The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 am

Can you find what he said at all? I think there's going to be a lot of thread-searching for info :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:38 am

thinkslogically wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:18 pm All right, here we go on loot:

Copper chalice with silver inlay (No idea if it's actually magical or not): Only mentioned once that I can see; was part of the loot from the Mouther caves.
Just worth some gold to someone.
thinkslogically wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:18 pmScreaming bronze mask: Found in the Elder / Tree Blight thing ((Same link as below))
Wonderous item, uncommon (requires attunement)

•Contains 4 unreplenishable charges of the Expeditious Retreat spell.
•The bearer can use an action to amplify their voice so that it clearly carries for up to 300 feet.
thinkslogically wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:18 pmVial of thick liquid: Found in the Elder / Tree Blight thing ((Same link as above))
Potion of Invulnerability

For 1 minute after you drink this potion, you have resistance to all damage.

Distance wise, you guys are 2/3 - 3/4 of the way from the Vale to Esmont. You're at least as far from the Ancient Gnomish Ruins as you are from Esmont.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 am

Well that potion is going to be useful as hell :D

Nem has Thaumaturgy and can already dash as a bonus action, so the mask is probably best used by someone else (Randy?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:49 am

Dornikal meant snakes literally, though some of those are considered monsters :). But you can ask more IC.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 am

I don't recall exactly what was mentioned either, but I think we had at least one instance mention the snake people live somewhere in the desert..?

Anyways, for Ulmwin's level up... I'm getting a bit torn looking at things again. I think for this level at least I'll want the ASI, but take the actor feat to bump up my CHA to 16 and gain some epic prank potential. I'll even amp up the potential by regaining disguise self, and I'll be seeing if I replace a spell, but probably not.

But, the torn part comes when I look at the extra cantrip which is... Probably going to be vicious mockery because it IS hilarious and I can definitely see it's appeal, although it's not really what I'm looking for from a combat perspective. I'd prefer a combat cantrip that can deal reliable damage so I don't have to rely on the crossbow all the time, which... Vicious mockery isn't, really. It's the thing you use for when you want brownie points, are dealing with an enemy with high AC but low WIS and are out of other spells, or when you really have just no other options...

Which is why I'm thinking of maybe dipping into sorcerer or warlock, next level..? That'd give me access to a couple more offensive cantrips. It'd probably have to be warlock unless we can bullshit figure out a way for Ulmwin to have a sorcerer heritage.

In each case, probably not something that can be done on short notice, so... I'll definitely take the ASI for now. :P

Also is the potion one use only or?

And Ulmwin should take the screaming mask it fits him :lol:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:19 am

Hmmm... yeah it's a tricky choice. Bards really only have Vicious Mockery, huh?

I guess one thing to think about if you're looking for reliable damage, is that more dice are more reliable than bigger dice. But... Vicious Mockery is still about as weak as it gets damage wise. The benefit of it is that it's a damage type that is unusual (so there won't be too much with resistance to it), and it gives disadvantage. It's still more of a debuff than an offensive spell IMO, but assuming you stick with bard, it'll at least get more powerful as you level up.

I think Poison Spray (warlock / wizard) is the biggest damage dice (1d12) for any of the cantrips, but it's a pretty common damage type, and a lot of stuff will be straight up immune to poison.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:53 am

Not too seem grabby, but Expeditious Retreat would be useful for Dornikal to reach targets while raging. If item activated spells are allowed while raging?

It isn't a big point but if no one else wants it it would make Dornikal more mobile during combat. 4 times.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:25 am

M0rtimer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 am but I think we had at least one instance mention the snake people live somewhere in the desert..?
You did just clear out a tomb full of them...
M0rtimer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 amIt'd probably have to be warlock unless we can bullshit figure out a way for Ulmwin to have a sorcerer heritage.
If you'd rather sorcerer, we can make it work.
M0rtimer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 am In each case, probably not something that can be done on short notice, so... I'll definitely take the ASI for now. :P
So not taking the Actor feat? ASI is 2 points in one, or 1 point in two ability scores.
M0rtimer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 am Also is the potion one use only or?
Yeah, potions are 1 use unless started otherwise.
thinkslogically wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:19 am Hmmm... yeah it's a tricky choice. Bards really only have Vicious Mockery, huh?
XGtE adds thunderclap, but that's a 5ft radius area one, so more of a 'oh spoons, I'm surrounded' one.

thinkslogically wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:19 ambut assuming you stick with bard, it'll at least get more powerful as you level up.
Cantrip damage increases with character level, not class level, so it'll go up along with other folks cantrip damage when you hit 5th level.

thinkslogically wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:19 am I think Poison Spray (warlock / wizard) is the biggest damage dice (1d12) for any of the cantrips,
Toll the dead also uses d12 if they aren't at full HP, but most live in the d6-d10 range.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 am

The actor feat gives +1 CHA as well as the disguise stuff.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am

Yes, M0rt said he was taking both that and the ASI?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 am

In terms of the mask, not sure the Death Eater look is really Randy's style.
th.jpg
Once he goes Monk, as long as he skips the armor, he gets extra mobility anyway. Probably stick with ranger through 5. The extra attack ability and getting access to 2nd level spells will be useful. Once he's monk, he won't be able to use the breast plate without taking a penalty in movement, but if he drops it, he'll only lose one point in armor class. One of the big bonuses he gets with monk is the mobility factor. Question for you Spider, do Ki effects stack with PW or is it one or the other?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 am

No no, just meant to say that I'll take the ASI as in the actor replacement. Which technically isn't the same as it's an alternative you can take to the ASI but... You get what I mean >_>

And honestly, I'll have to look into what I might wanna do- It seems partially tempting to (eventually) put three levels into warlock because that'd unlock some neat stuff as well, before focusing solely on bard... Sorcerer on the other hand, I'd only really want one level in to get everything out of it I'd want without having to dedicate too many levels to it. On the other hand, that's also only just one level- Decisions, decisions... On first glance it looks like I might actually prefer warlock, though- Albeit likely the celestial pact since Ulmwin isn't quite the guy to go sell his soul or something along those lines :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Ok, so taking the Actor feat instead of ASI.

My old sorcerer/warlock just took Actor before that campaign ended, Mask of Many Faces and friends were a lot of fun.

Lurks, anything that lets you use your bonus action to do something precludes you from using it to do something else, so it's one or the other.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:32 pm

I dunno if we'll get to l20 this campaign, but it's worth looking at what you'll miss out on at the top levels by dipping too. I have no idea what different classes get at the top end though, so up to you.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Eh, for bard at least it's not that great- Just makes it so that you replenish bardic inspiration in combat every time if you're out... You know... That one skill that Ulmwin doesn't use as often as he should probably? :lol:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes - BI is kind of great when we remember it exists! :lol: I think at higher levels it gets up to like a d10 or something too right? ((I havent looked it up, just watching critical role :D ))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Goes up to d12 actually, at level 15... I should really just start dishing it out a bit more, even if it's just for his own attacks. I just suffer from the same thing I do in every game, the "potion debacle"- "I only have X of these, if I use one now what if I need it later..?"

Except BI is easily renewable and I never end up using it because of it... When I'm not just forgetting about it :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:53 pm

yeah, video game habits are hard to break :)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:45 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:09 pm Lurks, anything that lets you use your bonus action to do something precludes you from using it to do something else, so it's one or the other.
I kinda figured that'd be the case. I couldn't remember if Ki was a bonus action or not, although I guessed it probably was. At least initially, PW will likely have more damage potential, although there could be some interesting effects for Ki later on.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 pm

M0rtimer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pmeven if it's just for his own attacks.
Unfortunately that's one thing you can't use it on.... Do keep in mind you have Cutting Words now too, you can use a BI to reduce an enemy's roll to hit.
Lurks_In_Shadows wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:45 pm I kinda figured that'd be the case. I couldn't remember if Ki was a bonus action or not, although I guessed it probably was. At least initially, PW will likely have more damage potential, although there could be some interesting effects for Ki later on.
You're already going to be going for a strange hybrid, so you're probably not going to be using your BA like a monk most of the time.
When you use the Attack action with an Unarmed Strike or a monk weapon on Your Turn, you can make one Unarmed Strike as a Bonus Action.

This would be a separate attack, and it would start out dealing 1d4+DEX. Also requires you to be using a monk weapon or unarmed strike for your Main attack. Probably not strictly better on its own.
Flurry of Blows
Immediately after you take the Attack action on Your Turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a Bonus Action.
Maybe... also worth noting that it doesn't say you need to be using a monk weapon to use it, so there may be times when two unarmed would be preferable to stacking PW.
Patient Defense
You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a Bonus Action on Your Turn.
I could see this one being used, if you're getting swarmed, it would give all attacks against you disadvantage for the cost of giving up a d8 of damage against them. Good delaying tactic if you're caught out on your own.
Step of the Wind
You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a Bonus Action on Your Turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn.
Likewise if you need to get somewhere and being able to move 60 feet while attacking, or move 90 feet in a round...
Shadow Arts
At 3rd level, as an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast Darkness, Darkvision, Pass Without Trace, or Silence, without providing material components. Additionally, you gain the Minor Illusion cantrip if you don't already know it.
Ki usage that can take place outside of combat too, and takes your Action to cast rather than BA.
Shadow Step
At 6th level, when you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.
Nice for maneuverability and surprise attacks, just wouldn't be able to stack PW on them that turn.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 am

I've obviosly missed out on a lot of chatter, luckily it doesn't seem to affect me.

Dornikal, you win a Golden trophy for being most active in the spreadsheet other than Spider or myself. Your help is most appreciated.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 am

My pleasure, I have a long history with spreadsheets. Let me know if there is anything specific you would like me to do.

Also, Spider didn't Korgal have any bolts?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:33 am

I don't have any specific requests, but you're doing a wonderful job as a double-check system.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:18 am

Unfortunately that's one thing you can't use it on.... Do keep in mind you have Cutting Words now too, you can use a BI to reduce an enemy's roll to hit.
Yeah, about that for a moment... How would we wanna do this? Can I just use it on an attack that already hit to try and make it end up missing, or would I need to do it in advance..? Raw cutting words requires you to declare the use at the very last after the enemy rolled, but before it's been declared if the attack works or not. (Which seems a bit weird on CW, given that an enemy action against you you'll likely know whether it will be a hit or miss..?)

In this forum format, though, enemy attacks are immediately resolved because pausing every time to see if there's actions on those would take far too long, so...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 am

Rodgeir wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 am Also, Spider didn't Korgal have any bolts?
Sure... say 60 bolts.
M0rtimer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:18 am
Do keep in mind you have Cutting Words now too, you can use a BI to reduce an enemy's roll to hit.
Yeah, about that for a moment... How would we wanna do this? Can I just use it on an attack that already hit to try and make it end up missing, or would I need to do it in advance..? Raw cutting words requires you to declare the use at the very last after the enemy rolled, but before it's been declared if the attack works or not. (Which seems a bit weird on CW, given that an enemy action against you you'll likely know whether it will be a hit or miss..?)

In this forum format, though, enemy attacks are immediately resolved because pausing every time to see if there's actions on those would take far too long, so...
"You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the DM determines whether the attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage."

Yeah, not sure on the intent of the wording... if the DM is rolling behind the screen, you wouldn't even know what number they rolled as written, only if it's an open roll. I suppose if you're at a table that is open rolling, or the DM has a bad poker face, you can hold off until they roll and judge whether you want to use it?

Doesn't help us here... I think it will just have to be a bit more open... you'll have the info, just try not to act too much on meta damage/roll information?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler