The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Halflings are lucky, which is pretty cool. Otherwise, I can't think of many racial traits that are really cool. Nice flavour by and large, but nothing that forces you into a particular play style (sunlight sensitivity perhaps notwithstanding).

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:47 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:25 pm They are the only race with a breath weapon... how much more dragony can you get? Racial feats, and feats in general are optional, and as such I think they tried to design them such that they remain optional, rather than making the racial feat a MUST for anyone playing that race. That being said, I can't recall what they are, so must not have made that much of an impact on me...
I...I don't know. Sorry.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Since forum text doesn't always convey tone, I'm not upset or anything, you just seem dissatisfied and I'm trying to pin that down. If you don't think Maji feels dragony, is there something we can be doing RPwise that would help the race feel better? If you're just looking to powergame your race, I probably can't help, but if it's something else, we might be able to address it?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:44 pm

It's probably partically my fault with Maji's backstory and him not really knowing dragonborns (he knows of what, three? And he accidently killed one of those). He probably won't find any in Easmont (the human city if I remember correctly).

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:27 am

Esmont is a blended city. Spider knows all, but in Dornikal's time there he ran into a good mix of races there. Szartha likely has a number of contacts if Maji is looking for some interaction with other dragonborn in town.

The west cities are human.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 am

Ah, I can see that. Feel free to have him spend more time with Szartha, might be able to connect him to his 'people' more!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:33 am

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't there supposed to be dragonborn (and dragons) in the north of this world? (Randy learned to speak dragon SOMEWHERE).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 am

They don't have their own nation, but there are small groups that live various places. There are probably some really interesting books written in Draconic, as well as other reasons for Randy to have learned it. Coming from your background, it would be entirely feasible for you to have learned it from a non-native speaker, someone else in your order who was fluent and taught you.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:42 am

Happy turkey day folks that celebrate it!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:50 am

Happy Thanksgiving all! And to everyone here: I'm very grateful for our nice little corner of the internet :)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Hope you all had a good one, (and didn't over do it).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Just to clarify, Renny swinging his ladle is an actual ladle, not a "ladle" for Lurk's firewall...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there any ruling on trying to tame an axebeak as a riding mount? They have an almost xenophobic disposition in the literature, so I wasn't sure it would be possible or what it would take to do it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Would probably be a 'raise from the egg' scenario... And they'd likely need an outlet for their aggressive nature.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:19 pm

Or have a druid :P

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Maji is more of a kill and eat druid than a raise and befriend druid...

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be as easy as walking up to them and charming them with Randy's winning personality. I suppose if Holger actually wanted to use Charm on them, he might be able to pull it off. :chuckle: ((Does Holger even know that spell?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:44 pm Maji is more of a kill and eat druid than a raise and befriend druid...
Yea, but he can be an axe beak :P

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Well, 'swordbeak' in this case. Which makes me wonder what else is different about these birds? :shifty:

edit: I yield to the inevitable. :chuckle:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:47 pm

So this last day of travel, I've been trying something different with regard to travel to hopefully make it more interesting and dynamic (adapted from Angry GM). The gist is that you will be able to declare whether you're traveling regular, fast, or slow each day, and that will be subtracted from the total travel time remaining. So after the night's travel, you've 13 travel days within the desert proper remaining. If you push your pace, you'd cover 1 1/3 travel days each night, but that might have other impacts.

At the start of each days travel, I'll roll 6d6 in order for the next 24 hours. The current danger level of where you're traveling will determine the number below which something will happen in that window of the day.

You're currently in dangerous frontier, so a roll of 2 or less on two die resulted in coming across snake track, and then Renny running across birds.

If the 6d6 result in something happening during the rest period (daytime for you), then I'll randomly determine who is on watch, so we don't need to decide on watch order each night. I'll probably apply some rules to watch, such as 1) each watch includes someone with dark vision, 2) Renny is only ever a 3rd watch person.

Can apply other rules if you would like too... (No Maji and Zephyr together, Holger and Tess on the same watch, etc?)

Any thoughts, questions?
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Sounds good to me. Nem is a bit of a night owl, so would typically take earlier watches so she's not trying to force herself to sleep at weird and early times of the night. Now her tiefling nature is something of an open secret, she's less worried about disguising herself or hiding her darkvision abilities, though she will still keep it secret outside the immediate group.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:01 pm

No complaints here. Sounds good.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Fun way to keep things interesting!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Traveling at night and sleeping during the day may suit Tess then.

The times of day roughly correspond to:
Dawn
Morning
Afternoon
Sunset
Late Night
Wee Hours
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Paces:

Slow: You're moving carefully, and would get Advantage on checks to perceive danger, and any hostiles may have Disadvantage to notice your movement. You can attempt to travel stealthily and hide signs of your passage. You can forage from the surrounding environment if you keep a slow pace, and would be less likely to get lost, but counts for only 2/3 progress.

Regular: You move normally, and can forage, but with Disadvantage.

Fast: You move more quickly (1 1/3 progress), but cannot forage and have Disadvantage to perceive danger and avoid getting lost. Hostiles have Advantage to detect or track you.

(Having a ranger and an outlander in the party can potentially affect some of the getting lost/foraging bits.)

As far as the desert goes, I'd also say that a Regular pace would sync up with the wells, but there are also some places where the wells have filled in, or been lost over the years, particularly in the heart of the desert. Also, you don't NEED to camp at the wells, it is just convenient, so most caravans do so when they are available. I'd also say that a Fast pace would increase water usage, though that is largely circumvented by having 2 casters that can create water.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler