Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Nah, I don't think you've established any of those before.

Also, it is now that I realise even though Alex has agreed to going out pokemon hunting, there aren't really any that we wants to capture. Guess he'll act as support if there's a fight.

Actually, considering that, I don't suppose I can convince you to let me gain misc EXP for roleplaying Alex's reluctance to capture pokemon that he doesn't intend to keep? It works better than having to capture and release them for DexP.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 am

Only if you make a whole dramatic play about it, breaking out in song about how pokemon life should deserve to be free. :roll:

As a more serious answer... Game mechanically I should say no, because you can't know for "sure" you'd be able to capture it, and you're not using any pokeballs. OOCly, I do agree.

Let's say it's possible to capture, and then release a pokemon before it gets sent to the box, still granting you that "checkbox" in the dex..?

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:26 am

That was basically what I was already planning to do with Izzy. Use Pokeballs as insta-KO attacks, then release the Pokemon later. Being able to get them out of my box immediately would certainly make that easier though!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 am

Doing a whole song and dance would be completely out of character for Alex, don't be ridiculous.

I like the sound of that, though. Can actually gain DexP without the whole issue of "But I don't actually have any use or desire for this pokemon, so I'm just capturing it for the sake of leveling up. And that doesn't make sense for my character to do, in any way."
I mean, there's still a question of why they would want to capture and immediately release a pokemon, but it's better than actually capturing them, heading all the way to a pokecentre, and releasing them from there.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:32 am

I mean, obviously the pokedex has an actual record list of pokemon you've captured- The whole "gotta catch em all" isn't just for show, you know..? Even if Alex isn't super interested in being a collector, the fact that little checkmark exists might be enough motivation to do the capture just in case there's actually something important linked to it rather than just a collection list... :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:44 am

My excuse for Izzy catch-releasing was the tactical advantage - it's basically a OHKO, so can be more effective than any attack against wild 'mons. Take them out of the fight, then release them once it's over.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:47 am

Yeah, we've previously established there's like a ten minute cooldown before pokemon are transferred to the actual box, allowing you to select another one to send instead and/or stuff like that... (Initially I wanted it to be that you had to arrange that up front, but ah well) That should be plenty of time to do a direct release instead if preferred.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:51 am

Taking a pokemon out of the fight is probably justification enough.

As for those little tickboxes, it depends. Can Alex use them to impress people?
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:57 am

Maybe? Well, getting literally every box that's on there (with exception of legendaries ofc) ticked would probably be one of the biggest achievements a trainer can get... :P

Showing off your ten ticboxes probably isn't that impressive though. :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:58 am

Phhhht I can see a trainer with only one very common mon in thier dex just showing everybody their dex and showing them how special it is, without getting through thier skull that it's not really special and takes sarcasm as complements.

Also only has that mon. Every single pokemon they get is that mon, and refuses to evolve them, if it could evolve..

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Random idea, what if get a "Pokemon researcher" set that included things like a scale, rulers, and a few random things to test out a pokemons attacks, like a thermometer to measure hot a a fire attack gets, or a little ph test kit for water attacks. And through a series of checks we convenience a pokemon to co-operate, or knock it out and just dump it on the scale and by collecting all of that information we can get the little check mark?

Part of how it can be balanced is having it take time to get all of those measurements, and more charm checks because what wild pokemon wants to stand still for half an hour as a weird human pokes it?

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:48 am

M0rtimer, you forgot me :(
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 am

No idea what you're talking about :shifty:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:52 am

Are there any shaded areas around, or any nooks and crannies, or really anywhere that might make a good hiding spot for a sneaky pokemon like Greninja? The fact that there's frog pokemon here is a good sign, but probably not good enough for the literal ninja frog if there's nowhere to hide.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 am

Would you want another Per check if Izzy decided to try and spot what the birds/scyther are hunting?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am

The "cliff" basically exists out of a whole bunch of loose rocks, so it's not unthinkable that some of those might work as a hiding spot, and maybe even be arranged into a small cave like structure..?

I won't lie, if you'd want Koa to reach the 100% ideal spot so he has as little chance as possible to have to retry, he'd know going all the way until the river starts flowing into the forest/marshes would be the most ideal spot... But it's probably too far to reach as is, unless you don't mind only returning back to the city when it'll be getting dark and miss the whole event that's being hyped for literal months now

Dusk, depends- You might get a look if you want to fly up/closer with Kay, but unless you'll go real close it's going to be a high check considering the tall grass...

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:23 am

Hmm, would there be a spot that Koa could set his bait that would be out of reach of the Palpitoads? They have Jump 2/2, but without arms they probably aren't very good climbers, unlike Greninja who actually have Wallclimber.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 am

You can try and set it up some higher rocks if you want to give me some athletic rolls to try and get on top of them, hopefully out of reach... The toads WILL smell it though, and will definitely be interested given they share the same diet.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:59 am

Maybe we just beat up the toads first, to scare them off?

This is Dusk talking btw, not Izzy :lol:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:09 am

My worry is that will alert any potential Greninja hiding nearby, and it won't come out.

Maybe if I have Kinhe set up some Toxic Spikes under the baiting spot, to deter the toads from approaching? :shifty:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:15 pm

* = The description of Rank 1 Specialized Cooking says "you may choose to craft bait tied to a specific pokemon diet" but I'm not entirely sure how specific that means.
It just means tied to one specific diet, so herbivore, carnivore, omnivore... But you've done enough prep work it's definitely going to have a bigger chance to attract specifically what you want. :P

...Though, thinking about it, that means that Ludicolo and his friends will also probably be interested... :roll:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:24 am

Question about the Specialized Cooking book! Koa would've had enough time waiting for the Bait to do its thing that he could've read the Rank 2 part of it, but I'm not entirely sure what it means either.

Rank 2 - Expert intuiton: You get a +1 bonus to all checks against a pokemon who has eaten diet bait of his appropriate diet.

Does this just mean skill checks, or does this include accuracy checks as well?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:26 am

Yup! Accuracy checks as well.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:58 am

M0rtimer wrote:You got lucky on a couple rolls here, but hey, the mighty dice have spoken ;)
Might I ask what rolls have been made that I got lucky on? :shifty:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:00 am

Sure. First was the roll to actually get the right pokemon in the first case (Increased odds aren't a guarantee), and then the possible level range was low enough you could still have ended up with a frogadier rather than a greninja... Which wouldn't have been the end of the world, but still. :)