Children of Ash - OOC Discussion Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Children of Ash - OOC Discussion Thread

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:30 am

This thread is for character lists and backgrounds, rules, queries and strategy.

Characters
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Waitlist: Asks, Burns
Last edited by Synch on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 10 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Re: Children of Ash - OOC Discussion Thread

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:31 am

Rules and Leveling/Crafting System
(Backbone borrowed from SCH, thanks so much Spiderwrangler!)

Stats
Players will start with:
Attack: 1
Defense: 1
HP: 10
A profession
Three Level 1 Innate Skills (based on Profession, chosen by GM)

HP may be regained by resting for at least 4 uninterrupted hours. Survivors have a 10% chance to regain 1 HP per turn.

Attempting a task (scavenging, repairing something, etc) will take place in 15 minute rounds, while any characters engaged in exploration or combat will be be able progress through as many rounds as the GM deems reasonable to take place in ~15 minutes (cautiously sneaking \ would take up more of the turn than one round of combat).

Skill Leveling/Crafting
Players can attempt to accomplish a wide variety of crafting and building related tasks. In addition to any component or tool requirements, the task will be assigned a certain number of Completion Points (CP) needed to finish the task based on the complexity of the task (and at the GM's discretion). As such, the more descriptive the player is, the more engaging it will be in terms of the story, as well as making it easier to assign an appropriate number of completion points.
CP will be gained by rolling dice according to skills possessed by the player. The minimum dice roll would be 1d3 for a player attempting a task unrelated to any skill disciplines they have a level in. Many tasks may benefit from experience in multiple skill disciplines, as the dice rolled each round are additive for each level in relevant skills.
Upon completing a task, the player will gain Skill Points (SP) towards that skill discipline. After accruing a sufficient number of SP, they will level up in that skill, allowing them to make higher dice rolls on all subsequent tasks impacted by that discipline.

For example, a player with no relevant skills wants to till soil and plant a packet of seeds. They are considered Unskilled, and are only able to make rolls of 1d3. Planting seeds is determined (by the GM) to constitute a 5 CP task. Since they have no real understanding or skill related to the task, it takes the player 3 turns to till the soil, read the instructions on the packet, make holes and plant the seeds (rolling 2,2,1 = 5 CP / 5 CP needed) to complete the task, and they gain SP in Horticulture and Cultivation.

Another player checks out the vegetable garden, and decides they want one of their own. This player has previously worked on a farm, and reached Horticulture Level 1, and is able to make rolls of 1d5 on all Horticulture tasks. Her skill allows her to complete the same task quicker (4,3 = 7 CP/5 CP needed, any excess beyond the CP needed cannot be applied to other tasks and doesn't affect SP returned). She also gains SP towards leveling her Horticulture and Cultivation skills.

Certain tasks will allow multiple skill rolls to be utilised. Eg climbing a building would use a 1d5 roll from Level 2 Climbing, however if they also have a climbing rope and have Level 2 Ropes skill, they may make an additional 1d5 roll per turn.

Levels:
Unskilled - 1d3
Level 1 - 1d5
Level 2 - 1d7
Level 3 - 1d5 + 1d3
Level 4 - 2d5

Skill Checks
Operating much like D&D, any task which may take less than a minute (eg jumping rooftops, controlling a motorbike on gravel, trying to persuade someone) will involve a 1d20 skill check, 10 being the standard pass mark (although this may decrease or increase depending on the difficulty of the task.) Any skill levels relevant to the skill check will add +1 for every level. For example, someone with Level 2 Athletics jumping rooftops would roll 1d20 +2.

Professions
A profession is your background occupation before the outbreak, and grants three Innate Skills. These skills all begin at Level 1, showing your previous experience in those fields.
As well as experience, your profession gives you a natural aptitude in your innate skills. You receive a + 1d3 profession bonus to any task that involves an Innate Skill. This does not stack if more than one Innate Skill is involved, as you have a natural aptitude to the task as a whole.
You also receive a single +1d3 bonus to any Skill Checks using an Innate Skill or Skills, as well as the standard +1 per levels. So a Gym Instructor with Level 2 Athletics (innate) attempting to jump rooftops would roll 1d20 +2 + 1d3.

Scavenging
There will be a random encounter per area while scavenging, which I'm thinking will be 25% chance of encounter in outskirts and isolated buildings, and 10% per area in the towns and cities. If there is an encounter, I'll roll a d50 while you're starting off, a d75 once everyone has a weapon, and a d100 after a few days in-game.
1-5 is friendly survivor, 5-40 is small critter eg rat swarm, rattlesnake, 40-60 is coyote/dog/wolf, 60-90 is a single drifter/looter and 90-100 is multiple raiders.

Scavenging will be based by area, and the number of areas per building will be decided by me. Some may only be a single area like a convenience store or barn, others may be multiple like a two storey farmhouse.
Loot will be determined by area to have a certain number of items, this will vary rather than be random because I don't want you to have too much or too little, and so will judge it on whether an area is likely to have worthwhile loot. The maximum will be 3 for now. Once people have hit Level 1 in Scavenging I will do a 1d5 to determine how much loot is in each area. The more you level, the more items are available to find.

Finding the loot will be based on your roll. If for example there are 5 items in an area and you roll a 2 for your Scavenging task, you will find 2 items. Someone else who enters to scavenge after and rolls a 4 will find another two items. If you are scavenging together, rolls are not cumulative for finding items (but will be cumulative for completion) and the highest is taken. Items can then be split between the people scavenging. You can scavenge again if you made a low roll or didn't complete the task, and in your second turn you can find additional loot provided you beat your previous roll.
Items will be tier based. Items 1-3 will be basic or useless items eg a fork, items 4-5 (if available) will be weapons, beneficial resources, food/water etc. Tiers will alter depending on the area eg a book may be a second tier item, but in a library it would be first tier. Food would be vice versa, tier 1 in a supermarket but tier 2 in a library.
(While you guys are all starting off, I will chuck resources and weapons in along the way on a roll of 3 because you can only all roll a max of 3 at the moment.)

Example
Jacob and Roslyn decide to search a hardware store together. I've rolled a 3, giving two tier 1 items and a tier 2 item. No encounter here!
Jacob rolls a 1 and Roslyn a 2, giving 3/5 completion points and finding the first 2 items, a packet of seeds and a ceramic pot. They decide to search again, and this time Roslyn rolls a 1 while Jacob rolls a 3, meaning Jacob finds a spade. He can choose to keep it or give it to Roslyn if he wishes (or leave it!) They now have 7/5 completion points, meaning they have searched the area thoroughly and gain 0.5 SP in scavenging.

They can no longer search this area, but Joshua could if he wishes. No need to roll an encounter again as the area is safe. Joshua needs the same amount of completion points and will earn the same amount of skill points, but unknowingly to him all items are gone.

Proposed food/drink mechanics:
3 meals daily = full healing (1hp every 4 hours), 2 meals daily = minimal healing (1 HP every 8 hours), 1 meal = 1 HP every 12 hours.
You may share food (see below), and drink is consumed in halves. Eg one bottle of water is 2 drinks.

1 day without food gives you Hungry status (no healing.)
2 days without food gives you Famished status (-1 to all rolls, no healing).
3 days without food gives you Ravenous status (-1 to all rolls, no healing, cannot make any Athletics checks or tasks).
4 days without food gives you Starving status (as before and lose -1 HP, max HP reduces by 1 temporarily.) Every day Starving suffers the same penalty.
Which means you'd be dead after 13 days without food (I know humans can live much longer without but you guys are not in optimum conditions :))

30min + Athletics tasks without water requires half a bottle of water or -1 to all rolls for the day.
1 day without water gives you Thirsty status (-1 to all rolls, no healing, no Athletics checks or tasks.)
2 days without water gives you Parched status (no healing, cannot complete any checks or tasks.)
3 days without water gives you Dying of Thirst status (as above, half health.)
4 days without water = Death. >:D

You may split food between you as long as there is no half portions remaining for me to keep track of. Eg if two of you have a can of beetroot and a can of stew, you're welcome to both have half of each if you want to RP, and that way you still consume 1 meal each but get some variation.
Half a portion of food does not prevent you from acquiring Hungry status if you've eaten nothing else all day, however if you are on any other status and you consume half a portion you stay on that status rather than worsening ie, it will leave you hungry, but will tide you over.
As I said, I'd prefer if half portions are only used in sharing food between two people to prevent having half portions lying around to keep track of, or if food is drastically low.
So theoretically if you want to frequently share 1 meal between two each day, you will walk around constantly Hungry, but no worse.

Everything here may be refined as the game progresses :)
Last edited by Synch on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:32 am

Maps and drawings
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:12 pm

Housekeeping
  • Will attempt to update weekly, and if everyone has taken their turn or is in the middle of a long task, I may make a second update.
  • If you are going to be away for a week or going on holiday etc, please let me know tasks you would like me to have your character while you are away.
  • Because I am OCD tidy, please try to keep OOC in OOC and any speech in your colour, but for those who use their phone, don't worry so much. As long as its not an inconvenience.
  • I am notorious for going back and editing my posts, so if something looks incorrect straight after I've made an update, wait half an hour or so and recheck just in case I've made a mistake and am correcting it :)
  • I'm liable to make many mistakes, please point them out to me :)
  • If you have any issues with anyone or anything, please PM me or let me know and I will do my best to rectify the situation.
  • I may make the game, but you guys ARE the game so any big decisions regarding mechanics or play or something I will probably put to a group vote.
  • There will no doubt be some conflict in this game, and while I am an advocate for as much freedom of choice as possible in games, please don't deliberately try to antagonise or troll anyone. Yes its a game and people need to take things with a pinch of salt, but there are also real people with real feelings behind the keyboard so try to also keep this in mind. If conflict is bothering you or you are finding someone difficult, talk to me or otherwise consider that there is also a game objective that can be carried out by yourself or with a limited number of people (getting to a safehaven.)
  • Have fun :)
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:10 pm

I was waiting until characters were up and you tools is to start posting here. Looking forward to this!

Even if it means losing my innate unarmed bonus, my goal at some point is to break a pool cue over someone, and take a broken bottle to another. Not any of you guys, just want to fulfill violent biker stereotypes.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I was waiting until characters were up and you tools is to start posting here. Looking forward to this!

Even if it means losing my innate unarmed bonus, my goal at some point is to break a pool cue over someone, and take a broken bottle to another. Not any of you guys, just want to fulfill violent biker stereotypes.
You deal additional damage when inside a bar! :lol:
EDIT:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:16 pm

This is a tag it is only a tag...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Just a small explanation about some of the Innate Skills that have appeared that a not self explanatory:
  • Learning involves reading books and other material found eg someone may find an instruction manual on how build a chair from dowling. Whereas someone without Learning skills would roll 1d3 in the task of reading and learning, someone with Learning Level 1 would read and process the information quicker. Both survivors would gain Learning Skill Points and Woodworking Skill Points.
  • Construction is masonry and carpentry involved in the construction and repair of buildings.
  • Maintenance and Repair involves basic repairs to simple objects eg changing a lightbulb, fixing a chair, stitching a rip in a shirt etc.
  • Paul the Actor receives Learning as he has spent many hours constantly reading scripts and memorising lines, so he has quick reading skills and good memory.
  • Jani the Botanist receives Medicine because although she has a basic understanding of modern medicines, she is quite knowledgeable in Alternative Medicines using plant products eg poultices, salves etc (and FYI most modern medicine was looted months ago.)
  • I am contemplating combining Woodworking into Construction, and Plumbing into Maintenance and Repair. This would change Joshua's innate skills to Horticulture and Animal Husbandry (he worked on a farm for a year.) Will think over this.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:32 am

