Potential: OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Potential: OOC

Post by nikohl » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:06 pm

Eventually this will be needed, so here it is. Both groups might as well share one, because I don't see the point in clogging up the forum with two chatty threads, especially since we're maybe moving towards one big group at some point in the future. Try not to confuse each other or me too much; use "Group 1" and "Group 2" as markers where necessary, and please do your best to avoid metagaming; if Group 1 are planning something cool in here, and suddenly Group 2 have the exact same idea, I will have a sad face. I don't like having the sad face. I do want everyone to have fun and do all the things they want to be able to do, but... no copying :lol:

Chatting! OOCness! Go!

Also, some GMs are a little bit anti-completely-off-topicness or random interjections from the peanut gallery because it distracts them from finding useful tidbits of info or player questions or whatever; I personally don't care. I have ADHD, I love pointless distracting discussions... and I have no problem picking out the interesting stuff from wave upon wave of rubbish. I have a finely honed good-shit radar. As long as you follow the Forum Rules, post whatcha like. I genuinely wouldn't mind if you spent your time in here discussing nothing but the various merits of different flavoured cheeses. :cheer:

lingrem
Former Mod

Re: Potential: OOC

Post by lingrem » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm not sure I'm familar with the forum rules...
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:19 pm

SO I popped this in my intro post, but I guess I'll put it here too since now we have a shiny new OOC thread! <ahem> :

I swear a lot. It's usually my first reaction to a surprising situation, and is a convenient form of punctuation and/or emphasis within a phrase. The words themselves are neutral (if not very polite), insofar as they can be used equally to convey a positive sentiment ("that's fucking lovely") or a negative one ("that guy's a twat"). I will do my best to make sure that you are all aware of the context IC, so you'll know when Nix is actually pissed off and when she's quite pleased about something.

It's a feature that I would like to continue with if Nix is going to be a sort-of-version-of-me, because it's how I naturally speak to pretty much everyone. However, given that this is a game-of-many-players from many parts of the world where the various words may have different meanings etc, I'm happy to tone down the language if it's going to bother anyone.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm not in your group so it probably matters less what I think, but so long as its clear that your character is calling my character an asshole and not you calling me an asshole, its completely fine. Though I am an asshole at times, so that's fair game too. Joking aside, I like when people actually react in such a fashion rather than just take everything in stride. So go for it.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:56 pm

Three posts and not one mention of flavoured cheeses. Hmph.

I'm going to bed and I'll be doing offline stuff for at least a good part of tomorrow, but I'm loving what I've seen so far, and I'm glad you guys seem to be into the swing of the whole brain-teleport thing! I'm going to give you a bit of time for some back-and forth conversation between nearby characters because that seems like what's most likely to happen (or wandering off, which could also happen) and then update when it looks like everyone's said their piece and/or we're at a suitable juncture. I also want to give Gathers time to feel better and get online because she's currently sick and while I wanted to get all the admin and intro posting done during my week off work, I don't actually want to start without her and leave her behind. So I'm envisaging first proper updates being... Tuesday? With room for minor GM input, responses and such in the form of mini-updates at the weekend, if necessary.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:58 pm

This is more a question for nikohl but as she's gone to bed I'll see if anyone else has an idea:

We've forgotten all about modern technology as our host has kicked those memories out, but would we know what time period we are in? Surely my character would remember he's from the 21st century, and realise he's in some middle-ages type setting what with lack of modern anything, even if he can't specifically remember phones and power etc.

Or would he forget what time period he's from and so the confusion is only from waking up in another body, and not in a whole different time period? Would he just assume that being in the middle-ages is normal?
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:14 pm

Thinks - my first reaction would be to swear as well, especially as Leonie dropped a tray of drinks ;) Plus, swearing fits your character!

I'm not sure what exactly game-me can remember - right now at least she just is thinking along the lines of "WTF?!" haha

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:17 pm

My understanding is that anything from your past your host couldn't understand in terms of the middle ages is gone...So Amanda can remember the cattle farm where she grew up...but not the pickup truck, only a few church scenes from Eufaula, and almost nothing of Dothan and the Army Air base there...

Personally I'm treating everything that came via the Host as sort of a movie memory. The scene is there but somehow not quite real...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm

As I understand what she said we'd remember generic concepts but not specifics. So you might remember owning a shop, even what type of shop. You'd remember living in apartments, even which floor or apartment size. But you might not remember what the floors or walls were made of. So if you tried to remember those things you might imagine your shop as a medieval type shop and your apartment as a medieval apartment. You wouldn't quite remember but your brain would try to fill in the hazy bits with what it now knows which is medieval.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Ok cool that makes sense. Was just wondering if my character would be primarily focussed on 'WTF just happened?' or if they would also be focused on 'Where the hell is this? This looks like medieval times!' but as you've pointed out, they probably couldn't differentiate between different time periods so I'll just go with it being normal to be in a medieval world and focus on WTF :D
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Well I'm going with Huh? This whole place is wrong...why is it wrong...uhhhhh...f****

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:50 pm

*wonders if almost useless knowledge I will still have* like say...telling the gender of a young rabbit. Or the type of bird. Or how to gague the meatiness of a rabbit or chicken before killing it. Or how to make wax paintigs since wax paintings has been here since at least time of egyptians...

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:04 pm

I would say whatever a hunter knows, it looks like thats what you are? In those times, people with specific professions spent long hours at their job and did very little else. Eg a baker probably worked from sun-up till sun-down, so wouldn't have had much time for hobbies or side pursuits. So you'd know about tracks and trails, wildlife, snares, survival skills etc, but you might not know how to bake bread or mix a healing potion, and you most likely would not know how to make wax paintings :lol:

Just my thoughts.

EDIT: Oh I see what you meant, useless knowledge that your character had, not your host. I'd say anything that is relevant, so if Bri knew how ripe fruit should be before picking, then Book would know. But not anything that relates to Earth history, because we are not in a Earth-type setting. In Ebhen, they wouldn't have had Egyptian history or anything that stemmed from Egyptian culture eg hieroglyphics, wax paintings etc.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:14 pm

I hope i still am able to art.

...yea i know many random useless informations about things. :lol:

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:36 pm

*Laughs* Yeah two art students...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:29 am

Nikohl, what do you mean by flavored cheeses? I've encountered different kinds of cheese with different flavors, but I'm not sure any of them would count as having been flavored. Then again, I don't know much about the cheese making process. Personally, I'm fond of camembert, but part of that is that you can't find the real stuff in the US. Despite inventing the process, the French do not pasteurize their milk before making cheese with it, and the US won't let you import non-pasteurized milk products. Which rather limits our cheese selections.

Thinks, I personally am unusually fussy about swearing. I reserve those words for the rare times when they're actually necessary, so that they still have real meaning. Which means I take them more seriously and therefore react more strongly to them. That said... Go ahead. Be yourself. Speak naturally. It's thoughtful of you to offer, but I don't want to censor you. I wouldn't do it in real life. (I just ask people to keep it down a little in the main discussion forum, as we have many members with different standards, including young adolescents.)

I do hope character friction doesn't become too personal. That's the one down side of having so many of us playing a version of ourselves.

It is going to take me a while to get a good grip on how much my character knows, which is why I mostly have him fuzzy-headed and disoriented now. But that seems perfectly natural, given the situation.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:25 am

I don't mind the swearing, not a language I would usually use but I don't put too much into it either :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:51 am

If it will probably tone down in due course to be honest once we've got past this initial shock!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:49 am

You've all got the right idea as far as memories and their fuzziness. You know this isn't where you're from, and everything seems kind of crappier and more primitive, but when you try and focus on something new as an example of that, anything super-modern has gone. "Ugh, this road is just compacted dirt! Why don't they have... Um... Huh. All I can remember is dirt roads or cobbles, so why do I think they're crappy?"

So if you wanted, Synch, you can understand that this isn't your time, but you won't be able to really pinpoint why!

Burns: drawing etc you will not have forgotten how to do, just like anyone can pick up crayons and rock out on a piece of paper; you just didn't get a level in a skill for it because everyone was limited to three. You can practice and get good pretty quickly if it's something you want to keep up with, the memory of 'liking art' hasn't been taken from you :)

And re: tasty cheese, we have cheeses with added fruits, nuts, spices etc; smoked cheeses; cheeses imbued with a product (like Tabasco cheese, which is good, and Marmite cheese, which is rank) - I like all of that kind of thing, but only really as a novelty, usually at Christmas or something. Wensleydale with Cranberries and White Stilton with Apricots are two common ones - also Red Leicester with Chili Peppers which is amazing with some crackers and a pickle.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:18 am

Wow, group 1 aren't acting weirdly or suspiciously in the Tavern AT ALL :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing how the villagers react to all this!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:19 am

I'm trying not to! She dropped a tray which obviously gets noticed... and it's not Leonie's fault that those silly men think she's in distress for having dropped a tray! She's trying to talk to her boss and is feeling totally embarassed - which is a perfectly normal response to having dropped a tray in the middle of a tavern! :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:27 am

It was more Wears walking up to you (a person he's presumably known for at least a while) and introducing himself as the "local militia" and then being shyly poked by Bri :D But who knows what we knew and what will draw attention or not - you guys might be playing your previous roles perfectly, it's just funny trying to guess!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:30 am

NOt as funny as Asks cursing at a little kid or you yelling about wearing a dress :P

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:31 am

*Eh* we're not having as much fun in Two at the moment...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:33 am

Hey, I'm just trying to be friendly to the waitress that fell and shift focus away from the fact he actually were curled up on the floor from the pain xD
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread