The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:37 am

M0rt, Dornikal could use the rapier. It would be nice to have a healing capability during a fight. Also since the healing is based on CR level + Con it would be a minimum +5 HP for him. It would have been great to have during the first fight with the orcs...

Would Yertak's longsword be an okay exchange weapon? It is probably as long as you are tall though.

They both do things to help extend his life when he gets in the thick of it, but if the rapier and the scabbard are too much Dornikal would prefer the rapier.

Also added your two items fully to the loot page and put them under Ulwmin.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 am

*Pictures a gnome wielding a sword like he's Cloud from final fantasy*

Yeah, sure, unless Spider says it would be too big for him. :P

And ah, right, that's good! I only had them listed in my personal inventory it seems.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:39 am

Well, according to the rules it isn't a heavy weapon so...? That is a pretty cool image though.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 am

thinkslogically wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:19 am That's a pretty big change to the way FF works as written IMO. If Ily can deliver the spell as if he cast it, it seems like the intent is just to allow FF to offset a touch spell effect by up to 100 feet.
I think this is a case of RAW vs RAI(ntended) vs RAI(nterpreted)... The 'use of the reaction to deliver the spell', and the 'you must touch or do this while casting' parts are my sticking points. In order for him to deliver it (as an instantaneous thing), you need to cast it, and if you need to touch or do a thing for a minute or longer in order to cast it, but you aren't doing that thing, then you're not able to cast it, in my mind.

HOWEVER... since find familiar is not terribly clear on this point... sure...
Rodgeir wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:39 am Well, according to the rules it isn't a heavy weapon so...? That is a pretty cool image though.
Bards are proficient with longswords, and it isn't a heavy weapon, so Ulmwin can swing it. However, it isn't a finesse weapon, so he's using his 10 Strength to do so.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 am

Maybe one of the short swords would be better M0RT?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 am

Short sword would give him +4 to hit rather than +2.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:39 am

My own opinion on the familiar thing: it does extend range, but it's not like it'll magically reduce time to cast... For example, if you want your familiar to be the one to deliver writing to a piece of wall, that's fine- But you need your familiar to be touching that piece of wall for the intended duration, while you as the character still need to spend the required time casting the spell... You cannot spend ten minutes casting a ritual, and then have the familiar spend one action touching where you want the ritual to affect. OR do stuff for ten minutes while your familiar is "casting". For some things that might not make a lot of thematic sense, such as illusory script, but hey, magic.

Oh also, right, I forgot about finesse for a second. Yeah, that's kinda important- I don't think he'd have sold his original rapier, though, or that we just have another decent DEX weapon around..?

ninja edit: a short sword would work, yeah. Although a rapier would be better as long as he's just using nothing in his off hand. Or maybe he should go dual wielding..? Are there actually any penalties to that..?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 am

Ah, yeah ok I see what you mean I think. My interpretation was as M0rt says, and I 100% agree about the casting duration part. So, for example, if the spell required Nem to touch something for the duration, then for Ily to deliver the spell he would have to sit still and touch it (e.g. the parchment or unidentified object) for the casting duration instead. So they'd both be "casting" for the full spell time, and Ily just replaces Nem's hands for the purposes of fulfilling the "touching" requirement.

I definitely didn't mean that I want Ily to be able to run around getting up to his own things (or e.g. hide under a desk) for 10 minutes, and then have him pop up and deliver an entire ritual in the space of a reaction.

Either way, I'm more than happy to go with whatever interpretation you're comfortable with, I just wanted to chat about it so I know what is possible :)

EDIT to add: Nem has a short sword or scimitar in her pack I think if Ulmwin wants it. It's only 1d6 damage though, so even a regular rapier is better on that front. Nem has +0 to her CON score, so the magic rapier is probably better off with someone who's going to be more on the front lines and has the CON mod to make it worthwhile.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:50 am

Dornikals Con: 4
Zephyr's 3
Randy's 2

Everyone else drops from there.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 am

Yeah, I think Dornikal is definitely the one who could best make use of it. The one exception I could think of is whether or not temp HP counts as "real" HP for the purposes of keeping rage going.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:06 am

I don't think taking damage matters, I think Spider's just been allowing self-harm as a way for Maji to "attack" something to keep it going, but it's a house rule:

Rage:
Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked Unconscious or if Your Turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on Your Turn as a Bonus Action.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:15 am

Yeah, but if taking self damage to keep rage going is allowed, but you can't do that with temp hp, that is still worth considering.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:33 am

Temporary ho act as regular hp in every way except they can make you have more hp than normal and will vanish after a long rest (or other time limit).
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 am

I thought it wasn't "taking damage" so much as "making an attack" (on yourself). Anyway, spider can clarify I'm sure :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:43 am

I mean I can understand what Spider is trying to do in general with it... It seems kind of dumb that you'd be sprinting straight at an enemy and then, oops, your rage is gone because you couldn't reach him in one turn..?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:01 am

Hadn't considered that the temp HP wouldn't be considered as taking real damage.

Either way my method with Dornikal to always attack, which is why Dornikal has so many weapons. If something is out of melee range he can just drop his melee weapon and throw a javelin. Dornikal is so slow he can't reasonably catch anything in a foot race so the self injury isn't always a good option.

Having a magic sword will probably mean this method needs to be evaluated, but on level 5 he will get faster...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:05 am

@ M0rt - Oh for sure, and I think it's a really good house rule. I reckon the RAW requirement is probably there to prevent cautious barbarian players from getting free resistance in inappropriate circumstances (like raging to take less damage while picking the lock on a trapped chest), and to encourage them to stay in the thick of things while in the rage state.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:06 am

All those javelins should be enough to keep you raging for 1 minute as long as you throw them at someone so there shouldn't be any problems :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:10 am

Yep :), Spider taught me real quick to have ammo on hand. First fight became a 'throw all the things' as the opponent could easily outrun him.

If no one wants those other javelins (not already claimed) Dornikal will gladly take them ;)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:12 am

But yeah, Dornikal should get the rapier, definitely- That's at least 5 temp HP with each foe he fells, so it'd be a massive survivability bump... The only obstacle really would be how he'd get it IC- I'm guessing that once we get the rest of the caravan somewhere safe, he'll want to join up and have sufficiently proven his prowess..? Ulmwin could give it to him at that point.

Also, I'm now just imagining a pissed off barbarian carefully skewering everyone on a rapier... :lol:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:14 pm

The imagery Dornikal with a rapier is a bit odd for me too. A little too dainty a weapon but magic is the great equalizer I guess.

IC we can work it out, and it certainly makes more sense to use the scabbard with it rather than a hammer. The nearest 'safe place' is a long way off no matter the direction we choose so a sooner transfer would probably be good. Especially since I will likely forget :).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:21 pm

I think the main motivation that would be required is just to know that Dornikal would be interested in sticking around with the rest of the group, really. That, together with Zeph already having a magic weapon and Ulmwin not nearly having used that rapier enough, would be enough motivation for him to ask and try it out.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:41 pm

We will see how Spider takes it after a direction has been picked. Once released from his contract with Szartha, or given an indication of when that would be, he will probably have a few reasons to stick with the group to achieve his own goals.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Also as I look at the loot chart I wonder what the:

Screaming bronze mask (Maji's)? (From blight tunnels)
Copper chalice (Group)? (From blight tunnels)
Vial of thick dark liquid (group)? (From blight tunnels)

Do? Did this stuff ever get identified or did miss the ID?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Hmm... Doesn't look like it.

Nem will try to copy the Identify scroll at some point soon tho, so she can practice on them (or let Ulmwin do it if she screws up the copying process)