Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:46 am

"I prefer a camp under the sky than staying in this place."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:52 am

A very slight smile crosses the vampire's lips at Ves' comments.

"It is and you are most welcome for my not turning on you. I do not believe I will give you cause to regret."

Jaq moves past and gathers all his unbroken arrows, which oddly enough, are exactly half though shot rounded up. Triss shakes her head at the suggestion of staying in her old room but says nothing as she moves south to the entrance room and quickly disappearing into the darkness. Jolly gives her plenty of room as she passes and once she's gone whispers,

"Some distance from this place would be nice." He looks after Triss and whispers, "and some from her too."

He seems to have slightly recovered from his funk.

((It's evening but down in the valley darkness will come earlier.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:20 pm

"Let's go and set up a camp before it gets too dark to see what were doing."

If the group agrees, Ves will return the group to the secluded campsite they used the previous night and set about preparing a meal for everyone.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Outside is good.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Outside is good.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:55 pm

Joe would like to finish her ritual but agrees that coming back tomorrow would be better. As a group they head back the way they came to the large altar room and stairs. They find Triss standing at the very edge of the top of the stairs, a long line of sun light in front of her. She doesn't turn as the group approaches and gives a slight nod as they pass saying,

"I will find you tonight after I have eaten to complete my promise before I depart."

Once up Ves quickly orients them and has them on the way to their last campsite outside the small valley. A cursory glance around the ruins shows that things are unchanged except their fires have burned out.

Before the group have cleared the lip of the valley shadows have already fallen across it creating an early night. Once out of the valley the sun is still shining a bit through the trees and they find their old campsite with a view of the ruins. Faint smoke trails still rise from the fires and any fires they saw the night before have been extinguished.

Ves quickly sets about making a meal for the worn-out party.

((Anything else? Otherwise just the perception rolls from the standard watch and a wisdom save for Jaq :).))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am

My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:05 am

Kroshav still feels jelly-legged, so doesn't make it as far as his usual latrine digging, he just goes to bed.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:35 am

((just as a point of order, Ves would always be thoroughly extinguishing their fires before breaking camp. She knows about wildfire risks! :lol: ))

Ves sets about making camp again in their hidden spot, collecting wood and water for the night and starting a fire to cook over before turning in. She'll take her usual night time watch.

Perception: 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 am

perception: 1S20+2 = 1S20+2 = 3

Wisdom: 1D20 = [19] = 19

Jaq will scout around the campsite a bit, seeing if he can find any berries or plants to add to the meal.
Survival: 1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11

EDIT: just noticed my first roll, perception, was with a typo, 1S20 and it seems like it still worked. Wonder what an S is in CoyoteCode. Or did it not work and just become 1+2=3 because it didn't know what the S was?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:03 am

((Reroll the s perception roll, it just gives you a 1 instead of the roll))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:26 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:42 am

After a hearty meal provided by Ves and supplemented by a few berries harvested by Jaq the group settles in for the night. Jolly has gone back to a sullen silence now that their lives aren't in danger. He finds a spot by the fire and eventually dozes off. Kroshav barely finishes his meal before crashing hard. Joe flips through her books a while before sleeping and Jaq and Ves follow close behind.

Lurn is on high alert after the days events and mostly notices the same things as the night before, how quiet the valley seems. He doesn't see any sign of Triss leaving the valley by the only path they've found in and out and hears some wolves in the distance, probably a few miles away but they don't get closer.

Ves is woken for her watch and doesn't spot Triss and hears the wolves faintly. She thinks she spots a few bats but the thin moon is covered by clouds before she catches sight of them again to be sure. After the events of the day it's an uneventful watch.

Jaq
► Show Spoiler
Jaq is startled out of his trance by Ves who tells him what as happened, which is pleasantly little. Jaq feels slightly uneasy but can't place why. He doesn't hear any wolves but after an hour he hears a light flapping before Triss appears beside him. She is wearing different traveling clothes of very high quality and a deep red travel cloak and looks...stronger. She even has a better color to her face but all her other skin is covered. She gives the sleeping companions a glance before smiling at Jaq and whispering,

"As promised, here are the things I found which may be of value to you."

She pulls a sword from her under her cloak along with a small bundle and passes the to Jaq.

"This," she pulls out a small coffer the size of two clenched fists and hands it to him, "as well."

The coffer is quite heavy for its size.

"Give my regards to your friends, I must begin my journey quickly. I wish you all luck and you may seek me if you ever find yourselves in the north."

She steps back and a bat immediately takes her place and disappears into the night.

((Jaq can ask a question if he would like.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:47 am

"Thank you for being a good companion. I am glad we were able to release you from the room. If we ever do end up going north, what city might we ask in to find you?
Good travels, Triss."

Jaq will place the items down by the campsite. He will open the coffer out of curiosity, wondering if it is coins or something else inside. Once he knows, he will close it again. He does not check out the other items yet. He will await everyone else waking before doing that.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:44 am

"I live in Malad, in the Kingdom of Firth. You can ask for Lady A'lish."

Jaq opens the coffer and finds a solid gold, platinum and silver miniature building of some sort.

The rest of Jaq's watch passes without incident and the sun rises, again glowing like gold on the peaks. No mist settles into the valley with the ruins.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 am

When the others awaken, Jaq will inform them of the late night visit.
"Triss stopped by as she promised. And has left us quite a bit of goods I think, for releasing her from that room. She also told me where she lives up north and that if we ever get up there we can ask for her if we want." With a smile he adds, "We seem to have a made friendly ally, although a rather unique one."
He points over at the pile of goods. "A sword and other items, I haven't looked at them at all yet, thought we should all have that pleasure together, and a coffer. I did look inside that, it's a small model of a building made from precious metals. It's heavy."

To Lurn, not exactly trying to be private, but not announcing it to everyone, "Lurn, last night while I was in my meditation trance, my dreams were troubled. They usually are not. Sort of a dark presence at the corner of the dream. I'm guessing it might be caused by this curse. Or I think it might be my mind telling me that I can't delay too long in dealing with the curse. Once we are done here, I don't think I can get involved in anything that will keep me from getting to a temple soon."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 am

((How's Kroshav feeling?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:27 am

Kroshav stretches awake with the dawn. He sits up slowly and smacks the morning taste away from his mouth before tentatively reaching for his warpick and giving it a lift...and finds it as light as normal! Whew! He also generally feels much better.

Ves also finds her strength has returned to her. Joe still has a vague taste of dirt in her mouth that just doesn't want to wash out.

((Triss had given the information before to Lurn and Ves, but it is always good to repeat it!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am

Kroshav is much more his chipper self this morning, and goes out to dig a quick latrine for morning usage.

Returning to camp, he has a look at the sword, checking it over for quality of craftsmanship.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:17 pm

It's a longsword and a quick eyeballing shows it to be of high quality but a bit ornate. It looks to be old and has some nice etching work up the blade. The hilt has gold and silver inlays. At least it doesn't have gems.

((Joe would probably have hit it with a ritual detect magic so she can start on that. Anything in between?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Kroshav gives it a few swings to check the balance before handing it over to the Cap'n for detect/ identify.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Once Joe is ready with the detect magic, he will ask her to go over everything that was brought over by Triss.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Joe wraps up her ritual and identifies that the sword and clothe bundle, which was a cloak when shaken out, are magical. The sword is a blend of abjuration and necromancy and the cloak is illusion magic, and gray with faint darker gray stitching.

The little building is not magical but Joe, using her archaelogist powers, places its worth in the 1,500-4,000 gold range depending on the buyer.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:49 pm

"So what's it do?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:55 pm

Joe shrugs and says something piraty that translates to attune them and find out.