The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Jax

After pulling on a quick disguise, Jax steps out and casts Charm Person. Unfortunately, the person inside the carriage is hidden behind a thick curtain, blocking the line-of-sight that his spell requires. But the driver is an easy target - he looks up at Jax in surprise for a second, before shaking his head and pulling the horses to a stop.

"Y'alright there, mate? Bit late t'be out for a walk."
► Show Spoiler
Veska

Realising there must be something pretty valuable hidden behind the painting, Veska brainstorms some tricks that'll totally definitely work and not set off the Alarm. Definitely.

Not willing to risk calling the guards down on her just yet though, she opts to leave it till later. Instead, she raids the desk - pocketing some nice crisp paper that looks like it might be worth something, a couple of unopened inkpots, and a fancy inkpen.

- 10 sheets of paper
- 2 inkpots
- 1 (fancy) inkpen

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:12 pm

((ah cool, thanks!))

In a quiet voice:
"Yeah I know, mate. Missed the bloody gate didn't I? Listen, any chance I can hop up there wiv you for a ride? It's bloody uncomfortable stuck out here in the cold and wherever you're going's got to be better'n that!"

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Veska rolls up the paper and tosses the office supplies into one of her sacks, then turns her attention to the rest of the room. What else was there to ransack?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am

Vatro will sneak past the room while glancing in and around him.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Jax

"Yeah I know, mate. Missed the bloody gate didn't I? Listen, any chance I can hop up there wiv you for a ride? It's bloody uncomfortable stuck out here in the cold and wherever you're going's got to be better'n that!"

Now that he's close enough to hear the guy properly, Jax can recognise the dwarven traits in his voice. And while a lot of his frame is still hidden by the thick cloak around his shoulders, he's about the right shape for a dwarf too. Even if his beard and hair are cut pretty short for one.

"...yeah, that's a tough 'un. 'fraid I can't say I'll be much help. Ain't really my call t'make, y'understand."

Gesturing back at the carriage, the dwarf shrugs half-heartedly. And almost on cue, the curtain behind him rustles impatiently.

"Tarvok! What's the hold up? Who the blast are you talking to out there?"

Veska

Pocketing the paper and inks, Veska has another quick check around the room. But everything valuable seems to have either been stored away, or is too heavy to nick. Which probably makes sense - after all, why go to the effort of having a secret (Alarmed!) safe installed if you weren't going to use it.

Vatro

Creeping along the corridor, Vatro peers around the corner at the source of the light. His instincts were correct - it's a candle, sitting on a desk. A desk which is being used.

The woman sitting at it seems to be focused entirely on the stack of papers in front of her, scribbling through them at a rapid rate. She only stops occasionally to mutter a few choice curses under her breath. Luckily, she's so engrossed in her work that she doesn't notice Vatro at all. Not that she was likely to spot the stealthy elf even if she was paying attention.

Just around the corner is another staircase leading upstairs, another office, and what looks suspiciously like the front door. There's also a metal plaque on the wall next to the stairs.

2) Office for Merchant Affairs
1) Office for Public Sanitation
0) Office for Equine Permits and Taxation

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

((can I cast charm person through the window or would it be super obvious?))

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:32 pm

((Probably super obvious, since it's an SV spell. Plus you still haven't actually got line-of-sight on the guy. Of course, you could always just try using that Charisma of yours ;) ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:47 pm

((True! But new spells are such fun!))

Jax gives the driver an indication to wait a moment linger, then approaches the window. Speaking softly, so's not to wake the folk in the inn, he says:

"Apologies sir [or ma'am] for the inconvenience. I have been caught outside town tonight and was hoping I might be able to hitch a ride with you fine folk rather than freezing my ass..ets in the cold. I won't be no trouble. And I know how to keep my mouth shut."

Jax will try to catch a glimpse of the speaker behind the curtain while being all charming and stuff.

Perception; Persuasion: 1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12
1D20+11 = [12]+11 = 23

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Veska makes a face at the lack of nick-ables, but supposes it makes sense.

She decides to leave the painting alone for now. It will still be there when she comes back, and she might not be tall enough to wrench it open anyway unless she were to push the desk against the wall. She'll recruit that Vatro guy to help with it later. On that note, she almost leaves the office, but thoughts of Vatro give her pause. What if that tall-folk stomps in here and puts his mitts all over the painting, setting off the Alarm and alerting every guard on the block?

After a moment of thought, Veska fishes the office supplies out of her bag and uses one of the sheets of paper to scratch out a very clear warning.
► Show Spoiler
She... probably spends a bit longer on it than necessary. She even does that thing that artists do and pens a signature in the corner, which, considering Veska can't read, is actually a big scribble she made up just now.

With the warning laid on the desk, Veska leaves the office! She stalks through the hallways, scouting the building out for any other sources of magic before her Detect Magic spell runs out, looking down at the floor beneath her occasionally, as well as for any other interesting rooms to pillage.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Jax

"Apologies sir [or ma'am] for the inconvenience. I have been caught outside town tonight and was hoping I might be able to hitch a ride with yo-"

Before he can finish his sentence, Jax finds himself caught off-guard as the curtain flies open.

The man inside the carriage is...not quite what he may have been expecting. For most nobles or rich folk, their bark is worse than their bite. They might talk tough, but they all crumble under even the slightest physical pressure.

This guy looked like he could - and would - quite happily break someone over his knee for looking at him funny. He's not just a muscular brute either though. With wavy golden hair, tanned skin, and an impressive moustache, he's also not bad to look at. Probably something of a hit with the ladies. Assuming those intense blue eyes don't scare them away, that is.

The same eyes that are currently drilling their way into Jax's soul.

Eventually though, he speaks - gesturing to the front with a grunt and a half nod.

"...you sit up front with Tarvok. No funny business, or I'll throw you in a ditch myself."

"Now get a move on! I want to be in that city by sunrise."

"Got it boss, sunrise t'is."

After pausing barely long enough for Jax to clamber on, Tarvok snaps his reigns and gets the horses moving again.

Veska

After leaving some impressive...."artwork" for Vatro to find, Veska sets off to quickly scour the rest of the building. Unfortunately that painting seems to be the only thing within range - or maybe that's a good thing, seeing how she doesn't actually have a way to dispel that sorta thing anyway. Either way, her scroll has worn off by now.

Most of the rooms she checks are more boring offices. But she does find a staircase down, alongside a metal plaque with more of those big-people words on it.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:09 pm

"Yes sir. Much obliged."

Jax wastes no time at all in hopping up beside the driver so as not to delay this unexpected journey.

((How long do we have until dawn, roughly?))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Veska gives an annoyed huff. This is supposed to be the rich district ain't it? There's gotta be something good in here to make off with! Or is everyone too afraid of the other officer-goers stealing their things to leave them out overnight? Is that a thing rich folk do, steal from other rich folk? Whatever, Veska can root through the desk drawers later. Maybe she'll find something.

For now Veska decides to sneak down the stairs, looking for wherever those blueprint things may be. Would the room look like one of those buildings with all the books in them? She hasn't see any rooms like that yet, but she'll probably know it if she sees it.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm

The important question is.. Do we use the European numbering system for different floors so 0 is at ground level or the american floors so the first floor is at ground level? :P

None the less, Vatro will climb the stairs, not about to bother the girl working late. He'll keep an eye out for goodies and sanitation plans.

Vatro perception: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Jax

It's hard to tell, but Jax figures it's approaching early morning, or thereabouts. Which means dawn will break in the next hour, with sunrise about two hours away at most.

Still, they should reach their destination well before that. Once clear of the inn and other buildings, Tarvok whips the reigns and the carriage begins to pick up speed. At this rate Jax reckons that, assuming they head for the same gate he left out of, they'll be back to the city in around an hour.

Which is coincidentally about how long his Charm Person spell will last...

Veska and Vatro

While Veska decides to descend the stairs, Vatro climbs up them. And as they reach the middle floor, they both enter the new hall at pretty much the exact same time...and end up walking almost straight into each other.

Not that Vatro realises it's his sewer friend he's bumped into. All he sees is a small-sized shadow stop abruptly in front of him and do a double-take.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Veska's blood freezes for a second when a tall-folk rounds the bend, coming up from the bottom floor. She's about to duck back upstairs to hide, before she recognizes the elf.

"'Ey, watch it, ya almost stepped on me!" she bluff the fear away in a hushed voice. She gives an annoyed sigh. "Ya find anything down there? Ain't nothin' but writing crap upstairs, 'cept the one room. There's a painting actin' as a door, 's got an Alarm spell on it. I wanna crack it open later. Should be easy long as we don' touch it, right?"

"But le's check out this floor. Still looking for any good stuff." And with that, Veska starts making her way through the middle floor of the building, looking for said good stuff or a room where those blueprint things might be held.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Vatro looks confused for a brief moment before he realises who it is.

"This place is meant for boring writing crap as you say. The right bits should be on this floor though and potential scores upstairs written in the papers. There's a girl working late downstairs though. Let's deal with the spell last and figure out if we should deal with the girl beforehand. But papers now."

Vatro will look for the right blueprints amongst the rooms on the floor and of course something valuable.

Vatro perception: 1D20+1D4+6 = [14]+[4]+6 = 24
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Vatro and Veska

After sharing what they'd found, the criminal duo begins searching for what they actually came for. Fortunately, Vatro quickly discovers something promising - a room of cabinets filled with files, folders, and scrolls. Unfortunately, there's a lot of them.

Like, a lot of them.

If this place covered the plumbing for the entire city, there was probably a blueprint for every building with a tap. Finding the right one was going to take all night...

(Investigation roll to search for the blueprints)

Meanwhile, Veska is still on the lookout for shiny stuff. She finds more desks, but nothing immediately jumps out at her.

