01 November, 2021 - Kinmax Denouement

Discuss the comic here!
cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

01 November, 2021 - Kinmax Denouement

Post by cbertrand » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:35 am

New Comic is up: Kinmax Denouement

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-16-2021

Okay, I will admit that Elipsis may be pulling off that miracle. This is very moving. I particularly love the composition, seeing Kin's face, directly, and MinMax' face in the reflections.

Even so, I still have a bit of cognitive dissonance. I really wish Elipsis would edit:

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/10222013

and swap the headshots/dialogue of panels 9 and 10. Has Elipsis ever commented in a blog or discord somewhere about that earlier comic?
Last edited by cbertrand on Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Writes-critically
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 01 November, 2021, comic

Post by Writes-critically » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:59 am

Dude why are you so obsessed with this panel swap on that one particular page? I do not follow the community extremely closely and yet this is at least third time I see this topic being brought up.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:16 am

Because I have nothing better to do with my time, I saw this comic hours ago, but resisted the impulse to make a thread for it. I now wish I had, since I could have given it a fun quote-title in the tradition of these forums.

cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

Post by cbertrand » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:30 pm

Hope_Caswell wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:16 am Because I have nothing better to do with my time, I saw this comic hours ago, but resisted the impulse to make a thread for it. I now wish I had, since I could have given it a fun quote-title in the tradition of these forums.
I am so sorry! I hadn't known about that . . . Had I known, I would have titled it "Denouement".

cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

Post by cbertrand » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:44 pm

Writes-critically wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:59 am Dude why are you so obsessed with this panel swap on that one particular page? I do not follow the community extremely closely and yet this is at least third time I see this topic being brought up.
I am hoping that somebody can come up with an explanation that will return me to the heights of enjoyment and anticipation. Alternatively, Elipsis might pull off a miracle with the rest of the story or make a correction. Even an explanation of what she was thinking (or just an explanation of what Minmax was thinking so that we do not have the uncertainty) would help me.

That earlier comic, as is, casts a shadow over my enjoyment of what is a _stellar_ story. It is like having a lovely filet of sole -- perfectly cooked and seasoned, perhaps with a wonderful sauce -- and gagging on a fish bone in your third bite. You know that the dish is terrific and you will certainly continue eating and enjoying it; however you know that other fish bones are in there and the overall pristine experience is sullied.

Or, for the non-foodies, imagine you have a new pair of perfectly fit, custom-molded sneakers. They feel _so_ good; but then somebody forgot to pick up after their dog, or spits their gum on the ground and you accidentally step in it. You won't have that level of comfort until the bottom of the shoes are cleaned.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:19 pm

There was quite a few feelings going on when I stumbled on this one earlier today.

I mean... People who've had time and nothing to do to read my ravings knows that I'm all for some KinMax action. And this one is absolutely amazing in the most lovely-dovely way.

Buuuuuut... I too think there could have been a moment or two more awkwardness. It would have made it a bit more interesting, just putting it here. Being honest like that.

That being said. It makes certain sense.

On MinMax side it's just an absolute no-brainer. This is what he has wanted. For him their relationship was never weighed on any trinket or anything. For him it has always been much more organic, the way the love grew. For him he just loved Kin, no matter what went missing.

For Kin. Well. She had, and has, a very, VERY good reason to doubt love. First of all her relationship with love is like a person who's never even seen a computer, now suddenly sitting in front of one without anyone ever having been able to tell her what computer is and now someone is instead telling her to send an e-mail to MinMax.

For her the very tipping point was the necklace. That made her snowball into completely alien territory. It was the keystone on which she had build the whole idea that MinMax could be anything else than a human.

And that keystone got yanked right off from the foundation. So... Shouldn't she still be a bit testy with the human she kinda sorta feels like he means a whole lot to her, but with no idea what really trickered that idea...

Well, like Krulle said... Time. She probably had a good while to think about this. And like I've also mentioned, she's smart. She did figure a few things out while she was at it.
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

FYI you can edit titles.

Post by Glemp » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:18 pm

cbertrand wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:30 pm
Hope_Caswell wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:16 am Because I have nothing better to do with my time, I saw this comic hours ago, but resisted the impulse to make a thread for it. I now wish I had, since I could have given it a fun quote-title in the tradition of these forums.
I am so sorry! I hadn't known about that . . . Had I known, I would have titled it "Denouement".
You can edit titles on this forum, they're in the subject textbox at the top of your first post.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

and if you do, new replies will get the new title. *

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:05 am

Glemp wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:18 pm
cbertrand wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:30 pm [...]I would have titled it "Denouement".
You can edit titles on this forum, they're in the subject textbox at the top of your first post.
Indeed, go ahead and edit your post.

* if the reply has not been created through the use of the "quote" button of an earlier post
Velgar wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:19 pmAnd that keystone got yanked right off from the foundation. So... Shouldn't she still be a bit testy with the human she kinda sorta feels like he means a whole lot to her, but with no idea what really trickered that idea...

