Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:20 pm

"I'll come if you want, sure. Just needed to be sure you weren't expecting more than I can offer."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:06 am

Joe and Ves awaken the next morning as the horizon just beings to glow with the signs of a new day to what sounds like one of refugees coughing up a lung. The refugee clears their throat loudly and spits before repeating the process a half dozen times over the next five minutes. Before he is done a half dozen babies or small children are awake and crying.

Tom grumbles half asleep, rubbing his face as he sits up,

"Someones gonna kill Mally. Horse's ass does that every morning." Cassie nods blearily and wipes hair from her face, yawning.

Tom looks first to Ves and then to Joe where his eyes widen,

"Ya sleep well...um...Joe? Wha' happened to ya face?"

Cassie looks over and her breath catches as she tries to keep from laughing.

((New day! Doing anything special today or just taking it easy? ))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:37 am

“Yes, I will be happy to have you come along Lurn. Thanks.”

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:54 am

”Eh?” Joe pulls out the mirror to look at her face.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:03 pm

Lurn grudgingly accepts Jaq's offer/request and the pair of them head back up the road to the west. A short walk later they are standing outside a simple fence around a handful of large tents slightly separate from the others in camp. The fence and tents are guarded by no fewer than a two dozen heavily armored elves. As the pair's intention to approach the tent becomes clear two elves level bows at them and another elf calls,

"Identify yourselves."
---
Back at the camp Jolly sits and invites Kroshav to join him and the others, Indra, Jesp and Arbelm excluded, to play cards. As Dama pulls Jolly down beside her near the fire and pulls out a deck Kroshav hears a polite clearing of a throat from near the road. Turning the dragonborn spots a dark skinned tiefling woman in the twilight wearing light colored robes, hard to saw which color in the low light. One sleeve of the robe falls covering her right hand while the other is uncovered. A small symbol is embroidered on her left shoulder but she is too far away for it to be made out. Once she has Kroshav's attention she smiles and gives a bow of her head and says in convoluted common,

"Kroshav, you are known as he?"
---
Joe pulls up the mirror and finds she has grown a wispy, but still rather impressive, beard.

Tom's lips twitch and he leans over to Ves and whispers loudly,

"Thought Joe was a lady?" Ves just laughs.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:20 pm

" Jaq'maerrin Nailo, and we're here at the General's request."
He states clearly and shows that his hands are empty.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:55 pm

"Lurn. Jaq's accompaniment."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:22 pm

"Known as he, I... Ah, yeah, that's me.", Kroshav stands, inclining his head to the visitor.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:01 pm

”Wha’ in tha feck happ’n’d?!? Who d’d th’s ta meh?!? Ye gott’ way ta g’t rido it?!”

Joe tries to use presigitation to get rid of the beard.

(Ah the belt of dwarvenkind. I thought it was it. It was one of the items I thought Maji could have used to great effect, and been funny if he was a bearded dragon.)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:57 pm

The guard addressing Jaq and Lurn orders the bows down and steps forward to inspect the pair, first Jaq and then Lurn. Jaq vaguely recognizes the man but doesn't know from where exactly ((int roll if you'd like)). Apparently satisfied the guard nods and waves the pair forward before saying,

"The general will be in a planning meeting for a short while longer. You may wait here until he is available."

The guard ushers the duo to a rotted log that looks to be serving as a waiting area. The guard then gives a shallow bow to Jaq and a slight nod to Lurn before turning and walking back to his post. The two are not alone, three other guards patrol nearby and are clearly keeping an eye on them. Distant voices come from the largest, nearest tent.

((Roll me perception for Jaq and Lurn please.))
---
Those around the fire notice that Kroshav is talking to someone and quiet down to listen in, Arbelm rising from where she was cleaning her weapons.

"Grynistri, I am known as she. He known as Sir Tarneth sent she known as Grynistri to get he known as Kroshav. He known as Kroshav will follow she known as Grynistri? Grenmyr is the place of destination."

She waits patiently for Kroshav's response.
---
Joe's beard becomes cleaner and more full of life from the prestidigitating but is firmly attached to her face, like it grew there.

Tom looks mildly embarrassed at the attention Joe is attracting as many of the surrounding refugees look on in interest now.

"Always got my razor? Tends to get the job done well enough..."

((Not sure I would allow the beard to grow on a dragonborn as they aren't mammals, same with the rest of the reptilians/amphibians and the bird species.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:35 am

Perception: 1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11

Lurn chuckles, "You'd almost think they're worried we'll do something. Maybe I should've made myself look smaller and less frightening."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:58 am

From the little that Lurn can catch they are discussing where parts of the army should go. He is pretty sure he hears the general's voice, though he isn't able to make out enough to get what he is specifically suggesting.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:46 am

"Well, you are an intimidating figure, my friend." Then Jaq just sits quietly and waits, watches, and attempts to listen.
Intelligence/remember: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9

Perception: 1D20+2 = [15]+2 = 17

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:06 am

Kroshav turns to Arbelm, "Corporal? This is Grynistri, Sir Tarneth wants me to follow her to Grenmyr.. . . I think."

Now that he's up, can he make out the symbol on her robe?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:22 am

Joe conjures a razor. ”Can ye show me how?”

(Beard of scales)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 am

"I'm actually quite small for a firbolg, and I like to think I have a rather friendly face. Convinced those weird bugs and the spider things, and the centipedes too, that we weren't enemies, at least."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:21 am

Jaq tilts an ear towards the tent can make out two sides of a discussion, one side wants to pursue and eradicate the hobgoblins and their 'allies' and the other side wants to send in smaller detachments to scatter the larger groups of hobgoblins while the main force remains stationed near Grenmyr. The general asks both sides for clarification on their points and their responses should certain things happen. After another ten minutes of debate the general calls the meeting to a close stating he will decide after consulting with his advisors. A dozen individuals, mostly elves but a couple of half elves and humans file out of the tent but Jaq and Lurn aren't called in for an additional ten minutes when a human and two half elves depart. The guard from before ushers you into a well lit tent containing a large table and over a half dozen chairs. The general stands beside the map with a pair of guards beside him. He smiles as he sees Jaq but the smile fades slightly before smoothly returning on seeing Lurn,

"Excellent that you could come so quickly Mer Nailo, and you brought a friend?" He draws out the friend so it is clear he is looking for an introduction at the very least.

((To be fair, the centipedes didn't really have faces and the strange spider things were pretty terrifying.))
----
The tielfing woman smiles and bows her head to Arblem.

"He who is Kroshav has spoken truthfully. She who is Grynistri will guide he who is Kroshav to the place of Tyr in the place known as Grenmyr. Will he known as Kroshav be allowed? Will he known as Kroshav follow she known as Grynistri?"

Arbelm blinks and nods after processing the questions.

"Fine, he will need to back before morning - if he wants to go with you."

Kroshav spots the golden scales of Tyr on the woman's robes now that he is closer.

The tiefling looks expectantly at Kroshav.
---
Tom clears his throat and thinks through the process to describe it.

"Well... when it gets that long ya got a cut it down with scissors or shears if ya ain't got scissors. Ya able to make scissors too? If ya can ya should cut it short as you can then ya use a sharp razor...an ya know what I can just show ya when ya got it cut down a bit."

He starts rummaging around in a bag beside him.

((That'd be a fair more painful experience to shave off!))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:38 am

"General," Jaq nods his head respectfully in greeting, "Yes, this is my friend, Lurn. He has proven to be a fine fighter and a priest of Kelemvor. He is fighting alongside me in this conflict and I thought he might have some insight in whatever questions you might have for me."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:54 am

Kroshav nods eagerly. "Do I need to bring anything?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Joe nods and conjurs scizzors, the razor disappearing. She cuts the beard as short as possible.

(It probably would be but Joe has no idea how to shave)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 pm

The general takes in Jaq's introduction, small smile remaining unchanged before simply nodding to Lurn and saying,

"General Grelinav Mer'Nonavin of the Duchess's Third Army. A pleasure to meet you, Lurn. May I be so rude as to ask if you have been Stenrek recently? I ask because a firbolg matching your description was recently involved in some... unpleasantness."

The general's eyes are now locked on Lurn's.
---
"The one known as Kroshav may bring the items the one needs! But the place of the god Tyr in the place known as Grenmyr has all he known as Kroshav could need thinks she known as Grynistri."

She waits for Kroshav to gather anything he needs before turning to lead him towards Grenmyr. As they walk
quickly she conversationally notes,

"Was he known as Kroshav in the presence of knowledge that two more of those known as dragonborn are in the place known as the camp? The one known as Grynistri spoke with both these not known as Kroshav before finding he known as Kroshav!"

She laughs lightly, but says with a hint of concern,

"We who are to the place of Tyr in the place of Grenmyr must hurry as many bits of the time have been lost! She who is known as Grynistri wishes not to be scolded by she who is known her master or he who is known Kroshav's."
---
Once the trimming is done Tom prepares some warmish water and soap and says,

"Like this."