(Perception roll please)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 pm

All night it is

Vatro investigation: 1D20+1D4 = [7]+[4] = 11
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Veska half-heartedly looks around yet more offices, not even paying attention, really.

Perception on middle office floor: 1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4

She'll probably try to find where Vatro went to not long after.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Jax

The first half of the journey is pretty quiet, Tarvok and Jax both content to sit together in silence as the horses trot along. The dwarf is the first to break it.

"So, what're you doing at this time then? Couldn't get a room at t' inn?"

Vatro and Veska

With a sigh of resignation, Vatro dives into the room and begins sifting through the files and shelves. He's soon joined by the bored Veska, who found nothing in her searching and is absolutely no help at all in looking for this blueprint, either.

Success!

Just as the pair were getting close to giving up, Vatro stumbles on a street name on a cupboard that he recognises from his scouting earlier that day. And a few minutes later, he's looking down at an aerial view of the bank - albeit one that focuses more on the plumbing than anything else. Still, it's definitely what they came for!

And he only had to go through 80% of the papers in the room to find it!

Also Veska's Disguise Self spell wore off hours ago. She's super scaly now.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 am

Veska debated re-casting her Disguise Self spell as it was about to run out, but since it has already been 30-40 minutes of searching through documents up to that point and barely a dent had been made in the archive, she decided to save her magic reserves for a more dire occasion. It's not like Vatro and his darkvision can see her that well anyway - her latent abilities will make sure of that.

After hours of uneventful searching through papers, Veska uselessly trying to help at first and then quitting shortly after when she realizes all the plans look damn near the same to her, and her breaking out her stolen office supplies to doodle in a corner while she waits (this drawing thing is kinda fun, actually??), Vatro eventually finds the bank plumbing plans they're looking for!

"Ughh, finally!" Veska hisses under her breath, scooping her drawing things back into her bag and hopping off her chair. "Yer sure tha's the right one? I wanna crack that paintin' door. The rest o' this place sucks."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 am

((sorry, I've been contemplating Jax's options and forgot to post...!))

Jax will dedicate the first 55 minutes of the journey to making himself as pleasant company to the driver as possible.

"Nah, lost me coin in a game of dice. It's been a day of bad luck all round!"

Once he feels like he's got a decent rapport going with the driver, he'll lower his voice and mutter:

"So where are we headed exactly? I figure it must be urgent or private business to bring a cab out here in the middle of the night."

Fishing for info:
Persuasion: 1D20+11 = [2]+11 = 13

Roll 2:
Persuasion: 1D20+11 = [11]+11 = 22

((Jax will recast charm person and disguise self as necessary, which will use his remaining 1st level slots for the day. Let me know if you need rolls to conceal the spellcasting)).

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Vatro simply nods, too tired to really deal with the impatience of Veska. He'll go upstairs and cast guidance on Veska and take a look around for any papers that might involve their target or employer
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Veska practically darts back to the upstairs office, back to the painting!

Despite her eagerness to crack it open, she takes the time to investigate it once more. While she did notice hinges on the thing, she didn't see any means of actually opening it. There didn't seem to be a lock or even a handle of any kind. Does this thing just swing open?

While she's still reasonably confident in her hypothesis that touching the painting with a crowbar won't trigger an Alarm spell, she decides to take her caution a step further. She pulls the desk chair out and positions the seat back a little bit off from the side of the painting, the side that opens. If the chair is one of those spinny-ones, she'll spin the chair to try and knock the painting door open, and if it's a boring regular chair she'll tip it over so the seat back wedges between the painting and the wall, hopefully opening the painting door that way. If it's the latter, she'll pile up her empty sacks so the chair doesn't slam on the hard floor. Most importantly, she makes sure she isn't touching the chair at the moment of contact with the painting so that she never touches the painting itself, even indirectly through the chair.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:40 am

Jax

"Nah, lost me coin in a game of dice. It's been a day of bad luck all round!"

"Heh, fair 'nough. Must've been some game to lose all your coin like that. Ol' Baldrick usually puts folks up in the stable for cheap if they got too little for a regular room."

"So where are we headed exactly? I figure it must be urgent or private business to bring a cab out here in the middle of the night."

"Farawlen."

For a while Tarvok leaves it at that, seemingly not willing to share more. But then he relents, dropping his voice and continuing.

"Was out working with t' boss when he got a letter from his family. Some big event they want 'im back for. And course, he didn't want t' waste any time or coin stopping, so we've been pretty much going flat out all day. Been trying my damn hardest just t' keep the horses from keeling over!"

Veska and Vatro

After stowing away the blueprints (and presumably tiding up after themselves?) the duo creep back upstairs to the office Veska found. Everything is just as she left it, including the...interesting drawing she made.

The kobold studies the painting again, but doesn't see anything like a handle or a catch. Given how well the hinges blend into the wall, the owner probably rated keeping it hidden higher than convenience. Pulling out the chair, she then creates an elaborate contraption for knocking it open without actually touching the painting directly...

((Can I have a Sleight of Hand roll from Vader, and Stealth/Perception rolls from both of you?))