Children of Ash

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Children of Ash

Post by nikohl » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:44 pm

"Yeup. S'different when there's someone home, I guess. Ain't no thing ta me, goin' into a buildin' when there might be stock we need in there... But it feels different, true 'nuff, when there's a bodily reminder of who was there afore. I still ain't gonna feel wrong about it, we need supplies to survive an' they ain't usin' none of it no more, an' nothin' won't cause me lose no sleep nor question the rightness of what I done did - you shouldn't let it get to you neither. But I know whatcha mean. Sure don't find no joy in scratching round tomb-town."

"I ain't wanna sound mean neither, but don't get too hopeful about that center o'yours. You saw the church... Might be jes' the same in this other place."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:01 am

"Thanks, it is definitely better than nothing."

Jani manages a weak smile and goes back to concentrating on not losing her breakfast. She'll help carry any items the others can't manage, but is largely just happy to not be in the corpse house any more.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Mr Green and Paul

Both men circle the house, and although the windows at the front are exposed, it seems like any windows near the rear and the rear door at the back of the house have been boarded shut, relatively competently too as to be futile to get the boards off in any short space of time, and not without attracting a lot of attention. A small hole is in the wall next to the rear door, which suspiciously looks just big enough to be an eyehole, or a gun slot. It seems the easiest way is through the front, though not the only way.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:45 am

Paul checks to see if there are any openings to a basement on the house. Then checks to see if there are any upper story or attic windows currently un boarded.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:21 am

With a full-ish belly and having been left with Joshua and a shopping trolley full of things Peter quickly checks out what in the trolley before turning to Joshua.

"So what the plan?" The way Peter says it, it definitely has more wait then just the next few minutes.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:43 am

Mr. Green returns to the door and politely knocks on the door. He raises his voice slightly, so that whoever is inside can hear him. "Hello in there, we're just a group of survivors passing through, we mean you no harm as long as you mean us no harm."

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Mr Green and Paul

Paul can see no basement entrance, and the house is a basic prefabricated bungalow so no upper storey to gain access through.
Mr Green can hear faint shuffling inside, but no-one comes to the door nor responds.
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Patdragon wrote:With a full-ish belly and having been left with Joshua and a shopping trolley full of things Peter quickly checks out what in the trolley before turning to Joshua.

"So what the plan?" The way Peter says it, it definitely has more wait then just the next few minutes.
"Right now? We should probably meet back up with the others. If you meant beyond the immediate present, then I'm not really the guy to ask. But I would expect Paul or Honey to have some kind of plan."
Last edited by Alaen on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Mr. Green follows Paul back to the others and his beloved trolley.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:56 am

Who knew who or what was in that house...and if they'd ever emerge.

I walked back out the road and looked up and down it for a moment, pondering what should be next. A school would be good, schools usually had all sorts of funding and I looked for some sign of one...like a flag pole or a street sign to indicate where it might me in the small town.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:36 am

Peter nods at Joshua in semi- agreement.

"OK lets go find the others I think I hear them over there but i want to find a place that might have something to boast the single of this radio to see if I can hear something from the world outside, thought this place might have had something. Perhaps there's another store around here"
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 am

Update 13.5: Back from hiatus!

Jimmy
Big Jimmy loads up the hiking pack and food, moving the other items to the front doorstop. He makes his way across the park, noticing Paul and Mr Green heading back to the others, before arriving at the parking lot outside the medical center. A white Volvo "soccer mom people mover" / SUV is parked folornly in the end of the lot, its colour barely recognisable under a layer of gathered dust. He is joined by Jacob.

Jani, Roslyn, Honey
Having braved the stench of the corpse house and with new equipment on board (and Jani with a weapon), the women make their way northwest until they come across a sturdy house that looks enterable. They also notice a shop of some sort across the road, and a larger structure down the road.

Peter, Joshua
The handyman and the kid genius have a brief conversation.

Jacob
Hip flask and nail clippers safely stored away, Jacob makes his way past the others and across the park, skirting the corpse of a dog, before arriving at the parking lot of the medical center where he runs into Jimmy, his attention focused on the medical center ahead.

Mr Green, Paul
Finding no covert way inside the house and whatever occupant seeming non-compliant, Paul and Mr Green make their way back to Paul, Joshua and the trolley.

The time is 12:30pm.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:42 am

Before heading towards the medical center, Jimmy inspected the SUV, trying to get a general sense if it's condition and peek in the windows. He'll try the doors, and if not able to open anything, will pop the rear drivers side window with his this iron, clearing the glass before reaching in and unlocking the vehicle, then searching the interior.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:14 am

"Ya wan' me go in first, case it's like the last'un?" Honey will peek through a window to see if she can get a sense of whether there's another corpse inside - more flies and so on - and see if she can spot anything else while she's looking. If she's satisfied that it doesn't look dangerous, she'll nudge the door open with her foot if it's unlocked.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:23 am

Jani sighs at the thought of meeting more corpses and takes a deep breath of fresh air.

"There's that shop too. I guess it's probably been looted already, but we should at least see what kind of stuff it sold. Can we check that out first? Besides, we might get lucky!"

(Jani's stalling a bit to avoid going into anywhere else gross and stinky, but will follow the others if she's outvoted).

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:45 am

Roslyn shrugs and then nods at Honey when she asks if she should enter the house first. Roslyn opens her mouth and is about to answer when Jani speaks up and asks to check out the shop first, instead.

"I don't care which we do first. The business might be more interesting though, so lets do that first. But this whole town seems to be pretty well looted."

She will continue to carry her sling shot in case of trouble.
She feels a bit for Jani, knowing what she is feeling, and is willing to switch to the business and then backtrack to this home.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:15 am

Finding his trolley exactly as he had left it gives Mr. Green a great amount of joy. Enough so that he fist pumps the air along with a loud "Yes!". He places the large duffel in the trolley and pushes it west, arriving at the house that is across from the PC store. Once he arrives, after the short walk, he'll leave his trolley beside the house, pull the machete from his bag and thus armed, tries to find a way into the house. (I don't think it was ever gone into...but I don't remember)
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:00 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks Synch

Finding his trolley exactly as he had left it gives Mr. Green a great amount of joy. Enough so that he fist pumps the air along with a loud "Yes!". He places the large duffel in the trolley and pushes it North and west, toward the unexplored parts of town.As he walks, he pulls the machete from his bag and arms himself, pushing onward with one hand he keeps his head up and aware of his surroundings. (I don't think it was ever gone into...but I don't remember)

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:15 pm

"OK Lets head towards thata way I think they went that way" Peters says to Joshua

Peter starts heading north west almost absentmindedly following after Mr green and the trolley as he whilst odd does seem to know what he's doing.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:22 pm

"Yeah, let's go. We can't just sit in the sun all day, sadly"

Joshua follows Peter, keeping an eye out for anything interesting.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:26 am

Update 14: Back from hiatus: Take 2!

Jimmy, Jacob
Big Jimmy tries the doors but all are locked. He looks around the vehicle and notices two bullet holes in the bonnet and a bullet hole in the front windscreen. Smashing the rear driver's side window, a cloud of flies escape along with a musty, foul smell. Reaching through to unlock the driver's door and then opening the door itself from the outside, Jimmy jumps back in shock as a slumped and withered female corpse falls out of the driver's side, previously hidden in its hunched rictus. The keys are swinging in the ignition, a rabbit's foot on the keyring. Jimmy minds the corspe and the stain on the front seat, rummaging through the vehicle. It seems the occupant had little of value, and all he can find is an empty 40oz bottle of Jack Daniels and a photo of two young children clutched in the corpse's hand. Whether the occupant was shot or merely waited to expire is in question.
► Show Spoiler
Jacob stares at the corpse and the photograph for a long time, before looking to the horizon and announcing "I... I need to go for a walk. Clear my head. I'll catch up." And with that he drops all his gear in a pile next to the car, turns and walks past the medical centre off to the north, with nothing but the clothes on his back.

Jani, Roslyn, Honey
Honey outvoted, the other two convince her to try the shop first. Making their way down the road slightly, they notice that it is a hardware store. What once must have been a small Ma & Pa business is now ransacked and desolate, with the door kicked in and windows smashed. Dust has streamed through the windows and coated the store, and the lack of footprints in the thick brown dust are an indication this shop was probably one of the first to be cleaned out and has now long been avoided. Moving aside tipped over shelves and lifting up broken boxes and barrels, the women manage to find a few bits and pieces that others may have overlooked. Namely 3x packets of seeds (one is still clearly identified as Carrots but the other two have been worn away), a dented watering can, a broken shovel with the handle snapped three quarters of the way toward the head, a small rubber wheel from a trolley of some sort, a 1m piece of black plastic tubing (2cm in diameter) and a garden gnome with a broken nose and the point of his hat broken off.
► Show Spoiler

Mr Green, Joshua, Peter
Mr Green, happily reunited with his trolley, makes his way northwest with Joshua and Peter in tow like some odd pied piper. They arrive upon a small elementary school, torn flag flapping forlornly in a weak breeze up the top of a flagpole. The playground is eerily quiet, and most of the windows of the classrooms look smashed. The windows of the small gymnasium have been boarded up.
Across from the school, a ruined and charred building has collapsed. In the distance, the three can make out Jacob dazed and walking off into the wasteland.

Paul
Paul stays put, contemplating a cigarette.

The time is 12:45pm.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:30 am

"Well these should be very useful! Do you mind if I keep these? Hopefully we'll be able to start a little garden somewhere and grow some real food!"

Jani would like everything except the gnome. She's not bothered about the wheel if someone else wants it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:03 am

Jimmy calls dibs on Jacob's stuff before popping the hood and checking things over as best he can, turning the key partway to see if any systems come online (not trying to start it yet).

As Green comes over and starts 'helping', Jimmy claims a few items and allows him to load the others on the trolley.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:08 am

Mr. Green helps Jimmy with Jacob's stuff, loading a good deal of it into his trolley...in a very "helpful" attitude kind of way.