Shipwrecked!

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13630
Location: Florida

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Ala rolls her eyes at the casual chat about zombies and undead creatures. Hoping she looks more confident than she feels, she straightens her equipment, loosens her axe in her belt and strides out to battle with the villagers, walking at the forefront of the group.

Nothing like zombies for your first real test...

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6615

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 am

Turn 8
Beleak makes a short remark to the wizards before he joins the small group of people gathered around a couple of chests, packing lanterns, oil and torches in them. He grabs the handle on one of the chest together with one of the other guys, and they start moving out of the villlage in a hurry towards the northeast.

"So you're going to march out and meet them?"
"Yeah, better have a bit of trouble now, than a lot later."

"...Yeah, okay. I... Guess we must all contribute, for the greater good and all that stuff."
"With those "greenkins" arround I might as well go with you..."
"I, and the village, would appreciate your help in this fight, but you don't have to risk your own life to help us."

"Do any of you spell-slingers know how to "kill" them? Fire arrows? or just lots of steel?.."
"I honestly don't know"
"I never learned much about undead... I think there's spells that are made especially to destroy them though. But I think clerics or paladins tend to use those spells more often than mages do."
" Well.."" I think if I take this," Holding up his staff, " and bash them over the head with it a couple of times they tend to stop moving... I could also try to fry their guts with a shock spell I know and zap them with cold spell ....But I think the head bashing thing would work better.."
"The old man is right when it is about skeletons. Blades and spears tends to glance of the bones and just continue inbetween them. I'm not sure if there is a certain way that works better to strike down those with flesh though."
The talk continues between Jasper, Cranberry and Sandro.

Morgan calls out to the boss as she readies herself by making the spear more accesible.
"What's your battle plan here?Is there an area that's good to trap them in? From what I've heard of undead they aren't particularly clever, being dead and all..."
"We do indeed have a plan. There is an area to the northeast of here with a lot of rocks and only a few narrow ways through where we intend to ambush them. The people that just left will light up the area in front of that so we can see the undead in the distance. First time we did this, they seemed to just ignore the light and continue on. We'll be ready to smash their skulls when the get out of the narrow paths."

Boldal walks around the village noticing how a lot of people are going back into their houses at the moment. He sees some crates, barrels and chests scattered around the village but they seem empty.

Ala straightens her equipment to ready herself. She spots some of the people geared up are still unloading the carts so she decides to help with the last couple of crates so she can get people ready to leave. A few people closes the door to the storage behind them as they start sorting the things out when everything is inside.
A group of 10 people, the boss and the survivors (except Boldal and Beleak) to get a quick briefing of the ambush.
"When we get into position and the first undead creatures are spotted you count your heartbeat 10 times or 15 if it is beating very fast. You then move out with the guy on the opposite site of you and strike the living dead down as they are about to move through opening. Understood?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
lingrem
Former Mod
Posts: 3947
Location: North of the Middle of Nowhere.

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by lingrem » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 am

Morgan moves her hammer from her backpack, and sticks it into her beltpouch, ready to use it as an improvised weapon if the need arises.

"Might they have learned? If someone's controlling them, wouldn't they have a way to know what went on?" she says to the boss, then goes over to the other shipwrecked survivors.

"Guess we're lucky that none of us have been injured in the shipwreck...this isn't my ideal sort of day!"
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13630
Location: Florida

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:03 am

"Understood."

Ala nods curtly and heads out to the battlefield. When they arrive there, she will say a short prayer for strength and protection of her allies and will position herself so she is ready to engage the first set of zombies that come through.

Preparation:
Readied attack action
+4 to initiative

Following the boss's plan, she'll use Power Strike on the first zombie that she can reach.

TeaWeed
Whispers Softly
Posts: 45

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by TeaWeed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am

Sandro will follow with the others, once he gets to the battlefield he'll spot for any good places to get out of immediate reach, preferably somewhere where he can shoot arrows from.

If the area is too crowded and narrow to get a good shot without endangering the villagers he'll unsheate his sword and prepare to ambush. He will drop his backpack cloak, and scarf somewhere away from the battle to avoid being encumbered whilst fighting.

While setting up he'll flip a coin for luck, and mutter a short prayer to Olidamara ( god of rogues, trickery, & travellers I think)

Ready action to either charge or shoot ( depending on terrain )
+3 initiative
+7 hide

User avatar
I'mBob
Game Master
Posts: 2102
Location: The Holy Land

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by I'mBob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:46 am

"So, what exactly do we do?" Beleak asks the man the carries the chest with him.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11668

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:43 pm

"Y- Yeah, understood." Jasper says, getting into position from where he could try to fire some spells at a relative distance.

(I think my initiative is 0. And that my hide is also 0. And now slowly comes the part where I will have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.)

User avatar
askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles
Posts: 4187

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

boldal keeps walking around completly unaware of what is going on
looking for a drink

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 901

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by Jacon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Cranberry steps forward next to Ala and will use the full defensive to protect himself and also use his movement to flank any undead that attack Ala to give her a 2+ to attack.

( full defensive will give a +4 to ac. This equals 16 for his ac.)

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6615

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:09 am

Turn 9

Boldal moves through the village and is pretty sure he looked in every single barrel outside and found nothing to drink in any of them. There doesn't seem to be anyone around anymore.

The group hurries towards the fight area and meanwhile Morgan talks to the boss
"Might they have learned? If someone's controlling them, wouldn't they have a way to know what went on?"
"I doubt it since, none of them escaped.

"So, what exactly do we do?" The three guys are silent as if they don't know who should answer but after a bit Larry responds.
"We are going to light up a small path in a canyon a bit from here. There is a spot where some high rock cliffy things splitting it up in several different paths. We'll be ready to strike when they get pass us. It takes about 10 seconds for them to pass the light and to the opening in the other end."
When they arrive at the location they put three torches up and light them on the other side of the passages, and moves back through the passages and they climb up on a little plateu 10 ft off the ground with the middle of it going twice as high. Lots of places to get a grib while climbing but the surface is completely smooth on the plateu.

Shortly after they prepared the ambush site the rest of the fighting crew arrives and quickly takes position. (see map, you are the colour you write with, light green is Larry, the pinkish one is the boss, the black the nondescript villagers, yellow dots are torches and the greyed out areas are where the light doesn't shine and the rest is monsters.)

Initiative:
Beleak 21
Ala 21
Sandro 18
Jasper 18
Morgan 12
Skeletons 11
Larry 5
Villagers 8
The boss 7
zombies 3
Cranberry 3 (fumble) (I got a houserule that you lose your first turn in combat with a fumbled initiative which was the suprise round so you are free to act now)

You spot the both skeletons and zombies in the light up ahead but can't quite make out which one is comming first as they block the light. Cranberry is distant in his eyes for a little and does not notice how the others gets ready to fight the undead and is shocked to see a zombie standing right next to him as Ala gets a solid strike on the zombie and seeing an opening she attempts to strike it again (Attack of opportunity) but the sweat in her palms sets the axe flying towards Cranberry (fumble) who is brought right into the battle by a lucky catch dropping his own staff and now standing with Ala's battleaxe.

Morgan and Larry stands together and strikes the zombie moving towards them.
Larry get a solid blow in and Morgan strikes the spear into the zombie multiple times but with almost no effect.

The villagers on the plateu ignites a torch each to help the combatants see on the battlefield and grabs a sling afterwards.

Sandro, Jasper and Beleak shoots at zombies which are not attacked by either Morgan or Ala. Sandro Aimed a bit too high and missed. Beleak shoots the zombie in the passage to the right of Ala it had a slight effect together with the two villagers striking it with daggers. Jasper shoots the one further to the right than Beleak and let out a small "Yes!" as he his bolt firmly lands in the head of the zombie. Seeing how unphased the zombie is he quickly remember that they don't really care about their own brains anymore. (critical hit on a monster that can't be critically hit.
Skeletons arrive behind the zombies.

Image
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

TeaWeed
Whispers Softly
Posts: 45

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by TeaWeed » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:22 am

On Sandro's turn he'll jump down from the plateu try to do a barrel roll to avoid the worst of the fall, and charge the leftmost Zombie, preferably so he flanks it.

Does any of the undead carry any distinct markings or bits of armor to set them apart? And where they all humans before being animated?
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by TeaWeed on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13630
Location: Florida

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:34 am

Stunned by her own imcompetence, Ala roars at the skeleton and attempts to Bull Rush it off the cliff (diagonally towards the top left). moves diagonally back and left (south-west) so she's directly in front of the zombie and will grab her axe back from Cranberry. In case taking the axe back is a minor/free action, she will attack the zombie normally (with the axe) if at all possible.

Initiative: +4
Attack: +3 (strength)
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6615

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:49 am

thinkslogically wrote: attempts to Bull Rush it off the cliff (diagonally towards the top left).
NOTE: if she can't do that because of the drop off, she'll move one square south first then bull-rush the zombie instead. Hopefully the attacks of opportunity won't hurt too much!
I might have been unclear, but you are at the bottom, the cliffs are 300 ft high as I tried to indicate by the map, so you would push it into a wall
Last edited by Theis2 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11668

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:56 am

► Show Spoiler
"Oh shit oh shit oh shit... Badger? Is it time for the badger yet? Just tell me when I have to summon the badger okay?!" Jasper says, shooting off another arrow at the same skeleton.

1d20=3, 1d8=2 (I probably messed up with this, somehow... I just know... :roll: )

"Err... Damnit, I should have used my mage armor spell on one of the guys down there! They could have used it."

"Ugh I'm sorry, the sight of actual undead is just..."

