Children of Ash

Home to all current Forum Games.
Alaen
Converses Frequently

Re: Children of Ash

Post by Alaen » Tue May 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Joshua will help Green disarm the trap, stripping out some usable components if he can. Afterwards he will search the store.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue May 19, 2015 5:55 pm

Paul nods at Honey..."Well the problem of course is that I think we'd know if the wolf pack were about...they don't seem to stalk their prey...I'm going to see about looking around the corner of the square park there. If anyone wishes to join me."

Paul walks across the park carefully to the far side to see what other structures he can find in this town.
Last edited by Quarg on Wed May 20, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 20, 2015 12:55 am

"Ok, well stay safe. We're going to check out the church, so we should be able to hear you if anything goes wrong "

(I assume you're going to the park Quarg ?)

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu May 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Update 12: Seeking Sanctuary

Mr Green
Mr Green tips out his rucksack and reassesses his possessions (thats a lot of s's!), both originally found and recently earned. He packs what he needs to keep into his new duffel bag, leaving behind 2x table legs, baseball glove, cob pipe, small pen torch, snaplock bag of locks of hair and crude rucksack. He opts to not undress the scavenger.
Mr Green makes his way to the trap and, now on the side with the battery, carefully removes the jumper cables from the car battery and then from the trolley, which he pushes out of the way.
As he opens the door he sees the other survivors, and gives a brief nod before being joined by Joshua and Peter who are keen to check out the PC shop.
► Show Spoiler

Joshua, Peter, Mr Green
After a quiet word between them, the two men head inside and Peter waits outside. Joshua places his battery on the counter and pockets the jumper cables from the trap. Mr Green and Joshua have barely dragged the body into the back staff area and pushed it into a broom closet, Mr Green passing his blade to Joshua, before Peter eagerly bursts into the store. He looks around at all the parts, but doesn't fail to notice the large puddle of venous blood on the floor. Leaving things left unsaid, the three take their time to search the shop. Together they find 2x sticks of RAM, 10x circuit boards, a computer repair kit, 3x computer fans, various lengths of wire, 1x computer box, a soldering iron with stand and a spool of solder wire.
► Show Spoiler

Jimmy
Jimmy heads off on his own to scout more of the town. The area he finds is quiet, but he soon spots a roadside 7/11 type store with a two petrol pumps, and a pickup truck parked outside. The pickup truck has seen better days, the hood is up and one tire is missing - the pickup up on blocks on that one corner.

Honey, Jani, Roslyn
All three women find themselves together and without the men enroute to the church, and Honey sheepishly hands the weeds she has found over to Jani. Seeing Mr Green safe they stop keeping an eye out for him, and the short journey to the church is rather uneventful. It is a typical white steepled church, and as they approach the front door, they see chains around the door handles with a padlock. Someone has been bashing needlessly against the door given all the dents, but obviously didn't have bolt cutters. The women slowly and cautiously circle the church and find a side door that is slightly ajar. Honey volunteers to go first, bat in hand, with Roslyn readying her slingshot and Jani bringing up the rear. The door is a back entrance into the church kitchen, and as they make their way through the kitchen and a side door to the nave, they see a number of pews have been pushed together to resemble beds, with seat cushions scattered amongst the makeshift beds. The altar appears to have been rummaged through, and anything precious looking or valuable taken. A large bloodstain marks the carpet in the middle of the aisle that has drag marks streaked towards the kitchen. Scrawled on the walls in white paint are the words "Lord, forgive us for what we have done." Someone has drawn a cross through this with a red marker and written underneath in smaller writing "Your God has forsaken you all."
Searching around the church they find 4x Bibles, a metal collection plate, 2x forks, a plunger, a box of 5x large candles, a small decorative brass crucifix and a mobile phone which had fallen down the side of one of the pews.
► Show Spoiler

Jacob
The climber kicks open the door and jumps back, entering slowly but thankfully not waylaid by any traps this time. Its a very small one bedroom house, with a shared space for living and dining, and a kitchen down one side of the wall. A short hallway leads to a three open doors: a closet, a bedroom, and what looks like a bathroom. As Jacob begins looking around, he hears something stir from the bedroom, and a telltale rattle.

Paul
As Paul makes his way to the park, he looks up and notices the water tower has a ladder leading up one of the legs.
The park itself is somewhat lonelier than the rest of the desolate town. Rubbish and newspaper slowly crawls along in the very faint breeze, the swings of the playground creak ever so slightly as they sway gently. The grass is dried and dessicated, having not received proper watering in many months. Skidmarks in the grass end at a burned out wreck of a car in the middle of the grassed area. As he approaches the car, a very thin dog slinks out from a nearby bush, snarling as it does with its hackles raised and froth forming around its bared teeth.
► Show Spoiler
Those with a digital wristwatch hear it beep as the time reads 12:00pm.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Fri May 22, 2015 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Jimmy approaches the mart, glancing in the bed and window of the truck, not actively searching, just looking to see its condition and whether it has been looted. He'll approach the front of the store and pull the door open, tire iron held at the ready.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri May 22, 2015 12:21 am

(is there more to the church? Upstairs, etc? Don't want to post about looking around when there's no looking to do.)

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri May 22, 2015 12:35 am

(Sorry, should have described better. There's the main knave, a side door to the kitchen area and bathroom, a side door to vicar's office, and stairs up to the steeple. You guys have basically searched all corners and founds as much as you can, but feel free to wander if you want to look around more and I can describe things in more detail.)
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 22, 2015 2:03 am

Jani stares at the writing on the wall for a while and sighs. When the church in a town like Rolla gets desecrated like this, there's not a lot of hope for the rest of the town. She takes a bible and the crucifix (if the others are ok with it) before pausing in front of the altar for a moment. She places the crucifix back in its rightful place, and in the dust writes "there is always hope" with her finger.

Turning to the others:

"That plate will be good for signalling the others. We can either bang on it to make a load of noise, or use it to reflect the sunlight. It won't be subtle, but it might do in an emergency. I'm going to see what I can see from the steeple - I'd like to get a better idea of what's in this town I think."

Jani will head up to the top of the steeple and see what she can see from there.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri May 22, 2015 2:47 am

Honey sniffs and shrugs when Jani takes the religious items and writes in the dust, choosing instead to gather up the box of candles and the two forks. She disregards the mobile phone entirely, but will sneak a bible into her pack when the other two women aren't looking.

"Yer right about the plate... Useful fer a bunch a stuff as well as signallin' later too. I ain't like it in here, gonna go back out. Bash yer thing if ya need me."

Back outside, Honey rips the useless cover from the book, not willing to haul the extra weight, and discards it out of sight before putting the useful inner paper sheaf back in her bag. She heads down to the house nearest the church, cautiously approaching and surveying it before considering entering. If it looks safe, she'll go in.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri May 22, 2015 4:40 am

Update 12 - Jimmy

Jimmy wipes some dust off the driver window and peers through. The truck has obviously been ransacked, back window smashed with visors pulled down and glovebox open, but not completely ruined. The ignition looks intact and untampered with, probably because the truck has had a mechanical issue of some kind. The bed is empty.
Jimmy pulls the doors to the mini-mart open, careful to avoid the broken glass from one the doors that had been kicked in, but the place looks deserted and ke cna't hear anything. It seems like it was a multi-purpose convenience store, selling not only gasoline but also household items, an area that once held groceries, even a small video rental section. An old and obviously broken slurpee machine is in the corner, as well as what looks like Space Invaders or some other old arcade machine.
The shelves are barren, not a scrap of food remaining, and many have been tipped over. The cash register is in a smashed pile behind the counter. (Poor CR girl.) Jimmy looks to see if he can find anything useful, and comes up with a stack of paper cups, a hunting magazine underneath a fallen magazine rack, can of oil, 7x old VCRs, and a pile of quarters after kicking the arcade coin slot door open. Behind the counter he finds an old unopened pack of 2x button cell batteries.
► Show Spoiler
(Jimmy's previous turn is now over. Jacob still has an option for the rest of his previous turn, and Paul is on combat mode.)
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri May 22, 2015 4:57 am

Jacob will get out his golf club. He curses his injury and takes his hand out of the sling. Though delicate he'd rather have the extra swinging power and control. He'll use the length of the club to keep the rattler out of reach while he bashes it, batting it away if it tries to get closer. He also makes sure not to box him self in a corner where he won't have room to swing.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri May 22, 2015 5:38 am

Well this is damn good, Paul comments to himself.

He stands his ground and stares the dog in the eyes not taking them off the creature while shouting, "Anyone here me? I could use some help over here!" With one hand he pulls the butcher knife from his coat pocket. He sticks the blade into the ground and then slides off the coat which he then wraps his left arm with. He then takes up the knife in his right hand again.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 22, 2015 5:46 am

NB: If Jani CAN see & hear Paul from her vantage point in the steeple, she'll shout down to Roslyn & Honey that he looks like he needs some help.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 22, 2015 5:47 am

Jimmy grabs the magazine and batteries, tucking them in his duffel and piles the rest of what he found on the counter. As he heads back outside, he glances under the truck's hood, looking to see if the engine is mostly intact. If they can get the engine working, that spare back in the locked trunk might give them a functional vehicle. Jimmy had worked on plenty of bike engines, and whole the overall function was similar, he really had limited experience with larger vehicle repairs.

He heads to the house across the street from the water tower, its bulk looming above the small building. He attempts to peek through a window, then cautiously opens the door. If the coast is clear, he searches the house.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri May 22, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri May 22, 2015 5:50 am

Spying the computer repair kit and the soldering iron with spool, Peter thinks these might be useful to get the radio going if they don't come across something better.
He nabs them and the wire as they will be fairly light for him to carry and be of use for him.

With his eagerness to find something ending, his stomach rumbles and he decides to do something about it, He sees the others still searching so heads outside to eat, the spaghettioes wouldn't taste as nice cold but he'd had cold beef before so he cracks it open and sits on the outside step. Finding eating food in the midday sun a little hot he also downs a water.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri May 22, 2015 5:56 am

If Honey hears Paul, or Jani shouting down about Paul, she'll abandon her journey to the house and instead hustle over to help, bat at the ready. (I guess GM decision if she hears or not?)

If she does:

"What it is? Y'alright? Oh...mutt. He don' look great, wit' dat froth...maybe got the water-fever..." She unslings her bag and puts it down gently, so as not to break it or its contents, then gets ready with her bat.

"Easy now, pup. Ain't gon' be nothin' if ain't nothin' started. I's a nice sort, see. Done had plenty doggy friends in my time. You know words, lil' dawg? You know sit?" She tries, cautiously, all the while ready and expecting to have to smack the poor beast if and when it lunges.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri May 22, 2015 7:02 am

Having successfully searched the computer store with the others, Mr. Green Picks up his fancy new duffel bag and swings it over his shoulder, he also picks up the shotgun & Machete. As he does so he notices that during his inventory management, he had forgotten the small pen lighter, which he picks up and places into a small pocket of the duffel. "There is another battery here which was keeping the trap charged, should have some charge left" he says to the others and then turns and walks out the front door. Mr. Green sniffs the air a bit, checking for any odd odors that may be drifting around the town before walking out of the PC shop completely.

As he moves out of the door he spots the trolley that had made up the trap that was in the doorway. (If it still has all of its wheels -->) He smiles to himself and places his duffel in the bag and begins pushing the cart north toward the church. He knew that Church's, for some unknown reason, were where people tended to congregate when any kind of crisis happened, perhaps someone was still alive. This thought made him laugh a little bit to himself as he had just killed such a "survivor", but he hoped that the next ones wouldn't be so creepy.

(In the cart should be the duffel and the shotgun)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri May 22, 2015 11:04 am

Roslyn sighs deeply and looks rather dejected when she sees the desecration of the church. "Just another very deep reminder of how bad this world has become. I was hoping this is where a few survivors would have come to make a stand. And it looks like that might have been the case once, but they are long gone it seems."
She does smile a bit, though, when she sees Jani leave her little note in the dust and reset the crucifex.

The only items of value to her, that they found, were the forks and the candles. She nods when she sees that Honey picked them up. She was content as long as someone in the group was taking them.

When Jani states she will go up to the steeple, Roslyn declines, instead saying, "I'm heading outside. I want to see how ransacked the houses in this town are. Mind if I go with you Honey?"

If she does hear the yells of Paul or Jani she will assist him. If the dog does indeed attack, she will be attacking with the slingshot, but not getting too close to the maybe-rabid dog.
If she does not hear the pleas of Paul, she will instead search the home, with Honey, if she is ok with that.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri May 22, 2015 12:05 pm

(Note to say that Honey's fine with being accompanied by Roslyn, and also she's happy to have Roslyn take the candles and/or forks if she'd prefer to carry them, or split them up between them. She too just wants to make sure they don't get left behind.)

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sat May 23, 2015 8:37 am

BadgeAddict wrote: *Having disassembled the trap*

After Cleaning the knife on the dead man's ruined shirt he Returned to Joshua and offered the knife to him, "You should probably have something to use to protect both yourself and the kid, I named her Scarlet". Mr. Green gave Joshua a serious smile as he offered the blade.

"Uhm, thanks. You, uh, always name your weapons?"

*after searching the store*

Joshua takes the rest of the components, and joins Peter on the outside of the shop. Seeing the boy pull out his food can, he realizes that he has also gotten a bit hungry. He will open his can of pears with the can opener of the army knife, offering to open Peter's can as well.

"Huh, pears. Not exactly the most filling. You wanna trade some spaghettis for some pears?"

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun May 24, 2015 11:26 am

<Action removed>
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Mon May 25, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun May 24, 2015 9:10 pm

(Sorry everyone, technically the combat is happening in the midst of Update 12, so all the ladies would still be searching the church and may not hear Paul, and certainly by the time Mr Green exited to the street with his trolley the combat would be over.

I think I need to handle this better, so rather than me updating and THEN resolving the combats, I probably need to do a mini-update before a proper update to identify that someone has entered a new area and entered combat, and so others can change their actions to assist. Apologies, I'll make sure I handle things like this in future.)

Jacob (Combat mode)
Jacob removes his hand from his sling and grips the golf club in two hands, wincing from his injured one as he takes a practice swing. Not nearly enough power as he'd like but enough improvement to his control that its certainly better than trying single-handed. He runs into the room and takes a swing at the rattler, coiled up beside the bed it has just emerged from under, but narrowly misses. The rattler strikes back but thankfully he has kept himself enough a distance away and uses his athleticism to hop back quickly before the rattler gets anywhere near him, and it falls short. His second swing is much better, clocking the snake on the side of the head and driving into the wall with force as the titanium driver gives off a hearty ping. As the snake struggles to find its bearings, Jacob clubs it mercifully on its head multiple times, caving its skull.

Wiping the club on the carpet, Jacob takes the time to look around the ranksacked small house, finding an array of items including: Queen-sized mattress, vacuum cleaner, 5x plastic shopping bags, 1x Baby Ruth candy bar hidden in a nightstand under a book (How to Win Friends and Influence People), and a mop.
► Show Spoiler
(End of Update 12 for Jacob.)

Paul (combat mode)
No sooner has Paul wrapped his trench coat around his left arm and drawn his cleaver than the dog, seeing this human not backing down, rushes Paul with a snarl and bites his arm fiercely, thankfully not piercing the skin. It tries to shake its head as it growls, hanging off Paul's shrouded arm.
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun May 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Jacob figures his arm is good enough for now. He packs up the sling back into the medkit and unpacks his rucksack. He picks up the candy bar, bags, and book. He then rearranges his things.
► Show Spoiler
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue May 26, 2015 8:22 am

Paul grips the butcher knife and makes and undercut at the dog's throat, and continues to try and kill the creature.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed May 27, 2015 5:47 am

Paul (combat mode)

Paul turns the cleaver upside down and begins sawing at the dog's throat, slowly cutting in as the dog thrashes around. The pressure on his arm is almost unbearable As the blade bites in, the dog yelps and its movements and grip become slower and weaker. The jacket is splashed with blood, and the life looks to be draining from its eyes, but still it clings on.

Eventually, the blade saws through something crucial, and the dog releases Paul's arm, falling to its front legs then collapsing, bubbles of blood gurgling on its neck. Paul hastily slips his now ripped jacket off his arm and although the skin is broken in some places and very red, there is no blood. That'll leave a nasty bruise. All goes still, and soon the only noise is the creaking swing again. [Paul to 9/10 HP]

He looks around the park and the playground, but finds only a handful of acorns, an empty beer bottle, and of course the dog corpse.
► Show Spoiler
(End of update 12 for everyone)

@Chuck: not sure if you care for it or not but I forgot to mention there's the rattler corpse there also.
► Show Spoiler