And proceeds to demonstrate on his right cheek and jaw without a mirror.

"Now ya try."

((Give me a... sleight of hand roll please!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Kroshav grabs his shield and sword, leaving his armory of throwing items behind. At the last minute, he grabs his warpick too. For nostalgia.

"Sir Tarneth mentioned there were a few others, but I haven't seen them yet, sorry you had to look so long to find me! I can run if Grynistri wants me to run."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Lurn gives a slight bow as he's introduced, arching an eyebrow at the question, "My pilgrimage carried me to many cities in recent times, including Stenrek, but I left through a main gate, in full view and unmolested." The large man shakes his head, "Besides, surely no faithful cleric as myself would do anything untoward."
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:49 pm

”Like this?” Joe tries to mimic the motion, looking at the mirror while doing so. If she gets samaged (hp loss) and the razor disappears she summons a new one.

[1d20+4] = 8+4 = 12

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:34 am

The general answers Lurn with a flat tone,

"Most assuredly not."

And then asks,

"I would suppose that you left the city gates, unmolested and in full view, what was it, three and a half weeks ago? To continue your pilgrimage?"

A servant arrives during the tense moment with a tray of food and a pot of what smells like herbal tea. They freeze in the entrance but the general doesn't gesture them away while he waits for a response.

((Feel free to roll insight if you'd like, or if deception if you decide to go that route.))
---
Grynistri nods,

"He known as Kroshav has no fault in the one known as Grynistri's bad finding skills! Though, the one known as Grynistri would thank he known as Kroshav to jog, yes."

The pair jog past a number of tents set up along the side of the road until they pass into a clear stretch that must have been set up as a buffer between the military camp and city. Kroshav gets his first close look at the city lit by lanterns and torches as they approach. It looks as if the city grew up on both sides of the river though much on the near side of the city is in ruin. At the edge of the city the pair are briefly stopped by guards in city uniforms near what, recently, was probably a wall. On seeing Grynistri the the patrol wave you on.

Through a gap in the ruins of the wall the true level of destruction becomes apparent, nearly every building has been razed to the ground. A few stone chimneys mark where homes and businesses must have been but otherwise building stone and burnt wood stretch into the darkness on both sides of the cobblestone road Grynistri follows. After a short jog the pair reach a wide, stone bridge spanning the rushing river. Looking both north and south Kroshav can make out the outlines of what were probably other bridges that have fallen. Another patrol greets Grynistri as she leads onto the bridge, which by the blood and damage, looks to have been a central point of the battle for the city. The air over the bridge is much cooler and water droplets have formed making the jog slightly slippery.

The east side of Grenmyr looks to have survived in far better shape, a stone barricade having been moved to the side on the bridge's east side. Yet another patrol greets you there and they too wave you on. The east side is in better shape but most buildings sport some sign of the fighting and few people, other than patrols, are on the streets despite the early hour. Grynistri skids to a stop in front of a stone and wood temple with a statue of scales before it. She takes a few deep breaths,

"The place of the god Tyr! Come he known as Kroshav."

Inside Grynistri is greeted by a pair of similarly robes individuals and she has a quick whispered conversation, points at Kroshav then points to the side. One of them moves quickly in the direction she pointed and the other approaches Kroshav with a smile. Grynistri calls to Kroshav as she goes another direction,

"She who is known as Rhys will guide he who is known as Kroshav. She who is known as Grynistri will find he who is known as Kroshav again!"

Rhys watches Grynistri go and says,

"A pleasure to meet you. I am told you will need to be taken to a meditation room. Do you need to use the restroom first?"

If he does, she takes him there first before taking him to an empty stone room with a small, dark window and a dozen mats on the floor and no other entranes. As she leaves quickly and shuts, and sounds like locks the door, she calls,

"May Tyr guide you."

Kroshav alone, in the dark hears her slippered steps fade.
----
Joe does a reasonable job removing some of her beard. Tom nods,

"Yep, just like that. Tricky parts round the jaw and neck though. Smooth motions, right?" He demonstrates again, this time lifting his head to get as his neck. "Once ya get the worst of it ya can shave 'ginst the grain for a real smooth feel."

Ves looks on with amusement, as do most of the refugees. Joe suddenly gets the feeling of being watched again. She scans the crowd and sees the angry old woman from the day before glaring daggers at her.

((If Joe is going for the smooth feel give me another sleight of hand roll.))