User avatar
askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles
Posts: 4187

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:30 pm

boldal walks around town completely unaware to what is going on
hey ! anybody here !!

User avatar
I'mBob
Game Master
Posts: 2102
Location: The Holy Land

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by I'mBob » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Beleak gets out his bow and shoots an arrow on the zombie/skeleton that is near the villager who is next to Ala.

+5 to attack. (+4 basic, +1 for point blank shot).

Can we make the rolls to our self without invisible castle, or do you make them?
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13630
Location: Florida

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:57 am

Oops! I thought they were drops going down! Will edit my post :)

User avatar
lingrem
Former Mod
Posts: 3947
Location: North of the Middle of Nowhere.

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:49 am

Morgan calls out to those around here "I am definitely not prepared for this! My spells are useless against these!" and then she aims as carefully as she can at the zombie's neck.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

TeaWeed
Whispers Softly
Posts: 45

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by TeaWeed » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Sandro yells out to Morgan over the din of battle, his voice strained from his melee with the zombie "You aint got any spells against this...?? I have barely two feet of steel and a bunch of frayed nerves..Wanna swap?"

It is clear that Sandro has never been a warrior, he strikes at the undead much as a fencer would, but lacking the strength to cause significant damage to such a target deprived of pain and vital areas.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
lingrem
Former Mod
Posts: 3947
Location: North of the Middle of Nowhere.

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Morgan yells back "Nope! Not a singly bloody one! Got some healing spells, and can call forth a critter... but nothing that'll hurt these blighters! And my spear seems to be rather useless!"
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11668

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Jasper remembers something of his studies... Yelling down to Morgan-

"Undead are damaged by healing magic! ...I think!"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13630
Location: Florida

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Overhearing the yelling between Sandro and Morgan, Ala yells,

"If you can't damage them, try and use your spear to pin them down! If you can't do that then get out of there! Back us up by healing the wounded and keep everyone who can do damage alive! WE'll do what we can to hold them back! ...Assuming we can all keep hold of our own stupid weapons..."

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 901

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by Jacon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:25 am

Cranberry stares at the axe in his hand and bursts out laughing. Chortling to himself he'll move up one and hand the axe off to Ala.
Ah! That was fun. Reminds me of my juggling days in the kings court!" ( If handing off axe was a minor action.)
He'll than step back to where he was and picks up his staff.

( I think that works for a turn.)

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6615

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 am

Turn 9

Beleak shoots a zombie, almost hitting one of the villagers fighting it. The arrow stuck to the zombies arm but it did not seem to inhibit it in any ways. Ala and Cranberry quickly work together to get Ala her axe back, and the slow zombie does not manage to take advantage of the opening. Ala on the other hand strikes it with her axe and the force from the blow pushes it back towards the skeleton that trying to claw at Cranberry as he left himself vulnerable as he handed the axe to Ala. A loud crack is heard from the skeleton as the zombie tumbles into the wall catching the skeletons arm in between. The zombie afterwards just falls down.
Sandro takes a look around and sees the boss is fighting a skeletal wolf but the rest of the line seems to battle zombies with a skeleton behind trying to join the fighting action.
He Jumps of the cliff and succesfully negate the impact with the ground by rolling. He then storms off to the left to help the lone villager and he's suprised to find a skeleton rather than a zombie there but none the less elegantly strikes it with just enough force to dent a few of the ribs.
Jasper quickly loads his crossbow but in his haste he accidently triggers it as he is about to pull it up to aim. The bolt breaks as it hits the ground below him.
Morgan attempts to strike the head of the zombie, but limiting herself to such a small target made it too difficult for her to land a hit on it as she strikes the air above it. (you actually didn't get a penalty you just rolled very badly)
The skeletons attempts to scratch those they can reach, but have trouble to reach people from behind the zombie but some manage to succeed. Morgan left her self a bit vulnerable and was struck (4 dmg) by it. Cranberry relieved to see the zombie dead and one claw of the skeleton dislocated from the body were not ready enough for the second claw coming his way (4 dmg) as the skeleton stepped forward to take the spot the zombie occupied before.
The zombie is ready to strike Morgan but is interrupted as Larry crashes his axe down into the shoulder of the undead and forces it down to the ground where it stays.
Morgan sees a stone flying in and hitting the skeleton putting a big dent in the skull of it.
Morgan sees the villager behind the Larry getting knocked down by the zombie.'
Cranberry pick up his staff and as he stands up he swings it at the skeleton breaking a few of the ribs but it's still standing but slightly shaking.

Image
Boldal walks around seeing the same 10 houses again and again, and yells out but no answers arrive.
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11668

Re: Shipwrecked!

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:11 am

"Damnit! Okay, enough fooling around- Another bolt." Jaspers says, grabbing another bolt, and firing a bolt at the zombie almost straight ahead of him.

1d20=14, 1d8=6

Post Reply