Immortals in the Serene Court (Hurrah! 13.8)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Re: Immortals in the Serene Court

Post by Synch » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:08 am

► Show Spoiler
Makita drops his smile suddenly. He produces a deck of cards from his sleeve and fans them out on the table face up in a single quick move as a retort. "There you go! And you know damn well where I stand with that damn Son of a Troll! Just give me one bullet..."

He sweeps the cards up in another motion, then rolls his sleeves and slams his hands wrists up on the table, hoping that he can muster every ounce of strength to stop his left hand from shaking.
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Re: Immortals in the Serene Court (Boating Round 2)

Post by Amara » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:45 am

► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:23 am

Aajej
Ignores the steward so he just continues onwards...

A few minutes later a sailor appears in the cabin, and stops at her booth. "Compliments Ma'm, but the Skipper would like a polite word or two with you when you have a moment..." is all he says before heading back up the ladder out to the main deck.

Jager
Apparently mulling the floorboards Jager is interupted by a short, hefty woman with bright red hair. "Ain't you the doc wor' ov'r sailor rest?" Before Jager can even answer he is inindated with questions, "I got a pain her' in ma lower back...nah what caus'n it? My Ant Nelly says it cau'se I don't eat enough ell, but I 'ate ell...and she got a bunyan da doc done told her to have lopped off but she ain't leeting no rich man's blowback cut on her so sir...Nah why you head'n this wa'y, I thin' it dat Melora girl...be'ta she done got preggers ca' she been playing tom cat again eh?"

Makita
The merchant actually seems to be physically pushed back by your response. But he eyes you and gives you a narrow smile for a moment. His eyes are obviously thinking about something. "So is that why your in Navadia? Come to put a bullet in the Troll even if it would start another damn war? He leans forward, "What the hell happened on the other side of that Bridge
► Show Spoiler
. Because I'm not going to be the one cleaning up your mess like poor Lieutenant Roland
► Show Spoiler
did last time."
► Show Spoiler
Arg
The sudden question by Mr. Val seems to have changed slightly and become a hell lot less Merchant like. More like a Pit Boss back in the ring keeping the players fighting fair or training them.
But obviously they are talking about Urgnach, that the man with the eye patch claims he wants him dead. Mr. Val thinks that would cause another war. Which does not sound very Orc like at all...but then Urgnach is not an ordinary Orc.

Speaks
"Is your employer the one who paid for your passage? As far as I know no arrangements were made between the skipper and himself and definitely not me for a performance." He steps under the counter and then looks back at the pair. "Who is your employer since I didn't recognize him and do you have any documents on this arrangement?" He walks over to the corner and aranges some items. "As for you..." He looks at Dra'Kan, "Seldom does anyone summon a creature with such demonstrated intelligence without malign activities in mind. But technically there are now three of you and we were only paid passage for two...but I'll just use the bird rule and leave it be." He pours out hot water into one small container and then more into two larger containers.
Last edited by Quarg on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:35 am

Speaks fishes out the documents and gives him the name of the employer.

"I play as a dragon, or whatever serpentine they need. Does that count?"
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Annoyance sparked in Jäger before the second thought (and realization) arrived that... he did not recall seeing this woman board. Red hair--it practically glowed like fire through the orange lenses of his glasses--yes, he remembered that. The...dwarf, from before. Male, however.
Of course, it was entirely possible he had missed her; he hardly had a habit of trying to memorize every face in a crowd, and yet...
No. This could be another trick, another trap.
"I cannot speak of patients I have seen or am to see," he spoke quietly, voice not leaving its earlier monotone. "As for lower back pain, that is... typically a symptom of bad posture."
A stalling tactic. He let his eyes close briefly. Real, or not? If this was an illusion, more trickery, then her appearance might distort when he opened his eyes again, or she might not be standing there at all...
He was grateful again for the dark lenses. There had been other passengers, and he had hardly studied them closely. Four women, he...thought, aside from the elf. He'd been distracted upon arrival. Perhaps she had been one of them. "And you might recommend to your...aunt that she acquire new shoes. Avoid pointed toes or a tight fit, this time." His eyes opened, and finally swept back toward her proper.
He wasn't certain whether he hoped she was merely an apparition, or not. Perhaps being beleaguered was preferable to appearing a lunatic in a confined space with a group of people.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Amara on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Makita pulls his wrists away, dropping his left arm under the table again and twists his face in a grimace as he snarls.

"My mess?! You know damn well none of that was my fault, I did everything above and beyond what I should! That fortress would not have fallen if not for me. And what happened on the other side of that Bridge stays there." He hoped the dismissal about the Bridge incident was enough to hide the fact that he couldn't remember a thing, nor wanted to.
► Show Spoiler
He takes a deep breath and lowers his tone. Stupid, no point in getting angry when it could blow your cover. You've already run into one old acquaintance, who knows who else could be listening in. "I'm here in Navadia because I need a change, and coin. Not some vendetta. Surely you have heard of the Black Hawk, the sharpshooter Marko Ribero!" He lifts his hat to Val'dar with a grin, echoes of his grandeur slipping through the cracks of his guard, and gives him a knowing look that his moniker is merely a guise, either to escape the past or to hide.
Last edited by Synch on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:30 pm

As the one eyed man's tone turns ugly, Arg steps forward, a snarl forming on his lips. He looks to Mr. Val for an sign of what his employer wants him to do. If halted, he will stop and hold his position. If gestured to intervene, he'll grasp the stranger's forearm.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:11 pm

If Arg grasps Makita's forearm, Makita will Quick Draw his pistol from his holster with his left hand from under the table, cocking the hammer and pointing it directly in Arg's face. His hand trembles ever so slightly, but still noticeably.

He will continue with his dialogue regarding Navadia and his moniker with a grin sans hat tip (Arg has his other arm!) while looking at Val'dar, but will keep the pistol firmly pointed at Arg the whole time.
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:47 am

► Show Spoiler
I. OOC: Apologize for silence and missing things.

II: Try to ask him "Now?" before the sailor completely gets out of earshot. (if the other passengers are starting fights, probably good to give them some room).

III: Check possessions in case anything happened to them while she wasn't paying attention and make sure Simoom hasn't wandered off or tried any mischief.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 am

► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:08 am

Aajej
"At your earliest convenience is how he put it Ma'm...he's on the tiller at the moment..." is what the sailor said.
The only thing of interest to distract Simoom is the talking, flying snake thing. Which does have Simoom's undivided attention. Though he has not yet moved to investigate but is sniffing rather rapidly.

Jager
The woman, who has obviously not been detered by his abruptness sits down for a moment, uninvited. "What kind of shoes would a proper woman wear that are not tight on the foot?" She asks, apparently either wanting to start a conversation or completely clueless to the wider world outside her confined view.

Speaks
"Ah I have heard of them...yes...and I do not doubt that you could play a part...ah...sir...but that is not the question..." The steward takes the paper and then looks up. "If you would be so kind take this..." He points to a small tray that he has placed a large metal pot with a spout, a smaller spouted pot on the top of the large pot and a metal mug on. "...over to that tall gentleman with the glasses while I read this? Say two copper? Also inform him the charge is a silver for the tea."

He then begins to read the documents and pulls out another tray and puts another mug and small pot on it while he does so.

Arg and Makita
Val'dar or Mister Val just raises his hand and says "Bej 'Ij loS" (Wait,Watch and Listen) to Arg.

His eyes bore into Makita
"Senior Warrant Officer Pantalion hero of the Battle of Thunder River Red Fort and acting captain Second Marksman Company, First Imperial Rifles..." he begins in a mono tone "...awarded the Star of Valor. Was recommended for promotion to captain and a Knighthood in the Order of the Font. Also the commander of the single greatest loss of units under his command, standing at 100% of all officers and soldiers at the Battle of the Brandywine. There are no known survivors of his last command. His orders to leave Lieutenant Roland and twenty one men and woman of his command behind to hold the old Marville Farm Bridge is seen as either the luckiest or most blessed move in Imperial Military History." The voice finally pulls a memory out of that head, Master Sargent Val'dar of the First Imperial Rifles.

He sips his ale and then talks a bit more quietly, "I had to clean up that mess...I mean yeah, against five Cohorts of Orcs how in the hell are two reinforced companies supposed to hold? But damn it we gave you command of an entire company of rangers, you should have seen an ambush or that they had gotten hidden on the ridge and warned us. But no, nothing for a glass and a half (an hour and a half) and then suddenly Orcs pouring down that road out of the woods on the top of that ridge with only twenty one rejects you didn't want to deal with between them and the backside of second, third and forth Corps."

He stops and looks out the small porthole. "But Roland held, twenty one against what five thousand or more? Eh, he didn't panic and he bottled them up trying to cross that bridge. And he wouldn't have done it if some of the able bodied camp followers hadn't joined in. We had to posthumously enroll sixty five of them so they could be buried with full honors, including Ann [Memory check]. Roland held for just three quarters, but we got companies there just before he fell. In the end it was him alone, standing on that bridge breathing some cold fog out at them...trying not to collapse from the bolts and arrows that studded his body."

He turns and looks back at you. "Hide? I'm surprised the ghosts of those who bodies of your last command, left mutilated and headless in the woods haven't cast your body into a living hell.." He bends father forward, his eyes locked on your eye patch, "...unless that Orc tale of a "special warrior" striking you down with the first shot is true..."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:49 am

"Speaks is not your servant, human."
"Dra'kan! This man wants some time to process the paperwork."
"Still he has no right to treat you as inferior, he could simply asked you to wait."
Speaks facepalms. "Excuse me sir. Habanik mantanis vort braka Dra'kan, kecks va gron."
► Show Spoiler

"Nih bin dra ka nix ra.
► Show Spoiler
" Dra'kan looks annoyed.

"Sorry about that sir. I'll do it."
Speaks grabs the tea and goes over to the man.
"Sir? Your tea is ready, it costs one silver."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:49 am

Arg stops his approach and waits, alert to the conversation about people and places he doesn't know.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 am

► Show Spoiler
Aajej just gives him a slight nod and glances over at the standoff before slipping her backpack back on (and securing her bow and quiver upon her person since they don't fit in the backpack) and standing up. The cabin was definitely beginning to feel a bit small.

"<Simoom, come>" she says, starting off to follow the sailor abovedeck. While his back is turned, she quickly slips one of her switchblades into a pocket so it won't be out in the open (Sleight of Hand, I have a random number generator (the one thing I actually know how to do with a spreadsheet) or I can go fold an impromptu die (there's a dodecahedron I've been wanting to try for awhile that should make a lovely d20) but I can't really link to either of those and I don't really want to start up another account at the moment).

"Get yourself a good pair of boots." she says quietly as she passes the booth with the chatty redhead. (Since it's a small cabin, everything not said so that everyone won't happen to hear should be in earshot without actively eavesdropping?)

Simoom is deciding whether to feel curious or threatened by the strange flying snake creature.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:39 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:38 pm

"I would assume shoes with a proper fit," Jäger replied. "With proper toe room." He was certainly not much of a conversationalist, and didn't like being intruded upon; the calm monotone of his voice did not reveal the latter. Not an illusion then; she was, fortunately or unfortunately, real. The elven lady's brief addition was actually welcome. He nodded absently, attention turning toward the voice coming from his left, and...below. His gaze swiveled, then adjusted, and lowered until he could see the goblin. That hadn't quite been what he had been expecting, though he did seem to recall the goblin boarding. "Right," he said simply, and reached for his coins.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:54 pm

"Thank you sir." Speaks puts the tray down and pours a glass for him before going back to the steward.

"Here you go, one silver piece."

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:37 pm

► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:11 pm

Makita winces, his left arm trembling. I give up, just tell him the truth. "You think those ghosts don't haunt me still? You think I don't suffer? Of course I would have stayed and died with that young fool Roland. But I didn't. I awoke in a monastary with no idea who the fuck I was or what happened." He gives a wry laugh. " 'Special warrior'? Sure, if that's what you want to call whoever tampered with my musket. Blew up in my face. But the blame rests with me, for not checking my equipment as I always did. I let my guard slip, and they all died. And now look at me." He holds his arms up in the air, the left arm shaking as Makita's emotion overwhelms his reserve.

"Look at me Val'dar, a ruined man with no prospects who can't even hold a rifle steady, shooting playing cards for coin and sleeping in whatever stable I can without getting caught. I would rather have died on that bridge, with the fame and glory I had earned intact, than wind up like this with the Brandywine my only legacy. But we play our cards as they are dealt, and I wasn't raised a quitter. Hopefully everyone thinks me gone, so I can one day find out who wanted me dead. I have a bullet saved just for them," he says, patting his bandolier pocket. He sighs, and signals the barman for another whiskey.
"Another for you and your friend?"
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Aajej
If anyone notices the blade, they make no comment about it.
Before you can leave the cabin you are confronted by the steward holding a bundle of papers in one hand and a tray in the other. He pushes the tray, with a small metal pot and mug towards you, ÔÇ£Your Coffee MaÔÇÖdam..that will be four silver.ÔÇØ He states dryly.
Speaks
The steward seems to be focused on dealing with the leaving elven lady. He glances at you with a brief smile and nod but is obviously trying to deal with her apparently leaving without paying for her drink order.
Jager
The woman is no longer paying any attention to you. Her focus is now on the elven woman and the steward blocking her path. ÔÇ£I wonder what heÔÇÖs going to do to her. Bet she orderÔÇÖd something expensive and found she didnÔÇÖt have the coin. Same with all these foreign traveling types, got expensive tastes but pauperÔÇÖs pockets.ÔÇØ She rattles off to no one in particular.
Makita and Arg
ValÔÇÖdar just waves for Makita to lower his arm. ÔÇ£You are not the only one who got it bad in that war and at a damn unfair time. Lieutenant Rossco still lives, but he can only eat soup, and doesnÔÇÖt want anyone to know what happened to him at Thunder River. Or how about Captain AvernÔÇÖs widow? Proudest cavalry repost officer IÔÇÖve ever met, but she drowns herself in cheap rotgut and sex these days. ÔÇ£ He looks out the small port hole again. ÔÇ£Yeah, and you were not the only one with an exploding weapon that day.ÔÇØ
He looks up at Arg, ÔÇ£Arg meet Makita and old war...comrade of mine. Makita meet Arg, the smartest Orc who never had a tribe.ÔÇØ
He waits for them to greet each other and then continues, ÔÇ£I donÔÇÖt know if I can help you put the bullet in the bastard who tampered with your gun. But I do know someone who might be willing to help you avoid having to sleep in anymore stables. ÔÇ£ ValÔÇÖdar leans forward, ÔÇ£You had the arrogance whipped out of you the worst way possibleÔǪin my book that makes you more damn valuable ÔÇÿcause I always thought you had way too much of it.ÔÇØ
He looks at Arg, ÔÇ£See if we can buy a good bottle of something Arg, though it looks like the stewardÔÇÖs got his hands full facing off against that elf who ordered coffee and the goblin.ÔÇØ
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Re: Immortals in the Serene Court (Boating Round 4)

Post by Synch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Makita raises an eyebrow at the mention of other sabotaged weapons, and looks down into his drink when Val'dar describes Rossco and the widow.
"War eh, at the end of the day the only winners are barkeeps and crows."

He tips his hat to Arg. "Well met. If Val'dar has you with him I can only imagine your 'efficiency' ", he says with a glance at Arg's callused knuckles.
He turns back to Val'dar. "I am interested, but I don't like to run out on a contract, no matter how trivial. I have an act to perform at the Opera, any chance I can delay your offer until my obligations are met?"
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Since his employer doesn't view the man as a threat, Arg grins at the thin one eyed fellow, "Greetings, Makita. Arg'ak Kro, or just Arg.", he introduces himself with a nod, relaxing his combative posture. He'd learned that even for those humans in the habit of shaking hands or clasping forearms in greeting, very few wished to do so with an orc. And fewer still thought it a wise idea after being enveloped in his grip.

At the prompt by Val, he heads over to the steward. "A bottle of something good for Mr. Val and his friend. Please.", he growls in as cordial a tone as he can manage.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:05 am

"Ah, but what is more useful: a pauper's pockets or the incessantly flapping tongue of a certain redhead?" retorts Aajej without turning around as she fishes out four silver coins and places them in a neat pile on the tray in front of the steward. She then carefully picks up the pot and mug and pours herself a cup of coffee since it appears the stewardÔÇÖs hands are both occupied at the moment. (Does one mugful empty the pot, or will there still be coffee left over afterwards?)

Simoom finds himself and his mistress much closer to the mysterious flying snake creature and does not feel comfortable about the situation at all. Without straying too far away from her, he attempts to intimidate DraÔÇÖkan into keeping far away from himself and Aajej. 1d20-2-4=1

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:47 am

Dra'kan looks at Simoon. "Oh wow. Yes you are a scary thing aren't you? Aren't you?"

Speaks waits on the steward to talk to him, amused with Dra'kan and his new 'friend's antics.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:25 am

Jäger felt a flash of relief when the redhead's attention turned onward, though he found his gaze traveling for a moment back at the elven woman, despite himself. He was attentive as always for trouble, even if paranoia and common sense were battling in his head; there was no reason to assume anything would go wrong during the journey. That, of course, didn't mean nothing would go wrong.