above the floor, similar to how a magnet would levitate over a same-pole magnet floor (if it isn't able to flip over that is). I did not understand levitation as ability to fly upwards indefinitely above the floor.

2. I understood the entire place as "outside of time"(*) so having such a short scene there is kind of... wasted effort.

(*) -by "outside of time" I mean Vorpal could spend hours/days/years there, and still get back to the original place just seconds after he had disappeared (as seen from the perspective of others).

Perhaps this "outside of time" feature will be more useful for Complains.

3. Vorpal levelled up. I expected longer story arc for such an achievement. I mean, the full escape from Brassmoon city was worth one level, and now a short one-question drop and float scene is worth another level?
But thinking about it again, they didn't level up after the fight with Kore, so this could be just the straw that broke the camel's back

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:45 am

As recently explained, levitating and hovering are not the same thing. Magical levitation allows for vertical movement.
3.5e SRD wrote:Levitate allows you to move yourself, another creature, or an object up and down as you wish. A creature must be willing to be levitated, and an object must be unattended or possessed by a willing creature. You can mentally direct the recipient to move up or down as much as 20 feet each round; doing so is a move action. You cannot move the recipient horizontally, but the recipient could clamber along the face of a cliff, for example, or push against a ceiling to move laterally (generally at half its base land speed).
You can argue the semantics and diction, but the D&D definition of levitation is clear, and Elli has been explicit that the D&D rules are the laws of physics of the comic's world.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 am

Well that was anticlimactic.

EcceVos
Remains Silent

Post by EcceVos » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:40 pm

Thaco explained levitation in the comic.

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-11-2019

oh wearshats beat me to the link

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:28 am

redfeather wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 am Well that was anticlimactic.
I am still wondering why it was played as a flashback.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Generic wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:28 am
redfeather wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 am Well that was anticlimactic.
I am still wondering why it was played as a flashback.
That I understand. The anvilicious Aesop that's being dropped here makes perfect sense to me; I'm just surprised at how little was made of it here. There was an obvious buildup, and this is all we get as a payoff. No kickass final line from Fumbles about how he's too awesome to fall in a pit, or anything of that sort; he's just like "bye!" and zooms up and out a hole we didn't know was there before. I just thought it was undersold after the anticipation we had.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:35 pm

Yes. With a good payoff I understand that we knew it was about his name and that he did not like it. Now it's played for tension anyway, and not enough for the Anvideliscuois Aesop or whatever you called a heavily delivered moral.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:33 am

I'm waiting to see how Complains of Names got out of this. Jumping up the shattered (and floating) pieces of the lid?

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi Everyone!
I really like the expression of the Angel in the last panel. She had to deep six him, but nothing says she can't be happy that he escaped.

Hugs, Nina.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:15 am

Does anyone else find it strange that both Kore and Trolls Mortals responded to Fumbles' levitation by saying (word-for-word), "Goblins can't do that"? Like, with everything that is possible in their world, they both find it impossible that a goblin could levitate?

Could this be subtle foreshadowing for something?

Could this be Elli emphasizing a theme of individuals breaking through society's expectations?

Or am I just being weird and this is a perfectly normal response to seeing a goblin levitate?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:41 am

Yeah. It's strange. With Kore I thought it was just him showing how incredibly easy he was to distract. But you're right. It seems like a theme emerging.

I never got the impression magic items are rare. The maze of many by itself must have feed the realm loads of items. Being an infinite source of high reward, no risk loot. But this potion keeps everyone baffled.