Well, like Krulle said... Time. She probably had a good while to think about this. And like I've also mentioned, she's smart. She did figure a few things out while she was at it.
Kin is smart. She figured out Minmax threw his boot into the Oblivion hole.
Maybe she learned something about her alternate Kins, and how they manipulate others "for their own good" to get their own.
And maybe she figured out one of the Kins did something.

She already knew there must've been a reason for the trust.

Maybe soon she'll find out what her IME means.
She should just ask Minmax to write her a love letter.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Re: and if you do, new replies will get the new title. *

Post by Velgar » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:15 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:05 am Kin is smart. She figured out Minmax threw his boot into the Oblivion hole.
Maybe she learned something about her alternate Kins, and how they manipulate others "for their own good" to get their own.
And maybe she figured out one of the Kins did something.

She already knew there must've been a reason for the trust.

Maybe soon she'll find out what her IME means.
She should just ask Minmax to write her a love letter.
And that was BEFORE they knew what the holes did and that such a thing even existed. She had no backup experience, not any of her own or any example she could have heard of things that simply erase stuff from existence.

She had only the exact information she was gathering from amount that was actually rapidly decreasing with all the stuff Minmax was erasing from her knowledge as well.

And she still figured something was wrong in the right right now.

So let's say she spent couple of hundred runs (heck, they had spend varying amounts of time times near two million. Even thinking they'd die within 10min each run, that's 20 million minutes spent) so she has had A LOT of time to think about it vs the 5s it took her last time to figuring out something wrong was happening in relation to the Oblivious holes.
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:29 am

Did I think the last page was "Aaaaaaaw"? Yes, maybe. But this page definitely is.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:22 am

cbertrand wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:44 pm That earlier comic, as is, casts a shadow over my enjoyment of what is a _stellar_ story. It is like having a lovely filet of sole -- perfectly cooked and seasoned, perhaps with a wonderful sauce -- and gagging on a fish bone in your third bite. You know that the dish is terrific and you will certainly continue eating and enjoying it; however you know that other fish bones are in there and the overall pristine experience is sullied.

Or, for the non-foodies, imagine you have a new pair of perfectly fit, custom-molded sneakers. They feel _so_ good; but then somebody forgot to pick up after their dog, or spits their gum on the ground and you accidentally step in it. You won't have that level of comfort until the bottom of the shoes are cleaned.
Most of us have already cleaned our shoes, spit out the fish bone (or cracked it between our teeth and swallowed it, if it was a pretty tiny and soft one that we barely noticed while nomming), and moved on. You're not the only person who's ever commented on this one page, but you're one of very few who seemingly reads much more into that moment than most of us do. I think the current page and its predecessor pretty much puts the entire issue to rest.

cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

Re: FYI you can edit titles.

Post by cbertrand » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:47 pm

Glemp wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:18 pm
cbertrand wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:30 pm
THANK YOU! Done.

cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

Post by cbertrand » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:59 pm

Hope_Caswell wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:22 am Most of us have already cleaned our shoes, spit out the fish bone (or cracked it between our teeth and swallowed it, if it was a pretty tiny and soft one that we barely noticed while nomming), and moved on. You're not the only person who's ever commented on this one page, but you're one of very few who seemingly reads much more into that moment than most of us do. I think the current page and its predecessor pretty much puts the entire issue to rest.
Yeah, I stay squicked for a while after gum or dog droppings on the shoe; even after they get cleaned. Also, once I have one of those sharp, needle-like spines in a fish filet, I am going to be wary and a bit uncomfortable for the rest of the dish.

I really wish Ellipsis would reveal her thoughts on that page and on this resolution somewhere, even if just to confirm whether or not Minmax actually realized the implications of the leash when he looked down.

Still, I love the composition (this is a David Trampier level work) and am very impressed with how moving this is. As Inspired said:
Inspired wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:29 am "Aaaaaaaw"

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:13 pm

cbertrand wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:59 pm I really wish Ellipsis would reveal her thoughts on that page and on this resolution somewhere, even if just to confirm whether or not Minmax actually realized the implications of the leash when he looked down.
You could always ask her on Twitter. Her handle is @EllipsisGoblins

jokespoorly
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 01 November, 2021 - Kinmax Denouement

Post by jokespoorly » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:09 pm

I haven't posted in a very long time.

I think all I want to say is: <3

JP

cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

Post by cbertrand » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:24 am

RocketScientist wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:13 pm
cbertrand wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:59 pm I really wish Ellipsis would reveal her thoughts on that page and on this resolution somewhere, even if just to confirm whether or not Minmax actually realized the implications of the leash when he looked down.
You could always ask her on Twitter. Her handle is @EllipsisGoblins
Ugh, I hate social media. It is a big step for me to even be posting _here_!

(The fact that I am willing to post here is an indication of how good goblins is!)