The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:48 am I have a pdf version TftYP, but haven't read through anything in there. I was holding it as a 'break in case of emergency' dungeon source in case I run out of juice and needed to mine it for ideas.
Yup! That's exactly what I've got it for too :lol:

How much use it gets in the WA really depends on how much interest there is for diving into vast, sprawling dungeons on a whim :D

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 am

If this forum game is to be any indication, even small, moderately sprawling dungeons can take months real time. A whim that has a long follow through!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:39 am

I made my own world because that is what I really love to do and I probably have made enough dungeons/encounters to get them to level 10 but after that...?

Roll20 has some drop anywhere premade dungeons you can buy that I will probably grab to use as filler/save time as I work on the main quest elements but I'm at a lose for higher level monsters. Probably just need to read some monster manuals for inspiration. Or bug you all in about 6 months.

Maybe Dornikal will make some jewelry then. He is more of a stone guy but it's all from Dumathoin's realm. :shrug:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 am

Hey, if you ever fancy running a forum game on here I'd play :D

If you haven't watched Critical Role, the videos for their first campaign starts around level 9 and it might be worth watching a few episodes for a bit of inspiration. I'm sure you can find an episode guide online if you look, which should give you an idea of the types of enemies they face as they go. It doesn't seem to be too much more different to lower-level play except the monsters are obviously either tougher or far more numerous, and everyone can apparently fly by that point in the game :lol:

I do think that it's less easy to plan for high-level games because the players have so many possible solutions to any given problem, but we'll see what happens. Level 6 is as high as I've ever run, so I'm probably not a very good source of information!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:15 am

You guys are as high as I've ever run, as I've only run a handful of one shots in person. Mord's does have a lot of high end monsters, so may be useful at some point.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:50 am

Higher levels have more options, true. And that's both good and bad. Case in point: the infamous "Let's fireball the balrog" game I mentioned before. You have more powerful options to deal with obstacles, but a failure is likely to be a study in "catastrophic consequences". >:D Whatever the case, succeed or fail, it's likely to make for a memorable game when you play the high levels. :P

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:28 pm

I've considered running a game, probably a blend of forum and roll20 for combat. During slow times at work and during the summer it'd work but once classes started I'd probably not be able to maintain any sort of reasonable update schedule.

But I'm enjoying it IRL so maybe sometime early next year, work and family allowing.

Until then, I will start researching!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:56 pm

:lol: Levelling up sounds utterly ridiculous when you strip away the mechanics!

Theis - As I'm sure you figured out, I also PM'd spider my roll :) If Holger turns out to be some relation to Merric there's going to be words :lol:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Damn! I should have picked old ones warlock for Holger too! Damn, that's one great missed opportunity to try collide the two games! :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Especially if your extraplanar entities were actually me and spider :lol:

Saying that, I haven't been reading Holger's secrets, so I guess you just eliminated one option! :D

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:24 am

I like to think I'm too creative at coming up with games, but not disciplined enough to do the rolls and updates for long term. I had great success with the GAL games, and I would say I enjoyed those the most, and then there was AoD which was super fun but I think maybe too open ended, but it also intersected my marriage problems.

AoD became more an RPG than a table-top though, because skills didn't mean much as I'd learned.
If I did anything again, I think I would relaunch AoD and either try to make skills relevant or try to make it as a strictly Writing game, though writing games sometimes have lack in enthusiasm from people.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:44 pm

All right, so at this point, (excluding personal purchases), we have:

1. traded their Trade Goods for Szartha's (which in meta terms also allows us to keep Dornikal near the party);
2. sold some booze for 95 Gold (to go into group funds);
3. still have 20 1lb ingots each of silver and gold, plus a whole load of gemstones available for sale (now or in the Eastern Cities).
4. at least three timelines of stuff

Is there anything else to track while we're here?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:26 pm

The gems weigh nearly nothing so the ingots are probably the best to dump weight wise if we are trying to empty Kershala's coffers. It actually would have been good to pay with silver ingots if that was possible (unless you paid with copper coins).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Yeah, I paid with copper and silver :lol:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:43 pm

Yep, Coljin dumped his copper and silver too, to pay for his herbs.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 pm

Randy would have used his copper and silver first as well.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 pm

I'm back at home, so updates from my end will happen more regularly again!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 am

About time your fun was over!

Hope it was a great family reunion :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 am

Hope you have some more summer fun left Spider!

Also I have got to say the whole ring thing is confusing. I am guessing it is all explained in the spoilers but, spoon is it confusing based on what was visible. It makes Holger look like an jerk, though I don't think Dornikal paid it much attention.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:24 am

The spoilers covered a bunch of other stuff that's nothing to do with the ring, but has culminated in Nem (probably later in the evening) grumbling at the mules about how Holger's an ass.

The ring purchasing is separate and just weird, and Holger's being a dick about that too :lol: ...or he was trying to manipulate Nem into stealing it for him, but I don't think that's better haha!

Also, in case it's not clear, my annoyance at Holger is all IC. OOC this is pretty funny :D

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 am

Holger has an invisible ring of anger bears party members that no one knows about because he's en egotistical ass. But that has nothing to do with Kershala and her ring.

Holger have gotten his level in his privacy luckily and can see magic auras now and used that to potentially swindle Kershala depending on what her magic heirloom ring does. Might be he overpaid her but time will tell I guess. But Holger just hope no one thinks too much of it.

Definitely not funny.. Holger needs to find some new and better party members soon! Preferably all female and swooning over him :shifty:
I might be too used to inner party conflicts, it tends to be a recurring theme with the guys I've been playing with so it often ends in everyone for themselves. So no hard feelings on my end for any shit Holger is taking lately, even though that's not how his story is supposed to go! (according to him :lol: )
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:07 am

:lol: yeah, it's why Nem held off on telling him he's an idiot until she was sure he wasn't going to talk. Ah well, maybe he'll see the error of his ways (I won't hold my breath).

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:07 am

I don't mind conflict, but I avoid to do anything harmful on a player character. That being said, Maji would most likely go against that if he's angry enough.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm more worried about Burns disliking me, since none of our characters get along :lol:

To be fair, no one seems to like Merric more than how useful he was in a given situation xD
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Korrik has some measure of fondness for the little freak, but isn't so keen on his god.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler