Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:54 pm

"Ves. Pleasure trading with you!"

Ves grins, pleased that Jaq has successfully not killed himself and that the goblins are happy. She moves the trade goods into a pile and checks them over while she waits for Dernt to come back.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:58 pm

((He isn't coming back after he gave Ves the map, I assumed people ponied up what they said they would and he just snagged it all and went.

The group is now the proud owns of a floating stick, palm sized box, a small stone figurine and a map! Who is taking what? Everyone tossed in something to the trade pot.

Edit: Though it looks like nothing Ves offered was of interest. I have updated the sheets, including what Ves and Jaq learned about their magical items.

What you doing now? It is the middle of the night just at the end of first watch.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Kroshav unstraps his shield and climbs back into his bedding.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 pm

"Diddnae tha gobl'ns say nay ta sleep in here? Maybe we should get out n find a bett'r place ta sleep?"

Joe looks at the box with interest. "May Ah take a look at tha? Figurin' it oout will be tricky nut Ah think Ah might be able ta do it."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:47 pm

"Well that's a better interruption than expected. When Joe is ready, maybe she can take at look at some of this stuff and see if she can figure out what it is. I suggest we use anything useful as we go, but you folks bought it, so as far as I'm concerned, it's yours when were done out here."

Ves takes a brief look at the map in case there's a better camping spot nearby, but will otherwise make do, and go back to sleep before the long rest expires.

((Ooc: I have cool boots already, and have forgotten what everyone else has found))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:18 am

Ves figures out their approximate location on the map but there isn't enough detail to identify nearby camping spot. She notes with interest that the east edge of the map has been marked (in goblin) as 'Danger - Hobgoblin', the north as 'Danger - Wild', the west 'Danger - Wild/Manglegrins' and the south as 'Danger - Spiders'. Where they currently are is marked 'Danger - Cut'. There are a half dozen other spots that have been marked 'Danger' but none would be on their path to the north, northeast. It looks like the forest becomes thicker again as they head in that direction after what would be a half day's walk.

Lurn hands the watch over to Ves just as she lays down and gets comfortable.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:34 am

((Uh, Thinks, can I strongly suggest you not glance over the part where the goblin told you we should definitely not be staying here overnight? You're the only one who understands Goblin, assuming Joe didn't have time to finish the ritual, and I'd rather we not all drown because someone missed a thing. :p))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:13 am

Lurn goes to bed without a worry in the world and quickly falls asleep, knowing that Ves is keeping things safe.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 am

((I thought about asking the goblins about it and then I forgot when the conversation moved on... Oops.

Can I roll to see what Ves thinks of all the Danger! marks on the map? She knows goblin habits a bit and probably would have a better idea of whether this was something to worry about or if they're just scared of everything))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:27 am

((Keep in mind that our first sight of the ravine had signs of water washing through recently with no rain, and the walls having signs of water damage, which only builds up with regular water movement.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 am

((You can give me an int roll from Ves about the map but the goblin was pretty clear in his thoughts/advice about spending the night in the ravine.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:40 am

Welp, looks like everything is just dangerous.
1d20 = [4] = 4

Ves will insist on double watches for the rest of the night, based the goblins' warning, but she's already screwed up the roll looking for a way to climb out of here, and isn't likely to want to attempt it anyway in the dark given that Joe already nearly died trying last time. She'll worry a lot, but she'll keep the group here.

((Lurn can make his own nature checks, right? I'm guessing he might know if the ravine was likely to flash flood just from his nature senses and such))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:40 am

Dlover wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:27 am ((Keep in mind that our first sight of the ravine had signs of water washing through recently with no rain, and the walls having signs of water damage, which only builds up with regular water movement.))
((Wait, really? Ok I missed that...))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:46 am

((Ya, more or less. It wasn't wet when you went down but it was hard to say how much was due to the recent rain and/or if there was a frequent flash flooding issue. Ves would have noticed all this, everyone would have. Though Jaq, Joe and Kroshav wouldn't likely have understood completely. Especially Jaq and Kroshav.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:48 am

((Lurn's nature checks are -1, so I don't imagine he'd know things. And to add to that, he's been trusting Ves as an experienced guide to know what's what, so his -1 is meaningless. :p))
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:24 am

"Well, they seemed friendly enough for goblins. I didn't know goblins were traders and such. They certainly don't tell stories about that in the city."
Jaq looks around. "So, what now? Do we wait until the morning here? Either way though, tomorrow we should get moving to our destination, especially now that other peoples know we are here."
He looks at the map that was bought, sees that it has goblin writing and quickly gives up trying to figure out anything on it, "That's all your's Ves, I think you are the only one here who can read gobs, right? Oh, I think I've finally deciphered and figured out how to read those old Dwarvin runes on my 'blueprint' and the dwarf pamphlets." Jaq goes to check how heavy this magic box thing is.

(Jaq already got a cool ring for loot. Not remembering what Joe and Lurn got. But someone other than Jaq should get dibs at statuette. Once we figure what it does, it might make sense to give it to whomever it helps out the most. Kroshav hasn't received anything yet. The stick seems more like a utility item that will help the entire party in certain circumstances, so doesn't really matter who has it. However, Jaq does want to experiment with the stick and how you make it work exactly, the next time we are resting somewhere safe.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:13 am

((ooc I'm guessing it's an immovable rod of some form, which is cooool, but we should definitely check IC))

Ves will worry some more and consider the weather (ie does it seem like rain is on the way?)

Survival: 1d20+5 = [19] = 24

((Noones got druidcraft, do they?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:01 am

((It'll be handy for drying clothes...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 am

((Or a fire in pinch!))

The night is clear and the stars twinkle to Ves' eyes.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:21 am

((missed this))

Jaq picks up the small wooden box and finds it to be a bit heavier than expected. It looks to be made from some sort of dark hardwood and is highly polished. It's wider than it is tall but still fits comfortably in his palm. A quick examination reveals a small '+' looking hole on one of the shorter sides. There are no visible seams or hinges.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:23 pm

"Once we are out of this gully and somewhere a bit more safe, I will try to get this open for us. Hopefully there will be something of use inside." He will tuck in into his pack, in the open area where there are three less bottles. :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 pm

"Keep an eye on the weather tonight. If it gets cloudy, we should probably pack up and move one. If we get rain it'll be bad."

((Based on past experience, would she be expecting rain at all? Like, is this a climate where rains are likely / happen at particular times of day?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:51 pm

((Rain would be uncommon but not unheard of this time of year. It tends to rain more in the early spring and during the fall until it becomes snow during the winter. No particular time of day for rain so far inland...unless you are planning a picnic at a certain time, then it will rain for sure.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:59 pm

((great, then she'll worry a bit but go back to sleep))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Ves completes her watch, nervously scanning the nearest wall top as well as the sky, sniffing from time to time for rain. After two hours she wakes Jaq and falls quickly into a fitful sleep.

Jaq rises from his trance and keeps a keen, though much more relaxed, watch. Things are more more quiet in the ravine than in the forest and, other than a stone (or something else hard) falling from the wall to the ravine floor, the watch is completely uneventful.The sun rises though the night holds on longer in the ravine due to the walls.

Jaq perception: 1d20 = [17] = 17

((New day! What you doing?

NSF- I rolled Jaq's perception to keep things rolling, I know he has at least plus 1 on perception but a 17 cut it!)?
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.