The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:33 am

That would be appropriate haha. If it's Bramble, Nem will be quite peeved haha!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:34 am

Was Brambles always female? :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:45 am

Yup. Rusty was the boy :)

And yes, the other mules were named with no regard for their sex or the gender of their namesakes :lol:
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:46 am

M0rtimer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:34 am Was Brambles always female? :P
Slight discrepancy in the only times that gendered pronouns were used, but Bramble was introduced to the party as "she", so I'll take the second instance of "he" as a typo.
thinkslogically wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 am ...this is Rusty and Bramble. Rusty's fairly obvious, on account of that red flare in his mane, and Bramble is bramble because she keeps wandering off into thickets of them after the berries!"
thinkslogically wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:31 pm ... then rushes to try and catch Bramble before he crashes the cart off the road again.
Not saying it's her, of course. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:23 pm

How did I know that it was going to be Brandy? :chuckle:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:22 pm

Hopefully taking a day trip to visit my sister and 2 month old nephew tomorrow, if I have an action from Holger I'll try to update from phone.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:17 am

Question, would Ulmwin know whether dragons like this understand common? Would that require a roll of some kind? :shifty:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:21 am

Pretty sure they don't even know dragon. These are more like the dumb second cousins of dragon kind.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 am

Really dumb cousins. Maji did not know this however.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 am

It would take a roll or some sort as an action. I don't think anyone even pinged what these are, which is why I've only been referring to them as dragonkin.

However, you did hear them being addressed in something that you would probably assume is Draconic based on context clues, and all they did was screech back at Maji and Randy...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:53 am

So how does the mist act cover wise? I'm asking because I know spells still require line of sight (mechanic wise at least, perhaps not always logically) but how does it act towards spells with no AC? Does it essentially act as full cover or how is this treated..?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 am

Spider said in the game thread that the area is heavily obscured, which means anyone in the foggy area is essentially blind, but also hidden (at least visually, though the smell from the fog might mask scent as well).

Rules as Written ((since this is special fog, it may work somewhat differently, but it seems to fit so far with how Nem's attack went down)):

Unseen Attackers and Targets
Combatants often try to escape their foes’ notice by Hiding, casting the Invisibility spell, or lurking in Darkness.

When you Attack a target that you can’t see, you have disadvantage on the Attack roll. This is true whether you’re guessing the target’s location or you’re targeting a creature you can hear but not see. If the target isn’t in the location you targeted, you automatically miss, but the GM typically just says that the Attack missed, not whether you guessed the target’s location correctly.

When a creature can’t see you, you have advantage on Attack rolls against it. If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an Attack, you give away your location when the Attack hits or misses.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:10 am

It mechanically acts the same as darkness would for someone without darkvision, you can't see into or through it at all.

"A heavily obscured area — such as Darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature effectively suffers from the Blinded condition (see Conditions ) when trying to see something in that area."

"Blinded
A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.

Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s Attack rolls have disadvantage."

In terms of spells, it would depend on the wording. If it says "you can see" as any part of the spell descriptor, then that would be out. If it just says "creature/point within range", that should be valid. If you have a particular spell in mind, I can check wording and give input.

Also, that last bit on blinded does mean that if there are two creatures that are blind, if creature A is attacking B, then A gets advantage because B can't see A, but disadvantage because A can't see B, so it's a straight roll. So, would have been that straight roll for Tess even without Ily's help. Of course that means knowing where the creature is to be able to aim/stab in the right place to start with, but since it ended its turn planning to munch on Holger next turn, I judged that she knew where it was before it became obscured, and could aim in the right place.

:ninja:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 am

That doesn't answer how a spell without AC works in this situation though. I (and Ulmwin) know that if he gets a bit further up the hill, he SHOULD have vision to Maji and/or Holger, if it weren't for the fog... But there's no disadvantage to be rolled. Does that mean I can use the spell but it'd miss if I wouldn't have had line of sight after all, or can those spells simply not be used on hidden foes/allies?

And I got ninja'd :P Yeah, okay that answers what I need to know. Can't use healing word to heal anyone, but I could use dissonant whispers, right? It only specifies it has to be in range.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 am

I'm not sure what you mean by spell without AC, as I don't know what would be meant by spell with AC (attacks?)?

Right, HW you need to be able to see, but DW, the target just has to be able to hear. You'd just fix in your mind who you wanted to be affected, and if they can hear it, they have to make the save.

Randy's planar warrior feature fell under the same issue, he needs to see it to latch onto it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:37 pm

► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Well, that could have been awkward.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 pm

And as usual, Ulmwin will probably remain mostly oblivious to the fact he saved the day. Good thing too, he'd probably be talking about it all day :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:54 am

I had my suspicions and tried to debate with my self wether or not I wanted that to happen :lol:
I think they may have added Eladrins as an elven subrace that's linked to the fae realm in one of the supplemental books? That would have been very fitting :p

Would also have been a definite proof that I'm trustworthy teamplayer when I'm literally giving my life to help the one I hate the most in the group! :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:00 am

Magic is weird...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:07 am

Holger's weird magic is even weirder.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:33 am

Welcome to Randy's world of near death experiences! During your out of body experience, it is highly recommended that you DO NOT look directly at the friendly Chthulian elder god . :lol:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 am

Also, don't eat hallucinogenic berries from weirdo hermits