27 Feb. 2022 - FZZWorp

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

27 Feb. 2022 - FZZWorp

Post by Krulle » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:52 pm

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-2-2022

Now we know a tad more, but still, BE needs to inform the group.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: 27 Feb. 2022 - FZZWorp

Post by Glemp » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:04 am

So if that Axe goes through the portal...

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:45 am

I was so thinking of calling it Fzzworpal Portal. :lol:

But yeah. BE ain't the sharpest tool in the shed... He even sports an axe that's a ring...

Just... Yeah... Get the others. They might have better ideas...

Also, do gargoyles stuck into cursed flesh count as magic items? >:?
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:54 am

My question is, do magic items always dissolve, or only if uncarried/thrown?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:29 am

Well it's always good to get a page, but seen in isolation, this is the worst page we've had in a while. It might be setting up something decent later, but doesn't do it very well; I hope we don't have a long wait before this is improved upon.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:18 am

Hope_Caswell wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:29 am Well it's always good to get a page, but seen in isolation, this is the worst page we've had in a while. It might be setting up something decent later, but doesn't do it very well; I hope we don't have a long wait before this is improved upon.
You think? I think it's stronger than this page:

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-18-2021
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:39 am

Generic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:18 am
Hope_Caswell wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:29 am Well it's always good to get a page, but seen in isolation, this is the worst page we've had in a while. It might be setting up something decent later, but doesn't do it very well; I hope we don't have a long wait before this is improved upon.

Disagree; that one does a pretty good job of presenting information, and shows multiple characters interacting still in-character, while the current just has BE acting dumb and repeating nonsense words that the author invented, rather than having a more concrete assessment of the situation. BE is still a paladin, however unconventional a one; having Intelligence as your dump stat isn't inconsistent with that class, but it's not ideal for it either.

Writes-critically
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Writes-critically » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:34 pm

When it comes to recent pages that were pointless this one takes the cake:
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-12-2021

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:07 pm

Writes-critically wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:34 pm When it comes to recent pages that were pointless this one takes the cake:
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-12-2021
Nah. Not as pointless as the ones just before it.

Mash that page together with the first half of this one:
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-9-2021

Then you can just cut the pages in between alltogether. Noone would notice them being gone, apart from the cutaway to Kore being short.

Writes-critically
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Writes-critically » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:17 pm

Since quite a few years ago now I believe that author of this comic imagines some sort of animated adaptation being made of it in the future and that is the reason why all the moments are shown and drawn, to tell the director/cameraman "just follow the comic!". Every move in combat, silent panels with view of the enviorment, separate pictures just to show another facial expression (the page where minimax throws goblinslayer out of the window is a great example of this one) all that crap we'd usually deem unneeded is not skipped here.
We should start making our own version of this comic where we cut away useless stuff in case we want to re-read it in the future more comfortably...

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:31 pm

Hope_Caswell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:39 am
Generic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:18 am

Disagree; that one does a pretty good job of presenting information, and shows multiple characters interacting still in-character, while the current just has BE acting dumb and repeating nonsense words that the author invented, rather than having a more concrete assessment of the situation. BE is still a paladin, however unconventional a one; having Intelligence as your dump stat isn't inconsistent with that class, but it's not ideal for it either.
You think? The reason for the page is to show the loop. Yet the door Complains leaves through is not visible in the wide shot, and a bunch of panels are basically just copies. This one sets up an obstacle, and it has background, and I am at all points clear about who is where, how close they are to walls and each other. Why Ears backs off so far to throw a pebble I don't know, but at least it is clear he does.

It is not a particulary good page. But at least it's breaking out of this (second in a short time) loop that the characters has been stuck in.

I think Ears throughout has been dumb as a brick, paired with some depth-first reasoning here and there. Like when he jumped to the conclusion from a demon minions rambling that Prissan was a ferry and not a prison.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:35 pm

Writes-critically wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:17 pm Since quite a few years ago now I believe that author of this comic imagines some sort of animated adaptation being made of it in the future and that is the reason why all the moments are shown and drawn, to tell the director/cameraman "just follow the comic!". Every move in combat, silent panels with view of the enviorment, separate pictures just to show another facial expression (the page where minimax throws goblinslayer out of the window is a great example of this one) all that crap we'd usually deem unneeded is not skipped here.
We should start making our own version of this comic where we cut away useless stuff in case we want to re-read it in the future more comfortably...
She has improved in this regard. Do you remember Duv fighting those bugbears with her sharpened credit cards? Where it was basically frame by frame? Those extreme slowdowns don't happen anymore.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:43 am

I don't mind slow plot progress with pages that don't have much action (ok I lie, I don't like it, but understand they are necessary)

But I realllly don't like the talk between BE and the gargoyle soul. Maybe Eli is building up for a romance story between them, but it feels really forced into the story, not like the masterful story telling we've seen in the past (eg. very unlike MM and Kin love story).
To say the gargoyle character is unnecessary so far is an understatment, but I'm hopeful it will prove to be some interesting part of the story later.

What is more natural than shouting "hey guys! I found a secret door!" as soon as you find one?
What is *less* natural than throwing a magical artifact into a portal to see what happens? This is not good storytelling. It could be barely ok if it was comically dumb character. BE was never the genius but he was never before comically stupid.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:05 pm

Arrow wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:43 am I don't mind slow plot progress with pages that don't have much action (ok I lie, I don't like it, but understand they are necessary)

But I realllly don't like the talk between BE and the gargoyle soul. Maybe Eli is building up for a romance story between them, but it feels really forced into the story, not like the masterful story telling we've seen in the past (eg. very unlike MM and Kin love story).
To say the gargoyle character is unnecessary so far is an understatment, but I'm hopeful it will prove to be some interesting part of the story later.

What is more natural than shouting "hey guys! I found a secret door!" as soon as you find one?
What is *less* natural than throwing a magical artifact into a portal to see what happens? This is not good storytelling. It could be barely ok if it was comically dumb character. BE was never the genius but he was never before comically stupid.
The plot needed to happen. Character and reason had to take the back seat.

We COULD have Ears and Fraggy appear somewhere else after the angel. Could have built some tension. "Ok that was dangerous, but at least I leveled up. Everyone ok? Oh fuck, Ears has not returned!"

But instead they wandered and broke character for a few months instead.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:40 am

Well my headcanon might have to be that getting angel-merged and growing his ears back means that BE now has "essence of stoned angel" in his brain, fogging his thought processes with Celestial chillax energy, so that he can no longer think clearly and coherently but just follows his emotional impulses.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:28 am

That would also explain why the angel brought a My Little Pony-brush instead of a sword.