Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:58 am

Edited a charm roll into my latest post. Charm since the options are Charm or Guile, and... Neither really fits well for this. As far as I feel, guile is more about trying to use... Clever wordplay or subterfuge or outright lies to get your way. Charm would be... Acting in a way that appeals to the target? Neither really feels quite right, but charm is a bit better. And my stat is higher.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:21 am

Vader if you like, you can contribute to Alex' charm roll.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am

Koa can't beat a 21 :shrug:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 am

I'm counting this as a cumulative effort. It'll add to it. :)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Hm! Roll added, then

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Koa: Team Charm's Charmuscle.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:38 pm

Missing one action for both groups... I'll take substitutes :o

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:11 am

I have nothing to contribute.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:42 pm

I'm not sure how to roleplay this game. I designed Bjorn to be a hothead, an introvert, a physical kid adept in the outdoors but out of his depth dealing with other people. And I didn't realise that this game was going to be so storyline heavy, I thought we'd just be galloping around catching mons and taking on gym leaders. So every main confrontation like this with so much dialogue I'm trying to play like Bjorn, and he'd basically be standing there awkwardly letting other more charismatic or intelligent people do all the talking while he clenches his fists and wishes he was off in the wilderness somewhere. He has negative detriment to his Charm, his Edu Tech etc, so all of this is WAY over his head. Should I modify how I roleplay him? Or just keep sticking to it and hope we head out to the wilds soon where he's in his element?
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:24 pm

I feel like the odds are low to be getting out in the wilds; Even when we do, things tend to go really quickly.
My game:

My characters:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Yeah it's obvious this isn't gonna be your standard pokemon fare of a game. If you're not comfortable with your character at this point, then something should probably change - either the way you roleplay him or a potential character re-roll, like how Burns and Sam switched out theirs.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:52 am

Yeah see thats not really what I wanted :-/ I just wanted a casual catch mons and battle, go on small adventures type thing. Like the Pokemon series. So I wanted an antisocial type that was more comfortable on the road than in a city or with others. Unfortunately I've had a pretty stressful past few years and I just wanted something I didn't have to invest a ton of brainpower into, I already unfortunately had to drop out of Dlover's game which sucked coz I loved my character there and I ran out of time to invest in RPGs. I am just struggling to keep up with WTF is going on because there's sometimes thousands of words in an update, and tonnes of NPCs etc.

Anyways, I am still enjoying it, and I like my character and character development with Luna etc, I don't really want to reroll or change him because this was what I really wanted to do all along and I've already rerolled one class for another. I just feel a bit bad being a passenger so often when it comes to heavy dialogue moments, I'm struggling to know who is who and Bjorn would really have nothing to add, dialogue wise. I'll just keep pressing on.
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:04 am

Hah, yeah, sorry to hear that. It's definitely not a "regular" pokemon game, I'll give you that... Being unable to do a simple game might be one of my faults. I like to consider it as trying to do what I am best at though, that being weave an intricate story. Although at times perhaps a bit too much...

I'd say "things get better", but yeah, honestly probably not. After this things will cool down for a bit again, give a bit more freedom, chance for smaller adventures. In time I would definitely describe this as a (heavy) story driven game though, so that would be coming back in due time.

I should probably learn that not EVERY encounter needs some kind of convoluted backstory though. :roll:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:32 am

You're not the only one who doesn't keep up with everything, Synch. I only read the things Alex is there for, so even if our characters would fill each other in during downtime I generally just have no clue.
My game:

My characters:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong M0rt, what you do is excellent! I have never played an RPG that is this complex with such a fleshed out story and environment and NPCs EVER. And I'm sure for some people thats perfect. I was just expecting more like Pokemon the TV series and this is more like Final Fantasy with pokemon, which takes a lot of brainpower.

And admittedly when I signed up I had a lot more simple RL and a lot less stresses. Unbelievably this game has been going for 6 years and since then I've changed jobs, had changes in job roles, bought a house, had two kids, been diagnosed with depression and now trying to renovate house to sell it! Thats a lot of RL to go through in the history of an RPG, and the only time I get to really focus on this game now is after I clock off at work, or on lunch breaks. But I do enjoy this character and the game, so I'll just make sure I don't get so despondent about not being as involved in conversations or knowing what's going on.

And I'm so gutted that I had to drop out of Dlover's game, I absolutely loved Risu/Squirrel and her Aerans. I wish I could go back and rejoin but I imagine too much time has passed.
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:34 pm

Hah, I understand. Yeah, this has been going for a while, hasn't it? Things change, my own life has gotten busier as well though not nearly to such scale. Hope you're doing ok though. And it isn't a huge issue, Bjorn might very well mean well, but be a bit overwhelmed with everything.

Also, if you (or anyone for that matter) ever have questions or doubts about the world, just ask. Assuming it's something your character ought to know, I'd have no issues clarifying.

Speaking about hoping they're doing ok, hope Sam manages to get through his own RL rut. Still missing actions for him, but I'll just get to doing what seems best in given situation tomorrow then.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Honestly, only like two in-game days have passed since you dropped out of my game, Synch. You were already fairly far ahead with Risu, and there've been a lot of times where I was too busy with assignments or exam prep - or straight up just feeling out of it - which have caused large delays in the game.

For this game, there's also the option of Bjorn deciding to get into the conversations even if he doesn't have the best understanding, or even if he's not the best talker.
For example, in one of the D&D games, my character only has +1 to charisma, but he sure as heck talks.
My game:

My characters:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Dlover wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:18 pm Honestly, only like two in-game days have passed since you dropped out of my game, Synch. You were already fairly far ahead with Risu, and there've been a lot of times where I was too busy with assignments or exam prep - or straight up just feeling out of it - which have caused large delays in the game.

For this game, there's also the option of Bjorn deciding to get into the conversations even if he doesn't have the best understanding, or even if he's not the best talker.
For example, in one of the D&D games, my character only has +1 to charisma, but he sure as heck talks.
Ooh, maybe we can work out some way to slip Risu back into the game somehow! My kids are 4 and 2 now so things are getting a lot easier than when I had a 2yo and a newborn!

I often feel like making hotheaded remarks or Bjorn's observations, but I don't want to play him dumb like Minmax and I don't want to escalate things and ruin the situation for other players.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:33 am

There are ways to pull off hotheadedness without being dumb or ruining things. Alex, for example, has been rash enough to mouth off to multiple gods now. He hasn't exactly been saying anything that good rolls would warrant giving a pass to. And hell, Bjorn is probably smart enough (or has enough survival instincts) to not tell a god they're a useless failure. But he can still be impulsive! It's just a matter of working out what he'd say and when.

As for getting back into my game, we can certainly sort that out. I'm in one of those lulls at the moment (Moderator work for a roleplay site has been eating away my desire to write much, and updates can take an hour or so), but I'm always happy to have another person enjoying the things I work on.
My game:

My characters:

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:03 pm

M0rtimer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:04 am I should probably learn that not EVERY encounter needs some kind of convoluted backstory though. :roll:

What do you mean, between everyone's backstories every encounter has at least 2-4 convoluted backstory to it.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:49 am

Hey, does anyone have any concerns about letting Spark reach the tower's heart/mind by using Irene's body as a conduit?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:21 am

I have concerns about the Spark in general, especially so about letting it use someone as a conduit, and double that for accessing a big fancy mind magic thing.
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:39 am

I'm not sure how long Irene was attached to the spike the first time, but I'd like to make two attempts at reaching the tower's mind before letting Spark go through my character.
Not long, like ~10 seconds at most.

...Felt longer, though.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Yeah I am suspicious of Spark, but overall from what I've seen I don't have any real reason to be. It's prudent to be wary still, but as far as I'm aware Spark has never mislead the party.

We're not allies, our goals just seem to line up for the time being.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:08 pm

I like sparky and I kinda trust it but I wouldn't go as far as to trust it to possess anybody.