Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Recruitment/Interest Thread for the Immortals

Post by Quarg » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:38 pm

I think you are right you either need to have a pepperbox or be using alchemist cartridges to get down to a free action...

The Mathias Breech Loader is designed off an RL weapon with the breech pictured
► Show Spoiler
Essentially it consists of the breechblock with a pre-loaded pan of gunpowder, main powder charge, and bullet that is simply slipped into place, the breech locked back down, the weapon fired, and then remove the old preloaded block with a new preloaded block...which is a free action...
vs how a real cartridge could take...

However, I don't mind your character having the ability to shoot a whole damn lot...I just dislike how they went about designing it.

I have a mod that might work in mind...but I need to ponder it overnight...
With there being only one real fighter and no mage...well, having a second damage dealer with the group makes sense... ;)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:36 am

Hey I am a mage! Kinda...

Um...so hit points, are we just takig max or what?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Hey I am a mage! Kinda...

Um...so hit points, are we just takig max or what?
Ah, yes max...and your a bit of a cross really...you summon things...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:45 am

Sync
So I see two ways of working this problem...
The first is to get two tribarrel pepperboxes and then a specialized magic bandolier that can reload both as a standard action...(Total cost would be about 9,000) but you'd also free up a feat because the reloading would top (You'd likely loose an occassional shot due to mechanics also)

I'm also willing to consider creating breech loading rifled single shot that can load an alchemical shell as a normal swift action that drops with rapid reload to a free action.
They would automatically have to be masterwork and rifles so they would be expensive each do 1d8 and range of 40 ft. This would cost 7,000 for the pair. (I realized all pathfinder rifles are inherently breech loaders anyway) (The other special weapon allows you to forgo rapid reload also but is more expensive in the end)

I am limiting the benefits of alchemical shell loading to getting below a swift action to breech loading weapons only...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Quarg wrote:Sync
So I see two ways of working this problem...
The first is to get two tribarrel pepperboxes and then a specialized magic bandolier that can reload both as a standard action...(Total cost would be about 9,000) but you'd also free up a feat because the reloading would top (You'd likely loose an occassional shot due to mechanics also)

I'm also willing to consider creating breech loading rifled single shot that can load an alchemical shell as a normal swift action that drops with rapid reload to a free action.
They would automatically have to be masterwork and rifles so they would be expensive each do 1d8 and range of 40 ft. This would cost 7,000 for the pair. (I realized all pathfinder rifles are inherently breech loaders anyway) (The other special weapon allows you to forgo rapid reload also but is more expensive in the end)

I am limiting the benefits of alchemical shell loading to getting below a swift action to breech loading weapons only...
Sorry for being ignorant Quarg, but I really know little about firearms so all the terms are a bit confusing!

#1 So with the tribarrel pepperboxes I can fire more and need to reload less, but its a standard action so I would need to take a round to reload from bandolier?

#2 Is the second option a pair of one-handed rifles? Or just pistols with rifle-like loading? I'm a little confused. If they are rifles I wouldn't be able to use them, a pistolero is only proficient with pistols. Unless I go plain gunslinger...

Basically, I'm trying to devise a way of being a quickdraw with dual pistols, and trying to work out how to fire both as much as I can in a single round. Alternatively, I could just have one single decent pistol and instead focus on being a lot more accurate and dealing more damage. Not sure whats best for party synergy / damage dealing.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:45 pm

With limited funds up front, you could have really good single pistol rather than two mediocre ones, or one decent one and one poor one. If it were me, I might go that route, but make sure that you have prerequisites in place to be able to go dual in the future once you can afford a good 2nd gun and take any final feats needed?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Okay,
The first one the idea is that each round you fire as much as you can from either tribarrel and then use the swift action reload of that magical bandolier to reload the weapons. The majority of the cost is from having to upgrade that magic telportation to teleport up to six rounds into each tribarrel.

Rifled means to have groves which gives the bullet spin. So any fire arm can be rifled (though for scattershot weapons it is pointless because the balls can't get spin).
So you can have a pistol that has a rifled barrel without it being a rifle...(Pathfinder's "Rifle" is a 19th century metal cartridge weapon similar to a falling block apparently which is waaaayyyy to future for right now...)

The second option gives you breech loading, which means the bullet and powder is put into the breech of the weapon rather than stuffed down the muzzle. Besides meaning, for long arms, not having to stand to try and load, breech loading can be faster, especially for rifled weapons because early rifled weapons required a greased patch to exist between the bullet and the grooves in the weapon.

And maybe I'm just bringing too much Defense Engineer to my GM role here...

Either option allows you to maximize the number of shots per round with a pistol...
The first depends on a rather powerful magical item,
The second does not and actually benifits you by having a longer range on effective Touch Attack...but also can't take a damage enhancing feat to replace rapid reload.

Spider
Pathfinder really does not have a huge price differential between good and poor weapons...the real diffrential in the standard is between 'modern' and early....

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:44 pm

I haven't really looked at the tech weapons, I was thinking mdore from the enhanced magic stuff.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks for the explanation Quarg, all makes sense now.

I think I'll go with the second option; I'm not so keen on pepperboxes or multibarrels, and I like the idea that Makita couldn't hold his rifle steady or get as good aim as he used to so modified his rifle into a pistol (and then presumably made another along the way.) Given one arm is weak, it will also explain why he is not as good at shooting with his offhand. Also frees up some cash for ammunition and maybe a magic item etc.
Are they flintlock, as in +2? or masterwork wheellock?
Last edited by Synch on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Re: Recruitment/Interest Thread for the Immortalsng

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Actually, accuracy has nothing to do with str (but it doeshelp with kick back on some weapons). Accuracy is determined by your...eyeness. One eye is your dominate and one is not. For instance even though I am left handed I am right eyed so I shoot from my right because my left is less accurate.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Keep them at the current price but both are flintlocks but only get a +1 to damage...

And Burns, firearms in pathfinder use dex.

(My problem is my dominant eye is my nearsighted eye making me have to use scopes or prescription shooting glasses)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Re: Recruitment/Interest Thread for the Immortalsng

Post by Synch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Actually, accuracy has nothing to do with str (but it doeshelp with kick back on some weapons). Accuracy is determined by your...eyeness. One eye is your dominate and one is not. For instance even though I am left handed I am right eyed so I shoot from my right because my left is less accurate.
Thats bullshit :P Its not just with 'eyeness', its a range of things like trigger control, breathing control, steadiness, etc. If one arm had shakes and tremors, or cannot grip a gun steadily, obviously you will shoot worse with it and less accurately than with your good arm, regardless of eyesight.

Either way, Makita Pantalion is also missing his left eye so him being less accurate is justified, regardless of weak arm :lol:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Quarg wrote:Keep them at the current price but both are flintlocks but only get a +1 to damage...
And +1 to hit, or +2?
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:13 pm

And only +1 to hit...they do leak gas back at you...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:47 am

Breathing control does help out a lot, I will admit. And you do not ever want to shoot if your hand is shaking. And always with dnd and pathfinder range weapons is dex. I was getting at that he'd be naturally less accurate from one side. Now more so because he is a pirate.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I was getting at that he'd be naturally less accurate from one side. Now more so because he is a pirate.
That's exactly what I was getting at too :) His left eye is missing and has less feeling / ocassional tremors in his left arm so he is less accurate with that hand, hence the off-hand stats being worse when dual-wielding.

And he's a Pistolero, not a Buccaneer :) (Yes, there is a Buccaneer archetype where you are a pirate with a blunderbuss, or pistol/cutlass, and at later levels you get a parrot or monkey familiar :lol: )
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Huh. I did not know that. Why is it limited to humans though? Are they saying no other species can be a pirate?

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:29 pm

Well, all races can also be a Swashbuckler, which is a bardic archetype I believe. I think thats just a flavoured racial Gunslinger archetype. They also have Bushwackers for kobolds, and Experimental Gunsmith for gnomes.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:20 am

I will be targeting trying to update twice during the week with once during the weekend.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Quarg, I'm all done with my character now, if you wouldn't mind proofing everything. I took the liberty of changing cloak of Resistance to Eye Patch of Resistance because my character wouldn't wear a cloak, and I wanted the eye patch to have some magical property :) Let me know if you object. (I am actually tossing up between an item of Resistance, and a coat pistol I can conceal on my body :)

Everyone else, I need advice with my last feat I need to choose. Its a tossup betweem Deadly Aim, Precise Shot or Rapid Shot.
Basically, its either doing more damage on all shots with slightly less accuracy, firing into melee combat without penalty or having an extra attack. I'm leaning towards Precise Shot, especially since I'm a trickshooter.

EDIT: Quick link to my character is in my signature below :)
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Arg is the only real melee party member, but he'd appreciate you sniping a guy he's fighting without missing and zipping one by his head.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:57 pm

While Dra'kan is the only melee snake. :lol:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:13 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Arg is the only real melee party member, but he'd appreciate you sniping a guy he's fighting without missing and zipping one by his head.
Yeah you'd have to assume a performing trickshooter would be able to shoot around you, and not through you :lol:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:24 pm

You need to note your pistols are breechloaders
And eh, I really have no problem switch from one slot to another and since eyes are a slot fine...Though the hat sounds better...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr