Potential: Group One Game Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Potential: Group One Game Thread

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:59 am

"Ah yes, I wish to sell this time around." brooklin thinks how much he would normally sell a boar for.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:10 am

Leonie:

"Fish head stew's the heart and soul o'the Cove! Sure enough we like a grilled mullet fresh from the line as much as anyone else, or a lovely fish pie with all the good meat and some prawns and clams...but needs must this week, just like many other weeks! When the best bits have to go to market, there's nothing like a hearty leftovers-stew to keep your belly full."

The men grin down at her from their standing position near the cook-pot, patiently waiting for their tea. Clearly they DO like fish head stew...although it is a bit stinky.

"There's all sorts further along the coast, but not much by way of little pools in the Cove. Not unless the tide's right out."

She also learns that Parke is definitely the best wood-worker in the town; he's who everyone goes to when they need furniture or bits of hardware fixing, things making for their homes, and so on. Anything metal they ask Arlon. Anything Arlon and Parke can't make separately or between them... they either do without it, or they ask Euan to bring it back from the town for them.

--

Brooklin:

Brooklin usually sells his meat by weight - Ungar helps him to weigh it, and then either buys the entire animal from him if he can afford it and sells it on on his behalf, or buys some for himself and points him towards some other locals who might be interested in a joint or two at the right price. He only recently brought a small deer back to town, about a week back, which Ungar bought whole. He knows wealth varies a lot between areas, so what he can get here is probably not representative of the true price of an animal, but he usually gets a silver piece per pound - maybe a little more for the finer cuts and a little less for the scrappier bits, if he sells individually, but Ungar usually gives him a flat fee.

"Well, let me get my steelyard - bring him round to the side there and we'll weigh him up."

Ungar disappears inside for a moment and comes back with a metal beam almost as long as he is, with a series of hooks attached to it, and in his other hand he carries a large round weight with a handle. He sets the contraption up on the outside of the tavern, from another hook hanging on a sticking-out structural beam above his head that looks to be there for that very purpose. He angles the shorter, multi-hooked end of the beam down towards the ground and gestures for Book to help him spear the boar for weighing - the hooks look like they'd go through both hind legs near the trotters quite nicely. Once it's hooked, Ungar leans his weight on the longer end of the beam to get it down nearer the ground and heaves the big weight up onto a sliding hook on the beam - despite the metal ball weighing nothing near as much as the boar, the counterbalanced lever effect starts to heft the boar up. Ungar slides the weight along the beam until the two are in balance, and takes note of the number marked on the metal beam.
► Show Spoiler
"See there? Near enough ninety five pounds. Happy days! Now, I'm not sure I've got enough coin on me to buy the whole feller right off you here and now, but you're welcome to use my cellar to hang him up if you're keen to butcher and get to sellin'...I'm sure there'd be plenty of people looking to get a leg or some belly if we put the word out that there'll be good pork to buy in a couple of days, and I'll certainly take some off your hands. Or if you just want rid of him, I'll give you seven gold here and now, and owe you the two-and-five; I'll have coin again once the caravan-men come through, or you can take your due in room-and-board and drinks, and we'll keep tab."

--

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:28 am

"Thanks gents! It's been really nice just to sit outside and socialize, I spend so much time inside the tavern helping Ungar. Which, I think by the time this stew is done I'll have to head back to help out for supper. Feel free to pop in at some point before the caravan comes to say hi! Especially if you have any scraps for my cat... he'd be thrilled!" she says, leaning towards the cat to give him a good rub between the ears.

"And if you had any stories to share.... real ones in particular, I'd love to hear them. Evenings are always nice with company and good stories!"
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:30 am

"I will cut it up and sell it in pieces, then." Brooklin carries the boar to the cellar abd starts to cut up the boar in chuncks.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:42 am

"I think you might be scaring them off. It's weird that you can control the glowing though. We should definitely practice that some more and see if we can all do it, and what it does if anything! But I think we should head back to town. It's getting late and it sounds like folk are packing up for the day anyway. What do you think? Or do you want to try your glowing trick one more time?"

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:44 am

Brooklin:

"You're not going to let it hang? It's still warm!" Ungar seems perplexed, but doesn't stop Brooklin doing what he wants with his boar.

--

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:22 pm

"It's pretty exhausting so I think it might be best to call it a day. Besides, it's seem I get worse and worse at every attempt I do. So lets head back to the town."

Theis will wash off any place the fish have touched, before helping with packing down and sail back
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:43 pm

"Oh yea. Sorry don't know what I was thinking. Be sure to tell anybody you see that there is some good fresh pork for sale." brooklin goes to hang the meat and preps it so that when people ask for a certain cut he could easily go in and cut off a piece. He then walks around, telling people of fresh pork.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Nix cleans the worst of the slime and blood off her arms in the sea and then hops into the canoe with Theis. She'll try and row back to the beach as competently as she managed the trip out.

As they get back to shore, she'll stop paddling for a moment when she sees Leoni glowing on the beach and turn to Theis:

"Hey, do you know who that is? I didn't see her in the house before... How many of us ARE there?"

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:34 am

"Oh right, forgot about her for a moment. She was in the tavern when it happened, but she opted to go for the backroom in the tavern rather than going together with the rest of us to figure stuff out. Besides her, I have not seen anyone that didn't come to the house. She might be over the initial shock now."
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:20 pm

Seeing Parke hailing him, Jornen waves:

"Hey! I'm looking for a deposit of clay, we're building a wall in exchange for some goods we got from the store. I don't suppose you know of anywhere around here I could dig out some clay?"
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Parke searches his fragmented memory.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:41 am

Parke and Jornen:

I assumed Parke would help out as I've been unable to pop in and update - hope this is OK.

Parke hails Jornen as the man passes and, upon learning that he's hunting for clay, offers to help.
► Show Spoiler
While Parke couldn't remember anything too specific, he does have a fairly good knowledge of the layout of the town and the surrounding area. He suggests heading towards the hilly areas away from the village. It doesn't take long for the pair, with their keen eyes and decent knowledge of what they're looking for, to find a fairly well-walked trail leading away from the village to a seam of clay that looks like it's been unearthed by the villagers in the past. They gather up a bucketful and head back to the garden to see how Roule's getting along. Most of the time taken was in walking there and back rather than finding the clay.

--

Brooklin:

Brooklin hauls his boar down to the nice cool cellar under the tavern, and hangs it on a hook in the ceiling. In preparation for potential future purchases, he plans to burning and scrape the hair from the skin - he goes back up to the tavern and borrows a red-hot coal from the fire (which is always on, despite the heat of the day, for water-boiling and cooking purposes) and some tongs to hold it in, then wipes the coal all over the boar's body to singe the majority of the coarse hairs off.
► Show Spoiler
He gets the burning done and sets the now-cold coal on the stone floor out of harm's way, then takes his finishing knife and starts scraping the last bits of burnt hair off the carcass.

--

Nix and Theis:

Nix and Theis pack up and head home; they wash the majority of the grime off themselves and their kit, then climb back round the base of the cliff and pack all their stuff into the little canoe and sail it back to shore.
► Show Spoiler
Nix is still the stronger of the two when it comes to paddling, but Theis is less wobbly than he was on the way out. Presumably he's getting the hang of it. They make it back to the shore in good time, climbing out and pulling the canoe out of the water onto the pebbly and shelly beach. Up by the lodge, they can see Leonie and the two fishermen working with a smoke-fire and a cooking pot and so on. Everything actually smells pretty good!

--

Leonie:
► Show Spoiler
Leonie's stew looks pretty much done! She hefts the whole thing off the fire and plonks the pot down in the sand next to it so that it stops boiling, and calls the fishermen over to show them. One jabs a spoon into the concoction for a taste and decrees that it is indeed done. He thanks Leonie for her hard work in helping to prepare it. The other arrives with a large fresh lemon and a basket of fresh salad vegetables and herbs ready to garnish and stir through it right before it's eaten - which will probably not be for a while, but the large cast iron pot will keep it warm for ages. The men take the pot over towards the lodge and cover it over with a lid to keep bugs out until dinnertime.

"Will you be eating at Ungar's or did you want us to save you a portion of this for your tea?"

The cat has finished his head and left only the central boney part of the skull, which he's gotten bored with and dropped on the floor. He weaves around Leonie's ankles, keeping his tail a safe distance from the cooking fire.

--

Roule:

Roule carries on chipping old mortar off the stones and stacking them up ready to be re-used when Jornen returns.
► Show Spoiler
----
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:10 am

Cleaning the hairs off the boar doo de doo.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:23 am

(Yeah, that's fine. I was going to grab the doll and some sewing materials on the way out, but probably better that I didn't. I'll get them when we go to meet up for dinner. Meantime, I'll pitch in with Jornen and Roule.)

"So, what are we doing?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:22 pm

"You know, I think I will stick with what's at Ungar's! However, I'd love it so much if you could save a portion for me to give to the cat! It's actually been sort of fun making fish-head stew... I am not sure I would have thought of it." she says honestly "So thank you for teaching me! But I think it's time for me to go.. cat's getting restless!"

With that, she makes some general farewells and then heads towards the man she saw at the tavern.. even though he was an idiot who made her the centre of attention even more than dropping the tray had..... he at least had looked more real and glowish like she did. "Well cat, come on. Let's see what's next," she says as she scoops him up. As she walks with the cat, she takes a closer look at the scars on her arms... trying to figure out what on earth might have caused them!

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:16 am

To Parke:

"Well I think we should try and borrow a wheelbarrow from somewhere to transfer enough clay to the back yard. Let's get Roule and see if we can get one from the store"

Collect Roule and hunt around the garden for a means of clay conveyance :P
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:24 am

"Yes, if we only had a wheelbarrow. ... Why didn't you list that among our assets?" Parje chuckles softly to himself, then stops, confused. "Sorry. I'm not sure what that was. Some kind of weird flashback to... Some kind of castle... Where I've never been... Never mind." He shakes his head to clear it.

"I'll certainly help try to find a wheelbarrow. But my question was what we're doing here. What's the job? Why are we doing it? What's going on? I've been alone in my house for the last hour or so. "

Parke continues to aid Jornen and Roule.

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:12 am

(You have the bucket, which you used to collect some sand - a wheelbarrow would save you a couple of trips but I actually sort of assumed you'd just go there and back a couple of times (it won't take a full turn each time now you know the way.) Up to you guys though.)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:21 am

"On second thought, how much do we really need? If it's not much more, there's no need to gunk up a perfectly good wheelbarrow. Besides, it'll probably take longer to scrounge one up than it would to make a couple of trips with the bucket."

► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:56 am

"I'm definitely not cut out to be sailing.. Oh, seems the girl is approaching us."

Theis stretches and correct his hat from his vicious ineffecient paddeling.

As Leonie approaches, Theis waves before continueing with a greeting.

"Hall├©j.."

Theis stops himself, while the phrase is familiar to him its strangely foreign for Tiril. The minor self inflicted confusion is enough to stop him from a natural flow in the conversation and he continues a bit awkard.

"So.. Enjoying your time off from tavern duties?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:12 am

"Hall├©j?" Leonie mimics... not really sure if that's a word used in this place, or back where Lindsey's from, or neither.. or.... she gives up.

"Yes, I'm enjoying being out of the centre of attention quite a bit, thanks. I really hadn't needed any help; and I wasn't the only person in pain.... yourself included....."
she says, taking a look at the woman next to him, who is also giving off the strange glow. "It was a very confusing moment, made much more embarassing by dropping a tray... then having two of you try to come to my rescue? Ugh! But, I suppose, thank you?"

((For nikohl - Leonie wanted to concentrate a bit on seeing if she knew the scars. Sorta like how Parke looked for memories about the dress. Or if she could at least have some vague guess about what caused them really. Just including this here so that you don't have to miss it :) ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:18 am

"Hey, nice to meet you. I'm... Naya. Who are you? Is this your cat? He looks like a sensible fellow! Always handy to have around on boats, they are."

Nix will investigate the stew, and try some if it's ok with the fishermen since it must be nearly dinner time by now.

She'll also ask if they would be willing to trade her very large, very high quality fish for some smaller, dried ones. If they ask, she'll tell them she's thinking about travelling to the next town for a visit, but regardless, dried fish are tasty!

OOC: This is a barter attempt if that makes a difference. I'm afraid I'll probably not get online much at all in the next couple of weeks but I'll try :) Please have Nix head to the pub with the others and be generally friendly / helpful as required!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Parke and Jornen:

I assumed you two would carry on and fetch more clay based on Wears' last post

Parke and Jornen take two more trips back to where they first found the clay, filling the bucket to the brim each time. It's a nice quick walk, but the bucket's pretty heavy after a while, so they take it in turns to carry it.

When they arrive back, they find Roule ready and waiting to start the next stage of building.

--

Brooklin:

Brooklin finishes scraping the last bits of burnt hair off the carcass and wipes the mostly-smooth skin clean with a damp rag. He sweeps up the charred mess from the floor and takes it all back upstairs to dispose of it, washes his hands and his knife, and puts the tongs back near the tavern fireplace.
► Show Spoiler
Now the boar is in a ready-to-cook state for any future purchasers; it'll be fine to butcher and sell once it's had a chance to cool and hang, probably overnight.

--

Nix and Theis:

Nix and Theis unload the canoe and put it back where they found it, leant up against the wall of the lodge on a specially made rack to dry. They meet up with Leonie for a brief chat, and Nix leaves Theis talking to Leonie for a moment to go and show her fish to the two men who are ladling out big portions of stew for themselves. They gesture for her to help herself to the stew, as it's for all the fisher-folk to share and she counts among them. She knows there are bowls and spoons in the second hut by the lodge.

She mentions trading her fresh fish for some dried ones; the men don't seem surprised when she mentions wanting to head out, and she recalls a faint memory of Naya discussing her plans to travel with the next caravan with them before. They put down their bowls of stew, which are still too hot to eat anyway, and take the fish from her to inspect it.
► Show Spoiler
Nix is clearly not that skilled in the arts of negotiation. On the plus side, neither are the two guys she's trying to barter with. Camber, the unofficial "head fisherman", did all that for them. The negotiation mostly consists of both parties umm-ing and ahh-ing and shrugging a lot, rather than saying what they would like.

The men are impressed with the fish she caught, especially considering she only had a fairly basic rod. They do say, however, that they have JUST finished smoking the large batch of fish that they caught today, and JUST finished cooking their dinner... so while they're happy to let her have some dried fish for her journey, her timing isn't great, because they can't do much with this tasty-looking fish besides pack it in salt until tomorrow, which is fine but not what they'd consider to be the best use of it. They offer her about a third of the weight of the big fish in whole smoked and dried tiddlers - she thinks that's a pretty good trade, given the water content is a big part of the weight of her fish, and the dried ones will keep well. It's not the deal of the century, as they can't afford to give things away left and right... but they certainly aren't trying to cheat her or make an unfair trade.

[You can try to barter more, i.e. keep haggling, if you want. Another fail will close negotiations. Carrying on a little bit wouldn't be considered rude, especially if the scope of the offer on either side was altered/expanded - depends on the roll though!]

--

Leonie:

Leonie, having made her farewells with the fishermen, picks up the cat and strokes him to keep him occupied while she talks to Theis. For his part, the cat seems content to be fussed and looked at - he meows loudly when Nix asserts that he looks a sensible chap, as if he was pleased with her assessment.

When Leonie takes some time to look at the marks on her arms and hands to try and recall their source, she struggles to really pinpoint anything. It seems as though these assorted marks have just been picked up over the course of her life as a hard worker and a traveller - a burn from a fire ember, a thin whip-like slice from a sharp bramble bush, a selection of superficial scratches that could be from animal claws or from kitchen knives, a couple of scuffed knuckles, the odd torn callous, and so on. None of the marks spark a vivid memory that would indicate they were from a particular trauma or major life event, and they are all of various ages and variously well healed, suggesting that none happened very close together.

The side of her right hand looks (and feels) a little sore, though, and on closer inspection she can see lots of little red pinprick marks and scrapes, evenly spaced - it looks like that's where the cat tended to show his affection by gnawing on her as she reached out to pet him or pick him up.

--

Roule:

Roule takes the opportunity to have a rest and a drink of water while Jornen and Parke fetch some clay. Knocking the old mortar off the stones was hard work and the sun is still warm, so having a few minutes' break was pretty nice!
► Show Spoiler
----
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Brooklin heads out of the tavren and looks at the snares he set up before looking for more tracks of large animals.