Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Post by Quarg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:43 am

Amara wrote:So from my understanding of your writeup
If this is a "rider" type, her true alignment would detect when it is not active, yes?
The alignment of the soul in control is the one that appears to you.

The "rider" would have to become an "Agent" and relinquish control back to the native soul...

A native soul with a very good education in how to manipulate souls within a body...
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Hmmm....do I have anything else I can use to throw down? I want to know before I go to phase 2, which involves summoning the largest amount of largest creatures from summon monster from the air and bombing the ship while I feather fall into the water. (since I can't summon monster and have dra'kan out at the same time)
Only what gear you have on you...But none of that would be all that effective.

And both those ships are moving, though much more slowly....so your quickly going to loose range if you do it while feather falling...
spiderwrangler wrote:That's about what I expected for his javelin attempt. ;)

Couple questions to clarify Arg's next actions.

How much distance separates the decks of the two ships (and will they be getting closer, given another round)?
about 30 or so feet...but the ships are not getting any closer as the pirates have lost 4/5 of their sails now actually the Ferry is now dragging them via the mast.
How many gunslingers remain on the pirate ship (I believe his Martial Flexibility giving him DEF against firearms is still active, but want to weigh options before turning another combat feat on).
There are six humans armed with axe guns, seven hobgoblins armed with bording pikes, and two goblins armed with swords all in the pirate forecastle facing you.
Makita saw the crewmen get trapped by the falling mast, has Arg seen this too?
Yes, Arg would have noticed this but I just wrote his focus on the bastard shooting at him.
How far is Arg from the goblin attacking the captain (and did he notice it boarding the ship)?
Not far perhaps five to six feet, but on the other side of the mast so you'd have to jump over it to attack. (Or within easy 5 foot attack reach but only if you don't screw up a fairly easy acrobatics roll to get across.

Actually if I can have Speaks and Makita's actions first...I'll make a partial update since most of the pirates are higher in initative than Arg
Last edited by Quarg on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:46 am

How far up am i in the sky?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:54 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:How far up am i in the sky?
Well, I treated Dra'kan as a native flyer who instintively knew to dive bomb...so...Dra'kan after the last bombing run is somewhere about 40 feet above the ships...

However they are moving still at about 2.5 knots or 4.2 feet per second, so they would move away from you at about 24 feet per round if you feather fall...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:20 am

Yeah, 30 ft is a bit far to jump between two moving ships. ;)

Can Arg tell if the crewmembers are alive/conscious?

Right now I'm leaning towards going for the goblin, but I'll hold off if you're doing a partial update for the higher init combatants. The goblin might be dead by the time it comes to Arg, or other targets may be within melee range. Otherwise, he might try to help the crewmembers out from under the mast (he can deadlift 920lb :shock:).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:02 am

Actually they are both unconscious (because they were the bullet sponges previously)

Please spoiler all OOC comments in the main thread...

And burns both the mast and the rattlings (which are the ropes on the outside of the ship that go up to the top of the mast and let sailors climb up, are acting as independent bridges, which one do you want to hit with grease)

Six of the pirates are trying to get out from fallen rigging but none are stuck under a mast or yard arm like the large crewman and his fellow...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:06 am

I want to grease the rattlings first. Then later I will grease the mast.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:32 pm

It would make more sense for Makita to shoot people and Arg to rescue trapped people, but I really don't want to get in the way of Arg and combat. Although, Captain is at risk of being killed... Or I could free guy with swivel gun....
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:03 pm

Don't worry about Arg, just do what seems best and I'll assess based on what has or hasn't happened.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Okay, tbh that wording is still ridiculously confusing. But I am a bit brain fried at the moment.
Because from how you worded it originally, it SOUNDED like you were trying to say that the "rider" type functions like classic possession actually does in both D&D and pathfinder. IE, soul in control = alignment detected, and the one in control may relinquish control to do such things as bypass alignment locks and evade detection (and even body hop once inside where they want to be...).
And now that answer feels like it's talking around my question :b Unless you mean that as "no it can't, and also this"

That said, threw out what I have for now..answer/result. will impact my post.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:13 am

Amara wrote:Okay, tbh that wording is still ridiculously confusing. But I am a bit brain fried at the moment.
Because from how you worded it originally, it SOUNDED like you were trying to say that the "rider" type functions like classic possession actually does in both D&D and pathfinder. IE, soul in control = alignment detected, and the one in control may relinquish control to do such things as bypass alignment locks and evade detection (and even body hop once inside where they want to be...).
And now that answer feels like it's talking around my question :b Unless you mean that as "no it can't, and also this"

That said, threw out what I have for now..answer/result. will impact my post.
I wasn't trying to talk around it. I was just pointing out that if a "rider" relinquishes control (back to being an agent) then the host has to relinquish control back to it unlike a "Rider" who gets the upper hand on a soul the first time. And if the Rider wasn't wanted in the first place, then they are likely not going to get back control. (Which is different than how Pathfinder and D+D do it I suspect) So the host is unwilling to do so, the rider is stuck or has to move into another container...

And the answer to your post is simply there is no evil detected within 30 feet of you. But there is a dim evil aura coming from the cook's direction. (I'm making the decision that you can differentiate between the presence of evil and the former presence of evil in the first round.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:27 pm

a 16 inch diameter, 60 ft piece of pine is 2930 lbs,
Arg is going to be able to move it about all of 2 feet this round...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Well the rattig people will move only a fourth snd are flat footed due to grease and soo the mast people will be as well

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Is that accounting for him only lifting one end (presumably the narrower diameter end) of a beam? (Physics class torque problem ;) )

How much is it hanging over the ferry? If he's able to shift 2 feet of it off the ferry each round, it may be worthwhile if he can reasonably get it to the point where the boat will be free, and it's an extra 2 feet each round the pirates have to walk across...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:19 am

Tossing out a quick update for that, then.
Ah
I entertained brief notions of trouble I could get in to with a grappling bolt
then very quickly decided against it as my own internal wisdom check dictates that that would be a terrible idea while on a ship.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Is that accounting for him only lifting one end (presumably the narrower diameter end) of a beam? (Physics class torque problem ;) )
versus the mass of all the pulleys, yard arms, platforms etc attached to it also...I didn't try to turn this into a physics homework problem for myself.

How much is it hanging over the ferry? If he's able to shift 2 feet of it off the ferry each round, it may be worthwhile if he can reasonably get it to the point where the boat will be free, and it's an extra 2 feet each round the pirates have to walk across...
The mast complete is 60 feet long with 35 feet between the vessels and 10 feet left on the pirate ship leaving a total of 15 feet. Note that masts are not single pieces of wood but are usually stepped upwards. So at a point there is a joint between the upper and lower mast that if separated can divide the mast into 1/3 vs 2/3 or at about the 20 foot mark. But the Hobgoblins and kitsune are in the way at the moment of accessing that.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:45 am

OK, he'll try this round then, perhaps try to make it a bit more unsteady for those crossing on it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:16 pm

Er...Heal as a spell is a level 6 for inquisitors isn't it...yea 5th level inquisitor?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:34 pm

sorry, I should have specified cure light wounds. Thought I had, but I guess I blanked out. I meant heal in the sense of "I am going to partially heal him and be on my way." Though I thought it was still implied by it being a single 1d8+5 (vs heal, a level 6 spell, granting +10 HP per level flat) but I have now edited the post to specify cure light wounds.

And this is why books on various programming languages have to put functions in special text because they otherwise get confused for normal english.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Cure light wounds on the woman it is...will edit accordingly.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:09 pm

The large crew member has been shot at least in the shoulder, what is his status other than that? If he seems relatively sound, Arg may enlist his help in shifting the mast off the deck.

Also, if any of you (Speaks/Burns?) have Bull's Strength castable, that would put Arg at STR 25...

*Edit:
Quarg wrote:a 16 inch diameter, 60 ft piece of pine is 2930 lbs,
Arg is going to be able to move it about all of 2 feet this round...
Actually, Burns, I think Speaks cast Ant Haul on Dra'kkan earlier? If Arg can shift the mast 2 feet with his current CC, Ant Haul would triple it, allowing him to lift 2,760lbs as a max load.

There were 15 feet overlapping the ferry, he's shifted it 2 ft, so there are 13 ft left... Ant haul would presumably let him move it another 6 ft, possibly more if any sailors can help too... with only 7 or less feet overlapping, that might be enough for the second ship to pull free (since less overlap would mean less of a hold on the ferry... at the risk of introducing *physics* into the game, if the ferry is hauling the other boat by the mast, there should be a tipping point at which it'll pull free the last few feet on it's own, dumping them into the drink).

I certainly understand if you'd rather not spend your turn doing something so my character can act, so not a problem if you opt for something else, it just struck me as a possible way of ridding ourselves of the pirate menace.

**Edit:

Now if he had both Ant Haul AND Bull's Strength cast on him, he'd be able to lift 4,800 lb...

I'm also seeing that pushing might allow for up to 5x max load? Not sure if he'd be in a good position to push on the mast, but even without buffing, that would be a serious amount of weight to be able to shove...
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:29 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:The large crew member has been shot at least in the shoulder, what is his status other than that? If he seems relatively sound, Arg may enlist his help in shifting the mast off the deck.

Also, if any of you (Speaks/Burns?) have Bull's Strength castable, that would put Arg at STR 25...
Unfortunately he took a hell of a lot of damage while you were below deck, he's one of the ones trapped and unconscious (and bleeding out) under the pirates yard arm that came down with the mast.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:51 pm

I don't have bull's str, but i have ant haul.....I am going to grease the mast....unless you think ant haul on you is better?

Can drakan do a grapple check against the kitsune? even though they are the same size?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:00 pm

I'm probably trying too hard to fight smart. Ought to just start punching people. Greasing the mast sounds like a good plan to me.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I don't have bull's str, but i have ant haul.....I am going to grease the mast....unless you think ant haul on you is better?

Can drakan do a grapple check against the kitsune? even though they are the same size?
His CMB would be Base Attack Bonus+Strength Bonus + Size modifier +d20 against the kitsune's CDM so you just need to use the appropriate modifier...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Oh okay, I was not sure because of how grab was written though now that I think of it, it says if I made a sucessfull attack it has to be smaller than him..... so okay Drakan will grapple.