When are we starting? I kinda want to post already, I like this character! ^_^

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:10 am

As soon as I can do the first post, it's kinda long and explainy :lol:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:19 am

Heh, I share nikohl's impatience. *crack whip* get writing! :lol:
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:25 am

Yeah, you work for us now!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:39 am

Mr. Green pushes aside some of his long black hair and peers out at the disheveled group of people sitting and laying about their separate rooms. He lets out a long sigh, this was going to be his worst assignment yet, he knew it.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:36 am

Oh, perhaps I should mention one of you has a dark secret?! >:D Let the games begin!

IMPORTANT

One final thing for me while you all take your first turn, please cast a vote in this thread.

This will be as to whether you think I should allow people to leave and join a raiding party if they choose, trying to eventually wrestle control. Bear in mind this may bring in direct conflict between players, which I don't think has been done before in this forum. Having a player amongst raiders will make this much darker, there may be unpleasant bits (I can do spoiler tags), and anyone who takes this path will have a very high chance of death, thus ending the game prematurely for them.
If you vote that we shouldn't have this, then all raiders and evil people will be extremely hostile to any players, thus ruling out any co-operation with enemies. In short, you either go it alone (or in whatever group arises) or you stick around to rebuild a community with whoever wants that.

What'll it be? Do we allow evil?
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 am

I vote that it should be allowed, whether or not I plan on doing so.

Do the one of us who have the dark secret know about it?

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:46 am

One thing I'd ask is if we choose to be raiders, why would we have to leave the group? Could our group not become raiders? Or perhaps occasionally go out to raid others. I'm fine with wherever the game goes. Although I think you may be using the term raiders to represent a specific (and very dark) faction. If so, then yeah I'd be opposed to it unless we did it as a group. We all have a bit different storylines and do separate things, but completely breaking away from the rest just doesn't seem like a fun game to me. Then you're losing player interaction.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:30 am

I think if people genuinely want to leave and join/rule a raiding party, then it should be an option, rather than outright impossible (you've reached the edge of the map, there's an invisible wall here even though you can see open space beyond!) It just seems reasonable that some people might be more inclined to want to try and survive as mobile groups who roll in, stock up and move out - especially since there aren't like, zombies and so on that make the various lifestyle choices of this postapoc world less feasible.

Having said that, it will leave you as GM essentially running x number of side by side games, because there'll be split groups, so the decision has to be yours in the end, based on the work you want to do and the nature of the games you want to run. If you're okay with mobile groups of survivors who aren't necessarily very nice but also aren't just vile assholes, then slot in those as options, and conversely if you don't want to be dealing with GMing all sorts of raping and pillaging, just don't have the rapey pillagey groups be very open to new members >:-P (I don't see too many of our characters being the type to sign up for that anyway, but who knows what tomorrow brings?)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 am

I'd say if you're willing to run them, leave the potential open... I'm assuming we (the players) are all willing to give it a go as a group, but the possibility of the group fracturing may add interesting tension/dynamic.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:29 am

Yeah, I'd be fine with leaving the possibility open because it could give us some really interesting storylines if it's something you're happy to handle and if not, don't worry about it.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:35 am

Don't mind either way of a darker element.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:35 am

I think it would be interesting as an option...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Alaen wrote:((Just noticed that over half of our characters have a name that starts with J. :lol: ))
That's it! The Mystery of the Magic IMmunity has been solved! Hooray!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:20 pm

*stamps feet*

stupid antisocial character staying in her stupid room

I want to post again, lol

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:27 pm

Talking to Synch about my first post...
But I vote it should be possible...though you may want it to be difficult...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:33 pm

I'll be honest, I have never been quite so impressed or so alarmed by your first post Nikohl. So, kudos for that! But remind me never, EVER to pick a fight with you. :lol: