Potential: Group Two Game Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Potential: Group Two Game Thread

Post by Quarg » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 am

Amanda looks through items for a moment, "My biggest problem is not knowing what the others have...I mean does one of us at least have a large canvas peice to cover us if there is rain? Does anyone have any rope to hold it up? And I'm a bit worried that none of us seem to have anything to protect ourselves with..." It is fairly obvious she is talking more to Lance and B.J. than the shop owner.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:32 am

B.J. looks up from her doings to pay attention to Amanda. "Don't look at me for supplies or even bare necessities, all I got is what I wear on my body; at least that's all I can remember. Hence I'm trying to help out with whatever needs doing here, to at least earn a canteen and somewhere to store food in." She frowns a little at Amanda, though it's clear she's not displeased with her, but with the situation. "...not that I have anything to put in there, yet." she adds as an afterthought and turns back to her task.

After a little more rummaging through the items and trying to get them in order, B.J. asks Amanda in a friendly tone of voice, but sounding slightly absent mined: "What was your name again?"
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:19 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:06 am

Quarg wrote:"...And I'm a bit worried that none of us seem to have anything to protect ourselves with..." It is fairly obvious she is talking more to Lance and B.J. than the shop owner.
"You make a good point, ma'am, it wouldn't do to be undefended, but a weapon is little good if you don't know how to use it properly."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:45 am

Synch wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:32 pm

nikohl wrote:[your house is like, two doors down, so there's plenty of time to pack or do whatever you had planned next when you get there.]
((Right. >.> Forgot about that. Start packing some non perishable and preferrably easy to transport food.))

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:12 pm

Ryush:
► Show Spoiler
Ryush is mildly annoyed to have to stop exploring for a moment to attend to his breads, but it doesn't take him long to get back to his relaxed and expanded state. Rather strangely though, as soon as he breaks back through the initial barrier of the walls and ceiling of his home, the deafening noise of the crickets is immediately all he can hear. As he tries to concentrate despite this, he finds that the droning roar begins to ebb and flow, becoming less uncomfortably loud although still drowning out all other sound. The realisation dawns after a moment or two that the noise has started to follow both his breath and his heartbeat: there is a steady, slow rise and fall in the hum, but atop that there is a faster pulse of shrill chirps. It is almost melodic, and quite beneficial when it comes to him focusing his mind despite the volume.

He feels instinctively that this is not just an effect of his intense focus playing tricks on him or his own heartbeat echoing in his ears - the level of sound made by the bugs is truly changing, although it would be barely audible to anyone else.

--

Remy:

Remy is really pleased with the stuff he has. :cheer: (Waiting to hear from Synch on what to do next, as he posted - will edit in his action.)

--

Lance:

Lance talks to Amanda. :shrug:

--

Timothy:

Timothy sneaks down to the cellar for a bit more petty theft!
► Show Spoiler
He makes it down there with no issue, nobody saw him and it's just how he left it last time, with the same supplies. Potatoes and turnips, carrots, a large number of eggs, plenty of sundried tomatoes, some sacks of grain, and a side of beef.

Out of the available options, only the grain fits his criteria of definitely bird-friendly and non-perishable, but he thinks she might like a tomato or two as well (and so would he), and they'll keep for a little while as they are dehydrated. He remembers how well the sack-concealment went last time and how busy upstairs is, so rather than picking up another sack, he fills his cloak and trouser pockets with handfuls of grains from the first open sack - which turns out to be what he's pretty sure is hulled barley - and then tops them off with a handful of the sundried tomatoes before heading back upstairs.

Feather greets him with a loud Crawk! when he re-enters the room. She has pecked a hole in his pillow.

--

Ren├®:

Ren├® heads home and packs up his food. He places his waxed wheel of cheese in first, on top of the things he's already packed. He has a little basket of dried figs and dates, which is small enough to go inside the rucksack - and he doesn't have a bag to put them into anyway - so he puts the basket inside. He has three remaining jars of honey, which he's pretty sure won't smash and go everywhere if he's careful, so he adds those on top of the basket, wedging them apart with his parcels of hardtack bread so they don't bash together. Last he takes his meat jerkies and his smoked dried fish off the spears they were stored on and wraps them up, placing them on top.

Being pretty large, the rucksack is only about half full with all that food packed carefully inside it on top of his new purchases from the store. It'll be rather heavy when completely full though, especially if he wants to carry another giant wheel of cheese.

--

B.J.:

B.J. successfully pocketed the knife in the midst of tidying up, and carried on working. Ethan is oblivious, for now. Nobody else seems to have noticed, or said anything if they did.
► Show Spoiler
She's made good progress. Most of the shelves are nicely sorted out now. Next she's got to sweep and mop the floor - which is very dusty and covered in dead bugs and all sorts of stuff. Obviously this room doesn't get tidied up very much. Then all that will be left is to put the large items back in, which are currently still piled in the tavern near to the shop door.

--

Amanda:

:shrug: Still lookin' at the shop stuff, I guess.

----
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:37 pm

MY PILLOW!!! OH MY PRECIOUS PILLOW! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!?!

Tim lets out a laugh at the pillow. He holds out some of the barley for Feather coaxing her attention back to him. As he does so he once again tries the mind-meld.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Lance... I guess heads out to the well to fill his waterskin?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:52 pm

With his meditative state, Ryush experiments with how altering his breathing affects the chorus of insects. He tries holding his breath, then breathing rapidly to see if they keep pace. He then tries to parse the sound, focusing in on a single caller and identifying them with his mind.

He's so drawn into the experience he doesn't stop to consider how odd all of this is... Though no offer than waking up in a body and place that doesn't quite seem his own...
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:20 am

Lance's waterskin is now full.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:52 am

B.J. continues her work on the shop. She still remembers where the mob & bucket are from her cleaning the tavern room, but she doesn't recall a broom, to get rid of all the dry dirt (like the bugs) first. If she can't spot anything of the like, she'll ask Ethan for the necessary tools to carry on.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:47 am

Lance walks back to his room and sets his pack in one corner, taking the dog bowl out and putting some water in it from his waterskin - It was later than he thought, so they will probably stick around for the night, and it wouldn't do to forget to provide the dog water for the night, and he could refill the waterskin before leaving if the others decided to set out that night. Once that's settled, he heads across to the ranch, talking with the old dog as he walks, "You were never given a name, were you? I suppose I should do that, shouldn't I? Do you want me to give you a name?"
My game:

My characters:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:40 am

The dog looks up at Lance as they walk, clearly listening what he's saying but not entirely understanding the words. He wags his tail happily, gleaning the positive connotation from Lance's words and understanding that there's a question in there somewhere.

The pair reach the front door of the main ranch building, which he knows is the "house" part. They could knock or go in, or they could go round towards some of the more work-y buildings or onto the farm land in search of cows or horses or similar.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:00 pm

"Alright, I'll give you a name, then. How about Patrick? Pat, for short." Lance knocks on the door and addresses whoever answers, "Good day to you. I'm going to have to leave town with a couple of others soon, maybe tomorrow, and it'll be a while before I get back. Ethan has the story, but I thought I'd check on the animals while I've the chance, if that's alright?"
My game:

My characters:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:14 am

Patrick seems to like his name, although Lance isn't entirely sure that he's "got it" yet - he might not recognise the name as his own without further reinforcement.

When Lance knocks on the door, an older woman answers and his Loup-side immediately recognises that she is the lady of the house - however, she's not your typical "manor house lady", and possibly isn't what his new brain was expecting. She's dressed in a work vest and riding trousers, although she has house shoes on instead of boots right now. She looks very used to hard work, and invites him in as soon as she sees that it's him. She carries on bustling about the house while Lance talks - it looks like she's preparing dinner and tidying at the same time. After about thirty seconds, three puppies bound into the room yelping excitedly and leap onto Patrick, who greets them with a happy bark.

"Agh! No door holds back these damnable creatures!"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:30 am

Lance smiles, "Not much can stop a determined puppy, so far as I know. Especially not a group of them." Kneeling down, he holds his hands out to the pups, "Would you like some help with corralling them? You seem busy enough without having to manage these three."
My game:

My characters:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:04 am

"They just want to see their daddy. Yes, you two can keep them occupied while I work for a bit. It's their supper time soon, that'll occupy them well enough."

Now she's said it, Lance can see a certain resemblance between the pups and Patrick, although whatever local hound was their mother has given them most of their features they have inherited the odd trait from him here and there.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:39 am

Lance gently scoops up one of the pups, scratching behind one ear once he has it cradled safely, "Ah, that'd be true. I don't think I've ever known a healthy dog to lose its love of food. Makes it a clear sign something's wrong when they stop eating as much, at least. I'll not distract you from your work any longer, wouldn't want to become a bother."
My game:

My characters:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:35 am

"Nonsense, you're no bother round here, Loup - you know that! Although if what Ethan said about you being sick when he called past earlier was true, I'd appreciate it if you'd stay away from the children when they come inside. They'll probably be fine and you're probably not catching, but better safe than sorry."

She's still working as she talks, alternating between talking at a normal level while she's in the room with him and calling more loudly when she walks through into another one. This house is as big as the tavern, much larger than any of the other ones in the town, and quite well-appointed - although nothing in here seems frivolous or unnecessary. The woman and whoever else lives here with her are obviously richer than most of the others in town (and if Loup's memory that Coran Pass itself built up around the ranch, which was founded first, is true then that makes sense) but it doesn't appear that they are high-class fancy folks.
► Show Spoiler
The three puppies have too-large, triangular ears that have flopped over at the ends, long barrel shaped bodies and awkwardly gangly legs. They appear to have inherited their pointy ear shape and longer legs from Patrick, but where he has dirty golden-brown fur and his ears stand upright, they have variously bright red-and-white patched coats, presumably like their mother, and their ears are droopy despite his influence. Clearly this was are an odd pairing, as the conformity of type among the three pups would suggest their mother is purebred, and Patrick looks like a right old mutt... Lance can't recall whether Patrick's 'involvement' in the production of these three puppies was accidental.

Patrick is entertaining the two puppies left on the floor - they are chasing each other around him, and he's laid down and pawing back and forth at them as they run past. The one that Lance is holding mouths at his thumb, but not hard; almost as if it's exploring for a teat and has found the nearest-shaped thing it could grab onto. Where the two on the floor are uniformly red-and-white in colouring all over with red heads and white blazes, the one that Lance holds in his hands has an entirely white face with tiny red-gold spots on its ears. He estimates by their size (and tooth development!) that the pups are plenty old enough to be weaned, and this one is just playing.

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:44 pm

I decided to stop packing food for now. If I had to carry this rucksack for a few hours, I didn't want it to get too heavy. Now that the food was handled I put in my spare clothes and my beekeeping equipment.

I took out my purchases except the clockwork soldier, strapping the pouches and waterskin to my belt and setting the boots aside for now.

Now that I was done with packing for now I had time to do something else I wanted to do. I looked around for a knife, a piece of cloth, and something to heat the knife with.

((Question about the tarot deck: Are the illustrations one of the traditional versions, or are they unique?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:13 pm

"Aye, if I understood what Rafe said it's more an odd poison than a sickness, but I'll keep my distance, regardless."
My game:

My characters:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 am

Rene:

Rene finds a few items of cutlery in his home - there's a blunt butter-knife type of thing and a slightly sharper one more suited to cutting meat. The only cloth he's got are his clothes, his towel, or his soft furnishings (curtains, rug, etc.) though, and if he wants to heat something up he'll need to start a fire going in his hearth.
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:12 am

I grabbed the butter knife and the towel, and started to get a fire going in the hearth. Now I just needed to prepare a table or similar near the hearth.

((I mostly wanted to know if I could refer to the traditional imagery, so that clears things up. My current plan is to try to get the cards un-crumpled using the knife as a makeshift iron. I should have enough tme examining the cards then.))

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Rene:

Rene takes a little while to get a fire going, just like Remy had done back at his home - it's not too difficult, it just seems like he should remember how and can't quite get it, or his hands know the motions but his brain's holding him back. Whatever the reason, after a moment or two of fiddling around, he manages to start a fire in his hearth ready to start his makeshift ironing session going once it's heated up.

He thinks it'll probably take a few minutes to heat up, but that gives him time to finish arranging his rucksack.

[Going to use a fair bit of the rest of your action-time this turn with packing your backpack, which was your first posted action. The rest can be sorting out your ironing table etc. Feel free to post more mini-actions in support of getting the ironing things ready, looking at the cards etc - but it'll take some time for the fire to get hot, which is where the delay comes in.]

--

Ryush:

[I was going to give you a full-turn action for your post, but I've done mini-updates for a few people and don't want to leave you waiting around with nothing to do, so you can have a halfway update too!]
► Show Spoiler
Ryush finds immediately that whatever he does with his breathing is reflected a split-second later by the bugs serenading him from outdoors. There is a tiny, tiny delay, just like there would be if another human was trying to copy his breathing and having to wait until he acted to follow along. They never take the extra step that a tricksy human might and try to anticipate his actions, though, and they never get it wrong because of that. They just follow.

When he attempts to listen out for a single insect amongst the din and pinpoint it, the effort is too much for his meditative mind. He loses the "passive observer" status he had carefully built up over the many minutes he had been listening without thought or judgement by taking a direct interest and letting intent and will come to the forefront of his mind, and his awareness snaps back into his own body like an elastic band breaking.

He finds himself suddenly, inelegantly back inside the confines of his home, listening to the almost annoying crackle of his bread oven, and uncomfortably aware of his left leg having gone numb.

...However, before he can lament his failure, he hears a single, tentative buzzing chirp from his windowsill, upon which sits a large, silver-grey and black cicada. The creature looks intently at him and begins to chirp more vigorously, although its song is comparatively rather quiet to his ears now.

Ryush has triggered his Minor Special Ability for the first time. (0MP cost for use on first discovery; initial experimentation-uses may not cost MP: future "proper use" will require MP spend as per ability description.)